• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub still has the best environments and vegetation in any racing game

1RZrHkt.jpg

Just my random contribution.

No bs shot like in DriveClub. Don't get me wrong I love Driveclub, very much so but you won't get it looking good outside of stormy weather. However ... at night with thunder it does look absolutely ridiculous. Driveclub Bikes in this condition is defo the most exhilarating experience out there

Wow that's gorgeous. Gotta get my hands on FH3

Severianb

... all untouchable behind the rail at 30fps.

Honestly, if you are going to be a 30fps racer, you need to be open world.

Horizon 3 looks better and is open world.

Driveclub is a dead game from a dead studio. Like the Jedi, it's power is gone from this world. Let it go.

Jimrpg

Driveclub doesn’t look as good as it once did when it first came out. It’s a little low res and the graphics are muddier than it first seemed. Still a good looking game but mostly due to the insane lighting that makes it look ‘real’ at certain times of the day.

Anything on the PC released recently is easily better if you have the PC to handle it. Project Cars, Dirt Rally are way better looking with better image quality and performance.

I’d expect Forza Horizon 3 to be better too but I haven’t played it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I generally agree, the detail is insane even in places they didnt have to model

Driveclub is a dead game from a dead studio. Like the Jedi, it's power is gone from this world. Let it go.

The post history speaks for itself really.

vio

No other racing game goes next gen on environments the way Driveclub does. Quality of the foliage is better than in any other racing game.

It may look rough in places somewhat these days, but this came out quite early in PS4 life. Just imagin if there was a Driveclub 2.

Just imagin if there was a Driveclub 2.
I do. All the time. And damn ...

I've also come to accept that any game with dynamic day/night cycles and weather is going to have high points and low points, visuals and IQ wise, depending upon conditions. Just the nature of the beast.

Melchiah

It was kind of hit or miss graphically. I don't want to say muddy because that seems like the cliche but....muddy. Still shots look great, weather in-game looked great, IQ aside a lot of the conditions looked great. The artists did an amazing job and the different parts (IQ aside) come together for what is probably the best looking racing game released so far. Forza 7 can't match it in every category but after running the 4k HDR clips through my tv's media player I think F7 may have the better all around package. But someone posted some shots of the trackside details of F7 in another thread and they were nowhere near DriveClub. DriveClub has environments outside of the race track that are so good I can imagine them being levels in a non-racing game.

Agreed. These replay JPG screenshots, that show the environments outside the tracks, were taken before PNG became available. The attention to detail is impressive.

There are far more better shots on the DC and console screenshot threads, particularly those posted by Dumb:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=219471623&postcount=2089
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=219472643&postcount=2091

As for gameplay, I find it the most thrilling and enjoyable racer to play, outside of the more unrealistic ones like WipEout and Rollcage. The sense of speed is just amazing, and I never had issues with how the cars control.

VanWinkle

Probably because sunny midday is the clearest of conditions, lacking the elements that hide the IQ and texture weaknesses?

Game looks better the less you can make out.

Well yeah, but the game is in those conditions the minority of time. Usually it's dawn, dusk, or night, in either clear, cloudy, rain, or snow.

What does a "dead game" even mean? Like, games that don't get patches anymore?

Same ol G

Those are beautiful screens, but from what I played, nothing like how I remember it looking in gameplay, which seems closer to this:

dcbeta-8-1024x576.jpg

I always found it to look a bit drab and muddy, and the image quality was poor. A PC version or PS5 version could do a lot for it.

That's because those pictures are taken in photomode.
Everything is rendered there and no representation of the actual gameplay.
I can't understand why people keep doing this the game looks nothing like that in motion.

GenericUser

Photomode is totally not representative for the graphic fidelity of Driveclub. Also I think the game itself is simply mediocre at best.

Maybe I'm too much of a sim racer nowadays to appreciate a straight arcade racer. Who knows.

I regretted the 10 bucks I spent on the game. Overrated game that only gets the amount of attention it gets, because it is a PlaStation exclusive.

I've had a lot of fun playing DC but I don't see the point ( and that goes for any game ) to post shots of Photomode of any game because games never look like that in motion. Therefore, I'd rather see separate threads ( photomode thread and screenshots thread ).

