• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raist

Banned
What? Sansa put herself in that prison, she's not a victim of circumstance. She had a preview of what Joffrey was like during that incident with Arya and the butcher's son. She should have listened to her father and went back home. She was so incredibly selfish and obsessed with becoming an eventual Queen that she was willing to screw her family over in the process. She's a victim now because Joffrey now sees her as an object and she isn't treated as well by the Lannisters as before.That doesn't change the fact that she's the one that pushed to be with Joffrey in the first place. Her naivety is what put her in this prison. Arya saw right through that douche's facade. No one put her in this situation but herself. The sacrifice people are talking about is when she had a chance to grab Joffrey and throw the two of them off that high ledge in Season 1.

There's nothing irrational about hate for Sansa. She's a selfish bitch that trampled her family's wishes and now she sleeps in the bed she made. Of course she is coming off kinder now, not only did they kill her father, but the Lannisters are treating her like shit. Everything didn't turn out the way she thought and only after getting screwed out of her fantasy land does she show any form of compassion. It's only due to circumstance which is evidenced by how she treated her 'hand maiden', Shae.

Exactly how I feel about her. The fact that she's suffering now doesn't redeem what she did in any way.

JGS

Banned
I'm not saying the two are connected. I think that there was a lot of expectation on a princess to know the reality of the world she was a part of. I think like most spoiled kids she didn't expect her life to change too drastically and she took for granted what she had. Actually the whole Stark family did that. Arya, Ned, Theon, Jon, etc...

They were outsiders and none of them knew how the games were played. I would say that she was the one that had to learn the quickest because of her predicament. To me, it's realization and not just magically learning how to be duplicitious so that she can go back to being a spoiled brat.

Vodh

Sansa's feelings and attitude towards Joffrey between the scenes where he tried to beat the butcher's boy and got bitten by Arya's wolf and the scene where he killed her daddy were a reason enough to make her a not very likeable character and a disappointment of a Stark.

Tho since she started pretending to be faithful and just trying to survive in the King's Landing every now and then I'm getting some brief glimpse of actual cunning from her, she's not nearly as unbearable as previously.

And getting pissed off at Shae was kind of a natural thing to do. She cant unwind in any way when she's not alone, and when she comes back to her chamber for the night only to find someone who obviously has no idea what she's doing instead of the expected peaceful illusion of still being in control if only over her personal servants I can't blame her for getting angry. And it's not like she beat her or was meanninglessly cruel, she just shouted at her.

You're just proving my point... it's the perception that counts, regardless on where the bearer believes is the source of their power. (You're also forgetting Robb, whose power comes from people that literally thrust it upon him; he was not seeking it originally)

Look at the post that I originally replied to... he was adamant that Stannis was in the right, and Renly was in the wrong (which we know is entirely inaccurate).

But it's not all perception. Dany's dragons are real, they are not a perception. They can be her path to power in reality regardless of anyone's perception. Same is true for Melisandre, as we saw in this episode. Her supernatural powers are not perception either, they're real.
Littlefinger's knowledge is also real.

Vodh

But it's not all perception. Dany's dragons are real, they are not a perception. They can be her path to power in reality regardless of anyone's perception. Same is true for Melisandre, as we saw in this episode. Her supernatural powers are not perception either, they're real.

Unless they use their real power to make things happen and bend people to their will, it's meanningless. It's the point, they're all playing the game of thrones and all of them have different tools and different approach, it's not about who's right, it's about who can make the others wrong (as in, dead or powerless).

Amir0x

Banned
it's funny thinking how much you guys hate Sansa given how they softened her character.

I think she's fairly sympathetic, just a naive stupid little girl who had no clue precisely how fucked up the game of thrones was. Her father certainly didn't figure it out; Sansa was infinitely more clueless than he was.

Here we are back with Varys' riddle (or hopefully close enough to it):

A swordsman stands in front of a king, a priest and a rich man, with each person demanding the swordsman to kill the other two. Who lives and who dies?

Or to put it in current GoT terms:

A swordsman stands in front of 3 dragons, an army of 100k, the rightful successor to the throne and the person actually on the throne. Who lives and who dies?

