• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

kirblar

Why not pick the #3 hero who isn't an abusive rapist?

I guess the show is pretty dark, since it teaches people that taking a moral stand against anything is foolish if taking that moral stand could possibly maybe negatively effect you.
Todoroki's message struck me as a "Have privilege? Don't mope about it, leverage it to do good!" message.

Todoroki's message struck me as a "Have privilege? Don't mope about it, leverage it to do good!" message.

In this case "leverage" means not taking a moral stand against a rapist and child abuser.

He's the #2 hero. Who cares that he raped his wife? All about them ends justifying the means, except when the villains (like Stain) does it.

kirblar

In this case "leverage" means not taking a moral stand against a rapist and child abuser.

He's the #2 hero. Who cares that he raped his wife? All about them ends justifying the means, except when the villains (like Stain) does it.
We generally do not advise kids to take moral stands like that until they're old enough to function on their own, or unless it's an active issue w/ the parents actively hurting other people.

Todoroki's story is about power. He doesn't want to use it because he feels guilty about the source of it. The lesson is not to "not care" but not to choose inaction over that guilt- do something with it. Turn it into something that can make the world a better place instead of letting it sit there untapped.

NSESN

You didn't understand. It is not about Todoroki forgiving his father. But hime stop limiting his own potential because of Endeavor. If he wants to master his fire side, unfortunately there isn't a better person to teach him. Endeavor also being #2 also helps.
In the end the people wants to save are more important than whatever Endeavor did to him or his mother.

We generally do not advise kids to take moral stands like that until they're old enough to function on their own, or unless it's an active issue w/ the parents actively hurting other people.

Todoroki's story is about power. He doesn't want to use it because he feels guilty about the source of it. The lesson is not to "not care" but not to choose inaction over that guilt- do something with it. Turn it into something that can make the world a better place instead of letting it sit there untapped.

Sure. Using his power and growing stronger doesn't require him to work for his dad though.

There's no reason he couldn't have simply trained with the #3 hero.

Also it's a story about becoming a hero. The kids are being advised to take moral stands. That's part of being a hero and not a villain. Or I guess not. #StainWasRight

You didn't understand. It is not about Todoroki forgiving his father. But hime stop limiting his own potential because of Endeavor. If he wants to master his fire side, unfortunately there isn't a better person to teach him. Endeavor also being #2 also helps.
In the end the people wants to save are more important than whatever Endeavor did to him or his mother.

I never said Todoroki forgave him.

He just kind of shrugs and ignores every despicable thing that Endeavor did so that he can use Endeavor for personal gain. How's that any different than when say... actors shrug and ignore very serious sexual assault allegations against certain powerful people so as to not be blacklisted?

Where did it say that Endeavor raped his wife? He was clearly abusive, especially once Todoroki entered the picture, and that he never really loved her and only cared about her quirk but I don't recall this ever even being hinted at.

caliph95

Where did it say that Endeavor raped his wife? He was clearly abusive, especially once Todoroki entered the picture, and that he never really loved her and only cared about her quirk but I don't recall this ever even being hinted at.
It's an assumption on how she's been bought from her parents to pop babies and with Endeavour power and obsession he's probably not the kind to accept no

Jintor

i don't necessarily agree with cornburrito but he raises an interesting point. heavy to put the burden squarely on a 15-year-old's shoulders tho

Sure. Using his power and growing stronger doesn't require him to work for his dad though.

Also it's a story about becoming a hero. The kids are being advised to take moral stands. That's part of being a hero and not a villain. Or I guess not. #StainWasRight

He just kind of shrugs and ignores every despicable thing that Endeavor did so that he can use Endeavor for personal gain. How's that any different than when say... actors shrug and ignore very serious sexual assault allegations against certain powerful people so as to not be blacklisted?
Because he's a child, not a mandated reporter or something.
His home life isn't a simple solution for him.

NSESN

We don't even know if he got called by the #3 hero.

How an actor is the same thing as being a hero? If Todoroki ignores his power he is actually putting other lives in line.

Jintor

i always demand my child abuse victims stand up to their abusers

to be less snarky i think it's not as black and white for todoroki as you make it out to be

i always demand my child abuse victims stand up to their abusers

to be less snarky i think it's not as black and white for todoroki as you make it out to be

Given how poorly child abuse is handled in Japan, yeah I do think media should be a bit more responsible instead of basically pushing an "eh tough it out" message.

Jintor

i don't know if there's any excuse for child abuse and punching your wife a bunch full deets or not

you can make things perhaps more 'understandable' but not less fucked up

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
lol wtf

2017-10-1813_52_51-yohdymf.png

caliph95

It's always weird how, when people plagurize like this, they don't even bother to go for something obscure.
How long did he think this would go unnoticed, choosing an image from one of the most popular anime/manga properties in recent times?
Like that blatant Bleach and Jojo ripoffs

Top Bottom