• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Player's that don't use mics in MP centric games ruin them

Funnily enough, I find the people who are adamant about everyone using mics, or are way too obsessed with everyone communicating with each other, tend to be the types that rage online when people make a mistake or just don't play up to their standards.

Maybe if it didn't feel like for every decent person you meet online there are ten neckbeards being horrid in various ways people would want to talk online more. Sorry, OP. This ain't changing.

I agree, no mic, get the fuck out of team based ranked games. You ruin it for the people who actually would like to win the game. Looking at you rainbow six siege players. "He's behind you... Behind you, he's... BEHIND Y.. *one friendly remaining* Jesus Christ go play Halo"

Edit: sometimes I don't use a mic, I'm being sarcastic... But kinda not..

Well, if they're the same rank as you, doesn't that mean they're as good without a mic as you are with a mic?

JZA

I like to play Battlefield (BF4, BFH, and BF1), and I'm a fan of their commo rose system, seems to strike a good balance between precise mic communication and a completely mute squad.

That being said, in any multiplayer game, I always start with my mic on but with my earpiece off my head so I can just monitor the channel a bit, and if it sounds like people are actually communicating and playing the objective, I follow suit. Sometimes, if I hear no one communicating, I'll say something like "This is (my gamertag), trying to communicate helpful info." Oftentimes, someone else will also throw their mic on. I haven't yet been trolled once doing this, and even if someone starts talking smack that's what the mute button is for.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
This is a serious issue with Xbox Live in general. I remember back in the day (2006-2010 or so) that most everyone had a mic and actually communicated. I met a bunch of cool folks, most are still my friends on XBL. Not sure what changed :(

With that said, a lot of people were straight up jerks on XBL and unfortunately seemed to outnumber the people who were just looking to have fun. Maybe people got tired of the toxic nature of human buttholes.

I edited, was being somewhat sarcastic but at the same time.. why the hell would you play a "team" based shooter ranked and not use a mic? How do you communicate properly to gain the upper hand? Sign language?

I like playing ranked (specifically in Siege) for many reasons.

1. Because people don't just quit as soon as you lose the first round
2. The knowledge and skills level is generally higher and more enjoyable
3. I like earning the season charm for it

As I mentioned earlier in the thread some of us are in a position where we either cannot use a mic or don't want to. I still find the experience to be pleasant even if the coordination isn't as high as it is when I play with friends.

Again I'm sorry if it hurts your experience but it's unreasonable to tell people to just quit.

If I'm playing in competitive, I'll test the waters and give a "hello" at the beginning of a match.

If one mother fucker, JUST ONE MOTHER FUCKER, starts thinking they're funny? I'm out of the voice chat for the match and reporting them instantly. If we lose, it's their fault that they wanted to be an asshole for no reason.

I don't have time to deal with morons on the internet. Toxicity in online gaming is a behavioral problem that absolutely 0 developers or publishers even want to acknowledge, let alone tackle.

Quick play is for you. Don't muck around in competitive.

I will never understand the mindset of, "I just want to have fun in the video game, but that means making the experience of everyone I'm playing with absolutely miserable because I'M SO PUCKISHLY RASCALISH!"

You sound like a very angry person, it's sad if you're miserable because people don't play the way you want.

I only use mics when playing with my friends. Every other time I just mute everybody so I do not have to listen to my teammates. I do not dick around and I have enough awareness to still work well in a team. I only do this with social and quick play type games and not competitive.

Gestault

I can't hear you over the sound of children explaining why non-whites can't help being inferior, and why the gays will go extinct thanks to natural selection. Also, why someone sounds like they're black and also gay. Don't worry, they think they're one of the "good ones," so long as they don't try to fuck them or steal their stuff.

Experience has given me reason to despise the gaming community at large. I will mute that trash until I'm given a reason not to. My team can rot if it means soiling my home with that vile speech. And no, it's in no sense an isolated issue.

The last time I used a mic was in 2010 playing Bad Company 2 and Red Dead Redemption. Ever since, even playing in the competitive playlists in COD or whatever game, I've always turned my mic off and muted everyone.

Don't know what changed, I used to use my mic daily when I played Star Wars: Battlefront II and SOCOM on the PS2.

I hope the new Star Wars Battlefront II omits in-game VOIP like the 2015 game. Better for everyone that way.

jviggy43

If I enter a game and somebody is disruptive on the mic, I mute them.

If I enter a game and somebody is helpful and/or enjoyable on the mic, I work with them and probably send them a friend request.

Entering games in party chat takes both opportunities and choices away from me. Also, we cannot communicate with our team, regardless of how pleasurable it might be.

Party chart is great when you have a full team, but suffers with each person you have that's less than a full team.

See this is exactly what I'm saying. If it isn't working, mute them and youre fine and back to square one for all you anti social people out there. If it is, then youve just helped your chances of success.

Additionally, like I pointed out in the original post, if its going to come down to "I'm going to do what I want", then were essentially saying that no one should complain when someone is intentionally throwing the game or playing in a disruptive manner since the underlying reason is, "I do what I want". Not that I have an issue with it coming down to that, because it is interesting thinking about the individual player vs team gameplay, but in essence that argument would be problematic given how we view trolling and throwing vs non communication and such a view would essentially support players that intentionally ruin the game for others.

Kind of dumb to say considering some people cant talk

Ok I mean, obviously I am not including this group into the argument come now.

Guys.

Every match is not filled with 10 year olds throwing a fit, yeesh.

If you don't want to use a mic then just say so without making up a strawman.

A good 80% of the comp games in Overwatch I get into on a mic is totally friendly and fine. I add people I meet through match making all the time. When a get into one where people are being rude I mute them and stop using the mic. Doesn't mean I'm going to quit using a mic entirely.

Mesoian

I like playing ranked (specifically in Siege) for many reasons.

1. Because people don't just quit as soon as you lose the first round
2. The knowledge and skills level is generally higher and more enjoyable
3. I like earning the season charm for it

As I mentioned earlier in the thread some of us are in a position where we either cannot use a mic or don't want to. I still find the experience to be pleasant even if the coordination isn't as high as it is when I play with friends.

Again I'm sorry if it hurts your experience but it's unreasonable to tell people to just quit.

You sound like a very angry person, it's sad if you're miserable because people don't play the way you want.

Are you the kind of person who thinks doing thins "for the lulz" means everything is suddenly acceptable?

Because if so, I'll just add you to my block list now.

Guys.

Every match is not filled with 10 year olds throwing a fit, yeesh.

If you don't want to use a mic then just say so without making up a strawman.

A good 80% of the comp games in Overwatch I get into on a mic is totally friendly and fine. When a get into one where people are being rude I mute them and stop using the mic. Doesn't mean I'm going to quit entirely.

While true, you find your willingness to deal with pubbies lessens dramatically when you're trying to play during someone's racist diatribe. I don't blame anyone who doesn't want to interface with it out of principle.

ArjanN

I get complaints like that a lot when playing CS:GO without a mic and then the person bitching plays way worse than me.

*Neglected baby crying in the background*

antitrop

In my experience with Overwatch, the greatest difference between Diamond and Grandmaster rank is voice communication. Nobody forces you to talk, but if you're getting 4 Gold medals every game and still losing and complaining about your teammates, well...

I only use party chat with my friends or predetermined people for things like destiny raids. Game chat is too much of a mixed bag of really toxic or annoying randoms.

Jumped into a dying light game last night and was pleasantly surprised. I hadn't used a mic in a long time. 4th guy to join was from Saudi Arabia,and could barely speak English by his own admittance. As soon as I heard him say that I braced for hate speech. Everyone ended up super nice and helpful. I've been using my mic since then. Mostly I'm afraid of being annoying, but more than one match has been won from a simple "Yo that genji is getting behind us" even if no one else is using a mic.

People have become more sheltered and socially awkward due to party chats and social media. The days where everyone had a mic in the general chat is long over . Sad but thats this generation for ya .

This generation being?

Most older gamers are the ones in party chat playing with real friends and work colleagues.

Public chat is the place you'll find screaming kids.

Beckx

lol at the idea that six randos will suddenly form a competitive team because they have mics

you either know teamplay or you don't, mic ain't gonna help.

N30RYU

I also don't like talking. I can read and understand spoken english but since I'm not native and I'm not that good talking it in competitive I rather do a Bioshock and just obey orders.
And in not competitive games I just mute everyone that just annoys me.

Are you the kind of person who thinks doing thins "for the lulz" means everything is suddenly acceptable?