The "swordsman" is figurative and doesn't necessarily have to represent an actual person or people. You're saying "oh this is real" and "oh that is real too", but who are you asking this question to? The swordsman. And the "swordsman" is going to put his/her/its strength behind the entity with the most perceived power... and as we've seen, the definition of "power" is in the eyes of the beholder.

My point in all this is saying that giving more weight to any one entity at this time is foolhardy, since we don't know who holds the real power yet (ie, who will win in the end). Just enjoy the ride.

Kinyou

I feel like this second season is really starting slow. Maybe it's because there are so many parallel stories to tell. For example does it kind of bug me that we didn't see Snow a single time in this episode, or in the episode before nothing of Joffrey. Also the tiny bits of Daenerys aren't really enough for me (she's basically been sitting in the desert for 4 episodes). I guess I'd be happier if there were episodes that solely focused on one of those story arcs (though that would have it negative sides as well).

Subitai

What? Sansa put herself in that prison, she's not a victim of circumstance. She had a preview of what Joffrey was like during that incident with Arya and the butcher's son. She should have listened to her father and went back home. She was so incredibly selfish and obsessed with becoming an eventual Queen that she was willing to screw her family over in the process. She's a victim now because Joffrey now sees her as an object and she isn't treated as well by the Lannisters as before.That doesn't change the fact that she's the one that pushed to be with Joffrey in the first place. Her naivety is what put her in this prison. Arya saw right through that douche's facade. No one put her in this situation but herself. The sacrifice people are talking about is when she had a chance to grab Joffrey and throw the two of them off that high ledge in Season 1.

There's nothing irrational about hate for Sansa. She's a selfish bitch that trampled her family's wishes and now she sleeps in the bed she made. Of course she is coming off kinder now, not only did they kill her father, but the Lannisters are treating her like shit. Everything didn't turn out the way she thought and only after getting screwed out of her fantasy land does she show any form of compassion. It's only due to circumstance which is evidenced by how she treated her 'hand maiden', Shae.
If you like Arya, then you should like Sansa too, as they're closer to the same product of their parents than people recognize. Sansa's desire is to be the epitome of a lady as much as Arya wants to be the ultimate warrior.

There is one thing Sansa sucks for doing, and that is not backing Arya with the truth in front of Robert.

However after the incident where she lost Lady, Cersei made sure that Joffery started acting reformed. It would have taken more work, but Arya could have been deceived too if confronted directly and consistently with Joffery's period of dishonest charm and contrition. If we're talking about seeing what's there and not what we want to see, Sansa was the one who was direct in pointing out the striking failure of a king that Robert had become, which Ned and Arya had difficulty seeing in separation from his grand exploits in battle. Anyway, since the Joffery Sansa was dealing with wasn't the one that everyone else knew, of course she had no logical reason to want to go back home. How could King's Landing be dangerous when your father is the Hand and your boyfriend is heir to the throne? She wasn't being anymore naive than her father in the face of Lannister deception, but no one hates Ned for being naive. Also, Arya was acting just as spoiled and selfish demanding they take Syrio with them. What if he couldn't go? Bran was a cripple, Jon was at the wall, and Nymeria, her direwolf, was gone, so it isn't like there was a great time waiting Winterfell when she got back. And, Arya had shown more propensity for disobedience so who knows what she would have done to inadvertently endanger everyone to get her own way. In terms of "willing to screw her family", if you're referring to what she did in the books take it to the other thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466883&page=70 Going just by the show, all Sansa did when confronted by Cersei is write a note to Robb and beg mercy for Ned's treachery in front the court. If you were told that would save your father's life and send to him to be with your uncle and half brother, I'm sure you'd take it. Also it was Robert's idea to for the marriage. And, as far as the sacrifice goes, I'm convinced she was going to kill Joffery whatever the consequences. The Hound stepped in, so the blame there rests with him.

Ya, she is hopelessly lost in her dreams, but only as long as she feels she is in the safe aegis of her families power. Her mother, father, and the people who have surrounded her telling her stories of romance as she's grown up refuse to show her the cold realities of the world, and in a way things really aren't different for Arya. Arya just likes the stories of female warriors instead of female nobles. Once her father is in a dungeon and his men are all killed, she is thrown into a shocking reality. Maybe if Cat had allowed Ned to do more stuff like possibly take her with Arya and Bran to the execution at the beginning you could say she should have been able to get her head out of the clouds, and have a better sense of peril when Ned tells them to leave.

