• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED |OT| The Master Thief Collection

Osahi

Just started playing UC1 again, and have to admit....I'm enjoying this way more than I thought I would. Game starts to click again and it looks lush...really good job by Bluepoint. Voice acting after all these years still makes me giggle and is still awesome

This. Played for three hours straight allready. Faces and animations aren't as nice as in 2 and 3, but boy is this still a looker. The colors are so much more lively then I remember.

Just a shame photo mode doesn't work while aiming (and on some seemingly arbitrary moments) though...

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
This. Played for three hours straight allready. Faces and animations aren't as nice as in 2 and 3, but boy is this still a looker. The colors are so much more lively then I remember.

Just a shame photo mode doesn't work while aiming (and on some seemingly arbitrary moments) though...

Isn't that fixed with the patch?

Wish they had reworked all the games to support 3D tv's.
Not sure how many people ever played UC3 in 3D... but to date, it's the best 3D game experience I've had.
I know 3D was/is a novelty... but that doesn't stop me from wishing these remasters supported it.

The
chateau
burning, and the
airplane
sequence... were absolutely incredible.

Bandit1

Awesome title, awesome OT, great work! I'm glad these games got remastered, I played them all on PS3, will be glad to do it again on PS4.

dealer-

Just started playing UC1 again, and have to admit....I'm enjoying this way more than I thought I would. Game starts to click again and it looks lush...really good job by Bluepoint. Voice acting after all these years still makes me giggle and is still awesome

Yup, half way through Drake's Fortune on Crushing and loving it again. Seems easier than I remember but probably due to knowing enemy patterns etc. Don't think I'll try Brutal though.

Roo

Wish they had reworked all the games to support 3D tv's.
Not sure how many people ever played UC3 in 3D... but to date, it's the best 3D game experience I've had.
I know 3D was/is a novelty... but that doesn't stop me from wishing these remasters supported it.

The
chatuea
burning, and the
airplane
sequence... were absolutely incredible.

I remember reading 3D increases the game size a lot. Like.. twice the actual game's size.
Not sure if it's true or not but if it's indeed then I see why they ditched it alongside multiplayer

Philippo

The title i expected it to have, still a 10/10

Gonna play the series for the very first time, i know i'm in for a great ride.

DUN DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN DUUUUUUUN DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUN

iNvid02

heh i like it good job.

now to see if these games have aged like a good pair of denims or a rotting corpse, cant be in between. jeans or death stank gotta be one

Yup, half way through Drake's Fortune on Crushing and loving it again. Seems easier than I remember but probably due to knowing enemy patterns etc. Don't think I'll try Brutal though.

Feels easier than I remember indeed. Playing on hard now, but it is a bit too easy I guess. Dunno if you can change the difficulty midgame though. Anyway...it's a blast to play and I can't stop. So, back on it :)

Shady859

Really nice work on OT

I am zero point zero hype for this as i'm sick of remakes but for anyone who hasn't played the series this is a must play. I'm sure it will be beautiful on PS4 but no desire to play them again. Sucks they left out MP though as that alone could've tempted people like me to give it a try. I do need to pick up a cheap beta key for UC4 along the way though.

Makikou

I'll read it!

I'm really looking forward to hearing impressions from first-time players of all three games, especially how Uncharted 3 stacks up when divorced from its original context and with fixed controls right out of the box.

Well here i go with the first one:

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

So i have never watched a single gameplay sequence of Uncharted, i've never played a single Uncharted game. I knew nothing about the game, characters, gameplay or story.
Here are my first thoughts during the 61% of the game..

Story:
The beginning was so interested until the first enemy encounter on the boat. I found it quite jarring and this will continue be a theme so far in the game. I think the pacing is quite a ways off in the game. Both in the story side and the balance of amount/length of shooting vs. platforming/climbing places.

Also.. is there a story other than "Treasure! Let's go! Oh no bad guys! Follow the trail of bad guys!" ? I hope they can improve on this a lot when i get to Uncharted 2 / 3.
It's also very conflicting that it's so light hearted and yet you have to kill so much people. Just.. it's weird as hell, man. But then again, loads of people get killed in eg. The Expendables 2 and i just brush it off like it's nothing so..

Shooting:
It's boring. Worse than Order 1886. The 9mm pistol seems to have much more killing potential than the AK-47 which is kinda silly too. M4 is a lot better than the AK but atleast for now, i haven't seen it appear too much.

Graphics & Atmosphere:
Being the first Uncharted game and early in the life of PS3, it looks relatively good for it's age. Everything is very flat though and it really kills the atmosphere. Flat colours, flat textures, flat everything. Doesn't surprise me though and i wasn't expecting a looker here so i'm okay with it.