Because if so, I'll just add you to my block list now.

I'm not doing anything for lulz? I don't team kill or troll, I play the game as seriously as anyone but I also don't get worked up over things like who is or isn't using a mic. If I really care that much I'll organize a session with some friends at a time that works and party chat it up.

I just don't get the outright hostility over something that really isn't the end of the world.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Communication is key and I wish more people used their mics but it only takes one shitlord with an open mic to screw everything up. Luckily I only play multiplayer on PC so it's not as bad as that console experience I keep hearing about.

It's a dumb complaint anyway. Hypothetically if you're a worse player without a mic, you'll be ranked lower. Thus you get matched up appropriately based on rank regardless.

Assuming ranked matchmaking actually works of course.

Daingurse

Ya'll will just have to deal with it if you get in a random game with me :)

Best I'll give you is voice commands and text. I ain't talking on the mic, and I'll play any online game I please without one.

RulkezX

If you want to play at a high level you should absolutely play with a community or clan instead of playing pickup matches and expecting people to communicate like they're not a bunch of strangers that met like 1m ago.

I find my online experience actually improves if i don't have to listen to children with microphones. If I'm going to play seriously, i'll play with friends and we'll use mics. But strangers? I can't think of a better way to get me to dislike a game.

In a perfect world where no one is a screaming teen or getting angry, then yeah, voice chat would be great. The problem is most people don't use it in a constructive manner and do nothing but place the blame of everything on others.

The number one way to ruin a multiplayer game is to engage in voice chat. I have heard the n-word over voice chat more than in any other context in my life. I'll pass.

Screw you OP if think I'm ruining your game by not playing by your rules. Random voice chat is the worst.

yami4ct

Never will use a mic. My experiences have been too awful to be worth dealing with. It's one thing to have to mute a player every other match or so, but I find I have to mute 2-3 people every match in games. Just not worth the hassle. I don't want to talk with these people and never will.

what the fuck do I need a mic for there's no amount of discussion or bribery that is going to get you to get on the god damn payload

rav

I agree to a point:
Competitive and Casual modes.

I will not play CS:GO with text chat or voice chat in casual. But I agree it's needed in Competitive play. It's sad that people treat teammates so poorly this is the best default choice.

I once muted someone in CS:GO competitive play because they were screaming into their mic. I told them, and they did everything they could without getting kicked to harass me afterwards. Funny that I was still coaching the rest of my random teammates on how to improve, even though they wouldn't vote to kick him or his buddy.

Edit: I also have stopped playing competitive play for these reasons, and wish for more single player games to come back to the market.

I'd agree for competitive (ranked) play, but not for casual. I routinely jumping into Arcade or Quick Play in Overwatch without using a mic because I just want to play a round or two. I also find it enjoyable to see how well I can work with my teammates non-verbally.

As stated above, I wouldn't have the same outlook if I was trying to play competitively.

If you want to play at a high level you should absolutely play with a community or clan instead of playing pickup matches and expecting people to communicate like they're not a bunch of strangers that met like 1m ago.

This is all I'm trying to say. Expecting a bunch of randoms from all over the world with different gaming setups and lifestyles to play exactly how you want is not a reasonable expectation. If you are that competitive then its on you to create the proper situation for yourself to have fun.

jviggy43

In my experience with Overwatch, the greatest difference between Diamond and Grandmaster rank is voice communication. Nobody forces you to talk, but if you're getting 4 Gold medals every game and still losing and complaining about your teammates, well...

As someone who has been ranked master at the very least over the last 3 seasons, this. Diamond is the bane of existence in OW because almost all of those players could make it further and have the skill to do so but lack the communication and teamwork to get there.

Arrrammis

For competitive, heavily team-based games like Overwatch or Friday the 13th? Sure, mic is a must-have if you want to seriously play the game.

For online games where teamwork isn't as important as individual skill like Titanfall, Battlefied, Call of Duty, etc.? Not really, there's not too many callouts that your entire team needs to hear so the voice chat is either for rage, chatting with friends, or people who accidentally leave their mic unmuted (Go take care of your child Joe!).

Not everyone speaks the same language and a lot of people are uncomfortable speaking in a different language, so no, fuck that opinion. Those peopel shouldn't be excluded for competitive play just because they don't speak the language and you shouldnt think less of them for not speaking.

Top Bottom