• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TumbleSeed |OT| A Friend in Need is a Seed Indeed

Just noticed this game is out. Any Switch impressions? Not that I have time for it due to MK8 and PPT, but might pick up later.

J@hranimo

Banned
Alright got this on the Switch and played it for a hour.

The game is really cool, but also really hard. That's par for the course with roguelike games though. The artstyle looks nice and the music is relaxing and somewhat immersive.

The HD Rumble is pretty impressive. I guess this is exactly how that ball count game felt in 1,2 Switch. You can feel the seed moving back in forth in your hands, which is crazy how sensitive it is! The faster you tilt and roll, the quicker the vibration travels from one joycon to another.

So far I'm really liking it and would love to put more time into it. Check it out GAF, if you like roguelike games with a unique spin, then I feel it'll be a good buy :)

Patch13

Just noticed this game is out. Any Switch impressions? Not that I have time for it due to MK8 and PPT, but might pick up later.

It's lovely to look at, and it is nicely designed.

It is *very* difficult. I'm having an easy time fitting it in between Mario Kart and Puyo Puyo Tetris because I find myself needing a break from it every few rounds :)

(The difficulty is a mix of execution difficulty -- you're controlling a rolly little ball and it is inherently difficult to make it go where you want, and stay where you want -- and mean designer difficulty -- in any given position on the screen, there are at least three things that you urgently need to worry about, and I often end up dying because I'm focused on two of the things, and forget about the other thing that is going to kill me ...)

taoofjord

Playing this on Switch and it's great! Fun, challenging, and very pretty. I love how skill based the movement is. And it feels good too. I was thinking it might not click with me, but nope, very enjoyable! Also, this is the most impressive use of HD rumble in my opinion.

Highly recommend picking it up on Switch for the rumble and portability.

Edit: Also, MAJOR bonus points for allowing us to customize the analog stick's deadzone. I wish all games did this.

watershed

Banned
I'm interested in TumbleSeed but I don't have time for a new game right now. I think this game was released at a bad time. Every Switch owner is playing Mario Kart right now. I think it's gonna get ignored, on the Switch at least.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
"All this Mario Kart online salt is bad for my health. I should play TumbleSeed instead."

Lmao

Cerium

I'm interested in TumbleSeed but I don't have time for a new game right now. I think this game was released at a bad time. Every Switch owner is playing Mario Kart right now. I think it's gonna get ignored, on the Switch at least.

Actually, I'm playing a lot more Puyo Puyo Tetris right now than Mario Kart. But the same problem applies.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This game is incredible. Had no idea what it was until I read the eurogamer review. Out of no where.

taoofjord

Yeah, absolutely loving this. It's obviously very challenging, but in the best way. I get into an almost meditative state while playing it. Like the Souls games, a lot of the challenge comes from your state of mind, in that you have to be patient and aware. If you rush or get sloppy it's over immediately. It's so fucking good. Really dig the inclusion of daily challenges too. Great work devs!

One more thing, the music is great. Reminds me a little of the Iceland band Mum. Especially the main menu music.

Argh, this game is hard but not the bullshit kind of hard. The kind that forces you to take your time.

You need patience. The minute you rush, you'll be falling down a hole.

I appreciate the planning that goes into choosing which seed you want to use.

Really great game. Frustrating as well but I can't stop playing.

Patch13

Is it really too difficult ?

I wouldn't say that it's *too* difficult. It's similar to Super Hexagon or Crypt of the Necrodancer -- when you first start playing, everything seems hopeless and overwhelming. But if you stick with it, you begin to see that there is a path to survival. Things are just beginning to click a little for me, and I can see a future, a few weeks (or months) down the line, where the early levels feel pretty easy. :)

Alphahawk

What's the length like? Like I mean, I know it takes practice but is there any idea how long a good run takes? Are we talking like 30 mins or 2 hours?

Great game, beautiful visuals and the music is very fitting, aesthetics and presentation in general remind me a lot of Sound Shapes.

Game is very, very difficult, and a little frustrating, but after about an hour of play I found myself getting much better. The addition of your seed abilities really helps a lot, gives you some tools to play with. Ultimately though, I think most of the difficulty comes from the gameplay being so different to how most games control. Not having direct control of the seed, and using the sticks in tandem like that is something I don't do often in games, and my brain is having to relearn everything to wrap my head around the game. But it's definitely a game where your skills will build over time, seems way more skill-based than many roguelikes, the random elements are honestly secondary to your ability to control the seed. If you can master controlling the seed, I'm sure the game really opens up.

Wozman23

Played for around an hour, and I'll echo the "It's difficult" comments. Difficult, but fair. I struggled to even get to the second zone, only reaching there once.

I'm not normally a fan of roguelike games, but I often step outside my comfort zone for bold art styles like this. I can't wait to put in some more time and hopefully get better.

I really like the variety of power up, although I've got a lot to learn about efficient use of them. I definitely need to concentrate more on checkpoints.

aeiowu

Neo Member
What's the length like? Like I mean, I know it takes practice but is there any idea how long a good run takes? Are we talking like 30 mins or 2 hours?

Hey, I'm one of the devs on the game. A typical run can last anywhere from under 10minutes (pro speed run) to 30-45minutes. You can go as slow as you want, but usually ~30m is common for a summit run.

Also to everyone else! Happy to answer any more questions that might pop up or discuss strats haha. Your kind comments in this thread has filled me with hope that our little game just might find its audience after all. <3

Hey, I'm one of the devs on the game. A typical run can last anywhere from under 10minutes (pro speed run) to 30-45minutes. You can go as slow as you want, but usually ~30m is common for a summit run.

Also to everyone else! Happy to answer any more questions that might pop up or discuss strats haha. Your kind comments in this thread has filled me with hope that our little game just might find its audience after all. <3

Got the game as soon as I awoke today. Great job on it.

Did you ever end up looking into getting similar haptic feedback to the Switch working on the PC version with the Steam Controller? Just curious.

Robin64

This game is so haaaard. But not really. What I mean is, as soon as I get confident and speed up a little, I die. That's on me, that's my fault there. (But also, it's so hard)

ggx2ac

This game is definitely hard but the gameplay is better than I expected.

I couldn't understand the gameplay of the game from just watching the trailer.

jariw

Great! Might just pick up the Switch version and get the Steam one in a bundle some day.

And make sure to play it with the joycons. The impact of the HD rumble is much larger with the joycons than with the Pro Controller in this game.

Played for about 30 minutes on Switch. Game is fun. Game is hard. HD rumble has moments of brilliance but then they turn the dial up to 11 and sucks.

Need to stop playing MK8D.

jariw

Played for about 30 minutes on Switch. Game is fun. Game is hard. HD rumble has moments of brilliance but then they turn the dial up to 11 and sucks.

Need to stop playing MK8D.

FWIW, you can lower the HD rumble level in the game. It seems like it's on the max setting.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I like it but I'm not sure about the death mechanism - can you get one-shot even if you're on full hearts? Can't work out why sometimes I just die

And for hearts, does the heart seed just fill up missing hearts or can it expand how many you have from the default 3?

Felensis

Banned

Great job! Got the game the minute it went live on EU eShop. Had a blast with it yesterday on the commute back home as well as in the late evening. Boy this game is hard (to learn), but during my time with it (~1 1/2 hour) I already managed to get to the second zone, but only to get shot in an instant by some flying bastard :D

I'm already addicted to it. It's this "Just one more try" thing of game. The art, music and the HD Rumble are amazing!

I like it but I'm not sure about the death mechanism - can you get one-shot even if you're on full hearts? Can't work out why sometimes I just die

And for hearts, does the heart seed just fill up missing hearts or can it expand how many you have from the default 3?

I think someone mentioned that if you fall from higher up the mountain, you'll lose more than 1 heart.

As for hearts, yea you can expand them.

I'm currently in a run where I have 5 hearts and just finished the first level.

Edit: and just like that, dead lol. Those enemies that chase you in the 2nd level really make you anxious and fuck up my way of thinking.

I bought it on Switch since I wanted to try the HD Rumble. It was also 2 AUD (IIRC) cheaper than the PS4 version. I also guess the screen being in the hands would work better with the control scheme psychologically.

I don't normally like the idea of a game being difficult to control as part of the intended challenge, not that I know for sure it was part of the intended design. It will take some getting used to, which is fine.

There was a huge hole above a flag. Upon losing a heart, the seed was flying above (surrounded by) that huge hole. But it fell in the hole as soon as I 'collected' it. Good to know that happens now! :)

Cyanity

Banned
Just bought this on a whim. I'm only 20 minutes in, but the control scheme has gripped me. Now I'm kinda regretting buying it right before having to leave for work...

edit - can't wait to check out the speedruns, those must be insane

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the daily run is a nice way to keep you dipping your toes in, and maybe do some proper runs at the same time.

Is it just me or is the load times in the beginning, when you boot it up on switch abnormally long? Like Zelda and Mario Kart bootup faster. Staring at the seed laoding for about a minute or so every bootup.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I love this game. I know Dark Souls comparisons are over used, but in this case totally warranted.

jariw

Is it just me or is the load times in the beginning, when you boot it up on switch abnormally long? Like Zelda and Mario Kart bootup faster. Staring at the seed laoding for about a minute or so every bootup.

I'm pretty sure the game uses some sort of middleware. My guess is it's Unity. The initial loading time will be longer due to that.

I think I ran into a glitch where parts of the seed UI didn't disappear after switching. In a game like this that's a life and death issue. Luckily I didn't make it very far anyway so it didn't impact me too much.

Felensis

Banned
I'm pretty sure the game uses some sort of middleware. My guess is it's Unity. The initial loading time will be longer due to that.

Yes, it's Unity as you can see at the end of the credits. What slightly bothers me is that the game always tries to connect to the leaderboard servers and prompts you about it at the boot up of the game and after each run. Especially annoying when you're on the go and therefore offline.

This game escalates rather quickly after the intro section. The tilt line isn't great aesthetically, but the controls are pretty neat. Dark Souls of wood labyrinth puzzles!

Top Bottom