• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 surpasses 5M consoles sold in Japan

How on earth is that amazing? It sadly shows how far the Japanese console market as declined and rubbish it really is these days. 5 million used to be the number SONY could expect to sell in a year in Japan alone.

No wonder Japanese developers are nothing like they used to be in the 16-bit, 32-bit and PS2 days bar from Fromsoftware and the odd little here and there

In line with PS3, which is not bad nor good.
Software though...

Still better overall than expected at first, wonder how long this one will last, since I really doubt it'll go up to PS3 LTD numbers (Japan only before someone jumps on that).

Software is doing better than PS3 in Japan .
Not bad since consoles don't really sell great in Japan any more.

How on earth is that amazing? It sadly shows how far the Japanese console market as declined and rubbish it really is these days. 5 million used to be the number SONY could expect to sell in a year in Japan alone.

No wonder Japanese developers are nothing like they used to be in the 16-bit, 32-bit and PS2 days bar from Fromsoftware and the odd little here and there
I mean yeh, looking at what the market has become, it's solid. Not 'amazing'.

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, Japan is a lost cause for consoles.

They are clearly more interested in phones and handhelds.

Sony made a smart move by focusing less on Japan. Launching PS4 first in the West, and didn't they move their headquarters to America?

Would be nice for Sony to get more sales from Japan obviously, but I think Sony has shown Japan isn't really vital for them anymore.

Eolz

Software is doing better than PS3 in Japan .
Not bad since consoles don't really sell great in Japan any more.

It's better overall, worse for big titles. More mid/low tier titles sales.

Edit: the PS3 didn't have a good showing for the time either.

Is it amazing?
Seems lackluster to me despite all the Japanese only/centric games released for the system.
It's been out for about 3 1/2 years there and with a population of 126-127mill, 55m+ for the rest of the world then.

Not amazing.

But with how the home console market in Japan is cratering, not being down generation-over-generation is decent

lyrick

The market change over there sure has taken its toll.

It's weird to think that the #1 selling dedicated home console is essentially barely competitive with the add-on console from last gen.

Shin

Banned
Yeah, Japan is a lost cause for consoles.

They are clearly more interested in phones and handhelds.

Sony made a smart move by focusing less on Japan. Launching PS4 first in the West, and didn't they move their headquarters to America?

Would be nice for Sony to get more sales from Japan obviously, but I think Sony has shown Japan isn't really vital for them anymore.

I wouldn't so far and it's rather spreading FUD, 5 million is still a lot, just not past generations a lot.

cakely

ITT: Five million PS4s sold in Japan means that country is a lost cause.

It's a decent number for a console that's probably on its way to 100 million lifetime sales.

ethomaz

Banned
Congrats.

This table from hiska-kun makes give you a better ideia.

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------- 
|    |   PlayStation 3   |   PlayStation 4   |  Difference  | 
|    |    (2006/11/11)   |    (2014/02/22)   |              | 
|----|---------|---------|---------|---------|--------------| 
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Weekly |   LTD   |   PS4 - PS3  | 
| 177|   50.448|4.925.582|   29.771|4.935.270|         9.688|
| 178|   38.877|4.964.459|   36.218|4.971.488|         7.029|
| 179|   28.973|4.993.432|   30.878|5.002.366|         8.934|
| 180|   25.590|5.019.022|         |         |              |
| 181|   25.629|5.044.651|         |         |              |
| 182|   32.874|5.077.525|         |         |              |
| 183|   26.185|5.103.710|         |         |              |
| 184|   20.463|5.124.173|         |         |              |
| 185|   19.075|5.143.248|         |         |              |
| 186|   20.987|5.164.235|         |         |              |
| 187|   18.951|5.183.186|         |         |              |
| 187|   17.676|5.200.862|         |         |              |

PS4 will start to stay ahead PS3 by a good margin and it will reach 6 million faster.

Oemenia

Banned
It's better overall, worse for big titles. More mid/low tier titles sales.

Edit: the PS3 didn't have a good showing for the time either.
Yeah it was heavily in favour of big games. The current software situation is much better than what it was on the PS3 overall.

Eolz

It's weird to think that the #1 selling dedicated home console is essentially barely competitive with the add-on console from last gen.

Uh?
The PS4 is not the best selling home console (week by week), and what is an "add-on console"?

It's still on pace with the PS3 and has quite a few system sellers still coming in its life(if ever)!!!!

D.Lo

The last actual 'decent' selling home console in Japan was the Wii at just under 13 million. Despite a very dragged-out lifespan PS3 never got close to matching the Wii, let alone PS2. I personally don't think Japan hates home consoles, they just don't like these ones (probably large, noisy, slow, western-focused). Nobody has made a home console to Japanese preferences since the PS2/Wii era. Even the Wii U overperformed there despite being a dog of a product.

5 million units is amazing number. Absolutely astonishing sales.
I can't tell if people are being sarcastic anymore.

Mikey Jr.

I wouldn't so far and it's rather spreading FUD, 5 million is still a lot, just not past generations a lot.

5 million is....ok.

Sony has sold 60 million. Take out Japan and not really much has changed.

Just saying is that Japan is not a priority anymore. Wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 launches a year later or more than everywhere else.

LordKano

that's only first year, not LTD

* will have. DQXI and MHW are not even released yet. Let's wait one year and then compare numbers again ;)

I doubt two big releases separated by 8 months or so will make a difference. 2016 was the break or make year.

The last actual 'decent' selling home console in Japan was the Wii at just under 13 million. Despite a very dragged-out lifespan PS3 never got close to matching the Wii, let alone PS2. I personally don't think Japan hates home consoles, they just don't like these ones (probably large, noisy, slow, western-focused). Nobody has made a home console to Japanese preferences since the PS2/Wii era. Even the Wii U overperformed there despite being a dog of a product.

I can't tell if people are being sarcastic anymore.
It is still on pace with PS3 so it should be a sign of sustaining similar sales totals.
Lol

entremet

There's a lot of sarcasm in this thread I'm guessing.

But Sony knows its over in Japan regarding consoles. They can still squeeze a good presence in their home country, but their entire business has moved to focus on the West. Their recent re-org also showed this.

Looking how the PS4 is the to go platform for Japanese software developers (and still often console exclusice), it's more or less one can expect in the post gatcha world.

lyrick

Uh?
The PS4 is not the best selling home console (week by week), and what is an "add-on console"?

The PS4 is the highest selling dedicated home console this Gen in Japan (and yes the 5M mark is mediocre for the highest selling home console after 3 1/2 years).

-

An add-on console is a secondary thing that goes next to your main one.

Like the PS3 was compared to the Wii for the beginning of the last generation.

Mikey Jr.

It is still on pace with PS3 so it should be a sign of sustaining similar sales totals.

Nah.

Didn't the PS3 launch at some ridiculous price, and had the Wii as competition?

Now? PS4 launches at a good price and had almost zero competition and it's doing as good as the PS3? Thats an accomplishment?

Get ready for Switch to eat PS4 sales immensely.

mejin

Market is considerably worse compared to those PS3 years. This is really good news for Sony and japanese developers. We all know they are thinking worldwide, but it's nice for them to have a growing market in Japan and of course, Asia as well.

This year have been amazing for ps4 and japanese games for me. I can only hope that once Switch overtake ps4. 3rd party jp dev will continue making multiplatform games for switch and ps4 and not goes back to mainly handheld only era.

Nah.

Now? PS4 launches at a good price and had almost zero competition and it's doing as good as the PS3? Thats an accomplishment?

Switch will need to get a lot of the multiplats for that to happen. Tbh I don't see PS4 being canabalized by the Switch though. Peaceful coexistance.

Nah.

However, it is easier for Sony to cut the price for the PS4 since it's not using esoteric technology.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Uh?

Curious what home console is then.....

Nah.

Was waiting for this.

Now watch as the Switch blows past the PS4....the fact that it doubles as a handheld will be downplayed by some.....in a country that really is more handheld focused.

IMO, in context with everything ppl have posted....5 million is amazing.

Just the gap between XBO and PS4 alone says it all. MS wish the XBO was selling at half the PS4 totals in Japan.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Solid sales, usually i would be disappointed with 5m for the main console in its 4th year - but many games ala Nier have been performing very well so thats probably the best the markt can offer right now.

PS4 will be on the market for a long time and devs can target the global market on that console - it did its job so far.

But 5m isnt amazing lets be honest for a a second...PS3 hat to compete against DS/PSP/Wii and managed similar numbers. Its good considering the market...but amazing ? I mean the system has been backed by every big developer from Day 1, this isnt some underdog system.

Shin

Banned
5 million is....ok.

Sony has sold 60 million. Take out Japan and not really much has changed.

Just saying is that Japan is not a priority anymore. Wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 launches a year later or more than everywhere else.

Agree
Disagree, 5 million is still a lot and every unit sold counts, just not amazing in the grand scheme of things but it's still 5,000,000.
Agree and I wouldn't be surprised either because we hungry, there's bound to be a shortage when it's released so it would be better if they launch later in JPN.

PantsuJo

Interested in seeing how DQXI affects those sales and how much more it'll sell on 3DS vs PS4 in JP.
It will help but I don't know if it can be a "game changer" for improve current numbers.

In a market dominated from mobile devices and Nintendo systems, 5mln of PS4 is a decent result, we should be realistic.

Nah.

You may be right

Sulik2

Now someone chart these sales in comparison to the PS2 so everyone can understand just how much of a decline that 5 million number actually is for Sony in Japan.

Mikey Jr.

Sony is really gonna have to make a handheld for the ps5 like Nintendo did with Switch if they want any significant sales in Japan.

I hope not. Nintendo is focusing everything on the switch. All their games. Last thing I want is Sony dividing up their games on another handheld just to placate some market.

Eolz

The PS4 is the highest selling dedicated home console this Gen in Japan (and yes the 5M mark is mediocre for the highest selling home console after 3 1/2 years).

-

An add-on console is a secondary thing that goes next to your main one.

Like the PS3 was compared to the Wii for the beginning of the last generation.

Highest LTD for sure. It's just not the best selling week by week, that was my point.
And thanks for the explanation, only heard secondary to describe those before.

Curious what home console is then.....

The Switch?
It's both, but still marketed primarily as a home console as long as the 3DS is kept alive.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It will help but I don't know if it can be a "game changer" for improve current numbers.

In a market dominated from mobile devices and Nintendo systems, 5mln of PS4 is a decent result, we should be realistic.

Amazing might not be the best term but its not the exact opposite either.

A middle ground. Agree with those saying decent.

Nah.

Conveniently leaving out how console gaming is dying in Japan? The fact that it's keeping pace despite this environment is amazing, actually.

Nah.

Well, it does have the Switch now and it didn't have a negative impact on the sales and software announcements. The PS4 will still doing okay in the future with now two big titles imcoming.

Sony is really gonna have to make a handheld for the ps5 like Nintendo did with Switch if they want any significant sales in Japan.

Sony does not care about Japan that much to do that .
They are selling better than PS3 in Asia and start to bring out there games on mobile.
They know they going to get a lot of software since Japanese companies depend on the west .
It make no sense more them .

Top Bottom