• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread

Onemic

it'd be deserved too
they're all no-heart bitches aside from kobe

I dont know about that when Kobe is pretty much keeping Bynum from reaching his potential. The guy never gets shots. He's the key if they want to win the championship, not Kobe and I think Kobes afraid of that. It's turning into Shaq shit all over again.

DominoKid

Bynum is too much of an immature brat to be counted on night in and night out.
Not to mention you never know when he might go wildcard and get himself suspended.
His recognition of the double team also needs to improve big time. That's his biggest weakness

He's still a year or two out from deserving to be option #1. Kobe knows that and that's why he lets him cook most of the time despite all the dumb shit he does, because he should be able to grow through it.

on another note
if yall want some new socially relevant AND entertaining hip hop, i highly recommend the new Killer Mike* and Ab-Soul** albums
*R.A.P. Music (all prod. by El-P)
**Control System

linked a song from each to sample.

I just don't get it. No woman in the thread described any situation in which she liked being told her tits were nice by a stranger but whatever I'm a sexist against my own kind because there is some magical context never actually specifically stipulated in which the compliment is okay.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I just don't get it. No woman in the thread described any situation in which she liked being told her tits were nice by a stranger but whatever I'm a sexist against my own kind because there is some magical context never actually specifically stipulated in which the compliment is okay.

Stop stressing the stupidity in that thread devo. It ill just give you a headache.

Onemic

Why the thread was even made in the first place, I'll never know. I mean, it should be common sense, but I guess dat entitlement gets in the way.

Trying to get the majority of posters here to understand more complex concepts regarding minorities is really tough for a board that is predominately liberal.

Opiate's responses were especially alarming, I won't say more than that.

Onemic

Trying to get the majority of posters here to understand more complex concepts regarding minorities is really tough for a board that is predominately liberal.

Opiate's responses were especially alarming, I won't say more than that.

I think I get what he's saying,(Then again I only read the last page of the thread) but he sounds so much like he's writing a dissertation for his masters degree that its extremely hard to understand what hes talking about half the time. Im assuming something happened a few pages before though.

Slayven

I think I get what he's saying,(Then again I only read the last page of the thread) but he sounds so much like he's writing a dissertation for his masters degree that its extremely hard to understand what hes talking about half the time. Im assuming something happened a few pages before though.
I will just say it, Opiates reminds me of Sheldon from BBT. I don't if it a character but it kind creeps me out.

Better not to sweat the small stuff. Devil is in the details. Opiate's overall argument is that in communication, the onus is on both the speaker and the listener. That's about it.

Except that I was talking about a specific instance in which a compliment conferred generally isn't, not communication issues in general. There isn't much open interpretation to "nice tits" from someone you don't know.

Except that I was talking about a specific instance in which a compliment conferred generally isn't, not communication issues in general. There isn't much open interpretation to "nice tits" from someone you don't know.

Usually. But it is possible that some people may interpret it differently. After all, not all women fit in the same category, no?

Like lets say an innocent child says that a girl has nice breasts. Unlikely to take it the wrong way.

A teenager, 13. Okay, creepy little kid, whatever.

Old man, ew.

Changes with age and even with a person. Like if someone assumes that a person they like is an angel, and the guy says, you have nice breasts... they take it as a compliment, and maybe not even sexually.

Especially if now the girl is younger, and they don't know much about sex. Many variances.

But usually, yes it will be taken as creepy, and I understand what you're saying. You're not wrong, but neither is Opiate.

Usually. But it is possible that some people may interpret it differently. After all, not all women fit in the same category, no?

Like lets say an innocent child says that a girl has nice breasts. Unlikely to take it the wrong way.

A teenager, 13. Okay, creepy little kid, whatever.

Old man, ew.

Changes with age and even with a person. Like if someone assumes that a person they like is an angel, and the guy says, you have nice breasts... they take it as a compliment, and maybe not even sexually.

Especially if now the girl is younger, and they don't know much about sex. Many variances.

But usually, yes it will be taken as creepy, and I understand what you're saying. You're not wrong, but neither is Opiate.

Nope. You're falling into the same line of shit others do. Because some women who you've decided exist have no issue with it then the rest of us who don't like it should just suck it up. Do people do this with disrespect towards other minorities?

You should just PM your answer since I don't want to shit up this thread.

Nope. You're falling into the same line of shit others do. Because some women who you've decided exist have no issue with it then the rest of us who don't like it should just suck it up. Do people do this with disrespect towards other minorities?

You should just PM your answer since I don't want to shit up this thread.

I'll post it in the main thread.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I've been done with Opiate for months for now. Just....

Gimme an idea for this new OP we're gonna need. No point getting banned over someone's rationalization behind walking up starting a conversation over a woman's tits (then blaming her for the communication failure).

Ya'll can't even imagine how hard I was grinning watching that Lakers-Nuggets game. And add me to the contingent that doesn't understand Opiate at all. His post about blacks and used games blew my mind.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37475518&postcount=19

Here you go. And oh yeah is Good Job Bob still posting in here?

Wow, Natural's Law, lol.

But I can summarize:

1) People can/like to rationalize what they're doing
2) For a big example, racists in America convinced themselves that it was right to separate blacks and whites
3) People will rationalize small things with far greater ease
4) Stopping the sale of used games is easy to rationalize

Or even more simply:

People will rationalize that eliminating used games is right, even though they're probably wrong.

BHZ Mayor

My UMvC3 stick is treating me well, but man do I want that stick.

And didn't one person make a thread raging about those employees that check your receipt for 5 seconds before letting you go at Walmart/Costco? I think he was trying to make some argument that it was a slippery slope into some communism type shit or something.

I used to rage about this and the alarm in my early college years, thinking it was a racial thing, until I found out that it was just the sensor not being deactivated properly.

DY_nasty

Perspective check:

I know I'm really out of touch with how nice the world is supposed to be in some spots, but with the whole recent topic of bullying coming up... I grew up in a neighborhood where they treated murder like that shit was okay. I never got to understand what it was until shown the greater scope of such an outlook after I left where I grew up and got to look at things from a new angle as a volunteer out in Charlotte.

I get rubbed the wrong way when a lot of people speak of how hard it is to live with depression when many don't realize that even being diagnosed is such a huge step up from what others face.

What I'm asking is... how did you guys react to bullying? And what do you define it as? My definition may be too extreme.

Bullying to me is frequent/regular physical or verbal abuse.

Growing up where it was bully or be bullied I'm kind of jaded, probably not as bad as you or other folks considering you just said murder was no biggie lol.

I've seen kids turned from outgoing enthusiastic children to traumtized hermits by the hands of parents and/or classmates. I had a good family dynamic though and only had to deal with it until my early teens, so it just helped me build a tough skin, sense of humor and quick wit. Lots of childhood friends weren't so lucky.

fighting over average looking white girl? yep, this is the black culture thread.

I've always had a thing for redheads. They're my weakness.

Perspective check:

I know I'm really out of touch with how nice the world is supposed to be in some spots, but with the whole recent topic of bullying coming up... I grew up in a neighborhood where they treated murder like that shit was okay. I never got to understand what it was until shown the greater scope of such an outlook after I left where I grew up and got to look at things from a new angle as a volunteer out in Charlotte.

I get rubbed the wrong way when a lot of people speak of how hard it is to live with depression when many don't realize that even being diagnosed is such a huge step up from what others face.

What I'm asking is... how did you guys react to bullying? And what do you define it as? My definition may be too extreme.

I think bullying is really broad. Like I never got beat up but kids used to pick on me so much it just got tiring. Eventually it gets to a point where you can't take it anymore. That's the worst thing about bullying to me.

DY_nasty

Bullying to me is frequent/regular physical or verbal abuse.

Growing up where it was bully or be bullied I'm kind of jaded, probably not as bad as you or other folks considering you just said murder was no biggie lol.

I've seen kids turned from outgoing enthusiastic children to traumtized hermits by the hands of parents and/or classmates. I had a good family dynamic though and only had to deal with it until my early teens, so it just helped me build a tough skin, sense of humor and quick wit. Lots of childhood friends weren't so lucky.
I was so fucked in the head that when I got to Charlotte for college, I was looking at people and trying to figure out how they had survived the trip from the airport. Any woman who walked alone after dark was immediately an idiot in my eyes.

I saw people get picked on all the time. Labeled, things of that nature but only when it directly led to violence or violence against themselves did it register as something for me. I just had (and still do have to some extent) this view of "get over it and get stronger, or you're going to die" perspective. I'd help people along the way and many times fuck myself up trying to help people but after seeing so many stories play out, I got it in my head that some people just can't make it - that doesn't translate to notafuckedupenvironment thinking.

I try to look back and see if the description of a bully fit anyone that I grew up with, and most of those guys ended up as good friends or just stayed douchebags - much like how my old friends either turned into douchebags or stayed as good friends. So its kinda hard for me to really draw parallels to what some describe here.

Even when I had kids to tutor back and coach, the ones who had trouble like abusive homes or dangerous neighborhoods got much more of my attention than the ones who got picked on. I didn't see anything wrong with it either.

DominoKid

tbh the stuff i did as a kid (which wasnt long ago really) would definitely be considered seriously bullying these days and i'd be up a creek of trouble, but to me it's just kids being kids. i never felt like the stuff we did was malicious in intent, we were just trying to be funny. and a lot of the people i used to fuck with from middle school im pretty good friends with to this day.

actually "bullying" led to the only real experience i've ever had with police, which more or less resulted in the school policeman threatening us with jail time (as 4th graders, really? that's more bullying than anything we ever did imo) if we didnt leave this kid alone. really had a negative impact on how i view cops and i really only think it was made as big of an issue as it was because the kid was white. i always felt like the kid was a bit of a pussy anyway because its not even like we were bothering him much or targeting him specifcally.

i dunno, on one hand i get why people take it so seriously because real bullying can lead to terrible outcomes, but i feel like people try and throw everything they can under the blanket term of bullying. i look at it as just another part of growing up and learning social dynamics. as someone who has been on the giving and receiving end my fair share, some minor bullying isn't really that big of a deal of me. i'd be inclined to tell a kid to "toughen up and deal with it" or something along that lines rather than running and telling.

I think the problem with the get over mentality is that not everyone reacts in the same ways. Me if somebody would target me for their mockery I would have a problem with it and make it known. Some people are just cool and keep it moving.

Oh yeah DY do I have to do some initation or something for NBA-Gaf I don't even know how to start posting in there.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Oh yeah DY do I have to do some initation or something for NBA-Gaf I don't even know how to start posting in there.
Just waltz in and declare yourself a Heat lifelong from the Dan Majerle days. The love will flow.

In terms of bullying, I was two years younger than everyone else in my grade, the first black kid at both my elementary and high school, one of two black families in the entire city. Got in my first real fight in second grade, the next in fourth. Other than those incidents, elementary school was a pretty good experience for me.

First day of high school, a kid two grades ahead of me waltzed past my locker singing, "I hate niggers" looking me dead in the eyes and smiling. Two years and 30 lbs/4 inches later, I broke that senior's nose in rugby practice and stood over him while he bled.

Other than that, I tended to get along with everybody.

I was so fucked in the head that when I got to Charlotte for college, I was looking at people and trying to figure out how they had survived the trip from the airport. Any woman who walked alone after dark was immediately an idiot in my eyes.

I saw people get picked on all the time. Labeled, things of that nature but only when it directly led to violence or violence against themselves did it register as something for me. I just had (and still do have to some extent) this view of "get over it and get stronger, or you're going to die" perspective. I'd help people along the way and many times fuck myself up trying to help people but after seeing so many stories play out, I got it in my head that some people just can't make it - that doesn't translate to notafuckedupenvironment thinking.

I try to look back and see if the description of a bully fit anyone that I grew up with, and most of those guys ended up as good friends or just stayed douchebags - much like how my old friends either turned into douchebags or stayed as good friends. So its kinda hard for me to really draw parallels to what some describe here.

Even when I had kids to tutor back and coach, the ones who had trouble like abusive homes or dangerous neighborhoods got much more of my attention than the ones who got picked on. I didn't see anything wrong with it either.

How you grow up does shape you immensely, but understanding everyone has it different is part of growing up. Friends I had with shit parents covered it well, a girl in our class once showed up covered in welts and we found out her mother had beat her with the phone line before taking her to school. The kids of good homes were floored, everyone else were surprised that her mom was dumb enough to do it so soon before school lol. In addition to a shit mom she was picked on by other girls. Having it rough is having it rough to me now, shitty parents suck and so does being bullied.

It may have to do with the socioeconomics of the situation too, the worse the neighborhood the fewer fathers there seem to be. Busting on kids was part of childhood that everyone I knew dealt with and not having a dad or mom was something I didn't go through and they didn't beat me so the contrast was vivid for me as a kid. I used to think shitty homes were worse than being bullied cause I was so callus to one.

DY_nasty

I think the problem with the get over mentality is that not everyone reacts in the same ways. Me if somebody would target me for their mockery I would have a problem with it and make it known. Some people are just cool and keep it moving.

Its not just "get over it" for me really. Its "get over it, or be fucked up/dead".

I see that as a real outcome. People die - I'm very much okay with this. I'll bust my ass to prevent it when I can, but I know that some people are just going to get fucked up by the world's people just like they'd get fucked up by a tornado.

I don't have a real grasp of where the real line is supposed to be regarding such things in certain circles. It works great for my job now, but there were times when I was working elsewhere when it directly clashed with the ethics of my coworkers.

And NBA-age is cool. Contrary to popular belief, its pretty wide open - just don't be a douche (like in any community thread or large discussion topic on GAF) and its great.

DominoKid

ah i see the thread where this originated...interesting

also as far as NBA GAF, just go in and start posting like you've been there forever.

I was the fat kid growing up, so I got mainly verbal bullying. Never got into a fight though. Funny thing in high school though, I never got bullied but instead was ignored until the mexican kids in school learned my last name. I didn't become popular overnight, but I was essentially on the "don't fuck with him, he's aight" list.

Its not just "get over it" for me really. Its "get over it, or be fucked up/dead".

I see that as a real outcome. People die - I'm very much okay with this. I'll bust my ass to prevent it when I can, but I know that some people are just going to get fucked up by the world's people just like they'd get fucked up by a tornado.

I don't have a real grasp of where the real line is supposed to be regarding such things in certain circles. It works great for my job now, but there were times when I was working elsewhere when it directly clashed with the ethics of my coworkers.

And NBA-age is cool. Contrary to popular belief, its pretty wide open - just don't be a douche (like in any community thread or large discussion topic on GAF) and its great.

If you did something fucked up and heinous in school you don't pull the "I don't recall." At the very least you admit it. If it was really fucked up you apologize.

If you did something fucked up and heinous in school you don't pull the "I don't recall." At the very least you admit it. If it was really fucked up you apologize.

If I ever get called out for some the terrible shit I said or did in highschool I'd have to own up for being such an asshole, otherwise you look like you're that same asshole kid.

Top Bottom