Anyway, to me DC really shined after the weather patch.The difference with sunny conditions was quite big.

GenericUser

Yeah, some of us wouldn't have played it all this time if it wasn't exclusive.
I never said something that even implied that.

Evolution should have made a new motorstorm. That game was way better.

Just a no bullshit dirt arcade racer. Maybe mix in some road rash cqc combat and you're done.

Unfortunately Driveclub broke their neck.

VanWinkle

Photomode is totally not representative for the graphic fidelity of Driveclub. Also I think the game itself is simply mediocre at best.

Maybe I'm too much of a sim racer nowadays to appreciate a straight arcade racer. Who knows.

I regretted the 10 bucks I spent on the game. Overrated game that only gets the amount of attention it gets, because it is a PlaStation exclusive.

Extremely reductive argument, and pointless as well, since you can't know the reasons people love the game.

Melchiah

I never said something that even implied that.

Evolution should have made a new motorstorm. That game was way better.

Just a no bullshit dirt arcade racer. Maybe mix in some road rash cqc combat and you're done.

Unfortunately Driveclub broke their neck.

Personally, I didn't enjoy MotorStorm series nowhere near as much as DC, although I only played the demo of the 2nd one, which is often deemed as the best of them. I also disliked the rubber banding in the 1st, and preferred how the cars controlled in DC. DC is the only racer I've ever bothered to platinum.

It's unfortunate, that the online issues at launch tainted DC's image. The game had absolutely fantastic post-launch support and free additions, including several tracks and a new location, Japan.

Gurish

I think that technically it's still the best looking, especially with the weather update, but it desperately needs a Pro patch to overcome the shortcomings in IQ, this is the main problem the game has visually, if they could fix that on the Pro than I don't think any racer will touch it till next gen.

The fact that this game is consistently shown in photomode and everytime somebody posts pics of how it really looks ingame they are shot down by furious and delusional fanboys just says it all really.

They should have focused on making a 60 fps racing game instead of one that is pretty in stills.

Motorstorm had the same problem come to think of it. The framerate was horrendous in Motorstorm and trying to drive anything was like trying to drive through mud due to the bad framerate and input lag. The Killzone of Playstation racing, I guess.

VanWinkle

The fact that this game is consistently shown in photomode and everytime somebody posts pics of how it really looks ingame they are shot down by furious and delusional fanboys just says it all really.

Nope. Racing games screenshots are almost ALWAYS taken in photo mode (I have known this for a long time, because I've long been annoyed by it), and THIS:

dcbeta-8-1024x576.jpg

is not how it really looks ingame.

And I'm CERTAINLY not a fanboy. While I do think the game is overall incredibly impressive, I won't begin to deny it has shortcomings.

GHG

Gold Member

It's more the issue that it tends to be one extreme to the other, whereby people who want to try and show it doesn't look like the photomode screenshots will post highly compressed low resolution gameplay screenshots in a futile attempt to prove a point. In those cases, neither is an accurate representation of gameplay.

Yeah it looks nicer in photomode image quality wise but the trees and foliage is still the same.

Nope. Racing games screenshots are almost ALWAYS taken in photo mode (I have known this for a long time, because I've long been annoyed by it), and THIS:

dcbeta-8-1024x576.jpg

And I'm CERTAINLY not a fanboy. While I do think the game is overall incredibly impressive, I won't begin to deny it has shortcomings.
It looks like that on my screen, sure there are huge open downhill views that are impressive, but it's never looked like the bullshot photomode pics. People not knowing better will be hugely disappointed if they buy the game and think it looks like the bullshots when most of the time it looks like the screenshot you have quoted.

GenericUser

Driveclub isn't a particular good looking game when you actually play it imo. Lot of aliasing and overuse of motion blur to "hide" the 30 fps.

Games like Arsetto Corso and project cars have a cleaner look (while certainly not rendering every bush in distance of a mile) and are imo more pleasent to look at.

And no, that doesn't mean project car/AC graphics are better then Driveclubs. Just to make that clear, before the fanboys bite me.