Zeliard

I really enjoy this show, but I feel like some of the characters leading armies are rather unmemorable.

It's the problem with a one hour show that has to devote time to such a huge cast. Various characters will tend to get a short shrift as they try to fit everyone in.

Zeliard

I read somewhere that it's related to the budget. So probably a producer decision based on that.

Yeah, and people who like to complain about the "CGI budget" in the other thread would do well to realize how enormous the cast is, and that these have to be paid (well) along with all of the people working in the background.

Rome was canceled prematurely because its budget was too high to sustain. Don't think we want that happening here.

Is the 10 episode thing a producer decision or do HBO only want 10 episodes from them each year?
From what I've read, given the complexity of the project (cast size, number of locations, etc...), it takes them about 11 months to film and produce a 10 episode season. If they added episodes to a season, they would have to move to a longer gap in between seasons.

JGS

Banned
She's a young girl who was given the chance to be a princess. I don't know if it's fair to blame her for not seeing how fucked up things would get.
That's my view. In the first season, it seemed that all of the characters were twisted versions of the fairy tales (I don't see that in season 2 honestly. Everyone is as they are now- almost like season one was a prologue to the real stuff). Ned was the noble guy who would defeat evil, Sansa was a princess, Joffrey was Prince Charming.

They didn't even know they were wrong about themselves lol.
it's funny thinking how much you guys hate Sansa given how they softened her character.

I think she's fairly sympathetic, just a naive stupid little girl who had no clue precisely how fucked up the game of thrones was. Her father certainly didn't figure it out; Sansa was infinitely more clueless than he was.
They may have made her too evil too soon in the interest of story compression.

Like I said before, most of Starks kids are reflections of their parents and Arya & Sansa are the same with different interests (& circumstances now of course).

From what I've read, given the complexity of the project (cast size, number of locations, etc...), it takes them about 11 months to film and produce a 10 episode season. If they added episodes to a season, they would have to move to a longer gap in between seasons.

To add to Cornballer's point, remember that HBO's business model is by subscription, not advertisements. Adding episodes to a season for a standard network means more ad space to sell, whereas HBO does not have the same luxury.

Zeliard

They didn't even know they were wrong about themselves lol.They may have made her too evil too soon in the interest of story compression.

Like I said before, most of Starks kids are reflections of their parents and Arya & Sansa are the same with different interests (& circumstances now of course).

Evil? I think that's going a bit too far. :p

I never got nearly as bad an impression of Sansa as some of you guys seem to. As others have said, she's just supremely naive, and that naivety was largely understandable. Now she's demonstrating that she's learned how to play the game a bit better. Much like Arya, in a short time she's been forced to grow up immensely to deal with the circumstances she's found herself in.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
To add to Cornballer's point, remember that HBO's business model is by subscription, not advertisements. Adding episodes to a season for a standard network means more ad space to sell, whereas HBO does not have the same luxury.

I wonder if they could ever do an accompanying internet distribution model where people pay per episode so that more episodes would result in more money. It might be hard to work to ensure that it's profitable, though.

TheYanger

It means people don't cancel for another month. At this point in the popularity of the show it should have the sway to actually do that for many people.

spirity

They haven't softened her character, they've smothered it. There's a difference. You're not being shown any development other than her sussing out the only way to get through it is to feign loyalty. The only thing you've got to go on is her behavior prior to Joffrey getting his claws into her. She was an arse before. Joffrey being a dick to her doesn't mean she's going to change. She could of course, but.. why? She's not learning anything, other than how to treat bruises.

And I'm not so sure 'hate' is the correct term. I don't think people hate her, they just think she's.. Sansa.

Here we are back with Varys' riddle (or hopefully close enough to it):

A swordsman stands in front of a king, a priest and a rich man, with each person demanding the swordsman to kill the other two. Who lives and who dies?