So um.. also you have these collectibles called Treasures which are basically just names and icons on a list. Why not make them actually unique and maybe have some "lore" or historical facts on them like in the Tomb Raider reboot? Now the only incentive to collect them seems to be art/skins/trophies.

Which brings me to trophies btw. Utter trash! What is this, get kills with each weapon. Headshots, speedruns, collect bazillion treasures.. Ehh. :(

Will probably finish Drake's Fortune tomorrow and look forward to Uncharted 2 during weekend/next week. I wish they could pad out the story and lore a bit more.

EDIT: So far i'd give the game a 7+. It's not in the area of 7½ or 8- yet. Hopefully it'll tense up a bit more.

EDIT 2: Music in the game is just completely meh in my opinion. There hasn't been a piece yet that would grab my attention and i've been just sloughing it forward. Almost tempted to put Spotify on but that wouldn't be fair for the game!

Revven

I still don't understand the pre-order bonus skins. Why do I need Nathan Drake skins for the main character, Nathan Drake? Does it let you play as any of the default skins in any of the games? Like I can play UC1 as Drake from UC3?

That's what's implied but the pre-order bonus stuff is really just early unlocks. The skins can be unlocked in the game without pre-ordering whatsoever.

dealer-

Shooting:
It's boring. Worse than Order 1886. The 9mm pistol seems to have much more killing potential than the AK-47 which is kinda silly too. M4 is a lot better than the AK but atleast for now, i haven't seen it appear too much.

What difficulty are you playing on? If its hard or below then its more fun to hipfire to soften up enemies and melee to finish them off. Its more satisfying in these games to always keep on the move and mix it up rather than just play it as a straight cover shooter.

Loudninja

Seeing ads for this everywhere online.

What difficulty are you playing on? If its hard or below then its more fun to hipfire to soften up enemies and melee to finish them off. Its more satisfying in these games to always keep on the move and mix it up rather than just play it as a straight cover shooter.
Agreed, what makes it so good for me is the situations they throw you in with the gunplay.

Grisby

Was gonna hold off on this since there is no MP (wwwhyyyyy...probably because UC3 is free anyways on PS3, but the sting of no UC2 co-op!) but man,I just need to play UC2 again. It has been way too long, and photo mode should be awesome.

Plus, Chloe needs some support.

Makikou

I'm playing on Normal. I can't really hit a broadside of the barn with the hipfire. Also i tried doing the melee stuff for the trophies and i just can't get it. It's a bit too easy to get into a crossfire and killed so fast.

hawk2025

Was gonna hold off on this since there is no MP (wwwhyyyyy...probably because UC3 is free anyways on PS3, but the sting of no UC2 co-op!) but man,I just need to play UC2 again. It has been way too long, and photo mode should be awesome.

Plus, Chloe needs some support.

You mean Olga.

Well here i go with the first one:

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

So i have never watched a single gameplay sequence of Uncharted, i've never played a single Uncharted game. I knew nothing about the game, characters, gameplay or story.
Here are my first thoughts during the 61% of the game..

Story:
The beginning was so interested until the first enemy encounter on the boat. I found it quite jarring and this will continue be a theme so far in the game. I think the pacing is quite a ways off in the game. Both in the story side and the balance of amount/length of shooting vs. platforming/climbing places.

Also.. is there a story other than "Treasure! Let's go! Oh no bad guys! Follow the trail of bad guys!" ? I hope they can improve on this a lot when i get to Uncharted 2 / 3.
It's also very conflicting that it's so light hearted and yet you have to kill so much people. Just.. it's weird as hell, man. But then again, loads of people get killed in eg. The Expendables 2 and i just brush it off like it's nothing so..

Shooting:

Graphics & Atmosphere:
Being the first Uncharted game and early in the life of PS3, it looks relatively good for it's age. Everything is very flat though and it really kills the atmosphere. Flat colours, flat textures, flat everything. Doesn't surprise me though and i wasn't expecting a looker here so i'm okay with it.

So um.. also you have these collectibles called Treasures which are basically just names and icons on a list. Why not make them actually unique and maybe have some "lore" or historical facts on them like in the Tomb Raider reboot? Now the only incentive to collect them seems to be art/skins/trophies.

Which brings me to trophies btw. Utter trash! What is this, get kills with each weapon. Headshots, speedruns, collect bazillion treasures.. Ehh. :(

Will probably finish Drake's Fortune tomorrow and look forward to Uncharted 2 during weekend/next week. I wish they could pad out the story and lore a bit more.

EDIT: So far i'd give the game a 7+. It's not in the area of 7½ or 8- yet. Hopefully it'll tense up a bit more.

