• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Z3M0G

I love the idea of an MMO but find after level 15-20 it becomes nothing but a grind with stupid fetch quests. Does this have a story worth playing for?

I'm currently level 35 and the story isn't much, but there was still an unexpected "twist" around 30 that lead to a pretty epic "final" encounter... now it feels like I'm onto a completely new story line. I really enjoy the cinematics because they are so pretty... I'm forgiving the constant screen tearing and zero lip sync.

Edit: New page, so I'll ask, is there a v-sync config edit somewhere?

NeOak

zero lip sync.

Could be worse: http://youtu.be/NCeUwu9gOzk?t=51s

Edit: New page, so I'll ask, is there a v-sync config edit somewhere?

S1Engine.ini

My character's name on VoT is Artea, anyone mind inviting me?

How to Apply (From the Community Thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471546)

e989c081.jpg

e5c1f5ee.jpg

Got my Lancer to 32 last night, so I now have 2 characters in their 30's. Everything is just easier as a lancer; I can solo most BAM's with ease and I get insta-queue's, I might be switching mains!

I may go back to Sorcerer once his rested XP is at 200% XD

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Got my Lancer to 32 last night, so I now have 2 characters in their 30's. Everything is just easier as a lancer; I can solo most BAM's with ease and I get insta-queue's, I might be switching mains!

I may go back to Sorcerer once his rested XP is at 200% XD

I hit 40 last night, and I feel like NOW things are easier as a Lancer, but there are definitely some of these 38-40 BAMs that are not worth attempting to solo (not for the time invested at least). I've been wondering where Futtbuck has been...

I hit 40 last night, and I feel like NOW things are easier as a Lancer, but there are definitely some of these 38-40 BAMs that are not worth attempting to solo (not for the time invested at least). I've been wondering where Futtbuck has been...

Yeah, my Lancer is Bigtds :) Which glyps do you have for your Lancer? I know the shield bash one that gives 100% aggro is a must, also challenging shout giving an extra 20% aggro, but what else? I've got 2 into Combo attack (more MP regen and 5% extra aggro)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, my Lancer is Bigtds :) Which glyps do you have for your Lancer? I know the shield bash one that gives 100% aggro is a must, also challenging shout giving an extra 20% aggro, but what else? I've got 2 into Combo attack (more MP regen and 5% extra aggro)

I'll have to check. I know I've got the one that gives more aggro from shield bash. I'll check over lunch and show you what I've got at the moment, ha.

Ricker

Haven't had this much fun in a game online with a party since PSO(and that's just doing BoL for now hehe),and maybe the first times I did the vanilla WoW instances(Deadmines,Shadowfang etc etc).

TheGrue

I so want to play this game after reading in this thread, but Diablo 3 comes out next week. I just have a feeling I would play it this week and then not again for a long time, if ever. I also swore off sub-based MMOs after I maxed level in TOR and then had no more interest in playing. What to do? What to do?

i'm lvl 44 Sorc. just got a new skill. I'm waiting for some instant AOE ones. I also did like 5 jaunts in a row. that's my highest. so good.

vaelic

Banned
compiled from: http://www.reddit.com/r/TeraOnline/comments/t9xlj/list_all_the_tips_and_tricks_you_have_discovered/

Hold down "E" to fire off pre-generated attack commands

Your inventory has an "auto sort" option. Open your inventory and look at the icon on the bottom right

You can scale down your quest tracker UI so you are able to see all 7 quests

When picking up multiple loot items: dont mash "F", just hold it down. You'll walk to and pick up each item

Shift + arrow keys pans your camera so your toon isn't in the middle of the field of view. In general I leave it centered, but there are some times where it's handy to be left- or right-shifted.

