• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Historia |OT|: Change the Past to Save the Future

did you get a choice during the endings ? if not you've indeed missed things ..but on HUgo in particular , this is open to interpretations ..

And yeah aht is a excellent party member
except during the final battle

Yeah, I missed that whole final scene with
Heiss and Stocke in Historia. I watched it just now on Youtube.

Even without the trap spells Aht was still pretty useful as a healer/buffer during the fight with Apocrypha. I played it safe and left damaging the boss up to Stocke and Gafka, while Super Healing and Mana Regen-ing with Aht. Probably took longer than it could have, but at least I wasn't in any real danger of losing.

Kerrinck

About 4 hours in and have a couple of questions.
How do I get sidequests in this game? Do I just go around talking to people in town?
Also,
I am at sand fortress right now and it seems I need to find a Satyro so I can have the power to see invisible things. Anyone have any idea where I can find it?

About 4 hours in and have a couple of questions.
How do I get sidequests in this game? Do I just go around talking to people in town?
Also,
I am at sand fortress right now and it seems I need to find a Satyro so I can have the power to see invisible things. Anyone have any idea where I can find it?

most of the things you need to progess in a timeline are found in the other.
( Stuck ? go to the other timeline ..that's the golden rule to progress in this game.)
Yep side quests are gained by talking ..you'll probably get an entry in the book ( that will update itself )

MicH

I just started this after having it lying in my shelves for a month or two, and I have to say, that this game is amazing. I'm only in the middle of chapter 2 but I am hooked. The timelines the hopping back and forth to change the outcome. Very well done!

Sorry to bump this topic.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I have about 6+ hours in this game and I had a basic question: does it ever pick up? I mean, I have probably had 1 hour of actual game play to 5 hours of clicking through boring dialogue. I haven't played a JRPG in recent me,or that had this much tally talk (all crap about staying alive and be safe from my soldier friends...we're supposed to be soldiers, not wimps!). I have started thinking about shelving it because I am getting bored with little battling and exploring and also I keep having to replay the same levels so many times for story sake. It feels awfully bloated even this early on.

So...does the game ever open up a bit? Or can I expect 10 minutes of game play to very hour of dialog throughout? I want to find a good RPG to get me back into jrpgs but so far I have been very disappointed. The batting is fun but I wish I could actually get to play the game for a bit.

I have about 6+ hours in this game and I had a basic question: does it ever pick up? I mean, I have probably had 1 hour of actual game play to 5 hours of clicking through boring dialogue. I haven't played a JRPG in recent me,or that had this much tally talk (all crap about staying alive and be safe from my soldier friends...we're supposed to be soldiers, not wimps!). I have started thinking about shelving it because I am getting bored with little battling and exploring and also I keep having to replay the same levels so many times for story sake. It feels awfully bloated even this early on.

So...does the game ever open up a bit? Or can I expect 10 minutes of game play to very hour of dialog throughout? I want to find a good RPG to get me back into jrpgs but so far I have been very disappointed. The batting is fun but I wish I could actually get to play the game for a bit.

Uh...I don't follow. Or I don't want to, one.

are you sure you know what you want from rpgs ?
Are you sure you're playing radiant historia ?

For the 1 hour of gameplay and 5 hours of boring dialog , i'm confused ..the start of the game does have some dialog, but it is nowhere as heavy as you imply .
From the moment where you get the team and your first mission to the moment when you reach another set of dialog , there is plenty of gameplay in there ..
Also the game have plenty of locales ..sure many places get revisited many times but there is always something new that happens.This is a given considering this is a time travel story.

Furthermore you can , once you get "vanish" skip the fighting and it render the backtrack complain useless ..as the game give you the option to ignore the dongeons you've already done if you want to.

I really fail to see how you can be disapointed with so many options the game throw at you and the dual storyline, especially since you claim to enjoy the battle system

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
True, I may be hyperbolizing a bit, but my issue is that I want to play the game. I wound up setting it aside because I was frustrated that I was wasting so much time reading instead of playing. I have played RPGs/jrpgs for decades so I know what I am getting myself into but I didn't think it took this long to really get into the meat of a game. The dungeons/areas I have been able to play have been quite short ans I have started to fear triggering another cutscene with each screen exit.

Basically I don't like the character personalities yet. Stocke is fine but everyone else acts like children instead of soldiers. It is an absurd complaint, I know. But my suspension of disbelief is being affected, which is rare for me.

