• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mental Health |OT2| - Light in the Darkness

Status
Not open for further replies.

N° 2048

Probably losing my job soon, retail is dead. Days are slower, till is getting emptier....

Got hernia and waiting for doctor's appointment so quick labor is out of the question. I also have some issues going on with my prostate it seems, something feels tight down there :/

+ all the mental health issues going on with me....it's getting harder to just open my eyes in the morning let alone get out of bed/the house...

Hamarr

Neo Member
Sorry to hear that. Do you have any leads on other jobs potentially? I have done some temp work when in between long term jobs before that allowed me to find more long term jobs, pick up some new skills, and make new connections. I kind of liked that especially for crappy jobs. I could do them but didn't have to worry about staying there too long.

Good luck on the doctor's appointment. HOpefully it's nothing too serious.

You should give yourself a little more credit. You got groceries and you walked your dog. If thats all you can manage thats OK. Thats good. Just being outside is a good thing. Just keep doing as much as you can.

As for the weightloss stuff. If it makes you feel bad, then set a boundary. You deserve positive people in your life who make you feel like you want to be the best version of yourself. If people who are close to you are making you feel bad, then set a hard boundary on this specific issue. Nobody has a perfect body. If you want to improve your body/fitness level then you should do it. Liking the person you see in the mirror helps with that "Self Love" process.

Just remember to apply some of the steps in the other post. Ask yourself a few questions

1. Does doing this activity make me feel good?
2. Does this activity surround me with people who accept me?
3. Does this activity encourage me and positively reinforce the good behavior i am trying so hard to do?

There are lots of different ways a person can get healthy, be it cooking/eating better (Better doesn't mean perfect), and almost any form of exercise. There are lots to choose from.

Ps. Try not to focus on weight loss. If you are regularly exercising and eating well it will just happen. Set positive goals IE. By the time Mario Odyssey releases i want to be able to do 10 Push ups ect.

PPS. Support groups can be great, especially as safety nets for when things get bad. definitely go if you find something that you want to attend. Just remember that sometimes its good to have people who don't know your past and only care about your present/future. So try and get around people like that as often as you can manage (I know it won't be easy)

Thanks for continuing to reply to me. I've really appreciated the feedback. And a lot of lines up with what I discuss in therapy. It's good to hear this from multiple sources that want to help me.

My counselor mentioned boundaries, as well. Doing some more reading on what I went through when I was younger I might have some codependency issues. I definitely identified seeking others approval and not trusting my own judgement when making decisions and that sort of thing. I thing I tend to seek the approval of women the I did with my mom, and that's when I am not setting up boundaries and let people say some rather negative and discouraging things.

I think my friends genuinely want to help me, but they sometimes say some harsh or negative things that leave me feeling like crap. My counselor suggested I work on setting up boundaries with them. I think a good start is not oversharing and seeking their approval on what I am doing.

It will be hard work, but I can now see that I need to worry about making my own decisions and don't need the approval of others. Thinking back on it, my first instinct when trying something new is that I can't do it, but I always manage my way through it just fine.

Weight is a big one for me. I think the more I come out of depression, the more I realize how much I let myself go. I will work on healthy activities that and being around positive people like you said. There is a walk group that I used to go to that is full of positive people that want to see each other succeed. I work during some of their meetings, but my boss is pretty flexible about those things.

The other group is a 12 step group for adults that grew up in dysfunctional families. I'm a bit leery of 12 step groups, but I have a friend who has pushed me to go to one that was very successful with AA. My counselor also likes the idea of attending one.

oni_saru

So I'm going to see a psychologist tomorrow. I'm pretty nervous. I do have a question. Should i tell this therapist about my suicide ideation on the first appointment or like wait till later sessions?

I guess what I'm worried about is what if this therapist is not a good fit and I need to find a new one. I'm kind of warry about telling her this and not knowing how she will react. I know some therapist are good with dealing with suicidal patients while others will automatically try to get you to be hospitalized without doing a clear assessment of whether i have just passive SI or have an actual plan.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
So I'm going to see a psychologist tomorrow. I'm pretty nervous. I do have a question. Should i tell this therapist about my suicide ideation on the first appointment or like wait till later sessions?

I guess what I'm worried about is what if this therapist is not a good fit and I need to find a new one. I'm kind of warry about telling her this and not knowing how she will react. I know some therapist are good with dealing with suicidal patients while others will automatically try to get you to be hospitalized without doing a clear assessment of whether i have just passive SI or have an actual plan.

I'd wait before opening the flood gates. I think you'd want to get to know the therapist first and see if she is a good fit for you. Also she doesn't know who you are and your personality yet. You should start slow, everything doesnt get fixed in one session.

MechaX

My problems is pretty mundane in comparison; but I got referred to a pretty bad trypophobia related picture and video (hint; it's an MLB The Show 2k17 facial glitch and the topic is on GAF), and I have had constant goosebumps and can't get it out of my head.

The biggest problem with all this is that I associate this particular feeling with a traumatic event in my life that I would much rather forget, and ended up blowing myself into a near anxiety attack.

Basically, is there such a thing as memory bleach or something because this is absolute suffering right now

Hamarr

Neo Member

I think his depends on how much of a danger you are to yourself or how often you have the thoughts. I have been up front about mine when talking to new therapists. I have found that some aren’t comfortable with dealing with suicidal ideation and I prefer to know that up front. I have been dealing with pretty persistent suicidal thoughts since I was a teenager, though. I look for therapists that aren’t going to freak out when I’m just having thoughts and not a danger to myself.

Hey guys, I know I don't post often in here (if ever), but I thought I'd share a video Daniel Howell (danisnotonfire) uploaded today. It really does an excellent job encapsulating my experience with clinical depression, so hopefully it helps so of you out as well. Plus, it can be used to help explain it to people who aren't familiar with it.

https://youtu.be/Wp2TUPo5W0c

I was even considering making a thread for it, considering it's good that people like him who have a great connection with youth are open about mental health issues. But I think it might not be "newsworthy" enough, I suppose.

I think his depends on how much of a danger you are to yourself or how often you have the thoughts. I have been up front about mine when talking to new therapists. I have found that some aren't comfortable with dealing with suicidal ideation and I prefer to know that up front. I have been dealing with pretty persistent suicidal thoughts since I was a teenager, though. I look for therapists that aren't going to freak out when I'm just having thoughts and not a danger to myself.

I pretty much agree with this. It's better to find it out upfront. Any psychologist or counselor worth his or her salt will know how to deal with this properly. It's such a big part of the job. If you happen to find one that isn't great, it's good to find out so early. That way, you don't have to go through the introductory period again of going through everything with him or her to lay the groundwork. I always find that the toughest part -- explaining my issues in detail and how my life has been, etc.

Re: suicidal ideation itself, I've dealt with that too. It's the kind of thing that becomes so common in your thoughts that you start to think it's normal. After going to my psychologist again, I find myself suddenly thinking, "Wow, I haven't thought about suicide in weeks," after it was a daily occurrence for a long, long time.

wandering

Banned

As neojubei said, you might want to see how the rapport is between you first. But I can say at least for me, I've always been frank and honest about my thoughts when they ask during the intake, but I've made it clear that it's just ideation, not intention. So far none the therapists I've seen have tried to take drastic measures.

As neojubei said, you might want to see how the rapport is between you first. But I can say at least for me, I've always been frank and honest about my thoughts when they ask during the intake, but I've made it clear that it's just ideation, not intention. So far none the therapists I've seen have tried to take drastic measures.

This is important too! I used to think about it (a lot, to be honest), but it never came to the point where I had definitive plans for an attempt. I think the closest I've come is "researching" and having a method that would cause the least amount of pain. But, thankfully, I never acted on that. If your therapist understands this, you'll be fine. When I tell my psychologist I've had suicidal ideations, she makes sure to clarify which one, and then just softly reminds me to call someone if it ever worsens.

Two days in a row of just needing to constantly sleep, skipped class and slept like 13 hours yesterday.

Feel like I'm about to do round two of my super duper depression spiral.

Visits with my social worker I feel have been sort of lackluster and I don't feel like I've made any progress towards feeling better to be honest. And my appointment with my psychologist is 3 weeks from now and feeling hopeless again.

neojubei

Two days in a row of just needing to constantly sleep, skipped class and slept like 13 hours yesterday.

