• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Jack Complete Series coming to Blu-ray (S1-4 remastered in HD!)

Maiden_TY_One

Neo Member
Not at all IMO. I can't even watch the original episodes anymore. It completely ruined the show for me. So many errors and so much wasted time.

Nonsense.

There are no more errors in Season 5 than exist in any one of the Seasons 1 - 4.

And it didn't ruin the show for you. You decided before Season 5 had even aired that you would take the stance of "it ruined the show for me". You just wanted to be the guy who's 'not impressed'.

Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done to please those who are determined to be disappointed. If you were honest with yourself you'd admit that you'd have hated Season 5 no matter what it did. It was simply the fact that it was Season 5, after so many years, and that the majority of people did enjoy it. You have to be different. Contrarian. Too-cool-for-the-room. Hence why you say it "ruined the show for you". The normal reaction to not liking Season 5 would be to just stick with Seasons 1 - 4 - your reaction is one of pretentious contrarianism. Literally every franchise has 'fans' like you - 'fans' who want to be disappointed, who want to convince as many others to share in that disappointment so you can feel like you're ahead of the curve.

DocSeuss

Nonsense.

There are no more errors in Season 5 than exist in any one of the Seasons 1 - 4.

Unfortunately, there's nothing that can be done to please those who are determined to be disappointed. If you were honest with yourself you'd admit that you'd have hated Season 5 no matter what it did. It was simply the fact that it was Season 5, after so many years, and that the majority of people did enjoy it. You have to be different. Contrarian. Too-cool-for-the-room. Hence why you say it "ruined the show for you". The normal reaction to not liking Season 5 would be to just stick with Seasons 1 - 4 - your reaction is one of pretentious contrarianism. Literally every franchise has 'fans' like you - 'fans' who want to be disappointed, who want to convince as many others to share in that disappointment so you can feel like you're ahead of the curve.

I watched the entire show pretty much nonstop, from Episode 1 to the end of Season 5, and I can't see much of a difference other than more vibrant colors and less stylized 60s-style art in the newer series.

Maiden_TY_One

Neo Member
Yes, i have them. As far as i know, all WB published US BDs are region free. I've imported tons of their releases and never had any problems with playback on my region B PS3 and PS4.

That's great to hear. It'd be an absolute kick to the balls if this Blu Ray release was locked to Region A.

I still can't believe that region locking is still a thing in 2017. It's good to see that more and more studios are wising up and making their Blu Rays region free, but not enough for my liking.

Maiden_TY_One

Neo Member
I watched the entire show pretty much nonstop, from Episode 1 to the end of Season 5, and I can't see much of a difference other than more vibrant colors and less stylized 60s-style art in the newer series.

Pretty much.

What few differences there were was an improvement - such as Season 5 being serialized as opposed to stand-alone episodes - as far as I'm concerned, though admittedly that's a matter of opinion/taste.

The only issue I had was that the final episode did feel rushed. I loved what did happen but I was hoping for even more - we never actually got the epic final fight between Jack and Aku. Considering some of the amazing fights they've had throughout the show I was expecting the final one to be phenomenal, but it was over in like 15 seconds and wasn't particularly breathtaking. An epic, fast-paced fight between Jack and Aku with Carpenter Brut - Division Ruine on the soundtrack would've been boner inducing.

There also wasn't much interaction between Jack and the Scotsman, or any of the other characters who returned for the final fight. All in all I think that final episode needed to be double in length, or at least 30 minutes.

But those are very, very minor quibbles considering that a year ago I and everyone else thought Samurai Jack was long dead and we'd never get any kind of conclusion to it.

Some people are just glass-half-empty to the core.

Maiden_TY_One

Neo Member
Incidentally, I made an edit of Season 5 turning it into a single, feature-length movie, removing all the intros and outros and annoying pauses for commercial breaks. It's 3 and a half hours long. I'll be uploading it to some torrent at some point if anyone is interested.

Painguy

Nonsense.

And it didn't ruin the show for you. You decided before Season 5 had even aired that you would take the stance of "it ruined the show for me". You just wanted to be the guy who's 'not impressed'.

Whats your problem dude? I didnt like the show after watching it and now i planned not to like it? Im sorry I dont like what you like. I dont understand why you have to resort to personal attacks & random assumptions about me as a person. The ending was rushed and anti climatic and made jacks adventures seem pointless to me. You dont have to be rude just cuz i have different opinion on a TV show than you. You dont get to decide whats a normal reaction for me either.If you liked it then good for you. Jeeeez Louise.

That's great to hear. It'd be an absolute kick to the balls if this Blu Ray release was locked to Region A.

I still can't believe that region locking is still a thing in 2017. It's good to see that more and more studios are wising up and making their Blu Rays region free, but not enough for my liking.

