• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Stories |OT| Pi-Khezu, I Choose You!

redcrayon

Some of the postgame fights are getting tough now. Fought through the
labyrinth of ordeals, and dealt with Kuasha Daela easily enough. Went back in expecting to face it again, but after an hour of play I thought 'why risk it' and put a Moxie gem (stop one heart being lost) in my pouch as soon as I saw Teostra at the end instead. A combination of blastblight and explosive breath/dust was tearing my team to shreds, and there just weren't enough head-to-heads to really build kinship. In the end I only ground him down after an ancient potion, restoring a further heart with the vitality item, and then the Moxie gem saving my dignity when he went supernova.

Annoyingly, I can't seem to find a Sand Barrioth+ to upgrade my Regios Armour (any help gratefully accepted!), but on the other hand my Deviljho greatsword is pretty tasty these days...

ilium

It was time to finally let go of my Rathian. It has served me well, but my B.Diablos needed that poison tail swipe. It was kind of overleveled anyway.

Finished the vulcano area, and
my lust for revenge will only be satisfied if the Doctor's (whos name I always misread as Mengele, it's awfully close lol) intestines are ripped out by my Rathalos and spread across the floor :<

It was time to finally let go of my Rathian. It has served me well, but my B.Diablos needed that poison tail swipe. It was kind of overleveled anyway.

Finished the vulcano area, and
my lust for revenge will only be satisfied if the Doctor's (whos name I always misread as Mengele, it's awfully close lol) intestines are ripped out by my Rathalos and spread across the floor :<

What's the average level of your team? I'm just a step behind you and I'm wondering if I'm under level or fine.

Dragoshi1

Any leveling tips?

I'm right before the final boss, and have a Stygian Zinogre and Brachy I want to get up to speed.

(Also, I'm officially passed the part I was stuck on in the JP version, so I'm excited!)

Unicorn

Any leveling tips?

I'm right before the final boss, and have a Stygian Zinogre and Brachy I want to get up to speed.

(Also, I'm officially passed the part I was stuck on in the JP version, so I'm excited!)

So, I bought that 10k buff for xp and it says it lasts 99mins, but I've had it going for literal DAYS. It doesn't tick down when you're in menus or anywhere else. It seems like battles don't even effect it. I'm not complaining, but I really do wish I spent my first 10k on this as I'm at almost 40k now and my dudes are all about level 30.

redcrayon

Any leveling tips?

I found using an experience charm at the shrine and then using Peco to keep summoning in the final area seems to work well.

leroidys

Oh my god, this game is so much fun. Reading the import impressions and reviews, I didn't think I would like it nearly this much. I'm only about 15 hours in, but so far it's nailed

*Still feels very much like a monster hunter game, and retains the same overall progression

*Tons of customization! The armors and weapons all look incredible. Having visual differences with different equipment sets is one of my favorite things in RPGs, so I'm really glad they didn't cheap out with that here.

*Great production! The soundtrack is fantastic, and the animations are top notch. I'm trying not to compare this game to pokemon, but the monsties animate about 1000x better in battle.

*The subtle metroidvania-esque exploration of the environment.

*The huge amount of monsters and potential builds

*Very well balanced battle system in terms of easy to understand vs. potential depth. So far it's hindered by difficulty, so I'm hoping the post-game will provide enough challenge for the battle system to really flourish.

Overall, this is one of the best original RPGs I've played in quite a while. Really hope this game isn't the end of the stories sub-series.

Doombear

Oh my god, this game is so much fun. Reading the import impressions and reviews, I didn't think I would like it nearly this much. I'm only about 15 hours in, but so far it's nailed

*Still feels very much like a monster hunter game, and retains the same overall progression

*Tons of customization! The armors and weapons all look incredible. Having visual differences with different equipment sets is one of my favorite things in RPGs, so I'm really glad they didn't cheap out with that here.

*Great production! The soundtrack is fantastic, and the animations are top notch. I'm trying not to compare this game to pokemon, but the monsties animate about 1000x better in battle.