You should check to see if you have sleep apnea if you have trouble sleeping and tired throughout the day

You feel sick at all? Are your lymph nodes swollen?

I had mono and didn't know it until I got strep on top. Sleeping 15 hours a day.

Stop by your clinic if you can.

Media

My husband just basically told me my mounting medical debt is such a burden that he want me to stop going to doctors. In other words, I'd be better off dead. Then he could at least collect the insurance money.

I won't do it until the kids are out of school.

jb1234

I want today to be over, mood is at an all time low.

Aye, today's been rough for me too. It'll be over soon and tomorrow is a new day. :) :hug:

My husband just basically told me my mounting medical debt is such a burden that he want me to stop going to doctors. In other words, I'd be better off dead. Then he could at least collect the insurance money.

I love you. <3

*hugs*

I found myself googling hanging methods via belts about 4 weeks ago.

Wasn't even really depressed, was simply taking in the totality of existence and my place and time in it. A million years from now no one alive right now will be here so whats the difference if I just end it right now?

and I can only expect to lose everyone I know and care about if I live to a ripe old age

I honestly sometimes don't see a point to anything anymore

Which is why I try my best to indulge in nerd culture (video games, movies, comics books etc) in an attempt to take my mind off of the meaningless of existence

jdstorm

Banned
Sorry to hear that. Do you have any leads on other jobs potentially? I have done some temp work when in between long term jobs before that allowed me to find more long term jobs, pick up some new skills, and make new connections. I kind of liked that especially for crappy jobs. I could do them but didn't have to worry about staying there too long.

Thanks for continuing to reply to me. I've really appreciated the feedback. And a lot of lines up with what I discuss in therapy. It's good to hear this from multiple sources that want to help me.

My counselor mentioned boundaries, as well. Doing some more reading on what I went through when I was younger I might have some codependency issues. I definitely identified seeking others approval and not trusting my own judgement when making decisions and that sort of thing. I thing I tend to seek the approval of women the I did with my mom, and that's when I am not setting up boundaries and let people say some rather negative and discouraging things.

I think my friends genuinely want to help me, but they sometimes say some harsh or negative things that leave me feeling like crap. My counselor suggested I work on setting up boundaries with them. I think a good start is not oversharing and seeking their approval on what I am doing.

It will be hard work, but I can now see that I need to worry about making my own decisions and don't need the approval of others. Thinking back on it, my first instinct when trying something new is that I can't do it, but I always manage my way through it just fine.

Weight is a big one for me. I think the more I come out of depression, the more I realize how much I let myself go. I will work on healthy activities that and being around positive people like you said. There is a walk group that I used to go to that is full of positive people that want to see each other succeed. I work during some of their meetings, but my boss is pretty flexible about those things.

The other group is a 12 step group for adults that grew up in dysfunctional families. I'm a bit leery of 12 step groups, but I have a friend who has pushed me to go to one that was very successful with AA. My counselor also likes the idea of attending one.

Its nice replying to your posts. Mental Health GAF can be a bit much at times so it feels good to leave a positive comment encouraging others that they are doing well.

This stuff is a process and it sounds like you are doing well right now and thats really great. The walk group and the AA meetings sound like good situations for you to be in. Ultimately this process is about trying to become your best self and you seem to be doing well.

N° 2048

Thank you so much for replying to me. I don't have any other jobs lined up. I had one cleaning job but I have a hernia atm so physical labor is out of the question for a couple months. I do have a couple months rent saved up so that helps...

I'm really scared. I'm very used to my mind being broken but my body has never failed me in my 28 years on this earth and now it seems it's starting to fall apart for some reason.

If my body goes....I think that's it for me.

neojubei

Anyone believe in reincarnation? i do somewhat. Been thinking about it lately. If i could be reincarnated into someone i already have that person in my head who id like to be, but first i have to get rid of this life. thinking about making my goal the only hurdle is death after that everything will be easy.

