• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Episode was okay. I was digging it up until they found the original ship. Got a bit tiresome around that halfway mark and I didn't find the resolution satisfying at all. Bill and The Doctor had some fun interactions though.

Pleasantly surprised by the episode, I wouldn't say it's great by any means, but considering I hated In the Forest of the Night, this one was I'd say a solid episode. Nothing special in terms of plot, but fun just to watch the Doctor and Bill playing off each other, some great character work.

Also, Nardole wasn't in this very much, but I think he's starting to grow on me, him and the Doctor are very fun to watch with each other.

Bluth54

I thought we got a solid episode of Who. Not the worst but not the best either.

I assume it's the same evacuation from The Beast Below and those episodes of classic Who where there were solar flares or whatever it was.

Yeah we actually saw the Earth get destroyed in the second episode with the 9th Doctor and Rose.

Kevin

Just watched the final two episodes of series 9 and forgot how good that was. I hope series 10 delivers by the end as well.

Dryk

Yeah we actually saw the Earth get destroyed in the second episode with the 9th Doctor and Rose.
That's a different event. Sometime in the 30th century the Earth is rendered uninhabitable by solar flares so the population evacuates until it's safe again.

The relevant stories are: The Ark in Space, The Beast Below and now probably Smile

I think the AV Club review nails it by describing it as a great character piece with a very simplistic Doctor Who story tagged onto the end of it.

I love Bill and the Doctor together. Bill's sense of discovery and curiosity is fantastic (I always wondered about the point of the seats too), but I also love that it brings out a barely-contained glee in the Doctor.

Like, any time 12 gets to introduce a new element, Capaldi has this big grin on his face and its adorable. The student-teacher dynamic is a really clever element, particularly for this Doctor.

In some ways I wish this had been a later episode in the series that could have focused on some of the elements more. I really like the idea of your emotions showing but only to others, and grief being viewed as a dangerous plague that needs to be wiped out. It ends up feeling very underdeveloped here which is why its great to have some stellar character work instead.

Santiako

I liked the episode. Mackie and Capaldi are great together so I liked that most of the episode was just them.

Also, I recognized the place as the Ciudad de las Artes y las Ciencias in Valencia as I've been there before.

I thought it referenced beast below which means solar flares destroyed the earth. The UK escaped on a whale.

That seemed more of a reference. They didn't actually do anything to build upon the details surrounding the event. If anything this episode was more vague about it.

Boem

I was actually very pleasantly surprised. In a way this was the most old-school Doctor Who ep in ages. The Doctor and his companion just arriving on a planet (especially an idyllic settlement where something seems off) and spending a superlong time just exploring, talking, and discovering how this world works and what's off about it is extremely 60s Who. The ending was RTD levels of lame (another magic button to fix everything), but the lead up was real nice for me. Great location work as well, this was one of the best alien planets they had ever done. First episode did well in that regard as well. Maybe they finally figured out how to combine real world locations with small CG to create something new.

Loving this slow pace in these Capaldi episodes. Modern Who before that was always too hectic for me. Now they're allowed to take their time more - happy that hasn't changed in his final season.

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but do we know if Peter Jackson actually ended up doing anything for Who this run?

He's probably not going to do it at all. That one video they did was more of a joke. Jackson always talks about doing certain projects that take him years and years to get to, if he does them at all. I'm sure a low budget BBC series that would actually take him quite a bit of time and which has a very tight schedule isn't on the top of his list.

Moffat also outright said it's not happening in his DWM letter column, but people often take that as 'Moffat is playing coy'. But I'm pretty sure it's just not happening.

tomtom94

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but do we know if Peter Jackson actually ended up doing anything for Who this run?

Well his only remaining opportunity is to do the Christmas special and I can't help but feel that if he were going to do that the BBC would have announced it by now.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
My girlfriend, who admittedly is not a Doctor Who fan, thought this episode was terrible. I thought it was average, other than the resolution at the end which boiled down to "these robots murdered all your friends and family, but now they've forgotten, so don't be annoyed and also you have to pay them to live in the city you designed them to build for you, and be nice to them so they don't murder you all again".

The Doctor basically turning the last humans into an oppressed race forced to pay a bunch of murderers for shelter.

My girlfriend, who admittedly is not a Doctor Who fan, thought this episode was terrible. I thought it was average, other than the resolution at the end which boiled down to "these robots murdered all your friends and family, but now they've forgotten, so don't be annoyed and also you have to pay them to live in the city you designed them to build for you, and be nice to them so they don't murder you all again".

The Doctor basically turning the last humans into an oppressed race forced to pay a bunch of murderers for shelter.

yeah, but if you compare the ending of this to the last episode written by the same writer in season 8, you'll see why we're relatively positive on this episode. No
anti-science do-nothing ending or missing people materialising out of nowhere.

I thought it was three-quarters of an excellent episode with a pat, rushed ending bolted on.

Still, great location, lovely designs, and Capaldi and Mackie are just a dream when they're onscreen together. Just imagine how awful the episode would have been if it was Clara instead of Bill!

hamchan

Also wiping the memories of the robots doesn't really gel with the last ep where we learnt that it kinda sucks of the Doctor to wipe memories.

HigXx

Sick of Netflix UK messing about with what episodes they want to put up so Ive bought Series 9 Blu-Ray. Whats the best way to get the rest of the series? Just buy boxsets individually? The big blu-ray boxset seems quite expensive

Judging by the Amazon prices, the big boxset is more expensive than the individual sets. You could probably shave off a bit more with price comparison sites too. Big set is quite arbitrary too, it cuts off in the middle of the Smith era.

Boem

If you don't mind going digital you can also just go through itunes or the BBC store (or that new streaming service they set up recently).

In my region (Netherlands) Netflix has everything from season 5 to The Husbands of River Song.

mclem

Also wiping the memories of the robots doesn't really gel with the last ep where we learnt that it kinda sucks of the Doctor to wipe memories.

There's a possibility that's a theme for this season, particularly in the context of the end of the previous one.

Anyhow, I got the impression that it was removing their 'must be loyal to the mission' programming - which in turn removed their understanding of humanity. Releasing them from slavery, because the very nature of their slavery was what was causing them to kill people.

Decent episode last night. Nothing spectacular, but there were some nice ideas mixed in, and it felt like a solid piece of Doctor Who.

That's a different event. Sometime in the 30th century the Earth is rendered uninhabitable by solar flares so the population evacuates until it's safe again.

The relevant stories are: The Ark in Space, The Beast Below and now probably Smile

Nah. Beast Below was a massive continuity fuck up. The solar flare events happened nowhere close to the 30th century; more likely somewhere between the 50th and 60th century (the Ark technology itself was from the 30th century, but it's specifically made clear that it's thousands of years old).

Boem

Nah. Beast Below was a massive continuity fuck up. The solar flare events happened nowhere close to the 30th century; more likely somewhere between the 50th and 60th century (the Ark technology itself was from the 30th century, but it's specifically made clear that it's thousands of years old).

To be fair, the reason and moment in time when humans left earth has always been all over the place across both the classic and new series. It's best not to try and discover a definitive future path for mankind within Doctor Who, since that pretty much always gets reset whenever they do another future story. It was that way in the classic series as well, decades before Beast Below.

I think the closest relevant story to Smile is The Ark (the First Doctor story, not The Ark in Space). Not only do we have a certain rumor about
the 1st Doctor returning
, but we also had a lot of hints towards his era in the first episode (Susan's picture, the Mary Celeste sign, Bill & Heather's names referring to Billy Hartnell and his wife, etc), the fact that this series seems to be a bit of a throwback/back to basics version, the idea that episodes end and begin immediately after each other (for these first three at least - as in the Hartnell era), and the Doctor and his companion spending a long, long time exploring this new place (an idyllic human settlement no less) while slowly discovering how this new place works and what's wrong with it in this episode. That's super Hartnell.

And the episode ends with an actual elephant. What's the other Doctor Who story that famously featured a live action elephant?