*The subtle metroidvania-esque exploration of the environment.

*The huge amount of monsters and potential builds

*Very well balanced battle system in terms of easy to understand vs. potential depth. So far it's hindered by difficulty, so I'm hoping the post-game will provide enough challenge for the battle system to really flourish.

Overall, this is one of the best original RPGs I've played in quite a while. Really hope this game isn't the end of the stories sub-series.

I feel like you're me. Are you me?

Huge MH fan, played countless hours of every title since Freedom. Bought the MHP3rd HD PS3 game even! I really wanted to be into this, and followed the import topic closely but couldn't ever commit though I was close a few times (I have a JP 3ds for MHXX of course... because I had to).

Finally just jumped in a week or so ago, and agree with everything you just said!

Barioth and Rathian Amiibos just showed up today. Excited to hatch em!

I really don't think this is the last one we see released. It'd be a huge shame. Moved to the Switch, maybe, but either way I hope we haven't seen the end of the series.

Lanrutcon

Version 1.3 announced for the Japanese version, with more stuff!

Hoping it eventually rolls around to the international version :(

Velkyn

Huge MH fan, played countless hours of every title since Freedom. Bought the MHP3rd HD PS3 game even! I really wanted to be into this, and followed the import topic closely but couldn't ever commit though I was close a few times (I have a JP 3ds for MHXX of course... because I had to).

Finally just jumped in a week or so ago, and agree with everything you just said!

I really don't think this is the last one we see released. It'd be a huge shame. Moved to the Switch, maybe, but either way I hope we haven't seen the end of the series.

I still haven't purchased because I can't really tell if it would hold my interest or not. I love my light-hearted RPGs (I adore the Yo-Kai Watch games and Pokemon, naturally), but the question about the game's depth gives me pause and stops me from pulling the trigger just yet. I'm obviously not looking for Etrian Odyssey level challenge here, but if there's at least some difficulty, I'm happy.

Doombear

I still haven't purchased because I can't really tell if it would hold my interest or not. I love my light-hearted RPGs (I adore the Yo-Kai Watch games and Pokemon, naturally), but the question about the game's depth gives me pause and stops me from pulling the trigger just yet. I'm obviously not looking for Etrian Odyssey level challenge here, but if there's at least some difficulty, I'm happy.

I'm only barely scratching the surface I feel, but one thing I do remember hearing during the Japanese release was that things do open up in the battle system (beyond just straight rock / paper / scissors) and it can get quite difficult near the later part of the game. I remember Gaijin Hunter specifically saying that too.

Unicorn

I'm only barely scratching the surface I feel, but one thing I do remember hearing during the Japanese release was that things do open up in the battle system (beyond just straight rock / paper / scissors) and it can get quite difficult near the later part of the game. I remember Gaijin Hunter specifically saying that too.
Yup. Game has opened up to be a lot more about elemental attack and resistances while balancing a bank of kinship meter to pay for special attacks in battle. Also item usage becomes way more of a thing. Unlike pokemon item usage is fair game and can only help prep you for pvp where matches are won and lost by item usage appropriately.

BooJoh

The new DLC is up. There's some titles and a background for your rider card, a subquest that gets you a Navirou costume, and a Gold level Tournament that awards a special armor set (though I thought this tournament gave the Glavenus GS in the Japanese version so I'm a bit confused as to what it gives. I need some more levels before I can clear it I think.)

JC Sera

The new DLC is up. There's some titles and a background for your rider card, a subquest that gets you a Navirou costume, and a Gold level Tournament that awards a special armor set (though I thought this tournament gave the Glavenus GS in the Japanese version so I'm a bit confused as to what it gives. I need some more levels before I can clear it I think.)
thankyou!
when will they give us sticker dlc ;-;

Lanrutcon

Gold level tournament! Will hit it tonight.

redcrayon

Where can I find High Rank Iodrome? Haven't seen them in HR dens, the tower or the labyrinth yet..
I ran into them in high rank dens in the volcano, it's a matter of luck though. I'm still searching for a high rank sand barioth without climbing to floor 30+ in the tower...