Anyway, I put it aside to play Nostalgia, and in the first hour I had more actual gameplay than RH. It maybe isn't in the same league but I spent an entire car trip one day (wife was driving) doing nothing but pressing A to advance the "story". That is fine, but my question was just whether or not the game picks up soon and throws you into some more meat instead of trite exposition. Right now it seems really lopsided, but I will give it another shot soon.

Javier

At what point in the game are you? There are definitely longer dungeons later on, but the way the game is setup does require some heavy storytelling to properly introduce the story to the player. Don't forget, you have to keep track of two split storylines here.

The characters definitely grow up a lot through the game. It's gradual, but you can definitely tell the difference by the time you near the end. Except maybe Aht, but to be fair, she IS a little girl.

There's plenty of gameplay and battling in the game, and as I said there are plenty of longer dungeons later on, but the story never really stops flowing, so the game is quite text-heavy all the way through. Not that I think this is a bad thing, as I thought the story was quite engaging and very well-written.

True, I may be hyperbolizing a bit, but my issue is that I want to play the game. I wound up setting it aside because I was frustrated that I was wasting so much time reading instead of playing. I have played RPGs/jrpgs for decades so I know what I am getting myself into but I didn't think it took this long to really get into the meat of a game. The dungeons/areas I have been able to play have been quite short ans I have started to fear triggering another cutscene with each screen exit.

Basically I don't like the character personalities yet. Stocke is fine but everyone else acts like children instead of soldiers. It is an absurd complaint, I know. But my suspension of disbelief is being affected, which is rare for me.

Anyway, I put it aside to play Nostalgia, and in the first hour I had more actual gameplay than RH. It maybe isn't in the same league but I spent an entire car trip one day (wife was driving) doing nothing but pressing A to advance the "story". That is fine, but my question was just whether or not the game picks up soon and throws you into some more meat instead of trite exposition. Right now it seems really lopsided, but I will give it another shot soon.

This is perhaps one of the worst games to say this about.

I didn't think a thread for this game would still be active.

That doesn't really make sense when you play more. Stocke and Rosch's nurse friend (I don't remember her name, I've only started playing again after a couple months) shows concern not because she's the archetypical "chronically worried female friend," but because they're members of the military in a country at war and she knows they could be grievously wounded at any time. Stocke and Rosch don't just put their hands behind their heads and say "AW GEE, WE'LL BE FINE, YOU WORRY TOO MUCH" because they know what could happen. Stocke is also actually able to draw conclusions for himself, rather than stopping to comment on everything as so many JRPG characters do. The characters actually talk like people, as opposed to typical RPG dialogue where everybody talks themselves in circles.

Sora_N

Just got email from Atlus, game is $24.99 on Amazon.com now. Still $27.99 on Amazon.ca. I picked up a copy off BST last week for a bit less than .com so I'm still happy. Just wanted to spread the news.

TheContact

Just got email from Atlus, game is $24.99 on Amazon.com now. Still $27.99 on Amazon.ca. I picked up a copy off BST last week for a bit less than .com so I'm still happy. Just wanted to spread the news.

Just picked it up for $16 on amazon in the states, came out to $21 after shipping. can't wait to play this, I have never even heard of it before but lately there's been talk of it, and can't beat that price

Started playing this game after getting it during the most recent sale.

So far, it's pretty fun. I've gotten into Chapter 1 for both timelines, and I'm enjoying the jumping between timelines (who knew the next game I played after VLR would have another mechanic like that) and the battle system is a lot of fun. Story is pretty solid so far, and the sountrack is great. Shimomura always does fantastic work.

Picked up this game from Amazon because of the recent sale announcement. About 12 hours in and I think this game is incredible. It's been a long time since I played a game as compelling as Chrono Trigger. Apologies if that's an overused statement in this topic. :p

It's nice to have a battle system with a decent level of difficulty.

It has also been awhile since I played a JRPG that wasn't oversaturated with maids and moe crap.

Picked up this game from Amazon because of the recent sale announcement. About 12 hours in and I think this game is incredible. It's been a long time since I played a game as compelling as Chrono Trigger. Apologies if that's an overused statement in this topic. :p

It's nice to have a battle system with a decent level of difficulty.

It has also been awhile since I played a JRPG that wasn't oversaturated with maids and moe crap.

There we go. Good man.

Croc

Banned
I was pumped to get and talk about this after ordering it during that Amazon sale, then I ended up getting banned the same day I got it hahah

Anyways, I think I'm nearing the end of it now. I'm on Chapter 6 in both timelines. There's a guide I found online that I'm loosely checking every once in awhile to see if I missed any major items or sidequests and I'm dumbfounded at the recommended levels it has. At where I am now it recommends I be about 20 level higher than I am, but I feel like I'm doing just fine. My highest level character is Stocke at 44 and my lowest is Rosch at 34. Right now I'm going back to Alistel after having beaten
Viola
. Do you guys remember what level you were at around that point?

Another thought about the game is that the main female characters are really disappointing. I was pumped for some strong female characters early on in the game but as it went on the two main ones (Raynie and Viola) began to fall deeper and deeper into stereotypical female archetypes. Raynie starts out a cool and strong mercenary (just like Marco) but as the plot moves on she just gets overly emotional and can't seem to let go of what happened years ago. Then to add insult to injury, in a later sidequest she
reveals that she's fallen in love with Stocke and asks him to stop fighting and they can run away and live happily ever after together
. After that happened I was just thinking, "Are you fucking serious?"

Viola was just as disappointing because up until a certain part, she was this badass general who is known as "The Valkyrie," because she's so badass. Then suddenly at the end
when she discovers the truth about Noah, she flip flops and becomes incredibly weak willed because she doesn't have the courage to change anything. Hugo was just using her as a puppet through Noah the whole time and she's just like, "okay that sucks but I'll still fight for you," despite not having any reason to still fight on Hugo's side

Anyways, still a great game and probably in my top 5 DS games. I highly recommend it. It's pushed itself up to the #2 spot on my 3DS activity log in a matter of days.

it's been a while since i played but i think viola
knew that she couldnot change things by herself from outside and choose despite the obvious events in front of her to be inside so she could help , since wounded as she was , it would have been hard for her to influence things ..i didn't find her weak but mor elike aware of her place

Croc

Banned
it's been a while since i played but i think viola
knew that she couldnot change things by herself from outside and choose despite the obvious events in front of her to be inside so she could help , since wounded as she was , it would have been hard for her to influence things ..i didn't find her weak but mor elike aware of her place

I dunno, I still feel like that's a pretty shit reason to try and kill your friends.

Anyways, I took a few days break after playing Cave Story + and am in the Final Chapter of AH right now. Heiss is revealing a bunch of stuff and it just seems kind of thrown together really quickly.
Heiss actually being the King's brother who just up and left and became a high ranking military member in Alistel without anyone noticing was stretching it. And then Stocke being Ernst (which was not surprising given all of the hints) and also the split soul of Eruca was just like...okay. As I said it was totally expected but in the context it just seemed not really thought out. You think Stocke would realize something was up if he had no memory of anything except the last couple of years. I think something was mentioned about Heiss altering memories but that just seemed super cliche like, the bad guy has the counter to the legendary item that the protagonist has, but the bad guy's can do whatever he wants whenever it benefits the story and the protagonist's is limited.

I also feel like the game wants me to be a much higher level than I am (or at least was). I had to do a decent amount of grinding before I felt like I was appropriately leveled for the final areas with new skills and whatnot. I feel like I should be able to handle everything now, hopefully with a bit of ease (I'm at level 51-54 right now).

The story isn't bad by any means, in fact I think it's quite good overall. It reminds me a bit of Puella Magi Madoka Magica which is a great thing IMO. These are just little nitpicky things that stick out to me while I'm playing through.

Edit: Currently at 216/236 nodes completed, everyone has all of their secret skills learned. I think I probably have more regular skills to learn so I think I'm going to go grind some more before going in for the end
the two timelines have merged again where I am

Heiss
carefully manipulated history to achive his position. Think about it ..with the back chronicles, all he had to do was to go back to some point in the timeline and kill whenever resposible or collect evidence against him ....stuff you've been doing yourself in the game since you've got the white chronicle yourself.
He's been doing it for soo long that he aged a lot in the process .. that explaination make sense for me.

Since chapter 3 it's obvious someone got powers equivalent to yours and even the talks between stoke and heiss ( when he get back from the initial ambush ) hints at it ..( not to mention that heiss possess vanish ). There is even a scene between the chronicles keepers where the hero ask about heiss to hint fruther about that

When the whole game put you into that direction , it's hardly something hard to digest ..the hints were there ..including stuff about erica

Viola
was playing the bad guy role on purpose since for her she was doomed to die anyway it's clear when you take into account chapter 2 and the final true chapter ( or even the true end ). She resolved to not be a puppet since her introduction and if the party couldn't defeat her in her weak state, they surely couldn't defeat the real mastermind .it's even hinted that she wasn't serious about it [her betrayal ] several times too.

Croc

Banned
Heiss
carefully manipulated history to achive his position. Think about it ..with the back chronicles, all he had to do was to go back to some point in the timeline and kill whenever resposible or collect evidence against him ....stuff you've been doing yourself in the game since you've got the white chronicle yourself.
He's been doing it for soo long that he aged a lot in the process .. that explaination make sense for me.

Since chapter 3 it's obvious someone got powers equivalent to yours and even the talks between stoke and heiss ( when he get back from the initial ambush ) hints at it ..( not to mention that heiss possess vanish ). There is even a scene between the chronicles keepers where the hero ask about heiss to hint fruther about that

When the whole game put you into that direction , it's hardly something hard to digest ..the hints were there ..including stuff about erica

Viola
was playing the bad guy role on purpose since for her she was doomed to die anyway it's clear when you take into account chapter 2 and the final true chapter ( or even the true end ). She resolved to not be a puppet since her introduction and if the party couldn't defeat her in her weak state, they surely couldn't defeat the real mastermind .it's even hinted that she wasn't serious about it [her betrayal ] several times too.

Oh no I understand the Heiss stuff, that's the stuff I really like and was comparing to Madoka Magica. It's just the way that it happens in the story felt really shoehorned in.

And same with the Eruca stuff. I said it was totally expected but just the way they present it seemed a bit off.

Anyways now I'm fighting the final boss. Just laughed out loud a bit cause right before the final fight
Heiss is wondering why he can't win, and then Stocke literally tells him how and why he isn't getting stronger. So then Heiss is like, "Okay I'll do that then," and suddenly Stocke is like, "Oh wait no don't do that!!"

It just seemed pretty dumb that Stocke would straight up tell Heiss how to win and then be surprised/mad when Heiss does exactly what he said.

I'll edit my thoughts on the ending after I beat the boss here. Hopefully I don't have a problem with this game like I do with a lot of RPG's where I don't have a problem with the game at all but I can't for the life of me beat the final boss.

Edit: Thoughts on ending below:

I really liked the ending. I thought for awhile Stocke wasn't going to have to actually die and really would have disliked that. It'd totally have been a cop-out ending. I also liked the Kiel and the other soldiers were brought back, I really like Kiel a lot and thought he didn't need to die.

Oh never mind it wasn't over Heiss sacrificed himself instead of Stocke ugh :|

About 8 hours in, according to the in-game counter, and I'm loving the game. Sure, the time travel and the universe hopping creates all sorts of paradoxes (the side quest featuring the artist Kaizan, for example, creates all sorts of problems when hopping back and forth through time), but the story flows well enough to be engrossing. The combat system is now getting complex enough to keep me going thanks to enemies who can power up the grid, which forces me to move enemies around.

And the game's music has the soul of a game with a much bigger budget.

johnsmith

remember me
Ugh, wish I could find this game for cheaper than 50 dollars anywhere. Need something new to play on the XL.

Just checked the prices. Holy crap. I guess that 2nd printing sold out too. So glad I was able to get this for $16 new a couple of months back from amazon.

Just checked the prices. Holy crap. I guess that 2nd printing sold out too. So glad I was able to get this for $16 new a couple of months back from amazon.

Good find, my backlog was pretty massive at the time, I just completely forgot about this. Oh well, if anyone is looking to get rid of their copy, can let me know. xD

Oh and awesome avatar, Love me some FFT <3

TheExodu5

Banned
Nearing the end now, I think. Late Chapter 6 SH, and Chapter 4 AH.

The combat is definitely getting tiring. I just run past most of the encounters at this point. I'm about level 35. Hopefully I don't hit a wall.

I finished with almost 33 hours clocked in and all nodes completed. I was running from optional combat by the end because I wanted to conserve MP and to save time since I was already so overpowered. The final boss, with his three stages, was a pretty standard JRPG boss, but I was impressed at the sense of scale they achieved by zooming out a little to show how big the boss was. I was also impressed that we never actually got to fight the scheming Granorgonite generals; instead, they were disposed of in cutscenes in the standard and the alternate universe.

Though I was running from combat by the end, the game gave me enough new moves to build impressive combos that amplify the amount of damage I could do, which made combat at least a little more interesting. I wish I could reorganize each character's skills list.

I'm not completely sold on Stocke's character development. It might make sense, but it actually made the character much less interesting over the course of the story. I liked when he was laconic and grumpy; I liked him less when he was a goody goody in the end.

My team was usually Stocke, Aht, and Eruca, with Gafka occasionally put in to create hyper combos. Rosch and Raynie were basically neglected. Marco would at least see some action in the final dungeon because he, like Stocke, had push assaults that could go in a variety of directions. Even Rosch never mastered Left Assault.

Top Bottom