Anyone believe in reincarnation? i do somewhat. Been thinking about it lately. If i could be reincarnated into someone i already have that person in my head who id like to be, but first i have to get rid of this life. thinking about making my goal the only hurdle is death after that everything will be easy.
It's an interesting idea, like many of the other ideas about the afterlife but the odds are that there's nothing after death breh. Which is kinda refreshing when u think about it (or it could be terrifying, depending on ur perspective)

Check this out

https://youtu.be/7Gzo7mM5SgM

mrkgoo

It's an interesting idea, like many of the other ideas about the afterlife but the odds are that there's nothing after death breh. Which is kinda refreshing when u think about it (or it could be terrifying, depending on ur perspective)

Check this out

I find the concept of nothing after death to be somewhat terrifying. One moment I'm here.... then.... I'm not. Nothing I did (save for having kids) will have meant anything.

Live your life, people. It's the only one you've got, so don't squander it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Started takin Zoloft 50mg this week. It has mostly just made me feel sleepy. Sucks that it will take a month or two before I get the real benefit. Tried Lexapro and Wellbutrin at different points as a teen to not much success. But my metabolism has slowed and I am a more patient 26 year old these days, so willing to give antidepressants another shot. Only $30 for a month's supply without insurance too which is very doable.

On the flipside I have been keeping up with my workouts all month. Went to gym 4 times last week alone. I feel good and I look good. Very satisfying.

wandering

Banned
Thank you so much for replying to me. I don't have any other jobs lined up. I had one cleaning job but I have a hernia atm so physical labor is out of the question for a couple months. I do have a couple months rent saved up so that helps...

I'm really scared. I'm very used to my mind being broken but my body has never failed me in my 28 years on this earth and now it seems it's starting to fall apart for some reason.

You’ll pull through, I promise. I’m rooting for you :)

Hamarr

Neo Member
Its nice replying to your posts. Mental Health GAF can be a bit much at times so it feels good to leave a positive comment encouraging others that they are doing well.

This stuff is a process and it sounds like you are doing well right now and thats really great. The walk group and the AA meetings sound like good situations for you to be in. Ultimately this process is about trying to become your best self and you seem to be doing well.

Thanks. I feel like I have made a lot of breakthroughs in the last few weeks, and the feedback here has been really helpful.

I am going to try SMART recovery tonight, and then maybe try ACoA tomorrow night. I'm still on the fence about 12 step programs, but this one seems to deal with a lot of stuff I have gone through.

There's a great book called 'Toxic Parents' that has been really enlightening, especially the chapter on children of alcoholics. It's helpful to see that a lot of what I went through was very common and a lot of the behavior towards me was my mom's way of coping and not a reflection on me as a person. I can also see how I learned my own addictive behaviors out of this. I think realizing this has made me feel genuinely okay and worthwhile for the first time in a long while.

Anytime. Sorry to hear about the hernia. I hope you can bounce back.

Anxiety and deppression patient here. Still havent seen a doctor. Dont even want to since I dont want to depend on medication. What causes it mostly is mantaining a business. Which causes me the anxiety since I live in PR and hurricane Maria hit us and work is hard to come by, depression, since my dad has Cyrrhosis, which you can look up on past threads and now he looks worse and feels worse. And hes my business partner.

Ugh, cant even describe how I feel. I just want everything to end and fell into a deep sleep for days. Just like a temporary coma and wake up without worrying.

Hermii

Check this out

I would like reincarnation to be true. If I fuck up this life, who cares I already lived a million happy life’s, and I will live a million more.

But I don’t believe in it.

cryptic

I almost quit my job today. There was no reason... I just...Work as a cook and I spent another whole summer seeing no daylight... working too many hours and I still am shit on by the people I work with if I make a mistake in making family meal or with cooking. I will have survived in brooklyn making less than 16,000 after taxes.
I have borderline personality disorder, and... the past few days my suicidal ideations and self-hatred have been insanely intense. I don't really have anywhere to go... but my brain is set to self-destruct. I honestly would kill myself no questions if I had the energy right now.
I've been dealing with this for all of my life... not being able to enjoy any of life... coupled with poverty. like...I can be happy for like five minutes sometimes following a stimulus, like buying food or seeing a movie...but then just empty again.
I just hate everything I see. All of life seems so averse to me.
Happy people would like to kill me since I can't be happy... that's just how it seems. I'm always at fault.
I talked to some people to make it through.
But it's going to be the same as it always is. I'm looking for an excuse so badly.
I'm stuck in this state of agony forced to watch life unfold.

