• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN - World exclusive hands on with GTA V

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Holy hyperbole batman at IGN.

Yep, first thing I noticed, too. I know IGN's ecstatic that they're the first ones to get hands-on time with it, but damn! The gushiness is bit too much.

Just from this alone you can tell they're going to rate it at the very least a 9.5 or possibly an eleventyhundred out of 10 and possibly Game of the Forever.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Is this where I come to make a jaded, snarky comment about a gamer enjoying his first play of the most eagerly anticipated game of the year?

Yes, yes, come right in. Pick up a pitchfork on your way in and join the mob to the left. You lot will be in the group chanting "Oscar-worthy" over and over again , until it loses all meaning.

jet1911

Yep, first thing I noticed, too. I know IGN's ecstatic that they're the first ones to get hands-on time with it, but damn! The gushiness is bit too much.

Just from this alone you can tell they're going to rate it at the very least a 9.5 or possibly an eleventyhundred out of 10 and possibly Game of the Forever.

15 pages review in the making.

Disgusting. looking foward to reading some actual previews soon though.

edit: oh shit, do I even wanna check out the discussion video on pg.1 of the artcle? how bad are we talking here?

What's so wrong with what he said? This seems pretty accurate

GTA V already feels like a potent reminder that ambition, confidence and, above all, gameplay beats a brand new box of chips and wires every time.

There are no games currently announced for either upcoming console that are anywhere near as ambitious as GTAV. It's something that could/can only happen toward the end of a generation when a developer has built up years of knowledge of platforms and what they can do.

And GTA Online kinda justifies the next-gen comment since it's doing what so many next-gen games are making a big deal out of. Persistent online worlds that in some ways blur the line between single player and multiplayer.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Dayuuuum @ the summary.

ApVCxo.gif

Derrick01

Banned
so...
hows the driving?

GTA4 or Saints Row?

We don't really know yet. All reports seem to suggest it's somewhere in the middle, as in every car you get in won't handle like you're trying to drive on ice (GTA 4) but they won't handle like paper cars either (SR).

Edit: Oh what the hell tap to sprint is back? Why? WHY???

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
so...
hows the driving?

GTA4 or Saints Row?

Definitely closer to GTA4 than Saints Row from what we've heard, but it sounds like it's been tuned.

We don't know for sure, but it sounds like a balance between GTA4 and Midnight Club LA. I liked the driving in GTA4 -- it was a huge improvement and is the best open world driving physics model that we have ever had -- but I don't love that even sports cars are too "floaty." I also don't feel like the world was really designed that well for the floatiness of the cars.. Certain highly trafficked spots were guaranteed accidents almost every time (bridge to Bohan that had a small dip and then a sharp right hand turn on a down hill looking at you).

Hoping that big boat like cars drive like a boat and require you to put work into driving, but also hoping that a tricked out sports car has some handles.

Sethos

Banned
What's a "paper fan"?

People who claim to be "fans" but the second there's a tiny feature they dislike, then "OMFG WORST GAME EVER WHYYYYYYYYYYY!" just consider the paper addition as being a shitty piece of material that loses its structural integrity over anything.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
People who claim to be "fans" but the second there's a tiny feature they dislike, then "OMFG WORST GAME EVER WHYYYYYYYYYYY!" just consider the paper addition as being a shitty piece of material that loses its structural integrity over anything.

Ha! That's quite funny.

People who claim to be "fans" but the second there's a tiny feature they dislike, then "OMFG WORST GAME EVER WHYYYYYYYYYYY!"

I think ol' D spouts negativity more often than not, like, sure, in every single thread... But I also think that the features that people disliked from GTAIV, including me, weren't tiny. The boring, redundant, and unvaried missions weren't tiny features... they were really the meat of the game.

Although I don't go into every thread complaining about GTAIV...... but when the situation presents itself I have to jump on

Anyone know when the GTA Online coverage drops?

I need it

I'm tweakin, man

I think today at 12pm EST or 6PM ET or 9am PST. I'm considerably more amped for the GTA Online coverage... it has to have more real details than just the novelized mission walkthroughs of yesterday.

Derrick01

Banned
Are we talking about Deus Ex? :p

What? That's not a series, there's only 1 game!

Eh I wouldn't call having 90+ boring Saints Row caliber missions and taking out most of the fun features and vehicles from San Andreas tiny things. The driving was just an annoyance.

Getting use to a brand new console maybe? :/

360 was 3 years old when GTA IV came out. Also, if they had said that then, I think people would have excused it. But instead R* said things like, "riding a bike just doesn't fit this character, who is an immigrant from over seas." If it was a console resources issue or a development resources issue I think that would have been more easily excused, but they really did explain it away as design decisions to make the world seem more realistic for a recently immigrated person ... It just ... fell flat.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
Definitely closer to GTA4 than Saints Row from what we've heard, but it sounds like it's been tuned.

We don't know for sure, but it sounds like a balance between GTA4 and Midnight Club LA. I liked the driving in GTA4 -- it was a huge improvement and is the best open world driving physics model that we have ever had -- but I don't love that even sports cars are too "floaty." I also don't feel like the world was really designed that well for the floatiness of the cars.. Certain highly trafficked spots were guaranteed accidents almost every time (bridge to Bohan that had a small dip and then a sharp right hand turn on a down hill looking at you).

Hoping that big boat like cars drive like a boat and require you to put work into driving, but also hoping that a tricked out sports car has some handles.

that sounds good to me. I definately dont want SR level of driving.
What you describe sounds good to me.

Andrew.

Banned
I said it before, but I wouldn't be surprised if GTAV has a driving feel akin to Sleepy Dogs. That game nailed driving mechanics for me, personally. But then again I didnt have an issue with the driving in GTAIV.

360 was 3 years old when GTA IV came out. Also, if they had said that then, I think people would have excused it. But instead R* said things like, "riding a bike just doesn't fit this character, who is an immigrant from over seas." If it was a console resources issue or a development resources issue I think that would have been more easily excused, but they really did explain it away as design decisions to make the world seem more realistic for a recently immigrated person ... It just ... fell flat.

I always forget that 360 came out a little ways before PS3.

Wasn't around for the GTAIV hype.

I hope the driving is similar to 4 actually, I really enjoyed it.

Sports cars were so fun to drift around with that weighty feel :)

Hopefully it is just a general tune up than a complete overhaul.

gogosox8

Ugh the writing in this preview is so atrociously bad. Its like he's trying to impress someone. Your not writing a thesis, just give me your impressions and be done with it.

He also didn't really describe anything that new in the preview. We all expect that there will be some variance in cars, helicopters, and how npc react so talking about your experience with it isn't all that helpful. For example, he could have talked about the side missions or activities. Are there more than in GTA IV? Are they any good (admittedly, this is subjective but if he liked them I'm sure he would explain why and then you could make a decision based on his explanation). Customization options? Game stability and performance? These are all things that he could have talked about but didn't. Maybe that's asking too much since this was an "exclusive" preview and all but would have been nice to hear about that stuff.

And the way he just gushes on about the game is kind of embarrassing. I mean, this is a long game and what if the game just starts strong but the middle and end are bad? People are going to remember you wrote that. People still bring up the Oscar worthy line from the GTA IV review and that was like 4 or 5 years ago. Do you really want people throwing the "next gen starts when R* says it does" line in your face if this game isn't all that great? I get that your excited about the game but come on man, tone it down a tad for the preview. You can fawn like that over the game to your buddies or other people at ign.

Top Bottom