Fall damage will not kill you; jump off of any height drop offs with no problem

You can kite most BAMs without too much trouble and break combat to drop camp fires or use bandages, useful for soloing (the BAM will not reset as long as you do not run away too far)

When you have aggro on a BAM you will have a red circle effect underneath your character; purple indicates that the BAM is casting something at you

Places with merchants will have both a crystal vendor and a specialty vendor; higher quality/more expensive crystals are available at the latter, though there may be some discrepancies in available crystals (you cannot buy a higher quality in combat move speed crystal for example). The specialty store also has bandages which I would recommend stocking up on.

Move to a lesser populated channel to get more gather nodes, avoid getting killed in PvP, and in general just have an easier time doing non-PvP things

Change your chain skills hotkey to something else in the off chance you have to jump (such as here http://puu.sh/tlFi if you happen to move into the center somehow)

Typically you will lose crystals on death, it is useful to have spares ready

Most places have a "Cleric/Noble Cleric of Restoration" near where you resurrect. Use them to instantly restore your stamina for a relatively cheap price. They show up on your map

When your cursor is up, shift-click on someone to bring them to the center of your screen and look at them. This also works on NPCs and (maybe) mobs

You can drag quests in the quest tracker to change the order of them

If you control+left click a point on the map while zoomed in you'll create a Point of Interest that your friends or party can check. It'll mark a spot on the map

If you ever run out of teleport scroll, you can use the unstuck "function" to teleport to the nearest town. Or you can be a cheap [filtered] and use it on every cool down

Use all regen crystals on PVP servers while leveling. It is funny as hell well people complain that you use pots... especially when you do not

If you are questing and are tasked to gather quest objects, such as a certain flower, you can gather the object, switch channel, and the object will be there again as long as nobody in that channel gathered the object before you

Turn on show your own cooldowns in the UI menu. You won't have to look at your skill bars ever again.

Turn on show player skill. This will show what other spells players are casting. Very useful for PvP

You can turn off Area chat under the general tab so you can actually see your guild chat message. Right click on the tab. I have my Area and LFG chat off in another window when I do need to PUG

I added guild chat the the bargain channel, renamed it to guild and moved it up next to general, for easy filtering.

If you received a horse as a preorder bonus, you can start using it at level 11. Find the item claim option in the menu. Makes the last few missions on Noob Island go a lot quicker

Also, when you get to Velika and get the mount from questing there, sell it to a vendor for 2 gold (a lot of money at level 11).

Press 'Y' to bring up the LFG tool. Almost no one uses it now, but hopefully as more players discover it, it'll become more useful. Same goes for the LFD (dungeon) tool. More players use this one, but judging by the amount of LFG messages in area chat I think it could be used more.

If you're crafting, sort mats by the 'per item' price at the broker. When you search for the item and click on the price column, I think the first time it sorts it by total purchase price high to low. Click again and it reverses. Click a third time and it sorts by the 'per item' price. That's the most important number for the smart shopper.

This sounds obvious but I've talked to more than one player that didn't realize you can rebind pretty much everything. As you progress there are more and more skills you'll need to have easy access to. Putting them all at 1 through 9 (and F1 through F9) isn't ideal.

Also seems obvious, but still missed by players: use the teleport masters in the larger cities to get where you need to go a bit faster. If you get killed, you can usually teleport back to very close to where you were.
Shift right-click to sell a specific number of items from a stack at the broker. Especially lower-end stuff, as selling huge stacks will make the total price too much for noobs to spend.

At higher levels go back an oneshot BAMs (eg basilisks) to farm 100% stamina potions

If you want to quickly get an item's name in the AH search, you can put your cursor in the text field, and then control+leftclick the item in order to paste the item name directly in there. Saves you having to type some of these horrible names.

When you die and ressurect back in town, be sure to use the cleric of restoration to restore your mana. It's only about 25s. Cheaper than potting for stamina and you can skip the wait time. Almost every pug group I've been in that have died and ressurected back in town does not use this

Gold weapons come with 3 random mods on them (the random mods have the green circles at the end of them) and are automatically identified. You can change them if you buy the 5g scroll from the merchant and re-identify it. 50+ golds drop as enigmatic and you have to identify them yourself them first time.

From my experience, use white color gear for +1 to +3, green color gear for +3 to +5, and blue/green gear to +6. I've made +6 with both but I have also failed 10+ to 6, its all luck.

Story quests give you all the gear you need. Dungeon drops are just a bonus. Next set of story armor is Lv42 gold weapon and armor set. After that you get a set of 44 blue that has better

you can "swap" your crystal under the equipment screen. The numbers 1-5 right below your armor saves the state of your equipment. I have been using it to swap out my crystals between attack and HP/MP regen. shift + 1-5 will toggle your crystal set up. just make sure you hit the save button whenever you equip a new armor/weapon.stats. And after that you get a set of 48 golds that has even better stats. My advice is: save all the gold you get and level up with story quest gear

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I waited literally years for SWTOR and then ended up barely playing it for a few weeks... then I buy this TERA thing that I just heard of on a whim and it has completely owned me. Funny how things work out heh.

Torraz

Got my berserker to 24 and am having such a great time. Deliberating on making a lancer alt, but still not sure what race: high elf female, barakka or elin.

Torraz

Since I liked tanking in other games, how painful is soloing with a lancer or warrior? I heard that a decent weapon can go a long way towards improving the speed?

Also, what's up with the XP formula (at least in instances). At level 20 I only got around 1 xp bar in BoL but the higher I got (now 24) the more XP per run I have been getting...

Don't tell me that. Monster Hunter is one of my favorite games ever and I keep giving myself reasons not to buy this because MMOs like WOW bore me after a couple weeks due to the gameplay.

The quests are boring typical MMORPG fare..

The gameplay is fun, however.

It's more like Monster Hunter.

It's nothing like Monster Hunter.

Don't tell me that. Monster Hunter is one of my favorite games ever and I keep giving myself reasons not to buy this because MMOs like WOW bore me after a couple weeks due to the gameplay.

TERA is a great game and is tons of fun and you should buy it. But just because the game has BAMs does not automatically make it like Monster Hunter. I have no idea why this comparison keeps being made. It's as if Monster Hunter is the only game prior to TERA to have ever featured large monsters that are challenging to battle. If TERA is like Monster Hunter than so are all the Final Fantasy games.

NeOak

It's nothing like Monster Hunter.

Right, because i dont have to attack towards the direction of the monster because i have a lock-on like WoW with a evasion stat.

Oh wait, this game has no lock-on, you can solo BAMs and you gotta move your ass to not get hit. Like Monster Hunter.

If TERA is like Monster Hunter than so are all the Final Fantasy games.
I must have missed the battles without the turn-based combat included in every Final Fantasy game then.

Mr. Hyde

The quests are boring typical MMORPG fare..

The gameplay is fun, however.

Generic quests aren't the reason these games turn me off. It's the gameplay. I could spend countless hours playing a game like PSO or MH due to how fun it is to play. They could send me to kill a thousand mutant sheep because they are invading old man Henry's herb farm if the gameplay is enjoyable enough. I also hope they continue supporting this game with new dungeons and monsters because end game in most MMOs is another reason I never take the dive. I always hear how barren most games get by then.

Besides that, does the slayer play smoothly up until the highest level using a xbox 360 controller?

NeOak

Generic quests aren't the reason these games turn me off. It's the gameplay. I could spend countless hours playing a game like PSO or MH due to how fun it is to play. They could send me to kill a thousand mutant sheep because they are invading old man Henry's herb farm if the gameplay is enjoyable enough. I also hope they continue supporting this game with new dungeons and monsters because end game in most MMOs is another reason I never take the dive. I always hear how barren most games get by then.

Besides that, does the slayer play smoothly up until the highest level using a xbox 360 controller?

My experience with the game:

I have played non-stop starting at ~7pm until 3pm the next day, doing quests non-stop alone, with a party, instances, BAMs and guild chat. I play a Priest and It's different from playing my Druid. I go in, heal, shield in case the monster is about to pwn the party, and gtfo to a safe distance. I can use HoTs or burst heals. I can solo the quests. It's never boring.

And yes, Physical DPS are the most suited for controllers.

Mr. Hyde

It looks really good but why does the screen have so much on it? I feel these games would fare better if they limited things to be more like action games. I know lag input in MMOS make it not capable of being a true action game, but I think making all classes work right on a controller would make more people interested. Is it really necessary to have so many skills?

Right, because i dont have to attack towards the direction of the monster because i have a lock-on like WoW with a evasion stat.

Oh wait, this game has no lock-on, you can solo BAMs and you gotta move your ass to not get hit. Like Monster Hunter.

I must have missed the part without the turn-based combat included in every Final Fantasy game then.

Most FPS games also have no lock-on and you can solo Bosses and you have to dodge to avoid getting hit. I guess TERA is like Call of Duty now too.

The point is that the inclusion of BAMs in TERA (which is a great feature) does not automatically make the game like Monster Hunter and telling people that is a disservice to both the people you are informing and the games themselves. Yes, TERA has BAMs in the game, and you might get a Monster Hunter vibe while you battle those particular mobs, but the BAMs in TERA are just one tiny iota of what the game is about.

Vesper73

It looks really good but why does the screen have so much on it? I feel these games would fare better if they limited things to be more like action games. Is it really necessary to have so many skills?

The skill progression is done quite well in this game. Just when I get to the point where I feel really comfortable with the skills I have, (maybe even a bit too comfortable), they add another one.

You won't feel overwhelmed.

Seriously, I wish everyone would just buy this game. You won't regret it.

NeOak

Most FPS games also have no lock-on and you can solo Bosses and you have to dodge to avoid getting hit. I guess TERA is like Call of Duty now too.

The point is that the inclusion of BAMs in TERA (which is a great feature) does not automatically make the game like Monster Hunter and telling people that is a disservice to both the people you are informing and the games themselves. Yes, TERA has BAMs in the game, and you might get a Monster Hunter vibe while you battle those particular mobs, but the BAMs in TERA are just one tiny iota of what the game is about.

Come back when you've read the definition of what a simile is.

Mr. Hyde

The skill progression is done quite well in this game. Just when I get to the point where I feel really comfortable with the skills I have, (maybe even a bit too comfortable), they add another one.

You won't feel overwhelmed.

Seriously, I wish everyone would just buy this game. You won't regret it.

Well, that's good. I might pick it up and try it out. I'm mostly excited for PSO2 but this could be entertaining until then when I need a game to play.

Ken

Is it really necessary to have so many skills?

I assume a bunch of those skills can't even be used in combat and it probably doesn't look cluttered to the person playing (who has had days to get used to it).

Anwyays, I think anyone interested in the game should pick it up. The combat is really fun and helps the boring quests go by. The active skills really make it feel like a much faster MonHun. A caveat that has been said though is that the classes don't really pick up until 20 so the first few hours might seem really boring but just keep at it.

NeOak

I assume a bunch of those skills can't even be used in combat and it probably doesn't look cluttered to the person playing (who has had days to get used to it).

Need more buttons on my WoW mouse! D:

At least for a priest, all the skills can be used in combat. As to why you would use something like say, teleport to Velika during a fight, no idea lol

Lhexh

Level 60 sorc guarding the bridge leaving Lumbertown. What do people do.

A. Stay in town?
B. Change to another channel?
C. Call in high level friends/guildies?
D. Rush the bridge since she can't kill us all?

Answer:
She killed them all

With this said how is a pvp server fun at all?

Mr. Hyde

Need more buttons on my WoW mouse! D:

At least for a priest, all the skills can be used in combat. As to why you would something like say, teleport to Velika during a fight, no idea lol

I guess I should stick to a class that can be comfortably played with a controller, then. :p I think that is one of the reasons most MMOs drive me crazy. I'm not big on having more than six or so main skills. It's fine to have skills as you progress and for things outside of combat, but there should be no need for so many macros.

depward

Would this be a wise investment if I were to play it casually? Am I able to get things done if I have, say, an hour to play? Or do I need to invest lots of time to get anything done (i.e. FFXI).

Lhexh

Would this be a wise investment if I were to play it casually? Am I able to get things done if I have, say, an hour to play? Or do I need to invest lots of time to get anything done (i.e. FFXI).

A lot more casual then ffxi. I havent played ffxi for a whole 2 weeks lol. I really do not miss waiting in Jeuno for a shout.

It is and it isn't.

• It doesn't matter where you hit the enemy, even the huge bosses.
  • You have a crosshair that makes aiming easy.
  • TERA has a generic MMORPG skill implementation. You can chain skills together, but compared to Monster Hunter it is limited.
  • Your swings have weight behind them but nowhere near that of Monster Hunter.
  • There doesn't seem to be a massive reach difference between the (melee) classes.
  • You can ignore crafting in TERA completely.

Paprikka

Because the joke is they all chose D and she could kill them all. Most people on the PvP server enjoy it, and in cases like this just changing channels completely avoids it if you don't want to deal with a ganker. All areas have a minimum of 8 channels at once, with most people in the first one and changing channels only takes 5 seconds.

Slacker

whats the point of a pvp server ATM? Do you get anything when you kill a player?

A smug sense of self-satisfaction. :) No, you don't get anything at the moment. I think if you kill too many lowbies you get a temporary penalty but that's it. I hope that doesn't change too soon, but I fear it will. In my eyes the idea of open world PVP means you can kill anyone anytime. I think they've struck a good balance right now with the outlaw system.

So why roll PvP? Why is it fun? For me it adds an extra layer to the game. Call it player generated content. A band of high-level assholes group up and decide to terrorize Noobytown, and a guild of white knight types (Like BELIEVE) arrive to pvpwn them. Two players are both farming the same area, and one decides to eliminate the competition. You're riding along and see a player a few levels below you with a red name. You don't know who he killed, but you know he's a killer. And you know you have the means to exact sweet vengeance for your unknown fallen brothers.

During one of the closed betas the PVP server went down, so I worked on my character from CBT1 who was on a PvE server. I immediately realized how much I missed the element of danger from the PvP side. On the PvP server I tried to stay off the beaten path to not make myself a target. When I was killing mobs near another player, I kept my eye on them. And once I leveled up a little more, I stopped running and started fighing. And winning! Meanwhile on the PvE server I just quested. Kill X whatevers, turn it in. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Yes, sometimes the assholes will do some damage. I saw two players performing a long boring escort quest outside of Crescentia only to get pvpwnt right at the end of it by a pack of gankers. I was too low a level to help so I made like a tree and got out of there. Another time my mystic and a warrior were two-manning a BAM when a ganker slayed us both. Oddly enough he killed the BAM too and we still got credit for it. :p

Last night some elin bastard jumped my archer while I was dealing with a group of mobs. I managed to kite him and the mobs long enough to take him out. I had less than 5% HP when he finally dropped. There is nothing better than killing your attempted killer.

So there are pros and cons but for me the good far outweighs the bad. Especially in TERA, where the PVP is just so damn fun, I can't fathom rolling on a PVE server. I'm obviously in the minority, though, so take that with a grain of salt. ;)

Edit: And I should mention you can easily mitigate the damage if you're being terrorized on a PVP server by flipping to another channel. Unless you have encountered a really persistent ganker, it's unlikely that he'll jump around all the channels trying to find you again if you switch.

arimanius

I love playing on a pvp server. Ganking is really that bad on VoT and it's easy to see it coming if you pay attention to your surroundings. Just have to keep a heads up for people with red names.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
This game has the best adrenaline rushes of any MMO I've played since the original EverQuest, and that's something I never thought I'd see again. The visceral feel of combat, the dodging and slashing, is just amazing. Especially when you arrive in a new area and take on a BAM that's designed for a group, all by your lonesome.

NfM1N.jpg

Top Bottom