Unicorn

Started this game yesterday. God, what a long ass intro mission. But it's fun! And charming. I'm really enjoying it.
You must have not played any monster hunter games because I literally have no idea what you're talking about. Haha MH are such a slog at the start this game was like a breeze. Or, sun and moon were so bad that this was fresh. 30 hours into sun and moon I realized the whole game was just tutorial mission :(

Doombear

I can kinda understand that criticism of the begining though. Mainly because of dialogue.

The NPCs spe a k s o o o o s l o o wwwwwwwly.

Wish you could auto display the full dialogue in all areas of the game including the 'cutscenes' too.

Robin64

It gives the weapon. Seems they done goofed with the tournament description.

Unicorn

Yo, fuck, holy shit, Wtfffffffffffff

Changing elements also effects the kinship attack. My shrouded Nerscylla is now ice and the instead of doing a poison rain, a giant icicle protrudes out like a stinger and she spiked a fool.

This changes things. It also appeared to do more damage versus the OG being something to just cause poison.

I have a question about egg picking. If you continue searching for eggs until they run out, will that guarantee you get the best egg available? I'm always uneasy about continuing to search for a better egg in fears that I will inevitably end up with something worse than what I had.

Dragoshi1

I have a question about egg picking. If you continue searching for eggs until they run out, will that guarantee you get the best egg available? I'm always uneasy about continuing to search for a better egg in fears that I will inevitably end up with something worse than what I had.

No, the best egg from a pile can be anywhere in the pile. If you get something good, it's better to walk away then to press your luck(I've done it a few times, feels bad to let go of a good egg to wind up with a dang Aptonoth again).

Read Navirou's comments. The smellier and heavier the egg, the better.

You won't get his best comments until near the end of the game and post story. At the beginning, look for "Smells a little eggy, don'tcha thinky?" and "It's a little heavy"(I think that's how it goes for both).

redcrayon

Smell and weight are tied to gene slots and the genes within them. In early game, monsters have fewer of both, so as soon as you get one that's 'a bit smelly' etc, take that. It could be the first one, so many times I've left it until the last one and walked away with a herbivore egg with a poor slot layout and no genes at all.

ilium

Trying to make the Eternal Strife SnS, but I don't have the forge quest. Wonder what I missed, does anyone know?

leroidys

Glad I'm not alone! I'd love a switch version as well. For now I'm keeping my expectations low and just hoping we get all the extra content releasing in Japan.

Lanrutcon

I just got a Azure Rathalos and don't know what to nickname a blue Dragon. Is a Azure Rathalos stronger than a regular one?

The Rathalos lines are more or less the same stat wise. Their gear is not, and their movesets are different.

Got my Silver Rathalos yesterday, and it has really good unique move. Also got my first monstie to 99!

The Rathalos lines are more or less the same stat wise. Their gear is not, and their movesets are different.

Got my Silver Rathalos yesterday, and it has really good unique move. Also got my first monstie to 99!

Congrats on getting your first monstie to 99!

Just to be clear, my Pink Rathian isn't actually stronger than my regular one and I just wasted my time tracking it down for no reason? Same with Diablos vs Black Diablos?

That's a wastes of my time then. Though, I would love a Silver Rathalos for my team.

Still don't know what to name this blue dragon though. I need ideas.

In the mainline Monster Hunter games which Dragon is the strongest? I'm curious.

BooJoh

Just to be clear, my Pink Rathian isn't actually stronger than my regular one and I just wasted my time tracking it down for no reason? Same with Diablos vs Black Diablos?

That's a wastes of my time then. Though, I would love a Silver Rathalos for my team.

In the mainline Monster Hunter games which Dragon is the strongest? I'm curious.