Hermii

So I lost another aquantance due to me expressing myself awkwardly and she interpreting it the wrong way. Got blocked and deleted on Facebook. The result isn’t a big deal in this case, it’s more the fact that I keep making these mistakes over and over again and it’s makes me feel worthless.”why can’t I just be normal.

neojubei

I would like reincarnation to be true. If I fuck up this life, who cares I already lived a million happy life's, and I will live a million more.

But I don't believe in it.

Would be nice though. I already have my second life planned out in my head.

I wish i can have something to be happy or excited about. Like win some money or be good at something. All i can do is hope if there is reincarnation i come back as someone else who is good looking, tall, straight, married and not fat.

Anung

Un Rama
I would like reincarnation to be true. If I fuck up this life, who cares I already lived a million happy life’s, and I will live a million more.

But I don’t believe in it.

This sounds terrible and like an actual living hell so I hope reincarnation isn't real. Just let me die, rot and become nothing again.

Wish I had someone in my contacts with whom I could vent to.

No real desire for a significant other. Would simply like to have good friends who weren't judgmental and actually gave a damn about your existence.

According to science loniness is just as bad for your health as smoking cigarettes

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/health/loneliness-public-health-psychologist-1.4249637

How does one even began to combat that? I'd assume quitting cigarettes is easier

wandering

Banned
Wish I had someone in my contacts with whom I could vent to.

No real desire for a significant other. Would simply like to have good friends who weren't judgmental and actually gave a damn about your existence.

According to science loniness is just as bad for your health as smoking cigarettes

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/health/loneliness-public-health-psychologist-1.4249637

How does one even began to combat that? I'd assume quitting cigarettes is easier

If you’d like someone to talk to feel free to PM me :)

BadTaste

I think depression is fucking with my brain chemistry.. I get dumber and dumber as life goes on. It's become apparent I can't get a good job or achieve anything in life.

jdstorm

Banned
So I lost another aquantance due to me expressing myself awkwardly and she interpreting it the wrong way. Got blocked and deleted on Facebook. The result isn’t a big deal in this case, it’s more the fact that I keep making these mistakes over and over again and it’s makes me feel worthless.”why can’t I just be normal.

No one's normal. Everyone is just their own unique combinations of problems and bagage. The trick is learning to accept your flaws and embracing the person you want to be. (Its much easier said then done. But it can be done.)

What did you say to the acquaintance that got you blocked? Perhaps we can help you out.

7 years and a month of depression already, will it ever end ? Maybe not

And actually I currently have a hard time, I have to do 3 differents kind of group work with 3 differents group of people and it's currently hard to keep track with this. I don't know what I should do, how should I interact with people, I rarely had these kind of interaction and I straight up don't want to work with other people, I feel too stressed up, I feel too much pressure and there is already one person calling me out for being lazy and that's absolutely not what I wanted but at the same time I just don't want to work. I kinda felt exhausted by my last exams, and that was 2 months ago, I have a hard time recovering from it.

But the worst thing, is that the cursus I'm currently pursuing is not what I want to follow anymore. I want to change it but I realize it's too late now. I already failed numerous times, I'm too "old" to restart college because now I really need to quit studying and do something else with my life and starting to financially support my family. I feared since I was a teenager (failed a lot of class back in middle school for stupid reason I was older than 2 years than every other classmates and it felt humiliations) the day I would feel that it is too late to start something new and the day has come so it feels really bad and hate myself so much for wasting so much years of my life. I'm so mad I can't think of anything else and it's been like that for one week. I just want to ran away, get back 15 years ago fixing my mistakes, prevent my dad from dying, living the live I deserve to live and not what I actually endure every fucking day with even less motivation than the day before...

My therapist advices me to restart college but I just don't want to. I'm tired of it, I'm tired of being a failure, wasting these precious years, I just want to have my mind at ease.

I need help but I felt letdown so much any little advices would help, in this situation I'll take anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom