• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb Thread 2: A thread on a popular internet message board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think PSN does get ignored to some degree but I'm not sure whether it has everything to do with their preferences. I mean they didn't even play Joe Danger. On the other hand games like Closure hardly even get interest on a large site of hardcore gamers like Gaf. Its hard to know whether they are just covering stuff people want to see or whether them not giving coverage is shaping their audiences opinions. I took the time to actually play the demo for closure and it was not interesting to me.

They have quicklooks on the site of both Joe Danger, and Joe Danger: The Special Edition.

Patryn

Wow, we're hitting all the highlights in this thread. First the hate for specific members and transitioning right into the anti-Sony bias! Wonder what comes up next? The choice of game genres for TNT?

obonicus

What? Are you being serious?

Not serious that I care about what Jeff wears, but serious that some people are very offended by a certain hockey jersey. And by people I mean the person I replied to.

As to the always-dumb bias discussion: Ryan the huge corporate apologist that he is can't stop shitting on the 360's UI. Vinny plays multiplats on PS3. Jeff is biased towards the C64. So that leaves Bradley 'Will I won't I pay $400 to maybe salvage my 360 savegames' Shoemaker. J'accuse, Mr. Shoemaker.

ultron87

Wow, we're hitting all the highlights in this thread. First the hate for specific members and transitioning right into the anti-Sony bias! Wonder what comes up next? The choice of game genres for TNT?

I've heard that Brad doesn't play games well.

I hate their bias towards multiplayer games on the TNT. Their choices of genres is like rape to me.

Zomba13

Vinny has a kid and now the GB thread is having it's ''best' of' moment.

see5harp

I hate their bias towards multiplayer games on the TNT. Their choices of genres is like rape to me.

That's another reason they tend to play 360 games. It's just much much easier to send invites and manage friendlists. I didn't watch the twisted metal TNT but I heard rumblings that it went less than smooth.

Edit: I guess I don't feel as if I need to defend their preferences because there are a ton of reasons why someone in the press would prefer the platform. It's much easier to copy and move saves/profiles around from work to home. If there is an awesome exclusive on PSN or PS3, they tend to cover it.

Not serious that I care about what Jeff wears, but serious that some people are very offended by a certain hockey jersey. And by people I mean the person I replied to.

As to the always-dumb bias discussion: Ryan the huge corporate apologist that he is can't stop shitting on the 360's UI. Vinny plays multiplats on PS3. Jeff is biased towards the C64. So that leaves Bradley 'Will I won't I pay $400 to maybe salvage my 360 savegames' Shoemaker. J'accuse, Mr. Shoemaker.

Not that it matters but, I think Vinny plays most of his multiplatform games on PC, whenever possible, lately.

DaBuddaDa

Not that it matters but, I think Vinny plays most of his multiplatform games on PC, whenever possible, lately.

Brad has also talked about embracing the HDMI out port.

Edit: also, lol at Vinny playing 57.8 hours of Deus Ex: Human Revolution over the past two weeks. Little infants sleep all the time so I'm glad he's getting lots of gaming time in; in a year or two there won't be much of that left.

Brad has also talked about embracing the HDMI out port.

Edit: also, lol at Vinny playing 57.8 hours of Deus Ex: Human Revolution over the past two weeks. Little infants sleep all the time so I'm glad he's getting lots of gaming time in; in a year or two there won't be much of that left.

YES YES YES YES YES YES.

I want Vinny to storm into the office next week, punch Brad in the face and shout "WE'RE DOING GOTY AGAIN, GET IN THE FUCKING PODCAST ROOM"

I would argue DE:HR ends worse than ME3.

The ending itself isn't as bad, but DE:HR has an AWFUL last level, whereas ME3 just has an awful last cutscene.

I'll never play that last level of HR again. Terribleee.

I would argue DE:HR ends worse than ME3.

The ending itself isn't as bad, but DE:HR has an AWFUL last level, whereas ME3 just has an awful last cutscene.

I'll never play that last level of HR again. Terribleee.

My post from a ME3 thread.

Everything involving London was bad.

-Red phone Boxes, the type that went away in the 1980's.
-All the new buildings look just like the ones from every other planet in ME.
-The importance of Earth (and a capital city) in an intergalactic war.
-Spamming power enemies for 30 minutes.
-No civilians.
-Anderson sounding like he had Alzheimer's when out of nowhere he said
"I was born here you know?"
-James Bond tagging along out of the blue.

The boss fights were a much bigger offender than the ending. Jeff liked the ending, he didn't seem to like the way the game handled the shooting.

Eh, that's fair. I went mostly non-lethal stealth so I can't say I noticed that much. And the bosses do suck but they felt like such an anomaly it's hard for me to even consider them as that huge a flaw (especially after you upgrade Typhoon and start shitting all over them).

Anyway, I think Vinny will be pleased.

That's fine, I just think people overestimate all over ME3, the last couple of hours are the easiest to pick apart, but as you said no point keeping this discussion going.

I think you can pick it apart, but I don't feel the need to. It was an enjoyable ride! Most things I could overlook (or didn't notice at the time) because I was having a lot of fun.

Eh, that's fair. I went mostly non-lethal stealth so I can't say I noticed that much. And the bosses do suck but they felt like such an anomaly it's hard for me to even consider them as that huge a flaw (especially after you upgrade Typhoon and start shitting all over them).