That's right, the Ark, which also was about a future human settlement where the at first seemingly docile cohost slave race revolts and takes over from the humans (the Monoids in this case). They actually explicitly mentioned the elephant link on this episode's fact file on the official website:

tumblr_mmgg5m6jpw1rsg8c1o3_r1_400.jpg

There are a lot of parralels between those two stories, and between the Hartnell era and this series (so far) as well. Another example is the season starting off with a strange man with a strange box in an educational institution taking an interest into an unusual student (vibes of An Unearthly Child - note the Susan link - there. And the original Pilot!). And, of course, we're getting the original Hartnell era Cybermen later on. Hartnell is all over this shit.

I definitely think all those winks aren't coincidental. I'm happy they're really using the fact that we've got an older Doctor here to pay a bit of an homage to that era, since it seems unlikely we'll get another older Doctor any time soon.

There's a possibility that's a theme for this season, particularly in the context of the end of the previous one.

Anyhow, I got the impression that it was removing their 'must be loyal to the mission' programming - which in turn removed their understanding of humanity. Releasing them from slavery, because the very nature of their slavery was what was causing them to kill people.
Right. People miss the nuance. Reseting the Vardi freed them and saved all the people. The Doctor didn't swear off ever wiping anyone's memory for any reason ever again last week.

Like, I'm sure he'd still do it in a Doctor Donna situation.

Boem

I hope the comparisons with The Ark weren't planned, because that serial is fucking terrible.

Oh yeah there are some very nasty racist undertones there as well. But it's been referenced before - the Doctor plays with some Monoid puppets in Matt Smith's regeneration story.

And hey Talons of Weng-Chian still gets referenced all the time (even on Sherlock) and praised as one of the best stories, so I guess they are fine ignoring some of the casual racist undertones in some of those old stories.

In the Ark's defense, it did have one of the best cliffhangers of the entire classic series. That statue reveal was pretty amazing for that era. And given that they call out The Ark on the website, I'm guessing it was intentional.

I don't mind them referencing crappy stories though. Destiny of the Daleks is trash but it's fun to see them use the Movellans for something like this - it works as a nice bit of worldbuilding while being a funny reference at the same time. Hell, one of the earliest more obscure Classic Who references was the one to the Sensorites in that Tennant Ood episode. All of the main writers have had an outspoken enthusiasm to do small, obscure references to the dodgier parts of the past where possible. It's a bit of an injoke at this point.

Mariolee

Fantastic episode that ended fairly poorly. As many have mentioned before, the fact that the human race now has to live with another "species" that can murder them without a thought in the world is a huge imbalance in the power dynamic.

zeemumu

What I'm getting from the entirety of Doctor Who is that people never learned to properly build robots that didn't have glaring murder glitches in them.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
What I'm getting from the entirety of Doctor Who is that people never learned to properly build robots that didn't have glaring murder glitches in them.

Stands to reason. If you are on the testing team and the robot murders you, then filling in a bug report will be the last thing on your mind.

SeanC

An overall well done, solid episode with some highlights and an ending that feels like it was a result of the story being written into a corner. But that's kind of Doctor Who for the most part. At least we had some good performances and an overall solid story with a ton of tense moments that I loved. Also loved the art direction, felt really probable considering the emoji thing could have been totally stupid.

Sometimes Doctor Who stories can get up their own ass, but this one, mostly, stayed consistent and solid and didn't try to do too much.

zeemumu

Stands to reason. If you are on the testing team and the robot murders you, then filling in a bug report will be the last thing on your mind.

Yeah but I would've thought that someone would've gotten the hang of it over the course of the entirety of time, especially when the bugs come down to obvious stuff like being able to tell the difference between species.

I don't know why but I really didn't like the civilians in this episode. I feel like it had something to do with attempting to shoot nanomachines that make up the entirety of the building that you're standing in.

I really liked the epsiode, found it very solid, and was awesome to see my city featured in an episode of Doctor Who.

Ive travelled most of the corridors that the doctor and bill go through this episode, so that was fun seeing the changes they did to them (like adding blinking lights, that was a nice touch).

They've left most of it unaltered, so people outside may thing is super futuristic to them, but everything there was rpetty normal for me lol
Most of the altering shots where from when you see the whole city from the rice fields (for example adding two Palaces of Arts).

