• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Sammy acquires Index (Atlus) for 14 billion yen, now a subsidiary of Sega

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acid08

Banned
I honestly don't get why people bag on Sega for not localizing more Yakuza games. They weren't exactly hot commodities over here. Blame people for not buying them.

That said, P5 is coming out here. It's a bigger US franchise than any of your unlocalized favorites.

Meesh

I might be disappointed, I'm not sure, but probably most definitely disgruntled at the least...

...what's this gonna mean for SMTxFireEmblem and future Nintendo partnerships? And is it worth Nintendo aquiring Sega at this point to maintain a steady flow o Sonic, SMT, Etrian Odyssey and the like???

I get that everyone's mad at Sega over Yakuza, but...aren't the costs for a Yakuza a bit greater than at least SMT and EO? Why is it assumed that localizations will completely disappear?

Not saying the pessimism isn't justified, I just kinda wish someone would explain it to me...

Wasn't that some random Russian actress basically copyright trolling?

Because the sky is falling, that's why!

Atlus doesn't make games just for Japan anymore, people.

Who's going to buy SEGA when they go bankrupt? I'm placing my bets on Nintendo.

Two thousand and never, because they never will thanks to Sammy? And they've also been making smart plays for a good while now?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'm never getting my Catherine follow-up now, am I. Or at least not getting one Stateside, anyway.

Love really is over.

Faustek

Does this mean less Atlus localizations? Or more Sega ones?

Still too early to say, I say lets live on the hope that Sega doesn't eff this up and if they do I hereby invite everyone to join me on my Viking ship when I set sail to Japan and start my invasion.

Yeah ludicrous so lets live on hope before we start raging :)

On the bright side, with no new Atlus titles being released in North America and Square Enix continuing to spiral into irrelevance, people will no longer have ANY excuses to ignore the greatness that is The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (aka Sora no Kiseki). Thank you XSEED for finally hearing our pleas!

Or the age is JRPG's in the west is over.

Best case scenario: Sega allows an Atlus team to make Phantasy Star V.
Worst case scenario: We only see Shin Megami Tensei/Persona games in the states, aside from a random game here or there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finally my long awaited dream of merging Sonic The Hedgehog's rich and loveable cast with the Persona series will become a reality.

Bleep

Hopefully they leave the USA localisation team intact and treat them like they do with their PC developers. This is actually very good news for people outside of Japan and USA as it means they will get proper distribution in countries outside of those two.

Sitrus

I sure am glad that Sony is going to be region-free. Nintendo should do that too if they want to completely annihilate SONY in the handheld market outside of japan. I am glad SEGA still supports both Sony and Nintendo with games so this won't change regarding the subsidiary of Atlus. And yes, I can confirm that Sega aquired Index if someone can't read japanese. Looks like the transfer is set for November this year.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
On the other hand, maybe this means more Atlus games for Europe in a timely manner? Probably not but hope springs eternal.

Persona7

Banned
Why does everyone keep associating Persona with Nintendo? Nintendo platforms have never received a Persona game.

I am just curious.

Tony Taka character designs for Shin Megami Tensei 5.
GAbdLPP.gif

I2amza

Oh lord. Not sure how I feel about this. Hope SEGA is lax with Atlus and they are still able to bring some Japanese goodies over to the West.

Atomski

You might want to ask them about Phantasy Star Online 2 first, even the Korean and Taiwanese MMOs don't ignore the Western countries.

Korean MMOs also dont typically erase stuff off your PC.

Think I will pass on PSO2 for a while after hearing about that..

Considering Sega's history of not localizing stuff I really don't see how this is humorous.

I hope the folks at Atlus USA make it through okay.

Oh for christ's sake, they didn't do VC3 because the 2nd one dive bombed, deal with it

You got 5 goddamn Yakuza games when you really only deserved one after the sales that one got (I blame the dub for that though).

Shit, you got Dead Souls for crying out loud! The only thing you could maybe get mad about is Kenzan.

So that's TWO titles.

But no, Segata Sanshiro is going to fucking judo throw everyone at Atlus USA into oblivion because they only bought Atlus to make games for Japan :p

Beelzebubs

I'm actually optimistic. Next Gen of consoles being so close to PC's with Sega currently doing extremely well on PC leaves me pretty happy.

Gamerloid

I really hope they keep Atlus separate and don't try to merge them with Sega. If Atlus USA goes away, megaten is pretty much dead. We would never get a new persona or SMT again.
Oh come on! You know how much this bothers me, 9th... Persona is part Shin Megami Tensei franchise! You can't say one Persona if you're going to say SMT in the same sentence.

cluderi

Of all the choices mentioned its not the worst, just so long as they leave localizations alone. Hopefully NISA, Nintendo and Sony step up to help with Europe stuff .

Guess its too much to hope it will help with Yakuza stuff in the West.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom