• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why is supposed progressive Glenn Greenwald on Fox News?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/920451427260096512

.@ggreenwald on media: I think what it is, more than dishonesty, is really warped incentive scheme bolstered by this very severe groupthink

The clip in the above tweet is a fucking embarrassment.

Considering he has done nothing but slag democrats who fight to defend progressive ideals that this administration threatens, constantly defend Russia, and shit on the media as of late, he does not deserve to be considered a progressive.

He isn't the only supposed leftist that goes on Fox News. TYT's Nomiki Konst has appeared to bash democrats.

Clipjoint

Nothing he said on there is wrong, though. Who cares what the outlet is, if he's giving a correct diagnosis of the issue?

antonz

Greenwald is a massive Russian apologist. So he was more than happy to go on Fox to claim its all leftist groupthink and not Russia who is trying to mess with America. It is really no different than when they bring on RT's favorite Americans to shit on the left.

DiscoJer

He's a progressive, he's just not a Democrat.

Which is also why he's on Fox News, since it's Republican more than conservative.

Lol, in what world? They regularly spout heavily conservative economics and nonsensical conservative social stances.
g3ibk8rrxebvv78vmxb9.jpg

Here is a fun little segment Tucker did a few weeks ago

Clipjoint

Noam Chomsky has said the exact same things Greenwald is saying. Is he not a progressive either?

This thread is a perfect example of the groupthink that fuels the hysteria. No one bothers to process the message, it's just Russia = BIG EVIL EMPIRE NO QUESTIONING ALLOWED.

devilhawk

His statement is dead fucking on.

I'm assuming he is including Fox News in the group he is criticizing. Of course, Fox News viewers will think otherwise.

Noam Chomsky has said the exact same things Greenwald is saying. Is he not a progressive either?

Maybe he isn't anymore.

The thing about being a "progressive" is you need to actually update your views as time goes by or else you become "the status quo." Somebody who was considered socially progressive thirty years ago doesn't get to automatically retain that title for life. You have to work for it.

Sinfamy

Unless you were vehemently in support of the Clinton campaign and establishment Democrats and their losing strategies, you're not a progressive in jack_package_200's eyes.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Glenn gets his ideas out to more people on Fox than he would the others. They also actually want him on there, which helps.

I'm always very happy when I see actual leftists on Fox News when I'm at the gym.

Clipjoint

Maybe he isn't anymore.

The thing about being a "progressive" is you need to actually update your views as time goes by or else you become "the status quo." Somebody who was considered socially progressive thirty years ago doesn't get to automatically retain that title for life. You have to work for it.

Funniest post I've read in years. Now Chomsky is no longer a progressive because he's not blindly buying into the Russia hysteria.

Funniest post I've read in years. Now Chomsky is no longer a progressive because he's not blindly buying into the Russia hysteria.

I didn't say that. I don't personally have a problem with Chomsky or something. All I said was that we should consider the standards we hold people to, and that "This guy was progressive thirty years ago" isn't a strong line of argument.

When it comes to people like Chomsky and Bernie Sanders, I don't personally dislike them or anything, but I feel strongly that the term "progressive" should refer to more than just economics but also the axes of identity that are used to oppress people by race, gender, sexuality, etc. This was the big complaint so many people had about Bernie during the race.

JABEE

I agree with Greenwald's statement in the video. It seems like a legitimate critique of the press and the way social media punditry bleeds into serious reporting.

Clipjoint

I didn't say that. I don't personally have a problem with Chomsky or something. All I said was that we should consider the standards we hold people to, and that "This guy was progressive thirty years ago" isn't a strong line of argument.

When it comes to people like Chomsky and Bernie Sanders, I don't personally dislike them or anything, but I feel strongly that the term "progressive" should refer to more than just economics but also the axes of identity that are used to oppress people by race, gender, sexuality, etc. This was the big complaint so many people had about Bernie during the race.

Let me guess...you thought Hillary was the true progressive in the election?

I don't understand what the leftists even see in Russia anymore. They're not communists any longer and their treatment of homosexuals and ethnic minorities is atrocious. Then there's that whole brazen killing of journalists and other opposition figures that no one ever seems to give a fuck about.

Maybe you guys need to update your views since you don't have anything in common other than thinking the US is a big bad imperial monster.

Greenwald has defended Assange’s association with RT, arguing that working for the Russian network is no different from writing for major U.S. outlets such as The Washington Post, NBC, and The Wall Street Journal, all of them supposedly corrupted by their right-wing corporate ownership.)

okjan.gif

In 2010, Greenwald began attacking the Obama administration from the left on a variety of domestic issues, attacking Wall Street corruption, opposing cuts to Social Security and Medicare, and decrying inequality. Yet even as he insisted on his left liberalism, he remained a steadfast promoter of Ron Paul—“far and away the most anti-war, anti-Surveillance-State, anti-crony-capitalism, and anti-drug-war presidential candidate in either party. ”(After Paul’s son, then senatorial candidate Rand Paul, questioned the Civil Rights Act, Greenwald agreed with criticism that the remark was “wacky,” but insisted that the real “crazies” in American politics were mainstream Democrats and Republicans.) In a debate with The Nation columnist Katha Pollitt, Greenwald justified how progressives could back Ron Paul over Obama. How his vaunted allies would govern over issues that he professes to hold dear—Social Security, Medicare, economic inequality, gay rights—is a subject he has not addressed.

Splendid

I don't think there was any true progressive in the election, but if there was, Bernie probably came closest. I think he did have a genuine desire to understand the issues I was discussing in my post, but he didn't do it enough (and still isn't).

Real Hero

what's the point of saying this stuff to people who already know/agree with you? Don't you think the people who watch fox news should be hearing this from someone?

Clipjoint

I don't understand what the leftists even see in Russia anymore. They're not communists any longer and their treatment of homosexuals and ethnic minorities is atrocious. Then there's that whole brazen killing of journalists and other opposition figures that no one ever seems to give a fuck about.

They're not defending Russia. They're criticizing the media treatment of every Russia story as a bombshell act of war, when there is rarely ever any proof of the claims and each of the stories end up either being debunked or radically overstated.

Perhaps not during the primary but after the election she didn't refer to "identity politics" as a distraction and turn around and very publicly support candidates that were against women's reproductive rights.

I don't think it's that they see Russia as this beacon of goodness. I think they feel that the Russian intervention in the last election is overblown. I don't agree with this but I think that's what they feel. I could obviously be mistaken.

Clipjoint

Here's Greenwald documenting the many cases where the media has overblown stories about Russian interference in the election, and underplaying the stories when they are debunked:

https://theintercept.com/2017/09/28...ry-falls-apart-is-skepticism-permissible-yet/

No questioning of official claims is allowed. The evidentiary threshold which an assertion must overcome before being accepted is so low as to be non-existent. And the penalty for desiring to see evidence for official claims, or questioning the validity and persuasiveness of the evidence that is proffered, are accusations that impugn one’s patriotism and loyalty (simply wanting to see evidence for official claims about Russia is proof, in many quarters, that one is a Kremlin agent or at least adores Putin – just as wanting to see evidence in 2002, or questioning the evidence presented for claims about Saddam, was viewed as proof that one harbored sympathy for the Iraqi dictator).

Regardless of your views on Russia, Trump and the rest, nobody can possibly regard this climate as healthy. Just look at how many major, incredibly inflammatory stories, from major media outlets, have collapsed. Is it not clear that there is something very wrong with how we are discussing and reporting on relations between these two nuclear-armed powers?

Yeah sure, mr. "Identity Politics is making us lose and is bad also and also totally a real thing" has the coner covered for progressive ideals.

As I clearly said here:

I feel strongly that the term "progressive" should refer to more than just economics but also the axes of identity that are used to oppress people by race, gender, sexuality, etc. This was the big complaint so many people had about Bernie during the race.

The dirty secret is that neither Clinton nor Bernie are "progressive," but this is too nuanced a view for most people to comprehend, apparently.