This is how it looks in real life, if anyone is interested:
This is if you want to visit it though the new google earth (only works in chrome)
https://earth.google.com/web/@39.45431702,-0.35037575,42.27493837a,667.21350641d,35y,-5.71720987h,67.42134888t,0r

mclem

Oh, come now, that easily extends far beyond Doctor Who into huge swathes of science fiction.

Bonus points, of course, if the murder glitches result in murders that are in some way inherently ironic.

The newest episode made me realize you could just have Capaldi's Doctor and Bill stuck in a plain room for an entire episode, but I'd still really enjoy it due to how well they play off each other. I wasn't expecting to love Bill so much, her energy is great, and Mackie's line delivery is really natural with some great timing. The Twelfth Doctor was already one of my favorite incarnations of the good Doc, but I think Bill is now easily one of my favorite companions. It feels very bittersweet we'll only have a season of them together, as I'm really enjoying their dynamic. I found the Nardole/Doctor banter surprisingly amusing this episode, too.

Funniest line of the episode, Capaldi's delivery was amazing: "I met an emperor made of algae once. He fancied me."

M.Bluth

Pleasantly surprised by the episode, I wouldn't say it's great by any means, but considering I hated In the Forest of the Night, this one was I'd say a solid episode. Nothing special in terms of plot, but fun just to watch the Doctor and Bill playing off each other, some great character work.

Also, Nardole wasn't in this very much, but I think he's starting to grow on me, him and the Doctor are very fun to watch with each other.

Sums up how I felt about it perfectly.

I like Bill a lot. Looking forward to her "companion-heavy" episode

As part of my occasional stroll through modern Doctor Who... by Christ, if The Doctor's Daughter isn't the biggest pile of old guff the new series has put out I don't know what is. Every regular puts in their worst performances in their roles, Moffett's appallingly bad, the dialogue is atrocious, the direction is rubbish, the plot makes absolutely no sense, the Hath are the worst aliens the new series has put on screen, Donna's made a mathematical genius for absolutely no good reason, the laser corridor sequence is a failure from start to finish, A FISH DROWNS, series 4's terrible straw-pacifism reaches its most annoying point, the "MAN WHO NEVER WOULD!" speech is probably the single nadir of the new series... it's horrendous, from top to bottom.

The first two episodes have had rather standard formula plots-- the scary thing that you can't get away from, and the place when if you don't avoid some specific behavior, you die.

But that's great, frankly, because they were well done and the characters are great.

The Pilot's consolidated ratings are in- 6.68 million, which makes it the 10th most watched programme of the week.

Kinda puts the show within the context of Britain's changing televisual landscape- Partners in Crime was also the tenth most watched programme of the week when it debuted, despite getting two and a half million extra viewers.

VAD

I watched the two episodes in a row and I found Bill fantastic. She's just here to learn and the Doctor is just here to show her the universe. I find this simplicity very welcome after years of overaching arcs and other Moffatisms. It feels like she is a new Donna.
Doctor Who is back and it wasn't too soon!

The Pilot's consolidated ratings are in- 6.68 million, which makes it the 10th most watched programme of the week.

Kinda puts the show within the context of Britain's changing televisual landscape- Partners in Crime was also the tenth most watched programme of the week when it debuted, despite getting two and a half million extra viewers.
Also worth saying that the overnights for Smile were half a million higher than The Witches Familiar, despite the move away from live television

The Pilot was also third for the week on the BBC, behind Line of Duty and Peter Kay's Car Share. It's the first time the show has been in the top 10 of the weekly chart since Listen, discounting Christmas specials.

That's pretty mad for a drama that's been on for over a decade, let's be honest. It's not as big as it was, but that's true for everything that isn't Britain's Got Talent or big, short-term, Broadchurch-style dramas.

Yeah, that's actually rather better than I was fearing. I was imagining something consolidating to the mid-to-late 5s.
Even that would be a pretty solid, sustainable hit nowadays- remember, the BBC's target for a successful Doctor Who relaunch 12 years ago was 6 million on consolidated figures, and given the TV climate that we have today you'd be able to chop a million or two off that before you're in any real trouble.

Top Bottom