• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

I'm saying that not only is that not said implicitly, but that they already have her EXPLICITLY state how she has "some sort of connection with some outside herself" -- through her exceptional imagination.

That's not true. Her exceptional imagination is what makes her great at her job, but that isn't her connection to the outside world. Her connection is giving replicants memories. And what better way to have that connection than sharing something personal? And I know that you can't see it, but her saying "there's always something of an artist in their work" is in fact her tipping her hand in that regard.

Her being great at her job has nothing to do with whether or not she'd want to share one of her personal memories. These things don't follow one another, not even in the slightest. It is entirely possible for her to be great at creating fake memories, but also want to connect in a real way, by sharing her personal experiences. I don't get how you can't even acknowledge that much.

At any rate, it happened. She did in fact at one point or another insert one of her personal memories (clearly adjusted though, because that's not her in the memory) into a shipment or whatever. And that's all there is to it. She doesn't even need a good reason to do it, really. It just happened, and why you consider this of all things a plothole, I'll never understand. Because really, this is the biggest non-issue ever, and easily explained away by any one reason.

Not really. The absurd coincidence of the same replicant with Stelline's memory being the one assigned to this case is only necessary for the unnecessary twist of "of course Ryan Gosling is the chosen one -- oh wait no he isn't!"

The unnecessary twist? Were you not paying attention? It's an integral part of his character arc - you know, one of the subjects of the movie that investigates one of its main themes?

Watched for a second time and I think my favorite moment is when Ana's face is lit by the birthday candles and she's talking about her work and all that. She really did a great acting job for such little screentime.

KOHIPEET

I'm becoming crazy at this point. I'm actually thinking about buying an X1s just so I will be able to watch the 4k blu-ray version when it releases.

Do we know if it will support HDR too?

EDIT: I did some search and yes. Apparently it will support HDR10

robotrock

Banned
I'm becoming crazy at this point. I'm actually thinking about buying an X1s just so I will be able to watch the 4k blu-ray version when it releases.

Do we know if it will support HDR too?

Most 4K blurays do, I believe. In any case they made Dolby Vision version of this movie so I would think so.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Watched for a second time and I think my favorite moment is when Ana's face is lit by the birthday candles and she's talking about her work and all that. She really did a great acting job for such little screentime.

I count the entire memory making session as one of my favourites in the movie.

SkylineRKR

Ana is absolutely fucking beautiful.

I also don't really recognize Luv in real life shots:

Just stellar work overall.

SYNTAX182

The only thing that bothered me was Deckard's wardrobe. I mean, grey shirt and jeans from target? Lol, at least give him something unique, he's Deckard after all. Movie is amazing though, the more days pass after watching it, the more I love it.

The only thing that bothered me was Deckard's wardrobe. I mean, grey shirt and jeans from target? Lol, at least give him something unique, he's Deckard after all. Movie is amazing though, the more days pass after watching it, the more I love it.

Lol yeah it's goofy but it fit pretty perfectly with him going into hiding alone.

Where'd you find it?

I bought mine from an online seller in California (Blackwell's), but they sold out. Because it's only being allotted for 15 states, a lot of people are having to look online. Again, Costcos in California got the largest amount of stock, and I imagine that would be the case for any of the states that got it. This was the list I am aware of (I'm in Louisiana so finding a place that actually ships liquor here took some time):

az, ca, co, ct, dc, fl, il, md, ma, mi, mn, ne, nv, nj, ny, sc, tx, wa, wi

You can still find some online for retail, which was $90, but a lot have gone to scalpers, as eBay can attest. I haven't (and won't unless I find a second bottle) tried the scotch, but reviews have actually seemed positive on it, a smokier double black JW apparently. I am always wary of "gimmick" whiskey but this doesn't seem to fit the bill.

I already can't wait to see this again. It's definitely a day one 4K purchase. I don't know how to feel about the Rachel CGI. It was better to me than the Tarkin and Leia CGI from Rogue One, and I loved hearing that Sean Young was indeed involved with the film to help the body double get the Rachel mannerisms and pose down pat. I still remember the story about her telling people to boycott Blade Runner because she wasn't asked to be in it.

My favorite part has to have been the merging scene. Holy hell that was excellent use of CGI and mind-blowing effects.

A-V-B

I already can't wait to see this again. It's definitely a day one 4K purchase. I don't know how to feel about the Rachel CGI. It was better to me than the Tarkin and Leia CGI from Rogue One, and I loved hearing that Sean Young was indeed involved with the film to help the body double get the Rachel mannerisms and pose down pat. I still remember the story about her telling people to boycott Blade Runner because she wasn't asked to be in it.

My favorite part has to have been the merging scene. Holy hell that was excellent use of CGI and mind-blowing effects.

The syncing scene had me entranced both times I saw it. Just sat there in awe of the imagery, music, and invisible use of effects.

Villanueve is gonna fuckin' kill the Water of Life scene in Dune.

NateDog

Got Sea Wall on repeat, lol.

I suggest you guys to do the same.
I said it a lot of pages back but yeah, I genuinely feel like it is one of the best tracks I have heard in a movie for a long time.

On the subject of the 4K release, is anywhere in the EU apart from Amazon Germany selling the edition with the blaster replica where it isn't €200? Amazon.de had it for €140 I believe but it's sold out, there is a French website with it for €200. I ordered the whisky glasses edition from Amazon UK but that blaster looks so damn cool.

Did anyone see the movie the first time and watch the memory scene with K as a boy and think "hmm that's weird, he looks like a girl just with a boyish haircut". Because second time I saw the movie it stands out:

Sigh. I never subscribed to the idea that he was the only replicant with the memory.

There is even less reason to think any other replicant has the memory.

Between both movies, K and Rachel are the only ones shown to have real memories, Rachel's being from Tyrell's niece. In fact, even though we're told replicants get implanted (fake) memories now, we never actually are made aware of any.

It seems really weird to suggest that multiple replicants have this memory even though we never hear about any other replicants' memories whatsoever, are told that giving them real memories is illegal, and obviously no one else has ever gone to the orphanage to get the horse before K, even though it's been there for 20 years.

At any rate, it happened. She did in fact at one point or another insert one of her personal memories (clearly adjusted though, because that's not her in the memory) into a shipment or whatever. And that's all there is to it. She doesn't even need a good reason to do it, really. It just happened, and why you consider this of all things a plothole, I'll never understand. Because really, this is the biggest non-issue ever, and easily explained away by any one reason.

Yes, it happened, because they wanted the twist. It was either bad writing to have her do it because it went against everything we were shown and told about her and her work, or it was bad writing to have her explicitly say all these things that would go against the idea of her doing such a thing.

Yes, it happened, because they wanted the twist. It was either bad writing to have her do it because it went against everything we were shown and told about her and her work, or it was bad writing to have her explicitly say all these things that would go against the idea of her doing such a thing.

Or you're wrong.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
There is even less reason to think any other replicant has the memory.

Between both movies, K and Rachel are the only ones shown to have real memories, Rachel's being from Tyrell's niece. In fact, even though we're told replicants get implanted (fake) memories now, we never actually are made aware of any.

Why is there even less reason to think any other replicants has the memory?

Artificial memories aren't even explored in the original movie, so bringing up Rachel doesn't mean anything. I imagine they would have implanted real memories first, and then figuring out that was a bad idea, proceed to develop a way to manufacture fake ones. Speculation on my part. Also, are you doubting that there are fake memories now? Wha?

Just because K is the only one explicitly shown to have a real memory (Have to rewatch the Mariette tree/dream scene), it does not preclude others from having them as well, especially in the light of the fact that such exclusivity 1.) goes against the very themes of the movie by making K special and 2.) doesn't make sense from your own interpretation. (It would indeed be a ridiculous coincidence for K to be the one to discover the truth!)

I'm tired of going around in circles on this point when I have proposed a narratively and thematically coherent interpretation. Your take is that the movie screwed up and has bad writing. OK then. Whatever floats your boat.

It seems really weird to suggest that multiple replicants have this memory even though we never hear about any other replicants' memories whatsoever, are told that giving them real memories is illegal, and obviously no one else has ever gone to the orphanage to get the horse before K, even though it's been there for 20 years.

Why would replicants suddenly talk about an obscure memory they might have within the context of this story? They have no idea where the horse is and don't even know whether it's real or not.

The memory discussion for K with Joshi makes sense for the narrative and their scene, but there's no reason for anyone else to talk about it within the story. (Again, the Mariette scene might also hint that the memory is not exclusive to K, which would favour my interpretation, but I have to rewatch)

Why the heck would a replicant go to an old orphanage, even if they were allowed to do so?

I must be going crazy then. I remember the tree line as well. The impression I got was that she recognized it.

I don't get the hangup on those memories being specific to K. It makes far more sense if Stelline is illegally putting real memories in a number of replicants and that in turn causes the 'deviant' behavior, hence why they are illegal.

I saw it the other day and she picked it up and said "Like from a dream" or something along those lines. It stuck out to me. Don't know why people are saying she didn't say it.

Mikado

Gold Member
Re: SeaWall

Hnnnnnggggg dat saturation.