Melchiah

dcbeta-8-1024x576.jpg

Yep. I have several screenshots of the game, that were taken before photo mode and weather were added, and it looks more flat in them than it did while actually playing the game.

It's more the issue that it tends to be one extreme to the other, whereby people who want to try and show it doesn't look like the photomode screenshots will post highly compressed low resolution gameplay screenshots in a futile attempt to prove a point. In those cases, neither is an accurate representation of gameplay.

Agreed. The OP spoke about the attention to detail and the realism of the vegetation, which are present in the game outside of the photo mode's additional layer of shine.

VanWinkle

It looks like that on my screen, sure there are huge open downhill views that are impressive, but it's never looked like the bullshot photomode pics. People not knowing better will be hugely disappointed if they buy the game and think it looks like the bullshots when most of the time it looks like the screenshot you have quoted.

Bro, this is a compressed jpeg at 576p on the worst looking track during the worst looking time of day with an incredibly ugly car with a bizarrely smashed rear windshield.

Kyoufu

If this is the case then this gen sucks ass.

The game isn't that great.. its all graphics and doesn't do anything else that great. Specially the ai.. fuck that ai.

This gen does suck ass for racing games. Where the fuck is Ridge Racer?

VanWinkle

I mean...this gen IS kind of terrible for racing games, at least for me. I mean, I think Driveclub and FH2/3 are very good, but this gen for me just signaled the death of the pure arcade racers. And that makes me super sad.

Head.spawn

These guys would've done some absolutely batshit stuff on PS4 Pro with DC2 if Sony didn't put an axe to them. You can tell their aim was way more than what that first console could've ever provided.

Looking forward to see what they craft on PC now I guess.

Melchiah

The game isn't that great.. its all graphics and doesn't do anything else that great. Specially the ai.. fuck that ai.

I like the aggressiveness of the AI, but luckily they adjusted the penalties after the launch, when you could be punished with speed reduction due to the AI colliding into you.

no discussion here

i can't people in this topic. environments look the same in photo mode. saying dirt and pc looking better. lol. just hilarious. even pc2 still doesn't have decent PBR and neither does it have environmental details anywhere near dc.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
it looks great for sure but it's a racing game and driving in it is horrible. one of the few games i've regret buying.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

It is the best representation of a drive through the Alps with occasional snow and rain fall and the Sun glistening on the road melting the snow or drying the rain up that I have ever played. The game was fun, challenging, and instead of focusing on playing mechanics it focused on driving and doing it in believable dynamic environments.

For me it is still the best car game of the generation (although with a Pro patch to fix some aliasing issues it could be even better).

GHG

Gold Member

So you have a 720p TV that has problems? I'd reccomend buying youself a new one for Christmas if you can. Treat youself.

Jimrpg

dcbeta-8-1024x576.jpg

India is nowhere near as good as some of the other levels. India was one of the levels in the demo, and everyone was wondering why that was demoed instead of Norway, Canada, when they were way better looking levels. (Mostly because India was finished in development ahead of the other levels).

They should give it downsampling. The game is too jaggy.
It should look like the photomode while playing.

Would play it more if it got proper Pro support.

Neith

Banned
Love em both, but even when I put a ton of hours into Horizon - and believe me I have - I find myself wanting to go back to DC. The handling is unique for sure, but I just find that it grabs me more and holds on to me for longer.

More on topic, the detail in DC's environments is batshit, as you can see in what must be thousands of screens now in the various console screenshot threads. Its nuts that Evo put that much effort in for what most players will just fly on by.

FH3 is a great game but it's main weakness to me is the weird handling even without assists.

It also has worse graphics with a bit better IQ IMO. it is open world though, and that is a pretty big thing going for it.

I loved both games. I turn on DC every now and then to play some of the DLC I have never completed. It's always fun.

I've finished the DriveClub Tour, and have played a chunk of the DLC, and while the vegetation looks nice, none of it is truly interactive, so I'm giving this one to Forza Horizon 3, which sees its shrubbery get flattened by your vehicle, or chopped up, or blown about by the weather and so on. Feels much more dynamic and interactive and that matters more to me.

Top Bottom