• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-Game XMB! (No, it's still not here)

Zaptruder

Banned
Alcahest said:
In-game XMB is dumb; less memory for games on a machine that doesn't have plenty to start with is a dumb move.
Like Konami giving in on the MGS4 HDD installation, reducing it to multiple small installs when 1 single huge install would have been so much better...
Companies shouldn't do everything "fans" are asking, especially when those "fans" don't know sh*t.

You know how everyone is quoting you and laughing at you?

Protip; memory usage for the PS3 has become more efficient overtime.

You should be glad that Sony are listening to your advice!

Crisis

Banned
drknite said:
I thought they would show the whole XMB, but only certain stuff would be accessible.

Correct. You can see all of the XMB but that doesn't mean you can USE all of it. For example you won't be able to play a video or anything.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Alcahest said:
In-game XMB is dumb; less memory for games on a machine that doesn't have plenty to start with is a dumb move.
Like Konami giving in on the MGS4 HDD installation, reducing it to multiple small installs when 1 single huge install would have been so much better...
Companies shouldn't do everything "fans" are asking, especially when those "fans" don't know sh*t.

:lol

wtf is this shyt?!?

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
I hope the blog at least shows what games support the trophies once its finally out.

drknite

Can't wait to eat some Kobe tubesteak
TONX said:
I hope the blog at least shows what games support the trophies once its finally out.
Nah, that's like giving a child a bite of chocolate bar, with he or she just wanting more.

Alcahest

Roxas : lol wut
darkressurection : You must be one of those "fans" who doesn't know shit.
chubigans : Ahahahaah!
evilone : Wait ...what!!!
Crisis : What in the fuck are you talking about?
Zaptruder : You know how everyone is quoting you and laughing at you?
g35twinturbo : wtf is this shyt?!?

All i'm saying is, I hope in-game xmb access isn't going to slow anything down during games. But i fear it's going to. There is so much RAM available to the system and dedicated to games. If in-game XMB takes a slice off this, we may see slow downs (when receiving messages in the background, when a dlna device gets connected or some other operations the xmb usually does in the background..)
If it works this way, which i fear, it will be the sole fault of those who've been begging for the feature.
It's all I'm saying. I hope i'm wrong btw.

Crisis

Banned
All i'm saying is, I hope in-game xmb access isn't going to slow anything down during games. But i fear it's going to. There is so much RAM available to the system and dedicated to games. If in-game XMB takes a slice off this, we may see slow downs (when receiving messages in the background, when a dlna device gets connected or some other operations the xmb usually does in the background..)
If it works this way, which i fear, it will be the sole fault of those who've been begging for the feature.

You do know that ever since before the PS3 even launched that Sony set up a reserved amount of RAM for EXACTLY this purpose right?

Alcahest said:
Roxas : lol wut
darkressurection : You must be one of those "fans" who doesn't know shit.
chubigans : Ahahahaah!
evilone : Wait ...what!!!
Crisis : What in the fuck are you talking about?
Zaptruder : You know how everyone is quoting you and laughing at you?
g35twinturbo : wtf is this shyt?!?

It's alright, dude. I aint going to rail on you. Just a little more information will help ease ya'.

In-game XMB is currently being devised with working with the reduced memory footprint of newer Software Development Kits. Devs are getting more ram to work with overtime, as the original memory footprint in RAM has been said to be reduced by about half since the PS3's release and the PS3 has been upgraded with software features ever since too.

It's not like Sony can suddenly release a new lower RAM usage SDK and then devs find out XMB screws over the RAM allotment given to devs, they already know what they can work with before hand. And with some devs the newer SDK gave them space to do more things, like Burnout Paradise devs were allowed to add in 1080i support in their engine because the SDK released after the game was out gave enough extra RAM overhead to add it in.

Sony is streamlining and making more efficient use of the RAM with added features, giving it back bit by bit to devs ever since the PS3 first came out, not taking it away from them, so no need to worry.

lupinko

Crisis said:
You do know that ever since before the PS3 even launched that Sony set up a reserved amount of RAM for EXACTLY this purpose right?

Given what was posted, I don't think he/she knew about that.

Alcahest

HomerSimpson-Man said:
It's alright, dude. I aint going to rail on you. Just a little more information will help ease ya'.

In-game XMB is currently being devised with working with the reduced memory footprint of newer Software Development Kits. Devs are getting more ram to work with overtime, as the original memory footprint in RAM has been said to be reduced by about half since the PS3's release and the PS3 has been upgraded with software features ever since too.

It's not like Sony can suddenly release a new lower RAM usage SDK and then devs find out XMB screws over the RAM allotment given to devs, they already know what they can work with before hand. And with some devs the newer SDK gave them space to do more things, like Burnout Paradise devs were allowed to add in 1080i support in their engine because the SDK released after the game was out gave enough extra RAM overhead to add it in.

Sony is streamlining and making more efficient use of the RAM with added features, giving it back bit by bit to devs ever since the PS3 first came out, not taking it away from them, so no need to worry.

The feature sounds much better all of a sudden. ^^
It's what you'd expect Sony to not do, indeed, but given the seemingly huge interest/pressure for this feature, I had fears on how they were going to deal with it..

lupinko : Given what was posted, I don't think he/she knew about that.

Indeed, i wasn't aware of these crucial infos..

Angry Grimace said:
Yeah, right. I'll be rocking GNR's Chinese Democracy and Dre's Detox before I can either pull up XMB mid-game or play the allegedly coming-out Home.

lol. Let me know where you are buying your copies for Detox and Chinese Democracy from. You better be ready to share in the upcoming days! -_-

consoul

lynux3 said:
The guy who said 2.36 would be coming soon when it wasn't announced brought up June 26th, but didn't specify what that date was for.
No.

I was that guy who said 2.36 was coming, but I never said anything about the 26th. That was someone else. Ed maybe?

Top Bottom