• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Historia |OT|: Change the Past to Save the Future

Wizpig

Where to import in Europe? the major websites (VGplus.ca etc.) are out of stock.

What i wonder the most is... will Atlus USA ever restock?

Buttons

Where to import in Europe? the major websites (VGplus.ca etc.) are out of stock.

What i wonder the most is... will Atlus USA ever restock?

I bought mine from a reseller on Amazon Germany. Was pretty expensive though, Atlus only printed two shipments and most were gone pretty fast. @.@
Guess you best bet is to check amazon marketplaces and ebay.

ajim

Just finished this game, absolutely awesome fun, great story, amazing characters and the traversing between timelines was fun, and sometimes confusing as.

I was a bit miffed about about how it ended though...

Just finished this game, absolutely awesome fun, great story, amazing characters and the traversing between timelines was fun, and sometimes confusing as.

I was a bit miffed about about how it ended though...

It is poignantly bittersweet about Stocke's sacrifice...unless you remove the "sacrifice" part by seeing all ~258 nodes via the 12 side-quests

Very Suikodenish.

ajim

I'm off to go see all of the nodes then, because I wasn't too impressed with the sacrifice ending as it did... I kept hoping Stocke wouldn't sacrifice himself, or that the whole gang would get together and use a part of each of their souls to lesser the burden of the sacrifice on Stocke. Oh well. Nodes here I come!

I'm off to go see all of the nodes then, because I wasn't too impressed with the sacrifice ending as it did... I kept hoping Stocke wouldn't sacrifice himself, or that the whole gang would get together and use a part of each of their souls to lesser the burden of the sacrifice on Stocke. Oh well. Nodes here I come!

I liked it; it's one of the reasons Stocke is a King Badass Lead.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It is poignantly bittersweet about Stocke's sacrifice...unless you remove the "sacrifice" part by seeing all ~258 nodes via the 12 side-quests

Very Suikodenish.
I'm glad someone else picked up on that. It's what I was hinting at earlier in my final impressions other than the obvious things that reminded me of the series.

I liked it; it's one of the reasons Stocke is a King Badass Lead.
Yeah, he's one of my favourite RPG leads in a long time.

Yeah, he's one of my favourite RPG leads in a long time.
He get the shit done , is calm ..doesn't need someone to point the obvious to him , skilled at fighting from the start and charismatic ( enough to convince the party in most difficult decisions ) and talented enough to learn to observing

very few jrpg lead are on his caliber

Feep

Banned
Goddammit, I ordered this game on Amazon like two weeks ago.

WHERE ARE YOU GAME

Yes I know there was no post today

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Finally got my hand on Radiant Historia from GameStop. Someone just sold it like three days ago and I just picked it up two days ago.

How many shipments did they send for US? Reason why I didn't buy from Amazon and Ebay. They were so expensive, so I had to depend on Gamestop's site to find one.

(I just saw only two shipments for Europe but just wondering about US)

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Just rented and bought this game from Gamefly. Holy shit, it's amazing. Everything clicks together so well. Atlus shows they are truly the kings of RPGs right now.
Plus, it was only $20 bucks (with a coupon and 10% discount). This is why I keep Gamefly.

Had no idea this game was so hard to find at a reasonable price. Glad I picked it up at launch. Can't take any chances with some of these rpg's. Especially Atlus rpg's.

Feep

Banned
Got my hands on this today, and so far, really enjoying it. High quality writing, too!

One thing, though, that's getting on my nerves is that one timeline affects the other, despite this making ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. Why would telling an informant he can "go" make him appear in another timeline? In that timeline, no one told him he could go, so he logically should never have "gone".

Erghhh. I guess it's just a gameplay mechanic, but it annoys me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Got my hands on this today, and so far, really enjoying it. High quality writing, too!

One thing, though, that's getting on my nerves is that one timeline affects the other, despite this making ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER. Why would telling an informant he can "go" make him appear in another timeline? In that timeline, no one told him he could go, so he logically should never have "gone".

Erghhh. I guess it's just a gameplay mechanic, but it annoys me.

Yeah, its incredibly bizarre and makes absolutely no sense at all.

One thing, though, that's getting on my nerves is that one timeline affects the other, despite this making ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHATSOEVER.

This is (implicitly) dealt with later in the game. Spoilers! No really significant plot points explained here, but it does reference stuff later in the game.

One timeline is real, the other one isn't -- that's why it's called "Alternate Timeline" during the game. Because it's not real, there aren't really two different versions of people, so the version of each character in the Alt. Timeline is really the "same person" as the version in the real universe, and so serious changes of heart, important pieces of news, etc. that people get in the one timeline actually work their way subconsciously into their brain in the other. Later on you specifically solve a few roadblocks by going to the other timeline, convincing a character of something, and coming back to find them equally convinced of it in the first timeline.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
He get the shit done , is calm ..doesn't need someone to point the obvious to him , skilled at fighting from the start and charismatic ( enough to convince the party in most difficult decisions ) and talented enough to learn to observing

very few jrpg lead are on his caliber
This. I urged one of my friends to play this (who hadn't played many modern JRPGs due not preferring the characterization in some of them), and ended up really liking Stocke due to his personality and attitude.

Not to mention that Stocke's already developed as an adult at the beginning of the game, so essentially more facets of his character--whether implicitly or explicitly--are exposed to the player as they progress through the game. I really admire that.

I really wanted to like the game, I liked the characters, the world was decent, the concepts were mature, and the battle system was interesting, which is pretty much what I want in an RPG, but I just didn't find the overall product compelling. It was a great idea, but the execution just seemed tedious, and I wasn't having much fun having to cover much of the same ground in two timelines.

Hey guys, real LTTP here. People tell me this game is the real deal. Thinking about picking up a DSXL for this game. How it look on the big screen?

Is this game the real deal? As good as people say?

vareon

Hey guys, real LTTP here. People tell me this game is the real deal. Thinking about picking up a DSXL for this game. How it look on the big screen?

Is this game the real deal? As good as people say?

Depends. What is a "real deal"? What are you expecting from this game? If you love SNES/PS era JRPGS then you'll love the game.

vareon

Then yes you're going to like it. It's a really solid game. It has some flaws, but you'll like it if you like older generation JRPGs. Why an XL? 3DS is a better option if you want to play DS games. I don't know how much XL costs now though.

Anyway I never put a final impression of the game. Here's mine:

- The character and story are pretty well-done. It's not your typical angsty teenagers saving the world story. Stocke is mature, able to think about decisions clearly (you helped him anyway). And Eruca <3

- Time-travelling aspect is clever. You have to replay some events and gameplay, but the game made sure it's not too tedious by offering a skip button and some abilities.

- Battle is good, you have to think about your tactics and skills you're using. Spamming attacks will get you nowhere.

- The only thing lacking for me is the world. Since the main focus of the game is the story instead of adventures, there's not much locales to see.

- Music is mostly good, but due to the lack of places in the world, you'll hear the same music often.

In the end, I like it. Hopefully we get RPGs like this again for the 3DS.

TheExodu5

Banned
Then yes you're going to like it. It's a really solid game. It has some flaws, but you'll like it if you like older generation JRPGs. Why an XL? 3DS is a better option if you want to play DS games. I don't know how much XL costs now though.

No way. DSi XL is far better when it comes to DS games. The big screen is awesome, and no scaling like with the 3DS.

Damnit, I have no idea if I should plunge $60-70 for a complete copy of this game from ebay or wait to see if Atlus perhaps does a reprint. Totally should of picked this up at launch :(

Anyway I never put a final impression of the game. Here's mine:

- The character and story are pretty well-done. It's not your typical angsty teenagers saving the world story. Stocke is mature, able to think about decisions clearly (you helped him anyway). And Eruca <3

- Time-travelling aspect is clever. You have to replay some events and gameplay, but the game made sure it's not too tedious by offering a skip button and some abilities.

- Battle is good, you have to think about your tactics and skills you're using. Spamming attacks will get you nowhere.

- The only thing lacking for me is the world. Since the main focus of the game is the story instead of adventures, there's not much locales to see.

- Music is mostly good, but due to the lack of places in the world, you'll hear the same music often.

In the end, I like it. Hopefully we get RPGs like this again for the 3DS.

I seen DS games on 3DS and they look bad. Plus I like a big screen. I think I might of lucked out and bought the game new for 35 bucks. Now to find a deal on the DS its self.

Evlar

Banned
Got a used copy from Gamestop in good condition, with box and manual, for $27. Not bad at all. Based on the save data it looked like the previous owner gave up after 2 hours without finishing the prologue.

Got a used copy from Gamestop in good condition, with box and manual, for $27. Not bad at all. Based on the save data it looked like the previous owner gave up after 2 hours without finishing the prologue.

but ...why ?? That's stupid behavior ... Good for you that you found a copy , anyway

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Same here. I got mine perfect condition. The guy only played for a hour and thirteen minutes.

ihasaflavour

Neo Member
Bought this game today, and I'm about 4 hours in. MAN! What an incredible game! So easily passed by when it was launched. This game would totally fit in the glory days of the SNES. The music is totally increidble. The combat bothered me a little in the begining, felt very boring. Now that the game has opened up, it's a very interesting mechanic, and I'm in love!

I hope all RPG lovers out there have, or are going to play this insane game. It's wonderful.

ihasaflavour

Neo Member
When going back through certain progressive timeline changes, is there anyway I could bring certain characters through?

I hate grinding my main 3, then hitting a roadblock, having to go to another timeline, only to have a character removed, and replaced with a MUCH lower leveled character.

When going back through certain progressive timeline changes, is there anyway I could bring certain characters through?

I hate grinding my main 3, then hitting a roadblock, having to go to another timeline, only to have a character removed, and replaced with a MUCH lower leveled character.

All characters are present in both timelines and they keep their levels Use those moments with différent casts to level them up untill you gather everyone ( it will happen at some point )

Phatcorns

I'm about ten hours in, should I keep going? There has to be a payoff, right? I'm just not as patient anymore for the slow burn and I really want to know what happens next, but the drip feed is making it hard to play when there are so many other games out there to play.

Labadal

I was playing this game around this time last year and never got around to beating it though I got very far into it.

I really regret not only getting distracted but also even selling the game.

Going to buy a CE from Ebay and get to it.

You didn't beat the game? I should beat you! :p

Okay, I just finished this earlier tonight and I loved it. I can't imagine playing this without [Party Member and skills]
Aht and her incredibly useful trap spells (not to mention the Polaris and Lunatic buffs)
in my party. And I love that Poison attacks are useful against bosses, particularly [Boss type]
those giant spiders
. In too many other JRPGs, bosses are immune to status conditions.

There's just one question I had about a certain villain: [Ending spoilers]
Do they ever explain what happened to Hugo in the Standard History? The ending shows that Rosch has become the General of Alistel and Raul is the Prime Minister, so it's suggested that Hugo has fallen out of favor with the war over. I mean, I can fill in the blanks and presume that the euphoria Hugo felt when Stocke killed him in the Alternate History bled over into the SH and quelled his ambitions (along with the Alistellians lost faith in Noah crossing over), but does the game ever explicitly say what happens to him? Was there a sidequest or dialogue that I missed (I ended with 211/236, so I know I missed things)?

did you get a choice during the endings ? if not you've indeed missed things ..but on HUgo in particular , this is open to interpretations ..

And yeah aht is a excellent party member
except during the final battle

Top Bottom