• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 5M consoles sold in Japan

Shin

Banned
Sony is really gonna have to make a handheld for the ps5 like Nintendo did with Switch if they want any significant sales in Japan.

It's one or the other, either go hybrid like Switch or all out home console, I prefer the latter.
Also they have ForwardWorks to cover the missing gap.

How long will that last now that Switch is a success in both japan and western market?

It will never stop. The question is rather if the Switch is a good platform for Japanese third party games from big IPs to the more niche and otaku games. Fate pretty much bombed last week.

Meanwhile the PS4 is a proven platform with a specific audience and will always be a crucial platform for Japan.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Highest LTD for sure. It's just not the best selling week by week, that was my point.
And thanks for the explanation, only heard secondary to describe those before.

The Switch?
It's both, but still marketed primarily as a home console
as long as the 3DS is kept alive.

Right...

I figured this was gonna be the reply. Just wanted to make sure.

Its marketed primarily as a home console, but functionality is primarily a handheld....

Its selling extremely well in a country that is heavily handheld focused...

Good job Nintendo. Good job.

Like I said before, sales threads are gonna be interesting from now on...lol.

Conveniently leaving out how console gaming is dying in Japan? The fact that it's keeping pace despite this environment is amazing, actually.

Tbh the PS3 was an embarassment in Japan early on. The PS4 keeping pace mostly just says that Sony's core audience hasn't expanded which imo is more troubling than amazing. But PS4 software has been good so that's where I think the positives lie.

It will never stop. The question is rather if the Switch is a good platform for Japanese third party games from big IPs to the more niche and otaku games. Fate pretty much bombed last week.

Meanwhile the PS4 is a proven platform with a specific audience and will always be a crucial platform for Japan.

Ayyy lmao.

mejin

Solid sales, usually i would be disappointed with 5m for the main console in its 4th year - but many games ala Nier have been performing very well so thats probably the best the markt can offer right now.

PS4 will be on the market for a long time and devs can target the global market on that console - it did its job so far.

But 5m isnt amazing lets be honest for a a second...PS3 hat to compete against DS/PSP/Wii and managed similar numbers. Its good considering the market...but amazing ? I mean the system has been backed by every big developer from Day 1, this isnt some underdog system.

If we want to be honest: 5M in 3y and 5 months.

LordKano

Sony won't make another handled because they won't try to cater to the Japanese market specifically. PS4 is not doing good in Japan, but what is 5M compared to the 70M it's selling worldwide ? Why would they concentrate efforts into reaching an audience that wouldn't be worth the hassle ?

They're doing the right choice by focusing almost exclusively on the Western market.

How long will that last now that Switch is a success in both japan and western market?

It won't matter since PS4 sales to big in the west .
I expect most games going to be Switch\PS4 in Japan going forward unless they to tech heavy .
In the west it will be Switch\PS4\ PC for Japanese for most games.

sotojuan

It's one or the other, either go hybrid like Switch or all out home console, I prefer the latter.
Also they have ForwardWorks to cover the missing gap.

But then they won't have strong sales in the West/Europe. Players here want a powerful console. I'd continue home console for West and make a GOOD portable for Japan if they care about that market.

D.Lo

Nah.

Didn't the PS3 launch at some ridiculous price, and had the Wii as competition?

Now? PS4 launches at a good price and had almost zero competition and it's doing as good as the PS3? Thats an accomplishment?

Get ready for Switch to eat PS4 sales immensely.
Exactly, PS4 only overtook the Wii U a few months ago, won't be on shelves anywhere near as long as the PS3, and if Nintendo can get their production rolling Switch will overtake PS4 in Japan sometime next year.

Shin

Banned
But then they won't have strong sales in the West/Europe. Players here want a powerful console. I'd continue home console for West and make a GOOD portable for Japan.

Yeah that's why I rather they continue as is, it's not their fault that Japan isn't interested in home consoles.
At least they aren't standing still and established --> ForwardWorks to cater the mobile market.

Tbh the PS3 was an embarassment in Japan early on. The PS4 keeping pace mostly just says that Sony's core audience hasn't expanded which imo is more troubling than amazing. But PS4 software has been good so that's where I think the positives lie.

This is Japan we talking about there is no core audience to expand upon .
The country has huge problem with it's ageing population .
So anyone that was expecting that were kidding there self along with how big mobile is .

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Exactly, PS4 only overtook the Wii U a few months ago, won't be on shelves anywhere near as long as the PS3, and if Nintendo can get their production rolling Switch will overtake PS4 in Japan sometime next year.

Wasnt the Wii U out like a whole year earlier....

If wiki is correct PS4 didnt even launch in Japan util Feb 2014....So Wii U was out in Japan for a year and 1-2 months?

But please, lets all continue with these disqualifies. The Wii U as a measurement is nothing to gloat over but still, lol.

Again, in context to everything posted.....I dont get the downplay of these sales....

So you expected growth in a market where home consoles are declining?

Okay.

Sami+

Sony is really gonna have to make a handheld for the ps5 like Nintendo did with Switch if they want any significant sales in Japan.

Honestly I'd be surprised if we don't get a Switch-esque PS4 Portable alongside the PS5. It just makes too much sense to not do imo. At that point, maybe a two years from now, it's not likely Nintendo would be launching a Switch successor either, so the two could compete relatively head to head for a while while Sony is also pushing PS5.

Japanese players especially would likely be interested in playing both old and new releases like Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, Kingdom Hearts III, FF7R, and so on, but it also has the same appeal for Western players and could boost their appeal for kids.

crinale

The PS4 number in Japan, huge number overseas, and adequate library support seem to be enough to keep Japanese third parties on board. Good job Sony.
Are PhyreEngines still free as long as they keep games Sony exclusive?

WiiU barely did 3 million in Japan, despite GAF believed it would dominate Japan.

LordKano

The PS4 number in Japan, huge number overseas, and adequate library support seem to be enough to keep Japanese third parties on board. Good job Sony.
Are PhyreEngines still free as long as they keep games Sony exclusive?

PhyreEngine never meant exclusive games. There are Xbox games using PhyreEngine.

leeh

We're talking about Japan, the country which has seen the biggest consumption of mobile gaming. The market when the PS3 launched didn't even know what an iPhone was. Its good that its tracking the around the same.

This is Japan we talking about there is no core audience to expand upon .
The country has huge problem with it's ageing population .
So anyone that expect that were kidding there self along with how big mobile is .

The PS3 was a literal market failure on every level that took years to recovers to respectable levels. The PS4 was never that dire as a product. I would expect growth from PS3 to PS4 given how bad the PS3 started. I get the PS4 didn't have a good Japanese based line up but it still had many other benefits over the PS3. The hardware had basically 0 growth. The software had pretty good growth.

The overall situation is decent imo but I would be lying if I said the PS4 staying in line with PS3 was amazing. It's a much better product.

It's baffling to me people think this is an amazing result. It's not. It's decent. Certainly not bad, certainly not amazing. In the bigger picture the PS4 is in a great spot

In Japan, right?

In a place where home consoles are like a dying breed right?

But to some....this isnt amazing...

Sometimes I do wonder whats the criteria for something to be considered good for some folks.

Compliant with their internal reality.

Shin

Banned
Hasn't the market shrunk as a whole when you think about it?
X360+PS3 sold about 170m (85+85) over the course of 7 years, no?
PS4 is at 60m and MS at 30m ATM (rounded off), by the time the next gens launches they might end up at 140m total, that's still 30m less than the previous gen.

lyrick

PS4 is at 60m and MS at 30m ATM (rounded off), by the time the next gens launches they might end up at 140m total, that's still 30m less than the previous gen.

if you add in the Wii too, the market has fucking collapsed.

Oemenia

Banned
Nah.

Didn't the PS3 launch at some ridiculous price, and had the Wii as competition?

Now? PS4 launches at a good price and had almost zero competition and it's doing as good as the PS3? Thats an accomplishment?

Get ready for Switch to eat PS4 sales immensely.
Sony can also cut the price for the PS4 and do so to a much greater extent.

Sikowitz

Banned
Sony will never make another handheld again and they don't have to. They rock in the west. They don't depend on the japanese market like Nintendo does. They just have to make a good home console.

Back on topic. 5 million consoles sold in Japan is good. We don't live in the 90s anymore. So more japanese games for the PS4 is all I want. And they are coming.

Wait people think because the Switch is going to outsell the PS4 in Japan (no shit) that devs will stop making games for PS4 in favor of the Switch? No. The West is the largest market now and games are going to come to the system with the most sales there. It's going to be PS4/Switch and probably PC for most Japanese Devs I would imagine. Perhaps most will be Switch only in Japan but not outside of it.

If this console generation doesn't take 8 years then it would be the opposite.

Wait people think because the Switch is going to outsell the PS4 in Japan (no shit) that devs will stop making games for PS4 in favor of the Switch? No. The West is the largest market now and games are going to come to the system with the most sales there. It's going to be PS4/Switch and probably PC for most Japanese Devs I would imagine. Perhaps most will be Switch only in Japan but not outside of it.

Yeah, like Monster Hunter. Oh wait.

PS4 will never be skipped despite whatever happens to Switch.

The PS3 was a literal market failure on every level that took years to recovers to respectable levels. The PS4 was never that dire as a product. I would expect growth from PS3 to PS4 given how bad the PS3 started. I get the PS4 didn't have a good Japanese based line up but it still had many other benefits over the PS3. The hardware had basically 0 growth. The software had pretty good growth.

The overall situation is decent imo but I would be lying if I said the PS4 staying in line with PS3 was amazing. It's a much better product.

The PS3 came out before mobile took over .
That is number one factor you have to look at with today's market .
Japan was already handheld land for years now since the DS\PSP era .
PS4 is doing okay in today market .

As long as it is enough to continue getting Japanese support, it is fine for me. I can't see a scenario where Japanese devs abandon PS either way.

jjonez18

Do we still get updated LTD's for European countries anymore?

How does this compare to UK, France, Germany?

What's North America at right now?

crinale

As long as it is enough to continue getting Japanese support, it is fine for me. I can't see a scenario where Japanese devs abandon PS either way.

Asia is also a huge factor where Sony pretty much dominates, as the console vendor anyway. Games like Yakuza sold half of its copies at Asian market outside of Japan.

For some reason people think MHW will be as big as DQ and FF. I bet it will sell more like RE and MGS.

It going to be interesting to see what it does .
Then again some people on GAF did not think DQ would sell much on PS4 .
So the next MC going to be very active lol .

I think almost no other console took longer to reach the first million in Japan than the PS4, so the machine has definitly recovered nicely here.

The fact it reached 5 million just before PS3 is always a good sign and the PS4 continue to be up YoY. The last home console, the Wii U, died before 4M, despite being from the most beloved firm in Japan.

Western games are doing more and more good numbers in Japan, but let's hope the japanese studios will be able to bring more important games like DQXI, Monster Hunter World and Kingdom Hearts III, allowing the machine to reach 10M.

The Switch will have all the million sellers it wants in Japan (Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, Pokémon, Animal Crossing...), so unless people want a market with only one platform holder, the PS4 has to be supported.

The PS3 came out before mobile took over .
That is number one factor you have to look at with today's market .

The PS3 was also the 4th best selling console of that generation. The PSP, Wii and DS all outsold it. It wasn't leading the market in anything. Even though mobile blew up it wasn't like the PS3 was beasting. It was being crushed by all the other systems on the market. The landscape of the market changed but it's not like the PS3 was beasting because there was no mobile. It was still getting it's ass kicked.

Japan was already handheld land for years now since the DSPSP era .

Sure I agree.

PS4 is doing okay in today market .

I think I said that like 3 or 4 times already. I am contesting the idea that it's doing amazing considering the market. Given how poor the PS3 started the PS4 staying flat isn't amazing to me. I know the market changed. I am considering that. I still think the over all result is goodish.

D.Lo

few months ago or a year ago?
October last year, so split the difference. And yes Wii U was out a year earlier, but beating Wii U is not exactly something to gloat about.

Conveniently leaving out how console gaming is dying in Japan? The fact that it's keeping pace despite this environment is amazing, actually.
It's not that home console market has died, it's just that the Japanese are not interested in large western-focused boxes. Within the last decade, the last non-western focused, non idiotic (Wii U) console, the Wii, sold well for four years. It dropped like a rock but was a very high selling home console for several years just like the rest of the world, beating the PSP for most of that time until the MHG explosion. And now we have a non-western focused hybrid, the Switch, selling with extreme hype in Japan.

If this console generation doesn't take 8 years then it would be the opposite.
Except you have to add 100 million Wiis, 155 million DSes and 80 million PSPs to that total. The market has dramatically collapsed.

Except you have to add 100 million Wiis, 155 million DSes and 80 million PSPs to that total. The market has dramatically collapsed.

And the PS4 does better than the PS3, so what's your point here in a Japan sales PS4 thread? Outside of pulling out wrong narratives like world wide sales and wrong WiiU numbers

HardRojo

Decent at best, considering its rocky launch. Switch comparisons wouldn't be pretty if Nintendo had been more aggressive with their supply, they'd be selling a lot more for sure.

Top Bottom