Nothing like a bladerunner soundtrack to make you just wanna grind a synth like
giphy.gif

Serpico99

“…blood-black nothingness began to spin / A system of cells interlinked within / Cells interlinked within cells interlinked / Within one stem. And dreadfully distinct / Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.”

Nikodemos

Saw it today in IMAX.

Sadly, I must say that the sound in IMAXes is utter crap. They whack the volume to full, causing the score to become physically unpleasant at times, which detracts from the experience. All subtlety is lost when the sound waves keep pummelling your eardrums. I'll go watch it again in non-IMAX.

The cinematography was top notch. The filters, the lighting, the scene composition... Excellent.

My personal standout was the threesome between Mariette, Joi and Joe/K. It had so many ways it could've been awful or cringy. It wasn't. It was amazing. Probably the best filmed physical intimacy scene in any movie thus far.

On that note, Joe/K's version of Joi was a great character. Her motivations were so clouded: how much of it was standard programming, how much was enablism (a specific set of reactions caused by a very particular behaviour from her owner), and how much was her developing a sentience; I loved the ambiguity. Which is why I'm sad her storyline was cut so short in the end. Then again I've noticed a good deal of films bungling the landing (some way or another) recently.

Ana Stelline being the daughter immediately made retroactive sense right there at the end, when thinking back at the strong reaction she had during the memory parsing scene. I wish she played a larger role than just popping up here and there.

In all honesty, I wish the film were longer. There were so many characters that deserved more fleshing-out.

OBTW, I found it amusing that Sapper Morton's farm brand means 'celery' in Bulgarian.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Finally got around to seeing this... and wow. What an amazing piece of cinema. I honestly enjoyed this even more than the original. The story was more compelling while keeping the fantastic aesthetic of the original. My eyes were glued to the screen the entire time. Definitely going to be seeing this in theaters again.

louiedog

I saw the Blade Runner 2049 whiskey at Costco today and was tempted but didn't get it. I don't need to collect whiskey and I think I like the idea of it more than my desire to open it.

Tuorom

Neo Member
That transition from embers into rain/snow and the cityscape + soundtrack

When is this? I've only seen it once, and can't recall this.

The scenes that are stuck in my head are the Joi mimic scene, the giant Joi, and the final Luv fight (seawalllllllllllllllll)

Joi

When is this? I've only seen it once, and can't recall this.

The scenes that are stuck in my head are the Joi mimic scene, the giant Joi, and the final Luv fight (seawalllllllllllllllll)

Joi

he was lying next to a fire almost dead after getting his head kicked in by Luv. then rescued by the rebels, lying in what looked like a desert, and he had enough strength to look up at the embers flying upwards
which morphed into a night rain shot of LA with the rain pouring downwards.

Tuorom

Neo Member
he was lying next to a fire almost dead after getting his head kicked in by Luv. then rescued by the rebels, lying in what looked like a desert, and he had enough strength to look up at the embers flying upwards
which morphed into a night rain shot of LA with the rain pouring downwards.

Ohhh ok, I remember the fire at least. Thanks.

So many beautiful shots to remember.

Why is there even less reason to think any other replicants has the memory?

Because we are told literally nothing about ANY other replicants' memories, real or fake. Because we are told implanting real memories is illegal. Because there is no logical reason why Wallace would implant the same weird memory in loads of replicants.

Because if another replicant had that memory, and they all "wished they were the child", presumably they would go to the orphanage and see if their memory was real, thus proving they were the child.

bringing up Rachel doesn't mean anything.

I brought up Rachel as literally the only other replicant whom we know of any memories for at all.

I imagine they would have implanted real memories first, and then figuring out that was a bad idea

And why's that, I wonder? Oh yeah, because we have to make it illegal so Stelline has a reason not to tell K it's her memory. I sure can't think of a plausible reason why real memories would be a "bad idea".

Just because K is the only one explicitly shown to have a real memory (Have to rewatch the Mariette tree/dream scene), it does not preclude others from having them as well, especially in the light of the fact that such exclusivity 1.) goes against the very themes of the movie by making K special and 2.) doesn't make sense from your own interpretation. (It would indeed be a ridiculous coincidence for K to be the one to discover the truth!)

Well sure let's just imagine all kinds of things that there is not even a hint of a suggestion of in the movie that was actually made.

Why would replicants suddenly talk about an obscure memory they might have within the context of this story? They have no idea where the horse is and don't even know whether it's real or not.

Because they all "wish they were the child" and because their leader knows when the child was born. If one of them had a memory of hiding a toy with an inscription of the birth date of miracle baby, it might be worth mentioning.

Why the heck would a replicant go to an old orphanage, even if they were allowed to do so?

To see if their memory was real and thus that they were the miracle child that they all wished they were?

Top Bottom