For us customers that would be ideal, i feel you. WB has been region free on BD from the start and the other big studios do it to varying degrees, but the issue often lies with content that they're distributing without having produced it themselves. Worldwide distribution rights get split up between various distributors and especially the smaller ones wouldn't appreciate their local sales getting undercut by potential imports.

oldmario

do we have any idea if these will be southpark level remasters where they found the original render files and rendered them at a higher res because iirc these were animated in flash or if they're gonna be viz media level upscales

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
do we have any idea if these will be southpark level remasters where they found the original render files and rendered them at a higher res because iirc these were animated in flash or if they're gonna be viz media level upscales

The official 1080p releases of early Simpsons look worse than just upscaling the DVDs yourself.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I wonder what the box will be like. It kinda looks like the Fast and Furious boxset (1-7) with the light up front panel, but it could also be a cheap box to house the individual boxes like the bourne series box set.

Pretty sure Samurai Jack (original seasons) was done with real cels shot on film, not paintbox based with vector assets.

What we would hope for are fresh windowboxed 2K transfers from the original film elements and that the blu-rays are sourced from that. That would not be an upscale.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Pretty sure Samurai Jack (original seasons) was done with real cels shot on film, not paintbox based with vector assets.

What we would hope for are fresh windowboxed 2K transfers from the original film elements and that the blu-rays are sourced from that. That would not be an upscale.
Nope. Samurai Jack was digital from the get go.

Nonsense.

Lmao someone didn't like something that you liked so they're now just hating it for the sake of hating it? Quite the brave post. Personally I was more excited for this season than I ever have been for most other things and after episode 5 I began to become more and more disappointed. Most of the series was badly written and poorly paced, the character development was lazy and one dimensional, and the romance felt forced and rushed. There are legitimate reasons to dislike this series and feel like it did a great disservice to the rest of the show. It's so odd for a season to simultaneously embody some of the best western animation ever made for a series (first four episodes) and also the absolute rock bottom for a series with such high reputation. It's fine that you liked it; in fact, I even envy the fact that you were able to enjoy it. But to say that fans who dislike season 5 aren't true fans is such a ridiculous point of view.

I'm sorry to derail the thread but this post pissed me off just enough

Espada

Barring any kind of serious problems with their HD remaster of S1-4, I am buying this day one. I'm a huge fan of the series and waited forever for these two show up in HD. There are some episodes that are going to shine in HD.

This is probably the first box set I've bought since the Cowboy Bebop DVDs way back when.

Just for you:
SSkdjrj.jpg

The print is metal!

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like some of the previous DVD features are missing, and apparently the S1-4 audio is only 2.0...that's unfortunate, considering the premiere movie DVD had 5.1.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The episodes look so damn good. I’m doing a full rewatch now and first time watching season five.

Unit24

I noticed a bit of audio crackling on season 3. I hope it's a problem with my sound system and not the blurays.

Also, the season 5 extras are incredible. Genndy does his pitch narration for 5 of the episodes.

StoneFox

Avatar: The Last Airbender on Blu Ray as well.

Good luck, ATLA was not shot on film so unless they kept literally all the cels, it would unlikely to ever get a blu ray that doesn't look like complete trash. As much as I would love a true HD release... :c

Samurai Jack on blu ray is a dream.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Good luck, ATLA was not shot on film so unless they kept literally all the cels, it would unlikely to ever get a blu ray that doesn't look like complete trash. As much as I would love a true HD release... :c

Samurai Jack on blu ray is a dream.
Uhhh...Jack was done using the same digital animation methods as Avatar. I just so happened to state earlier in this thread that Samurai Jack was an all digital production from the very beginning.

Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker is a great example of a release that was limited to SD video distribution originally but which was produced from much higher resolution digital assets. See the Blu Ray.

A-V-B

Wouldja believe it, it's the worst case scenario: They lost all the cels. Every single one. And the only way the show exists in archives would be as old tapes from TV broadcasts.

Well, I say "old." They're not old. But the quality is... you know, it's SD circa 2006. If you're lucky it's at least clear, if not guaranteed DVD grade. If you're not lucky... look at the Book One DVD.

StoneFox

Uhhh...Jack was done using the same digital animation methods as Avatar. I just so happened to state earlier in this thread that Samurai Jack was an all digital production from the very beginning.

Samurai Jack was shot on film using cels. The only thing that officially exists of Avatar anymore is the SD videos that were broadcasted on Nickelodeon.

edit: Now I'm not sure, I keep finding conflicting sources on whether or not SJ was on film. Ehhhh.

A-V-B

Samurai Jack was shot on film using cels. The only thing that officially exists of Avatar anymore is the SD videos that were broadcasted on Nickelodeon.

edit: Now I'm not sure, I keep finding conflicting sources on whether or not SJ was on film. Ehhhh.

I distinctly remember an animator on the new season of SJ saying they were doing everything they could in digital to make it look like the old days of SJ where it was all cels and paint.

Top Bottom