Or to put it in current GoT terms:

A swordsman stands in front of 3 dragons, an army of 100k, the rightful successor to the throne and the person actually on the throne. Who lives and who dies?

The "swordsman" is figurative and doesn't necessarily have to represent an actual person or people. You're saying "oh this is real" and "oh that is real too", but who are you asking this question to? The swordsman. And the "swordsman" is going to put his/her/its strength behind the entity with the most perceived power... and as we've seen, the definition of "power" is in the eyes of the beholder.

My point in all this is saying that giving more weight to any one entity at this time is foolhardy, since we don't know who holds the real power yet (ie, who will win in the end). Just enjoy the ride.

I'm saying that riddle is flawed. Built into that riddle is the presumption it is the sellsword who holds all the power and it's really up to him who lives and who dies.

But that scenario completely ignores the possibility that the King might be riding on the back of a Dragon, and the priest might have access to supernatural powers. In which case it's not up to the sellsword at all.

Varys riddle works in the locality of King's Landing, where he is discussing the nature of power with Tyrion. It's actually quite a limited view and does not encompass all that we know about their larger world.

If you like Arya, then you should like Sansa too, as they're closer to the same product of their parents than people recognize. Sansa's desire is to be the epitome of a lady as much as Arya wants to be the ultimate warrior.

There is one thing Sansa sucks for doing, and that is not backing Arya with the truth in front of Robert.

However after the incident where she lost Lady, Cersei made sure that Joffery started acting reformed. It would have taken more work, but Arya could have been deceived too if confronted directly and consistently with Joffery's period of dishonest charm and contrition. If we're talking about seeing what's there and not what we want to see, Sansa was the one who was direct in pointing out the striking failure of a king that Robert had become, which Ned and Arya had difficulty seeing in separation from his grand exploits in battle. Anyway, since the Joffery Sansa was dealing with wasn't the one that everyone else knew, of course she had no logical reason to want to go back home. How could King's Landing be dangerous when your father is the Hand and your boyfriend is heir to the throne? She wasn't being anymore naive than her father in the face of Lannister deception, but no one hates Ned for being naive. Also, Arya was acting just as spoiled and selfish demanding they take Syrio with them. What if he couldn't go? Bran was a cripple, Jon was at the wall, and Nymeria, her direwolf, was gone, so it isn't like there was a great time waiting Winterfell when she got back. And, Arya had shown more propensity for disobedience so who knows what she would have done to inadvertently endanger everyone to get her own way. In terms of "willing to screw her family", if you're referring to what she did in the books take it to the other thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=466883&page=70 Going just by the show, all Sansa did when confronted by Cersei is write a note to Robb and beg mercy for Ned's treachery in front the court. If you were told that would save your father's life and send to him to be with your uncle and half brother, I'm sure you'd take it. Also it was Robert's idea to for the marriage. And, as far as the sacrifice goes, I'm convinced she was going to kill Joffery whatever the consequences. The Hound stepped in, so the blame there rests with him.

Ya, she is hopelessly lost in her dreams, but only as long as she feels she is in the safe aegis of her families power. Her mother, father, and the people who have surrounded her telling her stories of romance as she's grown up refuse to show her the cold realities of the world, and in a way things really aren't different for Arya. Arya just likes the stories of female warriors instead of female nobles. Once her father is in a dungeon and his men are all killed, she is thrown into a shocking reality. Maybe if Cat had allowed Ned to do more stuff like possibly take her with Arya and Bran to the execution at the beginning you could say she should have been able to get her head out of the clouds, and have a better sense of peril when Ned tells them to leave.
I completely disagree, she's nothing like Arya and it makes absolutely no sense why you'd say if you like Arya, you should like Sansa. They couldn't be more different.

I don't think Arya would have fell for Joffrey in any form either, she looks at things in a completely different manner than Sansa. Then again, it's not really fair because Arya is younger and may not fancy boys at all yet. I still say she's a much better judge of character than Sansa and I don't think Joffrey would have pulled the wool over her eyes. Sansa pointed out Roberts ineptitude because all she could think about was her 'boyfriend' taking over sooner than later. Again, Sansa saw Joffrey's true character after the scene with the butcher's son. She chose to ignore it because being with Joffrey and all the status and power that will bring to her is more important than backing her sister up or accepting the reality of how Joffrey treats other people. At this point, she's either the most idiotic and poor judge of character, or a selfish bitch that cares more about herself than anything else.

