• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Witcher 3' devs "don't believe in selling extra content"

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They offered a Steam version of Witcher 2 day 1. Or is it only hardcore DRM when it's on consoles?

I was about to say that I'm surprised CDPR didn't make The Witcher and The Witcher 2 DRM-free on Steam, but then I realised this would significantly impact the point of purchasing the games from or "backing up" one's Steam copies on GOG.

CDPR delivering since day one. Best dev out there in terms of ... well, all around awesomeness.

Huge, on-the-disc-no-bullshit RPG. Yep. Love it.

Durante

I still can't fathom that some people would lambast CDPR for releasing their game on XB1.
They offer a real DRM-free copy of their AAA title on day one. No other company does this.

I still can't fathom that some people would lambast CDPR for releasing their game on XB1.
They offer a real DRM-free copy of their AAA title on day one. No other company does this.
Many people saw it as some sort of betrayal of their DRM-free stance?
Whatever it was
(I thought the whole "WTF CDPR sold out, etc." was just silly)
, it was unrealistic to expect that somehow CDPR would ignore XB1.
I want to see as many people play TW3 and I'm glad that it's coming to PC/PS4/XB1

FACE

Banned
Many people saw it as some sort of betrayal of their DRM-free stance?
Whatever it was
(I thought the whole "WTF CDPR sold out, etc." was just silly)
, it was unrealistic to expect that somehow CDPR would ignore XB1.
I want to see as many people play TW3 and I'm glad that it's coming to PC/PS4/XB1

I don't think those folks were worried that CDPR was "selling out", if you know what I mean.

Omikaru

That's how I see it. CDPR support people who do not like DRM by making the game available on PC via GOG.com. They do not need to exclude DRM platforms for those who do not mind DRM; they just understand that DRM-free is important for some of their customers.

As for the topic at hand, sounds like CDPR to me. Love these guys. You know when you get one of their games, it's going to be the full package, and anything that was cut was not up to the mark, not carved off to be sold later. That's the best way to make me pay full price for a game instead of waiting for it to drop to under £18, as I do for most games. Definitely day 1 with this on PC.

Soviet

Banned
That's how I see it. CDPR support people who do not like DRM by making the game available on PC via GOG.com. They do not need to exclude DRM platforms for those who do not mind DRM; they just understand that DRM-free is important for some of their customers.

As for the topic at hand, sounds like CDPR to me. Love these guys. You know when you get one of their games, it's going to be the full package, and anything that was cut was not up to the mark, not carved off to be sold later. That's the best way to make me pay full price for a game instead of waiting for it to drop to under £18, as I do for most games. Definitely day 1 with this on PC.

Exactly. They deserve to be supported for this.

dummydecoy

I don't believe in playing sequels without having played the prequels, CDProyect, so how about releasing W1 & 2 as well on consoles? I promise I'll buy it!

Soviet

Banned
What other developer have other influx of income besides selling their games?

Epic. Unreal.
Valve. Steam.

If every developer had a store front, maybe they can afford to do this.

GOG.com is nothing compared to Epic or Steam. They made $875k in Q1 2013.

Kyaw

All this Witcher 3 press means almost nothing because their principles has been the same since Witcher 1.
Just show us a gameplay demo already!

What other developer have other influx of income besides selling their games?

Epic. Unreal.
Valve. Steam.

If every developer had a store front, maybe they can afford to do this.

Developers might not have other sources of income, but every publisher on PC has a store for selling their catalogue. If they wanted to go DRM free they could. Also they mandate that all games sold through GOG are DRM free too, so even their other source of income is tied to that philosophy.

Credit where it's due.

GOG.com is nothing compared to Epic or Steam. The made $875k in Q1 2013.

This is still income that other developers don't have at hand.

I don't have an issue with them not selling extra content, but i don't believe that every developer have the luxury to actually gamble on this.

Technically TW2 did not actually release drm free day 1, which I still think is a source of confusion for people. Physical versions had securerom or some bullshit like that, but it got patched out ASAP. Honestly I think it was an experiment for them, and left a bad taste in their mouth, so I don't think it will happen again. The DRM made their actual product worse, and there were still day 1 torrents... Why other publishers/developers are not able to come the same conclusion just boggles the mind. Big thumbs up to these guys though, I will be buying their stuff for the foreseeable future!

Durante

Technically TW2 did not actually release drm free day 1
I'm quite certain that I got my DRM-free copy from gog.com on day 1.

I believe the physical version had DRM due to agreements with the distributor, and CDPR were actually sued when they removed it.

Technically TW2 did not actually release drm free day 1, which I still think is a source of confusion for people. Physical versions had securerom or some bullshit like that, but it got patched out ASAP. Honestly I think it was an experiment for them, and left a bad taste in their mouth, so I don't think it will happen again. The DRM made their actual product worse, and there were still day 1 torrents... Who other publishers/developers are not able to come the same conclusion just boggles the mind. Big thumbs up to these guys though, I will be buying their stuff for the foreseeable future!

The DD version from gog was DRM free and was available Day 1

Kinyou

The only thing that got me worried about Witcher 3 is that console users might not get the inevitable Enhanced edition update for free.

I'm quite certain that I got my DRM-free copy from gog.com on day 1.

I believe the physical version had DRM due to agreements with the distributor, and CDPR were actually sued when they removed it.

I concede that there was a DRM free option, but there was also a DRM'd option, which does seem to confuse people about their stance on the matter... I think it's worth noting that they have tried it, and very quickly came to the obvious conclusion that DRM like securerom is negative and anti-consumer. This is a huge win for logic and reason in pc gaming, and has really endeared CDPR to me.

Their stance on DLC is just further icing on the cake. Especially since their games support multiple playthroughs, it's really cool to revisit a year later and take the other path/choices with all the upgrades.

The lawsuit was more about euro publishing rights for the x360 version than DRM if I recall, and I think they ended up losing it and having to give 360 rights to namco. The drm removal patch just got tossed in their with it, not sure if it affected the outcome/damages at all. If it did that would be a disappointing precedent.

I concede that there was a DRM free option, but there was also a DRM'd option, which does seem to confuse people about their stance on the matter... I think it's worth noting that they have tried it, and very quickly came to the obvious conclusion that DRM like securerom is negative and anti-consumer. This is a huge win for logic and reason in pc gaming, and has really endeared CDPR to me.

Their stance on DLC is just further icing on the cake. Especially since their games support multiple playthroughs, it's really cool to revisit a year later and take the other path/choices with all the upgrades.

The lawsuit was more about euro publishing rights for the x360 version than DRM if I recall, and I think they ended up losing it and having to give 360 rights to namco. The drm removal patch just got tossed in their with it, not sure if it affected the outcome/damages at all. If it did that would be a disappointing precedent.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/namco-bandai-files-suit-against-the-witcher-2-deve/1100-3460/

Namco Bandai added the Securom DRM. Although it wasn't the subject of the lawsuit, they did claim that it was a breach of contract by CDPR to release a patch which removed it. Any claim that they were testing the waters to see how the DRM would fly are ridiculous.

Top Bottom