• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefox |OT|

So I've been trying to decide what browser to use recently. I've had a mostly pleasant experience with Chrome, though it is a resource hog in comparison to the other browsers. I also get serious slowdown with .gifs that have been auto-resized on GAF (see page 2 of the Mechwarrior online trailer thread). I've tried out both FF and Opera and it seems opera is winning. Anyone else have a similar experience?

kharma45

Izick

OP Updated

- Be aware that you'll have to open up the script manually to enter your GAF username and mess around with any options. Manage User Scripts -> Select the script -> Edit.

Would be well worth adding those three at least to the OP.

Done and done. How does it look? I included links to both Greasemonkey and Scriptish as well.

kharma45

Looks fine :)

If I've time some day I might try and create some stuff for the OP, like banners/headers or something like that.

Darkatomz

Live Thread

YouTube Me Again! (Watch YouTube videos on GAF)

NeoGAF User Highlighter - Be aware that you'll have to open up the script manually to enter your GAF username and mess around with any options. Manage User Scripts -> Select the script -> Edit.

Would be well worth adding those three at least to the OP.
Speaking of the User Highlighter script, is there any way to get this working with the Pro Dark theme with Stylish? I don't think a fix was every created.

kharma45

Some images to throw in potentially, maybe make hyperlinks with them instead of just the text. Some of the images may be of no use but it might help to make our OT a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

http://min.us/mJv4MgsPT

And the banner about performance you could stick in about the browser grand prix as well as well as some of the stuff from under here where I took most of the images http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/features/

We could change the OT title maybe too a bit, just an idea but something like Firefox |OT| - Home of the Awesome Bar

It's Firefox's most standout feature so could be worth boasting about in the title :p

Izick

Ghacks said:
Update: Mozilla is preparing to replace the current version with an update. It is not advised to download the release version just yet.

Be careful. Mozilla is preparing to issue an update to that release, so it may not be quite stable yet.

Some images to throw in potentially, maybe make hyperlinks with them instead of just the text. Some of the images may be of no use but it might help to make our OT a bit more aesthetically pleasing.

http://min.us/mJv4MgsPT

And the banner about performance you could stick in about the browser grand prix as well as well as some of the stuff from under here where I took most of the images http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/features/

We could change the OT title maybe too a bit, just an idea but something like Firefox |OT| - Home of the Awesome Bar

It's Firefox's most standout feature so could be worth boasting about in the title :p

Where did you find that "Try Firefox Beta" image? If we could find something that mimicked that for Stable and Aurora, then that would look very nice.

kharma45

This one?

jbrV4wOpI7tJzF.png

It was just on their main page, can't find anything similar for Stable or Aurora.

I can't even find out what font it is to mimic it either.

For stable we could use something like this maybe

ibmyxRE3W0SKmc.png

Izick

This one?

jbrV4wOpI7tJzF.png

It was just on their main page, can't find anything similar for Stable or Aurora.

I can't even find out what font it is to mimic it either.

For stable we could use something like this maybe

ibmyxRE3W0SKmc.png

Yeah, that looks good for those two, I wish we could find something matching for Aurora and Nightly.

Mistake

I had to go back to 7. 10 would take FOREVER to start up. Let me know how you like 11 GAF (after the update).

Dany

Banned
I'd like a proper fullscreen mode with the bookmark toolbar present, wasn't in nightly, the last time i checked.

Izick

Why would you go back to 7? Why not 9?

Like to know as well.

I've had no problems with 10, besides it's UI lag, but that's been a problem for as long as I can remember. Not sure what the problem was, but you should be fine upgrading to 10 now.

Izick

Embrace the change. I actually prefer the new style. Centered makes much more sense than aligned to the left.

I've always liked that actually. I'm excited for 11! I'm going to assume you all are using Windows or Macs, right? Has Mozilla rolled out the process to update Firefox to 11 by going to About Help yet, or did you have to download it manually?

I've been seeing that it's available to people through About Firefox, but I can't seem to figure out how to update it in Ubuntu.

neoanarch

I've always liked that actually. I'm excited for 11! I'm going to assume you all are using Windows or Macs, right? Has Mozilla rolled out the process to update Firefox to 11 by going to About Help yet, or did you have to download it manually?

I've been seeing that it's available to people through About Firefox, but I can't seem to figure out how to update it in Ubuntu.

You know ubuntu is funny like that. To get the beta version you'll probably have to find it in the App Center or add the repo manually. You may have to google some instructions.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.

Yep that's how I got it, using Windows.

I'm really liking the update. It feels like heavy javascript sites like twitter are much snappier.

Madtown_

I can see the UI start to change a little with the new Nightly, new buttons, new tab page looks nice, very speedy too.

And Scriptish is much better than Greasemonkey, can't believe I just found out about it.

Mistake

Why would you go back to 7? Why not 9?
7 was the last one I remembered working well. I've had this problem for quite a long time, where I start up firefox and have enough time for coffee before it works. I'm using a netbook, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'll give 11 a shot once the kinks are worked out

O.DOGG

Fucking piece of shit Flash plugin keeps crashing. It won't make me switch browsers but it's annoying as hell. Tried reinstalling, same difference.

Izick

7 was the last one I remembered working well. I've had this problem for quite a long time, where I start up firefox and have enough time for coffee before it works. I'm using a netbook, so maybe that has something to do with it. I'll give 11 a shot once the kinks are worked out

Hm, I'm not sure. I have a relatively weaker laptop, maybe not netbook weak, but nothing too fancy, and Firefox takes like 5-10 seconds to boot for me. How many different extensions are you using?

Mistake

Hm, I'm not sure. I have a relatively weaker laptop, maybe not netbook weak, but nothing too fancy, and Firefox takes like 5-10 seconds to boot for me. How many different extensions are you using?
That might be it. I'm using 9 extensions. I'll try disabling a couple things I don't use as often or care about, like personas or downthemall, and switch to the newer version now.

Edit: Much better. And personas still works disabled haha. I just cant switch what I have

Izick

Yeah if you could post a screencap that'd be awesome :)

Also, if we're still looking for a Nightly header, what about this?

iLTXMOrJ3jAqA.png

I really like that design, I just want the clickable images to be consistent, you know?

That might be it. I'm using 9 extensions. I'll try disabling a couple things I don't use as often or care about, like personas or downthemall, and switch to the newer version now.

Yeah, try that and see how you fare. I'm going suspect it's way faster.

Izick

iprjWv89DwIYi.gif

Wow, that looks great. I remember they had one before, but it didn't look nearly as polished as that.

EDIT: So I just downloaded FF Nightly for Linux...holy shit is everything so much better. Everything is smoother, especially UI wise, faster, just better.

Madtown_

Yes, the 'new' New Tab page is a HUGE improvement over the last one. Hopefully there aren't any major bugs and it can make its' way to release.
edit: it could still use a little work when the window is small.. it shows the left side of the page

They are working on a new Downloads UI as well.. in-tab rather than new window as it is now.

Jasoco

Banned
Firefox 11 is out and it STILL doesn't have Lion Fullscreen mode? Chrome announced support for Lion Fullscreen as soon as Lion was released, announced a 6 month window and had full Lion support within weeks. Firefox hasn't said a fucking thing about supporting Lion Fullscreen. Seriously?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Quick question, what does it mean when the refresh button keeps flashing when on a page? It happens sometimes here on GAF but never anywhere else. This was on 10.0.2 and I just updated to 11 so I don't know if it'll happen on this one also.

Sagitario

I like the centered alignment of pictures, what I don't like is the background color. Any way to change just that?

What's new on Firefox 11? I can't find or notice anything new [not even in loading improvements, but that's because my internet speed is acting funny tonight].

Izick

I like the centered alignment of pictures, what I don't like is the background color. Any way to change just that?

What's new on Firefox 11? I can't find or notice anything new [not even in loading improvements, but that's because my internet speed is acting funny tonight].

Basically changes the way you look at images, as you said, it added an add-on compatibility checker, solved add-on compatibility issues, added a 3D tilt page inspector function, added a on the fly CSS editor, and of course it makes everything faster and squashed the occasional bugs and glitches.

Nothing terribly exciting for the average user, but a solid update nonetheless.

Top Bottom