• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Bethesda owns S.T.A.L.K.E.R. IP (UPDATE: doesn't seem to be true)

spirity

Yes, because Bethesda makes bad games that are not at all commercially and critically well received. Jesus, people, can you at least check whether your agenda-pushing claims have any ground in, you know, reality before posting them?

You get used to it, and you're guaranteed to see the same few people doing it in every Bethesda thread, with assorted flotsum and jetsum popping in to throw out a few one liners. Rpg's get a lot of shit, and although I feel the Skyrims and ME3's aren't up to the standard of the Fallout 3's and ME1's, rpg's are at least being made. I'm thankful for that. I'd rather they be than not be at all.

Anyway. Stalker is great, Bethesda is great. It's not a match made in heaven, but if the alternative was to mean no Stalker anymore, then I'm more than happy to see Bethesda give it life. Assuming that these rumors are true of course.

Corto

They had no issues quickly debunking the Doom 4 canceled rumor. I find it perplexing Bethesda won't deny any other rumor if it's untrue\unfounded.

That rumor was about a Zenimax owned IP. They had to debunk it as it would be more directly damaging for their property.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Even if Zenimax own the IP this don't mean that Bethesda will be the studio who make the new Stalker, Zenimax own many other studios and they hire other external studios for their IPs too.

Scipius

Well, that would have been worrying news if it had been true; I really don't see how Bethesda could have done STALKER justice.

I'm much more interested in a STALKER-like MMO-FPS like Survarium than I would be in a "mainstream" STALKER 2.

Odrion

Banned
This thread is weird

No Stalker 2 - Booo
Bethesda to make Stalker 2 - Boo
Nvm Bethesda not making Stalker 2 - Yaaaay
There just won't be a Stalker 2 - Boooo
I'd rather wait ten years for the studio to finally make Stalker 2 than for Bethesda to own the license forever.

NBtoaster

I like cities over deserts too but Obsidian did much more with their world then Bethesda did. Bethesda has 0 writing and storytelling capabilities and they're becoming worse with each game when it comes to making actual RPGs. It's getting to the point where their games are nothing more than exploring a large world, with the point of exploring it being yanked away with egregious loot scaling.

Fallout 3 had essentially no loot scaling.

MGHA

HOPES.BAT.png

Lothars

I like cities over deserts too but Obsidian did much more with their world then Bethesda did. Bethesda has 0 writing and storytelling capabilities and they're becoming worse with each game when it comes to making actual RPGs. It's getting to the point where their games are nothing more than exploring a large world, with the point of exploring it being yanked away with egregious loot scaling.
I know your an Obsidian fanboy but I definitely don't think your giving Bethesda any credit for what they did because Fallout 3 had a way better world from the immersion of the random encounters or the interesting locations that are not on the map, it felt more immersive especially compared to NV, I also don't remember Fallout 3 having Loot Scaling but maybe it did, I would like to see Obsidian get another crack at Fallout but with Bethesda doing the world.

Fjordson

Yeah, I think Fallout 3 was actually a nice continuation of the series. Bethesda did a pretty good job of capturing the spirit of the universe.

I like New Vegas more because I think there were a lot more interesting characters than 3 and I enjoyed the story more, but I can't take too much away from FO 3.

But even if this rumour is true, it's hard for me to imagine Bethesda Game Studios developing this. Maybe Zenimax will put some other studio on it, but BGS doesn't seem like the right fit when they already have Fallout.

Top Bottom