That's what it ultimately amounts too, not just that she's naive, but rather that she's insanely selfish to the point where she harms her own family. Ned was naive, but at least he was altruistic and fought for others. So now we're going to compare a mischievous child who wanted her master to come back with them to a teenager choosing to be betrothed to a boy after his lies and tantrum caused the death of both an innocent boy and her own direwolf? Arya did cause mischief and has immature traits, she's a child after all. That said, she still knows what's right and wrong and fights for what she believes in. She would not cover for a scumbag as Sansa did and she wouldn't betray her family in the way Sansa did by not siding with Arya.

She could easily have jumped off the ledge with him before the Hound interfered. She hesitated and the Hound saw what she was thinking.

You can point to how the girls were raised and what they did and didn't see all you want but I still say no other Stark would have behaved the way Sansa did in her situation. Sansa is more selfish than the rest. I believe Arya's character would have allowed her to see what was going on and act differently were she in Sansa's shoes leading up to their father's death. Also, I am only going off the show as I have never read the books. If she did even more there than on the show, she's even more of a hopeless, selfish bitch.

JGS

Banned
Evil? I think that's going a bit too far. :p

I never got nearly as bad an impression of Sansa as some of you guys seem to. As others have said, she's just supremely naive, and that naivety was largely understandable. Now she's demonstrating that she's learned how to play the game a bit better. Much like Arya, in a short time she's been forced to grow up immensely to deal with the circumstances she's found herself in.
I'm definitely playing devil's advocate. Remembering how my sister acted in her teens, I didn't see much difference in Sansa which is why it wasn't surprising to me that she was very quickly able to come to her senses over it all. I don't think she's evil at all. My point was her bad side was the only side you saw for the first few episodes. Honestly, her reactions were heightened by the fact she lost her direwolf for Arya's [justifable] actions.

I think that Sansa & Arya both reflect the freedom to be princesses in Winterfell with one leaning more toward the boys which is kind of what the North is geared for. Sansa logically would want to escape to the wonders of the scity and have the affections of the future king. To me it made sense. As soon as Joffrey's true colors were shown, Sansa did what she could to protect her family (& her sister that no one knows the wherabouts of).

There is no reason for her to be as gracious as she is to everyone right now excpet that's in her nature to do once the spoiled teenager luxuries are gone.

Hmm... I think you don't quite understand yet. You're trying to interpret the riddle too literally.

I'm saying that riddle is flawed. Built into that riddle is the presumption it is the sellsword who holds all the power and it's really up to him who lives and who dies.

Could you expound what makes it flawed? Of course the sellsword holds the power... by themselves, the three individual men have no hold over the other two. What is the rich man to do.. bury the other two in gold? Is the religious man going to pray the other two to death? Can the king poke the other two with his crown?

The point is, each individual man has his own notions of what makes him great... but it's up to the sellsword to decide who is great.

But that scenario completely ignores the possibility that the King might be riding on the back of a Dragon, and the priest might have access to supernatural powers.

The problem here is that you're trying to quantify the different attributes against each other... in other words, "do dragons beat magic? Or does a person's birthright beat sheer numbers?" It's impossible to compare those forces to one another at this point in time, because they all have legitimacy.

As for:

In which case it's not up to the sellsword at all.

What is a king without respect? Or what is a dragon without food? What is a birthright without proof? Or what is an army without numbers?

The "sellsword" in this case is: respect... food... proof... numbers. Each faction needs something to attain legitimacy in this war. Each faction needs that edge to overcome their rivals. This is what I meant in my original post where I stated the "sellsword" is figurative, not literal.

Varys riddle works in the locality of King's Landing, where he is discussing the nature of power with Tyrion. It's actually quite a limited view and does not encompass all that we know about their larger world.

Varys' point of view does not matter, because the riddle is applicable regardless of the situation. Power resides in those who people perceive have power... it doesn't matter if you have dragons or countless men or magic... if no one believes in you, you are nothing.

Kinyou

But that scenario completely ignores the possibility that the King might be riding on the back of a Dragon, and the priest might have access to supernatural powers. In which case it's not up to the sellsword at all.

I think it's just an elaborate way of saying that only those who have the support of the people are the true rulers. Sure the King might burn everyone who opposes him but then what would be left to reign over? Same goes for the other ones. You can't force loyalty. You can only earn and it and (sometimes) buy it.

I wonder if they could ever do an accompanying internet distribution model where people pay per episode so that more episodes would result in more money. It might be hard to work to ensure that it's profitable, though.

Nope, even though that makes the most sense in the world. HBO brass is severely antiquated and has steadfastly refused to break away from their commitment to cable providers.

This article hints at the mindset that HBO folks have.

It means people don't cancel for another month. At this point in the popularity of the show it should have the sway to actually do that for many people.

Not entirely sure what you're saying here. GoT isn't the only popular show on HBO, you know that right?

Subitai

I find it hard to blame her for that when even Ned understood why she did it and even condoned it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYxo4ssBXZw#t=01m38s

Well thx. lol

Still, I think most people feel she was doing it to spite Arya for her role in messing up the ideal fantasy as opposed to just looking out for the future of her relationship. Especially since she still felt like she was in the bubble of safety and didn't realize the there would be consequences from Cersei until it was too late.

The problem for me in that instance was Sansa falling short of her own highest standards of romantic chivalry befitting of a lady that she was raised on by not doing the more just action. The mistake cost her the life of her direwolf, but more importantly gave Cersei a chance to send the message that she will not to be easily crossed or opposed in even relatively trivial matters.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Behold the adorableness

not_today_by_lundiva-d4v1njz.png

I wonder if we'll ever get to see Nymeria again :(

Is it just me, or is Petyr Baelish's hair different from almost every character on the show?

A bit. His entire appearance is slightly different.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Methinks you might be overanalyzing it a tad. You're trying to figure out objectively who has the most power in absolute quantities. However, the point to Varys' riddle is that it seeks to determine a subjective value: which single individual will garner the support of the rest of the realm when multiple individuals are competing for control?

The sellsword, who represents the people of the realm (the kingdom's subjects who without which there would be not much of a kingdom to rule over), will decide whom to lend his support to based on the subjective decision of whom he thinks has the most power. That perception can be derived from all kinds of things like the rightful laws of succession, strength of religion, wealth, etc., but in the end, it all boils down to whom the people of the realm would perceive to have the most power.

Speevy

Banned
Well I don't mind it. It just kind of throws you through a loop because most of the others are styled in your typical fantasy/old English attire.

Of course, the Dauthraki (sp?) look much different, as do several other characters.

I like his costumes as well. Given how much work and research has gone into the costumes, i think the "modern Shakespearean" look is deliberate, and completely makes sense for his character.

Cyan

Banned
I think Sansa is the one who verifies her Dad's treachery on the basis of it saving his life and preventing war with the North. Obviously she didn't think Joffrey was the little punk that he was, but by the finale of last seasn, that clearly changed.
But she didn't verify Ned's treachery. I mean, his "treachery" was right out in the open. There was nothing to tell.

I never actually read the policy that's quoted everywhere, good to know that in theory it should stop stuff like that. If we expect the book readers to stay away from commenting in this thread, then it's only fair that we should also show enough restraint to not need to ask a book reader about every little confusing thing (e.g. The Brotherhood). If we treat the books as non-existent, then there's nobody to ask about this stuff, so don't. Just wait and see.

I'm pretty sure the person asking about the The Brotherhood wasn't asking book readers. This is a complex show with a whole lot of characters and a lot of details; it's easy to miss something.

*blah blah*
I wish people wouldn't say stuff like this. :/ I know you're being as vague as possible, but I think I can guess what you're talking about.

Kinyou

Behold the adorableness

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2012/094/8/f/not_today_by_lundiva-d4v1njz.png[IMG]

I wonder if we'll ever get to see Nymeria again :([/QUOTE]
Was that the name of her wolf? Man, every time she is in trouble I hope that a giant wolf jumps somewhere out of the bushes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom