• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy a NEW Namco Museum featuring their 1990s (3D) stuff?

yyr

This week, Namco Museum for Nintendo Switch is coming out. But most of its games are just the same old 2D 1980s stuff once again, the games already included in so many of their compilations. Ho hum.

Here's a question: would you spend your money on a brand NEW Namco Museum compilation, one that broke free of the 1980s and seriously focused on some of their fantastic output from the 1990s? Like, the games that started the 3D revolution along with Sega's.

I'm talking about Driver's Eyes. StarBlade, and Air Combat, and CyberSled. The original Ridge Racer trilogy including Rave Racer. Alpine Racer and its sequel. Prop Cycle. Rapid River. Motocross Go. Not all of them are classics, but they were each amazing for their time and played well.

Tokyo Wars with LAN support. Just think of how amazing that would be.

The original Time Crisis and Point Blank, each with PS Move support, finally arcade-perfect on console for the first time. Maybe the second entries in both series, while we're at it.

Throw in the first few Tekken games and Soul Edge because why the hell not? They are, of course, part of that history as well.

I'd pay $40, or $50, or $60 day one for this, easily. And I'd pay it again if Sega released a similar compilation with their Model 1, 2, and 3 stuff. Even just the more popular of those games would be fantastic.

What about you guys? Would you spend your hard-earned money on this theoretical thing? Or do you not have as soft of a spot for these games as I do?

Dwayne

Sure, seems like a very difficult collection to develop though, so i'm not surprised they're not doing it.

Sho Nuff

Banned
There's a bitchload of System XX arcade stuff that deserves to be played. All the early Evans & Sutherland board 3D stuff is great.

Razlo

A way for people to play The Outfoxies without having to buy the arcade cabinet version like I did, would be nice.

low-G

Would be cool to see proper ports of the original Ridge Racer & such on consoles. Really blows away every console version we got.

yyr

Sure, seems like a very difficult collection to develop though, so i'm not surprised they're not doing it.

They'd need to work on some emulators, yes. But most of these games don't have any licensed material in them, so beyond that I don't see how it'd be all that tough.

Absolutely, but would Bandai Namco let their programmers create such a title?

If they thought people would buy it, maybe. That's half the reason I created this thread. I'm hoping that some of us will say "yes" and someone over there will notice...

Danneee

Without a doubt.

If only to show that there is demand for 90s 3D retro and that Sega might do a Model 2 collection if a Namco one does well enough.

Edit: and for the record, I'm never going to buy the same old 80s compilations these companies have put out since the 90s. Midway is the exception.

There's a ton of 90s arcade games that have never got home ports, so any chance to get those would be fine by me! There's a few that I wish Sega would do as well.

tsab

This gen has zero lightgun games. I would buy a Classic Time Crisis collection instantly
Throw in Deadstorm Pirates as an unlockable too!

yyr

This gen has zero lightgun games. I would buy a Classic Time Crisis collection instantly
Throw in Deadstorm Pirates as an unlockable too!

YES THIS

I've been wanting an arcade-perfect Time Crisis 1 at home since I first played the arcade version in the 90s. We still don't have one. We got great versions of 2 and 3 on PS2, but they're stuck in the past. Current-gen ports with LAN play for 2P mode would be fantastic. And all 3 would certainly work as part of a Namco Museum collection.

If they can make the GunCon3 work on PS4, that'd be perfect. I'd settle for Move if not.

In the event that we can't get a 3D Namco Museum, I'd certainly settle for a Time Crisis collection. It'd be a perfect excuse to bring home TC5. Those folks that couldn't bring themselves to buy TC5 alone might spring for the whole series.

As far as extras...we have arcade-perfect Deadstorm already, but not on current gen, and not with the Special Edition levels currently available in arcades. These could both be fixed =) It'd also be nice to have Dark Escape at home. I'd take it even without the 3D.

bjork

I'd be into this for sure. Most companies have proven they have the early 80s preservation down pat. Now let's see the same treatment for anything after that.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
namcollection01.jpg
I guess when they turn 100 they'll do it

yyr

You left out Pac-Man world OP

No I didn't. That's not an arcade game.

It is rare to see non-arcade games in Namco Museum collections. All I can think of, off the top of my head, are the PSP Arrangement variants (newly created for the PSP version) and Pac-Man Vs. in the new Switch version.

Namco had a lot of great output on PS1, but personally, I would prefer that they focus on arcade titles if they release a new compilation. Many of their PS1 games (including Pac-Man World) are already available digitally on the PlayStation Store, and hopefully those will eventually carry forward to a current/new PS platform.

I'd buy a new Namco Museum with the old style navigatable 3D museum hub menus tbqh

It'd be pretty sweet to see this again, but I can't remember the last time we saw a retro compilation with that sort of thing.

No I didn't. That's not an arcade game.

It is rare to see non-arcade games in Namco Museum collections. All I can think of, off the top of my head, are the PSP Arrangement variants (newly created for the PSP version) and Pac-Man Vs. in the new Switch version.

This isn't meant as a correction, but let me add that I think variations on the Arrangement games were also on GBA and I know for sure Pac-Man Vs. was also on Namco Museum DS. Just in case anyone was interested.in tracking them down.

Giga Man

I want a Pac-Man World collection. Those are surprisingly well done platformers.

The first two were. I wouldn't mind replaying them today. Can't say the same about the third. It tried to be pseudo-open world and story-based with voice acting, and I got bored with it quickly.

Orb

I would take a Soul Calibur HD collection sooner tbh. Or just Soul Calibur 2/3. Or 6. Or 5 HD Turbo Remix. Y'know, anything to show its not dead lol.

Fiendcode

Wii VC Arcade had some 90s Namco stuff in Japan that tends to get overlooked in the Museums. Even some early 3D games like Solvalou, Starblade and Cyber Sled.

That said the Switch Museum is at least delivering Rolling Thunder 1-2 and Splatterhouse, so it's not just the same 80s retreads again.

yyr

This isn't meant as a correction, but let me add that I think variations on the Arrangement games were also on GBA and I know for sure Pac-Man Vs. was also on Namco Museum DS. Just in case anyone was interested.in tracking them down.

Pac-Man Arrangement on GBA was actually the original Pac-Man Arrangement that appeared as part of the Namco Classics Collection arcade games, not the completely different "Pac-Man Arrangement" that was made for PSP.

The PS2/Xbox/GameCube versions of Namco Museum also have several of these original arcade-version Arrangement games (but not all of them). They were all fantastic.

Wii VC Arcade had some 90s Namco stuff in Japan that tends to get overlooked in the Museums. Even some early 3D games like Solvalou, Starblade and Cyber Sled.

Whoa, really??! I was not at all aware of this...

That in itself is exciting to me, but it also means that Namco (or someone they paid) have already emulated these systems.

Moofers

Give me Alpine Racer on a console and I'll give you $100.

Also, a Time Crisis collection would be an instant buy for me.

Benedict

A remaster of Ridge Racer, Ridge Racer Revolution and Rave Racer similar to the recent Wipeout collection would be very nice.

j^aws

Yeah, I'd be happy to oblige. However, I'd also like to see a modern day version of their NeGcon controller released with their racers, too.

yyr

Yeah, I'd be happy to oblige. However, I'd also like to see a modern day version of their NeGcon controller released with their racers, too.

OMG I WOULD LOVE THIS

I have never used anything else to play RR 1-5 in many, many years. It worked well for Gran Turismo, too!

Megatron

Namco has never gone all out on a collection. They always seem to be building to the next collection and holding stuff back for it. So a collection like this would never happen. This would be like three collections, with crap no one wants tossed in as padding.

steveovig

I would cream my pants for something like that, specifically if it was chock full of 3D racers. I can't figure out why they haven't done something like that yet and the same goes for Sega. That Dirt Dash game looks awesome, btw. I'm not sure how they'd do the light gun stuff though but if they can figure it out, I'm in.

DansDans

YES YES YES YES YES

I don't even care (well I do) what they put on this collection, just do it

They have such a rich arcade history and back-log of terrific games

BTW Namco, I am NOT buying your 80's games again and again. I want something different. I need something different

Top Bottom