EDIT 2: Music in the game is just completely meh in my opinion. There hasn't been a piece yet that would grab my attention and i've been just sloughing it forward. Almost tempted to put Spotify on but that wouldn't be fair for the game!

Just wait until you get to Uncharted 2 and 3. The jump from Drake's Fortune to Uncharted 2 felt like a generational leap at the time. I can't wait to play the trilogy again, but It's with the understanding that Drake's Fortune is a 7/10 game and Uncharted 2 and 3 are both 9 or even 10/10 games (IMO of course).

cyba89

Playing Uncharted for the first time right now. I am at chapter 10. It's still quite a looker for such an old game and the 60fps feel great. The characters are good and so are the setpieces.

But oh boy, why is there so much shooting? The game desperatly needs some quiet parts, because there are waves of enemies literally everywhere. Doesn't help that you sometimes spawn at checkpoints where the enemy is right in front of you. The shooting gameplay is also nothing really special. You can just headshot everyone with the pistol even over great distances.
Also Jumping and climbing doesn't feel so good sometimes.

I hope these problems get fixed in the second game.

malfcn

Nice OT, and clever title.
I've only ever played the first one. Some how I also own 2 or 3. Maybe when this hits cheap I'll dive in again.

Loudninja

Playing Uncharted for the first time right now. I am at chapter 10. It's still quite a looker for such an old game and the 60fps feel great. The characters are good and so are the setpieces.

But oh boy, why is there so much shooting? The game desperatly needs some quiet parts, because there are waves of enemies literally everywhere. Doesn't help that you sometimes spawn at checkpoints where the enemy is right in front of you. The shooting gameplay is also nothing really special. You can just headshot everyone with the pistol even over great distances.
Also Jumping and climbing doesn't feel so good sometimes.

I hope these problems get fixed in the second game.
The game is a third person shooter.

hawk2025

I dunno, I get his point.

And the sequels do feel much more varied, immersive, and emergent on the way shootouts and areas playout. The first game does have a much greater tinge of "shooter arenas" than the sequels did, by a very wide margin IMO.

dealer-

Seeing ads for this everywhere online.

Agreed, what makes it so good for me is the situations they throw you in with the gunplay.

Yeah, there are a lot more options availble to you here than in something like The Order.

I'm playing on Normal. I can't really hit a broadside of the barn with the hipfire. Also i tried doing the melee stuff for the trophies and i just can't get it. It's a bit too easy to get into a crossfire and killed so fast.

If you just melee that will happen as it can take five hits to take them out but with a couple of hipfire shots first you can just land one knockout blow.

Amazing OT. Cant wait for those that are new to series to enjoy it. Had a great time on these on PS3. Ill probably pick it up later down the line since im going to be broke by December with all the new games coming up.

Loudninja

I dunno, I get his point.

And the sequels do feel much more varied, immersive, and emergent on the way shootouts and areas playout. The first game does have a much greater tinge of "shooter arenas" than the sequels did, by a very wide margin IMO.
Eh UC2 and UC3 is still mostly shooting.

That is what I am saying.

cyba89

Even then it does not a very good job. There are 3rd person shooters with way better pacing and shooting mechanics.

I have the say the movement feels good. Was sceptical after playing the short demo, but when you get into it it works.

Replicant

Yeah, shooting in 1 is still the worst part of the game. It's unavoidable and the waves upon waves of enemies are just annoying. I forgot that you can't stealth it completely like in 3. It's especially frustrating when you made it to wave 2 and then die and get returned to wave 1.

I'll never get these complaints about too much shooting.
It's a shooter.
Do people complain about too much shooting in Gears of War or Max Payne or whatever?
At least Uncharted breaks it up with traversal sections and puzzles.
It's like that ridiculous mass-murderer argument, it happens in so many games but people only seem to remember it when playing Uncharted.
Christ.

Oh my god, I didn't realise you need to find 40 treasures to unlock the Elena skin in Uncharted 1.
Well... I can still make it on my current playthrough, but I will need a guide.

Makikou

Even then it does not a very good job. There are 3rd person shooters with way better pacing and shooting mechanics.

I have the say the movement feels good. Was sceptical after playing the short demo, but when you get into it it works.

I agree, the movement is pretty good even in Drake's Fortune. I wonder if it'll get better in UC2/UC3 with going into cover and out of it. Sometimes Drake refuses to go into the cover when i push circle!

Digitalrelic: Yeah i'm excited for Uncharted 2 still. I really like the premise of the series and i was aware that i shouldn't wait as much from the first Uncharted.

And yes! F*** the enemy waves in Drake's Fortune. So annoying!

Top Bottom