• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PRINCE OF PERSIA!!!!

Zapages

beelzebozo said:
he filed for copyright on prince of persia prodigy less than a week ago iirc, so i'm sort of extrapolating from that. pure conjecture, but the new aesthetic and story screams mechner.

Not from my knowledge... I'll definitely try to ask Mr. Mechner when I get a chance to...

Haunted

beelzebozo said:
he filed for copyright on prince of persia prodigy less than a week ago iirc, so i'm sort of extrapolating from that. pure conjecture, but the new aesthetic and story screams mechner.
oooh, interest rising if true. :)

Zapages said:
highly doubt that.... Mr. Mechner is more involved in the graphic novel and the movie...
oooh, interest not rising if true. :(

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

Raide

I am guessing most people are happy with the direction Ubisoft is taking the art for the new Prince of Persia game then?

It is difficult to make a new Prince of Persia game and not make it too much like Assassin's Creed or to borrow certain things from the game. It was best to step away from Assassin's Creed and have Prince of Persia stand out in a new gameplay and art style.

Johnas

Many kudos to Ubi for going with this refreshing visual style.

More power than ever is available to devs these days, but so many of them don't avail themselves of it to create a unique or different look. This style fits like a glove.

Zapages

Raide said:
I am guessing most people are happy with the direction Ubisoft is taking the art for the new Prince of Persia game then?

It is difficult to make a new Prince of Persia game and not make it too much like Assassin's Creed or to borrow certain things from the game. It was best to step away from Assassin's Creed and have Prince of Persia stand out in a new gameplay and art style.

I know what you mean Assassin's Creed... Assassin's Creed was the next Gen PoP game before Ubi changed.

Its good, but with cell shading unless its like the later Street Fighter IV screen shots, which have good sense of color looking like a painting... That something seems to be missing in some of them, yet its present in the other ones. It becomes apparent as some of the screens give a PoP 3D/2(original) art vibe*in a good way*. Trust me on that.

The cell shading will definitely please the hardcore gamers. But what about the casual gamers. Maybe what I'm trying to get is that how is Ubi going to project this to casual games who think everything cell shaded is kiddy and differentiate itself in the way that it doesn't get compared to the cell shaded Naruto game as the other screen shots make it appear it like that... Please try to make it more mature cell shaded then that and maybe something like SF IV (the later images without the buffness/steroid-ness)...

Sorry for being critical...

Frenck

Banned
AC sold like 7 or 8 million copies and they don't make a sequel. It's not like any of their studios can't shit out another crappy PoP sequel.

Back to the same old stuff Ubi :-(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Kudos for the really interesting art style, even though it's not what I was hoping for. Even more kudos for what sounds like it will be steps in the right directions for the game, reading that description of what they are doing.

Frenck said:
AC sold like 7 or 8 million copies and they don't make a sequel. It's not like any of their studios can't shit out another crappy PoP sequel.

Regardless of what it sold, I think PoP series is a lot more deserving of a good sequel than AC is, from what I've played of AC so far (and everyone is telling me it doesn't get any better)

wazoo

Zapages said:
The cell shading will definitely please the hardcore gamers. But what about the casual gamers. Maybe what I'm trying to get is that how is Ubi going to project this to casual games who think everything cell shaded is kiddy and differentiate itself in the way that it doesn't get compared to the cell shaded Naruto game as the other screen shots make it appear it like that... Please try to make it more mature cell shaded then that and maybe something like SF IV (the later images without the buffness/steroid-ness)...

Sorry for being critical...

THe few screens available look really mature. The monsters would not look out of place in ICO.

LegendofJoe said:
Was there a release date mentioned in the story?

Ubi's financial reports from 3rd/4th quarter both indicate that PoP will release in Fiscal 2009, which means anytime from now until March 2009. My guess would be this November.

http://www.mcvuk.com/press-releases/34557/Ubisoft-reports-2007-08-third-quarter-sales

Frenck said:

What part of this announcement says that Assassin's Creed 2 isn't coming out? :lol

Just don't expect it this year.

They've already got

PoP
Haze
Endwar
H.A.W.X.
Far Cry 2
Brothers in Arms
Shaun White Snowboarding
Splinter Cell
Anno

coming out this year

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Because they are making PoP now, doesn't mean AC isn't in pre-production for when PoP is finished end of this year, which is only 9/8 months away. :)

Obviously there will be sequel to AC at some point.

This new PoP art style I don't know, but more then willing to indulge.

Zapages

wazoo said:
THe few screens available look really mature. The monsters would not look out of place in ICO.

Its mostly is the back of the character/arms... Seem if they were from Naruto cell shaded game. Also when the monster has the new Prince grabbed its kind off... Something seems not right... As the background everything is higher in count then him and the monster... You see what i mean?

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Ubi's financial reports from 3rd/4th quarter both indicate that PoP will release in Fiscal 2009, which means anytime from now until March 2009. My guess would be this November.

Coming this year according to official PR announce yesterday. Not 2009. Could be that it will be delayed obvously :)

batbeg

wazoo said:

Also known as "That Game With One Monster Model (Which is a Black Shadow That if You Look Closely Enough at You Will See Some Horns)"?

This is obviously a much more "adult" style than something like Ico which is subdued and beautiful. This is harsh and vibrant.

Marconelly said:
Kudos for the really interesting art style, even though it's not what I was hoping for. Even more kudos for what sounds like it will be steps in the right directions for the game, reading that description of what they are doing.

Regardless of what it sold, I think PoP series is a lot more deserving of a good sequel than AC is, from what I've played of AC so far (and everyone is telling me it doesn't get any better)

thats fair, but AC had alot more potential than any of the PoP games before it...the game had incredible potential, and did somethings very very well, its just the actual game content was lacking...

Regardless, looks like they are going in an entirely new direction with this anyway, so I can't say I desire a new AC more just now

batbeg

Tompouss said:

I can see you're new here.

Read the damn forum rules before you get yourself banned. Or at least read enough of the thread to know why WE'RE not posting links to scans.

eve241

I've only seen one picture from the Prince but does he now sport some kind of katana? That weapon on the back of his waste.

wouwie

I really like this type of games and the artstyle definately looks interesting and nice. Can't wait to see in-game video footage. My number 1 most anticipated game of the year for now.

Doodis

Glad they're reinventing the series. I loved Sands of Time and its whimsical story, but Warrior Within was a let down. Hope this new game brings the series back to form.

jett

D-Member
beelzebozo said:

It does? I'd be surprised if he's involved at all in this game, he's busy with the film.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I see on GAF most people like the art style, on other sites people bitch.

Oh well, glad to know at least people here in general like it.

batbeg said:
Also known as "That Game With One Monster Model (Which is a Black Shadow That if You Look Closely Enough at You Will See Some Horns)"?

This is obviously a much more "adult" style than something like Ico which is subdued and beautiful. This is harsh and vibrant.

to me this looks much more cartoony...ICO and certainly SOTC have a more 'mature' look... regardless, this looks fantastic

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hmm, I think that's a bit of a stretch. ICO is a little boy with horns and a girl chased by shadows. SotC is more "mature" because of the colossi, but PoP has duels, swords, etc., so I don't think it's going to look less mature than the previous ones. Very little has been shown yet.

Threi

notag
*scan removed*

holy shit that looks nice

*edit* Two statements:

1. The whole "Oh yeah its not on Wii because the Wii version wouldn't look good" argument is complete bullshit. Have you people not learned anything from Sonic Unleashed? A game can come to any platform if the developer sees it fit to put it there.

2. Sonic Unleased is coming to the Wii. This POP isn't. Get the fuck over it. The whining about "why isn't this on Wii waaaaaahh" is stupid. You get some games, you don't get others. Grow up.

eve241

This is actually the kind of cel-shading I always hoped to see. More specifically I wouldn't mind seeing it on a Legacy of Kain sequel.

Scrubking

Threi said:
2. Sonic Unleased is coming to the Wii. This POP isn't. Get the fuck over it. The whining about "why isn't this on Wii waaaaaahh" is stupid. You get some games, you don't get others. Grow up.

You don't think it's completely ridiculous that after Ubisoft publicly apologized for crappy Wii games and promised Nintendo Quality that they haven't even come close to keeping their word and then actively screw Wii gamers by consistently not putting their top games on the console?

And you talk like the Wii is just missing one game in the series when in reality it hasn't had any POP games outside of that one crappy port.

Seriously, telling people that they need to grow up because they want to talk about something that affects them is way more immature than people wondering why a company is screwing them over.

jett

D-Member
Endow said:
This is actually the kind of cel-shading I always hoped to see. More specifically I wouldn't mind seeing it on a Legacy of Kain sequel.

I think I'd like it better if it didn't have the black outlines...I think they're unnecessary.

eve241

jett said:
I think I'd like it better if it didn't have the black outlines...I think they're unnecessary.

Sort of reminds me of some of the outlines Moebius uses on some of his drawings. I'm sure it's pretty common in comics but I'm not really an expert anyway. Moebius was the first thing that came to mind; not because of the actual style of the drawings though.

I would love a good cel-shaded game with Moebius as art director....

Haunted

jett said:
We definitely need to see it in motion to get a more detailed impression of that.

JB1981

Ubisoft gets a lot more shit than they deserve.

Assassin's Creed, while flawed, still has the potential to be one of the best franchises of the next generation. I expect great things from the sequel. This game also looks and sounds amazing. Go UBI, Go.

Top Bottom