Often Leftists such as Greenwald can't get airtime of MSM channels such as NBC or CNN, meaning they have to choose between dodgy outlets like RT and awful ones like Fox in order to deliver their views or simply do nothing at all.

But, come on, Greenwald is absolutely progressive, saying otherwise is ridiculous. He's consistently been pro-LGBT anti-imperialistic ant-War on Drugs for 20 years. He supported Bernie (BTW, saying Bernie supporters aren't progressive because some voted for Trump is logically incoherent because a) the vast majority didn't and b) more Hillary '08 voters went for McCain than Bernie people went for Trump, is Hillary not a progressive choice then?) and actually goes out and risks a lot by doing really important stuff, such as the Snowden expose and his work in Brazil.

JettDash

Often Leftists such as Greenwald can't get airtime of MSM channels such as NBC or CNN, meaning they have to choose between dodgy outlets like RT and awful ones like Fox in order to deliver their views or simply do nothing at all.

But, come on, Greenwald is absolutely progressive, saying otherwise is ridiculous. He's consistently been pro-LGBT anti-imperialistic ant-War on Drugs for 20 years. He supported Bernie (BTW, saying Bernie supporters aren't progressive because some voted for Trump is logically incoherent because a) the vast majority didn't and b) more Hillary '08 voters went for McCain than Bernie people went for Trump, is Hillary not a progressive choice then?) and actually goes out and risks a lot by doing really important stuff, such as the Snowden expose and his work in Brazil.

He was a Ron Paul supporter.

The dirty secret is that neither Clinton nor Bernie are "progressive," but this is too nuanced a view for most people to comprehend, apparently.

You are redefining a commonly understood word to win an argument on the internet. Congratulations.

Edit: I misread. We actually agree. Fuck. My bad. (Well, I don't think "economics" should be included at all. I see progressive as purely the social issues, but also the economic stuff when that stuff negatively impacts minorities. And I think Bernie's throwing under the bus of social progressive issues put his status as a progressive individual firmly into the negative realm.)

Either way. I think we're moving way away from the point of this thread, so let's not get off topic. I'll drop my objections here. I think our disagreement lies with whether or not that individual should be considered "progressive" at all. (And that's not even getting into the can of worms of asserting that HIllary wasn't progressive, but AGAIN, not what this thread is about, so let's not.)

*drinks*

JABEE

The moment you start taking any legitimate criticism of your ideology as a repudiation of all the beliefs of said ideology, you are a supporter of dogma and zealotry.

Nothing Greenwald said in that video is unfair or anti-progressive. You can criticize him for going on that show, but the words he said are not anti-progressive politics.

Groupthink is damaging political discourse and FoxNews/Conservative radio are innovators in American political propaganda.

The moment you start taking any legitimate criticism of your ideology as a repudiation of all the beliefs of said ideology, you are a supporter of dogma and zealotry.

Nothing Greenwald said in that video is unfair or anti-progressive. You can criticize him for going on that show, but the words he said are not anti-progressive politics.

Groupthink is damaging political discourse and FoxNews/Conservative radio are innovators in American political propaganda.

This is the same clown that said this about the Panama papers?

Journalist Glenn Greenwald, known best for his reporting on the classified documents leaked by Edward Snowden, had his own theory about why few Americans were named in the Panama Papers. Greenwald said it’s a “really huge curiosity” that raises questions about who it was that leaked the information, and what, exactly their motives were in the act.

“Was their motive to make a lot of enemies of the United States look bad, like Russia and China and various Arab countries who are averse to the U.S.?”

antonz

When you go on Foxnews regardless if he has a point or not you are not presenting the point in a fair environment. He was used as nothing more than propaganda on how the left is a bunch of liars distorting things to hurt Trump.

Why are we judging the messenger instead of the validity of his argument?

They're both garbage. His entire spiel is that every single American man, woman, and child is not being given access to every shred of classified evidence the IC has so therefore it's all just overhyped bullshit. Also, remember Saddam and those WMDs? Checkmate. Which is it's own revisionist history garbage since the IC was far more mixed than the Bush admin narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom