• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| April 2017 - Now Featuring Superstar Artist Brett Booth - APRIL FOALS!

arkon

Aww, what am I missing out on? I didn't know this was one of *those* books. Pretty Deadly neglected to include a written prose thing that ran in the back of the first series that explained the origins of two of the characters in the book haha. I mean, the characters in question are basically tricksters so it isn't too important why they do what they do, but it's like eh. Thankfully they collected it for volume 2. For me it's just like, I'm literally never going to pick up the monthly, exclusive back matter or not, so it's just a pure punishment, despite all the money I might spend to support a creator or a publisher etc (not really sure where these ideas originate from).

I read the single issues cover to cover and don't remember there being anything vital in the backups and I'm pretty sure they stopped doing them at some point in the run. I think it was mostly a chance for them to showcase the work of friends or people they admired and it was in the form of 4 or 5-page short stories that were unrelated to the Prophet story they were telling. It did introduce me to some cool artists though like Fil Barlow.

As for why, for a more regular monthly cashflow? Rather than waiting for that 6-12 month cash injection from trades. I don't know the economics of it though so I don't know which they get a bigger cut from.

As for why, for a more regular monthly cashflow? Rather than waiting for that 6-12 month cash injection from trades. I don't know the economics of it though so I don't know which they get a bigger cut from.

Don't get me wrong man, I totally appreciate why it's so important for these guys to get a monthly cheque, and in that regard I definitely think giving as much bang for a readers buck each month with extra content, and for exposure, is a great idea. I just think then adding a negative side to it for trade readers isnt the right way forward, plus it makes me sad :p I can't honestly say there's been a book yet that cut something that really harmed the experience so it's more of a niggle on my end, nothing I'd go crazy about.

arkon

Don't get me wrong man, I totally appreciate why it's so important for these guys to get a monthly cheque, and in that regard I definitely think giving as much bang for a readers buck each month with extra content, and for exposure, is a great idea. I just think then adding a negative side to it for trade readers isnt the right way forward, plus it makes me sad :p I can't honestly say there's been a book yet that cut something that really harmed the experience so it's more of a niggle on my end, nothing I'd go crazy about.

I get you. They should do it the way Wasteland did it. Normal trade paperbacks and then oversized hardcovers with that backmatter included with other extras.

If you want to read that stuff though it's present in the digital single issues of Prophet as well (I just checked). It'll be on sale at some point for 60 to 69p an issue on comixology. Also bear in mind that Image offer DRM-free backups. I know it's not ideal though.

Flash 21 was okay, I loved all the classic background easter eggs and call backs. Really feels like across the two issues we haven't really moved the story on further than the original rebirth issue though. All the twists it thinks its dropping we already know
, someone mysterious is killing people off (dr manhattan), years of the past have been taken, the button is connected to dr manhattan and there trying to bring the justice society back.
. Were we not already told all this in the original rebirth issue. I am excited for a
revisit to flashpoint universe though with bruce included this time. Would love to see him meet up with the different Martha Wayne.

Maybe I'm overthinking it but would a lot of the items in the justice league watchtower vault background spread not have been from the lost years and not exist in the new 52 into rebirth continuity.

Sad to hear Motor Girl is ending on issue 10, think the story could have expanded out a long way if they would given the aliens a bit more depth. Could even have Sam going out to space with them.

Injustice 2

God damn I'm glad Tom Taylor is back on Injustice. Only three issues in but it's been amazing so far.

Supergirl Being Super

Continue to really enjoy this. I like the feel of a Kara that's been on earth since she was a little girl and is more human teenager than what the current Supergirl is doing.

The Old Guard

Took til the third issue, but this series is actually starting to be interesting. It still doesn't feel like there is much actually going on, but this issue was actually fun to read. Was nice getting the backstory for a different character than the lead and the issue actually felt like it had more than one character in it for the first time.

Ninjak

A little sudden conclusion to Darque, but I like that the other deadly guys ended up released and are out there for later. Was bummed when it seemed like they were dispatched so fast.

Midnighter #1 - #12: Didn't enjoy this at all. There were a few highlights. Deadshot's diss (
off-brand Batman
),
Prometheus reveal - though more in a "I know this guy from Morrison's JLA!!" than what was done in the book itself
, and BKV's issue. The art, especially in the first few issues, was very weird. They might have been going for dynamism but it just felt like that taken 2 gif with 37 shots to jump a fence. I have been generally frustrated by the over reliance on the "twenty four hours earlier" type of narrative but this book turned that up to 11.

Waiting for the floppy to come has me so frustrated. Glad hearing that it's good.
Edit: Also happy to see it's bi-monthly.

I would love to wait until I had a lot built up like I did with the first couple years of the series, but seeing Tom hype it up on twitter has made it hard.

Aizo

Banned
Do many of you have Marvel Unlimited but also buy issues of some series when they release?
God damn. Wish I could be reading Xmen Blue, but 5 bucks? No way. Only for Black Monday Murders did I pay that much, and that was due to splitting costs with my comic partner.

Messi

Do many of you have Marvel Unlimited but also buy issues of some series when they release?
God damn. Wish I could be reading Xmen Blue, but 5 bucks? No way. Only for Black Monday Murders did I pay that much, and that was due to splitting costs with my comic partner.

#1 was $5, #2 onwards are $4

I keep up on Jason Aaron books and Star Wars books even though I have MU.

I'm also going to see Spencer's Cap run through to the end, because I was already invested really far into it when I got MU, and I don't want to take a 6-month break. Especially when assholes on the internet think it's totally fine to openly spoil anything Spencer does because they don't like him.

shingi70

Banned

As soon as I subbed to Marvel Unlimited I dropped everything marvel that wasn't star wars related.

Vyer

So I got a tablet again, ready to jump back in to some superior digital comics.

Looked and the last time I was (regularly) buying comics was almost exactly a year ago, June '16. I've read a few things here or there since, but not much. Trying to figure out what to catch up on. I did go ahead and finish out Chew, but now what....

I suppose I could pick up some Rebirth trades now that they're available.

Got Mouse Guard and Geis through, they should see me through the weekend. Really nice *classy* collections, properly bound at the spine, the Mouse Guards are square format and Geis is regular height but a good inch wider than norm pages etc looking forward to reading these.

Thinking about maybe switching it up and catching up on some superhero stuff once I'm through everything I have left, still haven't read any of Coates Black Panther stuff.

Update from Snyder on twitter regarding Wytches (AmVamp pls)

We're working on it right now! 2 new stories, - 1 50pp. stand alone, and one full Wytches 2 arc. 1st starting end of summer, 2nd in winter.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
So I got a tablet again, ready to jump back in to some superior digital comics.

Looked and the last time I was (regularly) buying comics was almost exactly a year ago, June '16. I've read a few things here or there since, but not much. Trying to figure out what to catch up on. I did go ahead and finish out Chew, but now what....

I suppose I could pick up some Rebirth trades now that they're available.

Manifest Destiny of course!

The PAD thing is really ridiculous. I mean, he has his story, but he's also had steady consistent work for the last 8 years (how long he chose to skip paying tax), including getting the pick to be the guy to write the dark tower adaptations. Sure, he's dug himself a hole, you can reach out to the IRS and make a deal about payment schedule etc but asking the fans to pay it is pretty uncool.

The PAD thing is really ridiculous. I mean, he has his story, but he's also had steady consistent work for years, including getting the pick to be the guy to write the dark tower adaptations. Sure, he's dug himself a hole, you can reach out to the IRS and make a deal about payment schedule etc but asking the fans to pay it is pretty uncool.

It's not the first dick thing he's done. He blamed the fans for the new X-Factor book's failure.

Doom Patrol

Feels like this ending was a little rushed, but I still enjoy every minute of it. This whole issue just felt like it flew.

Edit: We do get sort of an answer as to who was in the spacesuit in the previous issue though, which is nice.

Batman Beyond

Why the hell is Terry being a complete baby all of a sudden? I feel like the whole life vs Batman thing is tired and really doesn't make sense with Terry in this case. He literally just got back to work. Bat signal hasn't even been around forever, but let's ignore the very first time it's used since you're back in the suit.

It's not the first dick thing he's done. He blamed the fans for the new X-Factor book's failure.

Dude is a mess, he went way OOT about romani stuff at a panel recently too. The new Scarlet Spider book is probably just things that pop into his head that he feels like doing but can't get a go fund me for.

Meanwhile I tried to make payment arrangements with the IRS but they didn't last, because throughout the year I'd send in the payments but then on April 15 I had no money to pay the income tax because I'd already sent them all my spare money.

Then they seemed to just forget about it. Which was great. - PAD

lol.

Yeah. That happened. It gets on ny nerves when people go begging for money from fans due to something they spent years and years digging their own grave over.

Apparently his wife took a load of his money before she left him and he then didn't pay any tax for years. He's taking donations from fans to pay the massive bill he's now been given.

That's is actually amusing. I can't even imagine how he managed to do this lol.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
The PAD thing is really ridiculous. I mean, he has his story, but he's also had steady consistent work for the last 8 years (how long he chose to skip paying tax), including getting the pick to be the guy to write the dark tower adaptations. Sure, he's dug himself a hole, you can reach out to the IRS and make a deal about payment schedule etc but asking the fans to pay it is pretty uncool.

If people are willing to help I don't have a problem with it. I'm not giving him any money though.

0476a145d14eb247aeef946afd51dddf.png

Man, Taskmaster lives in a really nice-looking town. It seems comfortable.

If people are willing to help I don't have a problem with it. I'm not giving him any money though.

Yea. If people want to, then at the end of the day, you're right, it's their problem. I think as the guy making the gofundme or whatever, he needs to think if it's an appropriate cause to ask his fans to fund him for, these guys can have a powerful effect on folks and it shouldn't be abused, but I do agree, at the end of the day people make their choice.

Wonder if something ended up having to be changed. Seems like a late delay and seeing King talk about working on it every once in a while made it seem like it'd been done for a while.

This is such an excellent overview of the original Ultimates by Millar, Hitch and Martin
That said, a decade and a half after it exploded onto stands, its artistic and thematic legacy is much harder to parse. The Ultimates is, in a word, offensive — and that’s what makes it one of the most important superhero stories of all time. For all its flaws — and they are many — in our current entertainment and political climate, the story is perhaps more vital than ever.

Top Bottom