The species variants have different base resistances and stats typically, so Azure will have slightly higher Attack, but at the cost of some HP and DEF. It also has an ice weakness instead of a thunder weakness. Genes seem to make a huge difference in this game though.

Check out this page for some base stats and level 99 stats: https://mhst.kiranico.com/monstie

mrjohill

I've been trying to get that green nargacuga in the rainforest to go back to his lair but it hasn't been working. It it even possible?

ilium

Subspecies have the better skillset imo. A.rathalos learns sun dance at 50 for example and P.rath gets aoe poison tail.

Seems I got lucky, found a Guts charm pretty early, so no need for the Jho Set.
Been using the kecha Wacha one for the longest time and now switched to the Green Narga one. Not Sure how much +atk salt in the wound adds, has anyone seen some Numbers? I assumed something like Atk Up M?

Lanrutcon

Here are the stat breakdowns from my monsterpedia:

Diablos: 5/4/5/3
Black Dialbos: 4/5/4/3

Rathalos: 5/4/3/3
Azure Rathalos: 4/5/3/3
Silver Rathalos: 5/5/4/3

Rathian: 5/2/4/3
Pink Rathian: 4/4/3/3
Gold Rathian: 5/5/4/3

Plus, subspecies have better moves and (potentially) better genes. They are absolutely worth investing in. My Pink Rathian carried me through the story until I got my Abyssal Zinogre.

JC Sera

Plus, subspecies have better moves and (potentially) better genes. They are absolutely worth investing in. My Pink Rathian carried me through the story until I got my Abyssal Zinogre.
counter point, subspecies with better stats often have worse elemental weaknesses
make sure you put some thunder res on your subspecies Raths

The species variants have different base resistances and stats typically, so Azure will have slightly higher Attack, but at the cost of some HP and DEF. It also has an ice weakness instead of a thunder weakness. Genes seem to make a huge difference in this game though.

Check out this page for some base stats and level 99 stats: https://mhst.kiranico.com/monstie

Subspecies have the better skillset imo. A.rathalos learns sun dance at 50 for example and P.rath gets aoe poison tail.

Seems I got lucky, found a Guts charm pretty early, so no need for the Jho Set.
Been using the kecha Wacha one for the longest time and now switched to the Green Narga one. Not Sure how much +atk salt in the wound adds, has anyone seen some Numbers? I assumed something like Atk Up M?

counter point, subspecies with better stats often have worse elemental weaknesses
make sure you put some thunder res on your subspecies Raths

Thanks for the info. I didn't know Monster pedia had stat break downs in them despite using it once or twice at the beginning of my play through.

Best way/place to find a Black Diablos? I need mats to upgrade Cera Cigil...

Tres Desert. I used a finding charm at the prayer pot to find gold nest and I walked away with like 6 Black Diablos.

nluckett

Holy crap. Loving this game and was already feeling a very Zelda vibe from it... now the DLC. This game rocks, get it people.

twelver

I just reached postgame and im not sure what i should be focusing on. The game throws even more at you. Should i be doing sidequests? Tower? Maze? High rank dens? Im lvl 50 and tried the maze and got worked.

redcrayon

I just reached postgame and im not sure what i should be focusing on. The game throws even more at you. Should i be doing sidequests? Tower? Maze? High rank dens? Im lvl 50 and tried the maze and got worked.
I would focus on getting an armour set and weapon set up to high rank first- look at your gear, see which monsters you need to upgrade it ( a '+' on the end of their names, or the name in red, indicates high rank) and then take on a few sidequests to match. Once you've done that, you'll be strong enough to tackle the labyrinth. Leave the tower for last, the last few floors of that are tough!

I found Dan's chain of monster hunts a fun way to lead into high rank, and low rank armour was enough for that. They are back in Pondry Hills so it's a nice way to get back in the saddle.

Don't worry too much about high rank dens unless you're after something specific - the labyrinth will supply plenty of high rank heavy/smelly eggs. Even then, I went into thirty desert high rank dens looking for Sand Barrioth and still didn't find one.

Top Bottom