Anyway, I think Vinny will be pleased.

Silenced pistol and sniper rifle are all you need. I can't imagine playing DE any other way than stealthy.

When shit did hit the fan I thought the combat was decent, though.

I'm watching the PAX panel at the moment and Jeff is knocking it out of the park with his jokes. Half an hour in and I can't say Alex has annoyed me much, either.

Duffyside

Banned
Might as well call the entire video game industry biased toward the Xbox 360 too then, considering that's the console they send review copies out for 9 times out of 10.

... Ok? I... I THINK I can do that. Let me try; The entire video game industry is biased towards XBox 360. ... Wow, that was easier than I thought.

Wait wait, hold up, just to be clear; NOT places like ps3trophiessssss dawt org, or Nintendo Power, or iwaggle. But everyone else.

Yes, I'm being serious. One of Microsoft's best strategies this generation is getting so much press support, both from smart moves like making the 360 easier to develop for (therefore leading to most review copies going out for 360), and coming out earlier, therefore building an ecosystem earlier than Sony, to shitty XBox Live.

Beyond the constant cry of "b-b-but most review copies come out on 360!" we have also heard "more of my friends are on 360! That's why I'm there!" Of course, most of their friends are also in the industry, if not press themselves.

So while Joe Smith may say "man, I'm not paying 50 bucks a year for online, I'm getting a PS3" and a community has developed there, it hasn't for the press or the industry. They have to have an XBox, they have to have Gold, and so does everyone else in the press. Because 360 came out first, they got involved earlier, and have had no real reason to switch, as the arguments that apply to the consumers as to why they should pick one console over another don't apply to them.

Nert

This applies more to the podcast threads, but we could once again have people complain for months that they don't spend enough time with the Souls games, even though they talked about them more than almost anything else last year. Also, only Vinny, Rorie, and Patrick seem to like them, so we can't stop talking about them until Jeff and Ryan like them as well.

obonicus

Jeff sometimes does that, it's kind of weird. Like he'll enjoy a game, but he'll kind of go 'but there are all these flaws that will probably impact someone's enjoyment of the game' and it'll affect his score. You saw some of that in Alpha Protocol or maybe even Fallout New Vegas. It's almost the polar opposite of Brad, who'll overlook a game's flaws if he's having enough fun.

I can appreciate why he does it; Jeff has always come out on the side of game review as product review (as opposed to critique), and so saying 'Alpha Protocol is great*' without adding a bunch of caveats about the stuff that isn't so great wouldn't really work as a buying guide. Still, I think that that approach is counterproductive to the 'personality-driven' concept they have for the site. He did mention a change to reviews in that John Davison video, so maybe this'll shift.

* Which may not actually be Jeff's opinion.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think you can pick it apart, but I don't feel the need to. It was an enjoyable ride! Most things I could overlook (or didn't notice at the time) because I was having a lot of fun.

Silenced pistol and sniper rifle are all you need. I can't imagine playing DE any other way than stealthy.

As well as being able to hack robots and turrets.

Too bad focusing on those ensure that the boss fights are dogshit though.

Duffyside

Banned
So being phony is better than being an asshole? That is, if it's even phony to realize that just because you dislike something doesn't mean that it should be changed to suit your whims.[/b]

I think I said "I hate being a phony more than being an asshole," so no, the opposite of what you think I said. And no where did I say that I think this is the rule of the land, just my own personal preference.

And please with this whole "just because you dislike something" nonsense. There is a lot of dislike for Patrick (not me) and Alex, it's not just one person. Seriously, what a lame argument. It's not like there's just one or two people who seem bothered by them. Hah, I just imagine you defending a guy with .005 batting average on your favorite team when someone says "man, I wish they could trade him for Alex Rodriguez" and you whimper back "j-j-just because you don't like him doesn't mean..." Blech.

It's not a crazy idea to think that someone else might be a better fit.

obonicus

I think I said "I hate being a phony more than being an asshole," so no, the opposite of what you think I said. And no where did I say that I think this is the rule of the land, just my own personal preference.

Actually, I phrased it wrong. I think your conclusion is absurd. No one gives a fuck if you're a phony. People do very much give a fuck if you're an asshole to other people.

And please with this whole "just because you dislike something" nonsense. There is a lot of dislike for Patrick (not me) and Alex, it's not just one person. Seriously, what a lame argument. It's not like there's just one or two people who seem bothered by them.

Who said it was just you? The point is exactly that, that because you and a bunch of loudmouths agree, you think that that entitles you as a stakeholder in the running of GB, so you think you have a say. Worse, you often confuse 'loudest' for 'majority'. Talk about lame arguments. I mean, the counterargument is the always-brilliant 'geesh, you can't criticize anything around here', which is a complete misread of the real hidden message, which is: 'there's nothing clever or especially critical about being an asshole, and don't be surprised when you get called out for it'.

Hah, I just imagine you defending a guy with .005 batting average on your favorite team when someone says "man, I wish they could trade him for Alex Rodriguez" and you whimper back "j-j-just because you don't like him doesn't mean..." Blech.

What the hell are you talking about? You seem to be trying to set up a strawman, and are failing spectacularly. You're confusing subjective measurements with objective ones. How does someone having statistically terrible performance correlate with you and others not liking Alex?

It's not a crazy idea to think that someone else might be a better fit.

It is a crazy idea to think that anyone asked you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom