• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iRacing |OT| The Real Racing Simulator

bee

nice setup

VirtualR said:
iRacing.com has sent out a very interesting newsletter to subscribers of their online racing simulation, outlining some of the new releases and improvements that will be coming up later this year.

The mail mentions several new features such as night racing, fixed setup racing, an updated transmission and damage model as well as a major overhaul of the simulation’s tire & aero model.

In terms of content, several upcoming releases are mentioned, including the Mid Ohio Sports Car Course, the Ford Mustang FR500S and, most importantly, the Williams FW31 Formula One car.

Furthermore, the developers promise several new cars such as a street stock car and more tracks from around the globe. To top it all off, iRacing will also be releasing a new and free car for all members this year, bringing the iRacing.com Driving School car to the simulation.

can't say i've had the mail yet but that sounds damn good

I got that mail 3-4 days ago

edit:
iracing.jpg

capasoma said:
Great setup. Specs, bigger pics are also welcome.

wish I had bigger pics to show, the crap ones I have don't really do justice. Here's one more bad one of the PC:

IMG_0093.jpg
[/IMG]

The monitors are 23" Dells, model # P2310H.

PC Specs: Asus P6T SE MB, Core i7 920 OC'd to 3.2 ghz, 6 gig Corsair Dominator ram at 1333mhz, Powercolor ATI 5870 1gb, Corsair 750 watt Power supply.

Runs 3 screens at 5760x1080, full graphics setting except Shadows. Runs locked at 84 FPS. This rig was assembled specifically for iRacing, and I couldn't be happier.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Question guys...when you are in a race and god forbid crash and can't continue, can you at least spectate the remaining part of the race?

If so, what is the spectating like? Can you watch from other players' cockpit cam? Can you watch from a top-down view? Hood/bonnet view?

Can you save the remaining time left as a replay?

jlevel13

Any advice on racing South Boston in the Legends Ford Rookie? I seem to be running about a half second off the pace (18.491 is so far my best qualifying lap), but I'm not sure what else I should be doing to go faster. These tiny ovals aren't exactly what I want to be racing, but I'd at least like to learn how to make a competitive time and then try a few races (so far I've only done practice, time trials and made a few attempts at setting a qualifying time).

isamu said:
Question guys...when you are in a race and god forbid crash and can't continue, can you at least spectate the remaining part of the race?

If so, what is the spectating like? Can you watch from other players' cockpit cam? Can you watch from a top-down view? Hood/bonnet view?

Can you save the remaining time left as a replay?

Yes you can spectate the remainder of the race, and save the replay. You can watch from any drivers car, plus about a dozen camera options including a free camera that you can place anywhere you like.

you can also tow, if you totally wreck, and start with a fresh car from the pit. but it takes a couple of minutes

jlevel13 said:
Any advice on racing South Boston in the Legends Ford Rookie? I seem to be running about a half second off the pace (18.491 is so far my best qualifying lap), but I'm not sure what else I should be doing to go faster. These tiny ovals aren't exactly what I want to be racing, but I'd at least like to learn how to make a competitive time and then try a few races (so far I've only done practice, time trials and made a few attempts at setting a qualifying time).
you've practiced with other people on the track right? it's a lot easier when you have other people on there to see exactly how you turn/brake wrong

jlevel13

Got up the guts to run my first race and it was terrifying, exhausting and a lot of fun. Qualified 7th in a field of 10 on South Boston Speedway. Played it pretty safe and ran all 40 laps incident free (thank God) and managed to finish 4th, which made me happier than winning a race in any other game.

Pretty glad I decided to give iRacing a try at this point. Still not totally sold on the pricing structure (new cars and tracks are just too much $$$ on top of the subscription), but I definitely feel like I could go for quite a while without having to drop the cash for new stuff. Just take it slow and try to get better and see if it holds my interest long term.

Excited by that email that seems to say they're adding a driving school. That's something I feel like the game really needs, and to be honest, something I need too.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Frank Lemon said:
Yes you can spectate the remainder of the race, and save the replay. You can watch from any drivers car, plus about a dozen camera options including a free camera that you can place anywhere you like.

Joseph Merrick said:
you can also tow, if you totally wreck, and start with a fresh car from the pit. but it takes a couple of minutes

you've practiced with other people on the track right? it's a lot easier when you have other people on there to see exactly how you turn/brake wrong

Thanks a lot guys. Sounds awesome. Didn't know about the tow truck feature. That's certainly welcomed for beginners :)

And yeah, that email with the list of upcoming features sound very cool. If indeed all of those things make it out this year, I will certainly be inclined to take the plunge into iRacing! But damn, so many other racing games coming out as well :/

got another newsletter thing now

Subject: iRacing.com Continues Global Expansion

mostly talking about phillip island and v8, but as has been hinted or rumored maybe also confirmed elsewhere? I hadn't seen it before anyway--

Earlier this year iRacing.com and Williams F1 announced joint plans to add a virtual version of the legendary team's FW31 grand prix car to iRacing's inventory. To the existing 40 tracks (100+ configurations) and 18 cars, iRacing has recently added Brands Hatch in England and the Dutch Circuit Club Zandvoort – joining Silverstone, home of the British Grand Prix. Okayama International Circuit will be the first of three Japanese tracks, in addition to Japanese racing cars.

isamu

Joseph Merrick said:
. Okayama International Circuit will be the first of three Japanese tracks, in addition to Japanese racing cars.

wow.....

could this be a sign that they may be adding a....*gulp*....Drifting event?????

*Prays it is*

Scipius

isamu said:
wow.....

could this be a sign that they may be adding a....*gulp*....Drifting event?????

*Prays it is*

Likely not, I don't think iRacing caters to that crowd, but who knows. Keep in mind that Japanese racing is much larger than just the drifting scene. More important is whether or not Suzuka is one of the other two...

isamu said:
But damn, so many other racing games coming out as well

You do need to be careful; the depth of iRacing can ruin other, more casual racing games for you. I'm still suffering horribly from the effects of Grand Prix Legends.

19Kilo

Looks like iRacing is sending out promo codes to members which allows a friend to take a free 1-month trial. I'll post once I receive mine, so if anyone has a wheel and been looking to give it a try let me know.

19Kilo

Got my promo code. Somehow didn't receive it when they sent out all the emails, but a quick response from iracing support took care of that.

19Kilo

Oh yeah, Mid-Ohio was released the other day and it's fantastic. I've always loved the rFactor version of this track and now the iRacing version is even better.

Here's a video of the soon-to-be-released Mustang FR500S on the new track.

And onboard in the IndyCar.

Now bring on the FW31 :D

NMan

19Kilo said:
Got my promo code. Somehow didn't receive it when they sent out all the emails, but a quick response from iracing support took care of that.
I'll take the code if you still have it. I got a MOMO wheel so it would be fun to try it out with iRacing.

iam220

19Kilo said:
Here's a video of the soon-to-be-released Mustang FR500S on the new track.

Is it just me or are there some graphics improvements in that video? iRacing graphics never really stood out for me but they're looking pretty good there.

19Kilo

iam220 said:
Is it just me or are there some graphics improvements in that video? iRacing graphics never really stood out for me but they're looking pretty good there.

Yeah, the track is definitely an improvement - lots more details off-track and a very nice sky. The paint templates on the mustang look really nice too. Lots of little small improvements like that have made the sim look quite different from a couple of years ago.

19Kilo

News from iRacing today:

Christmas is coming early for iRacers, whether they’ve been naughty or nice. iRacing.com is adding a sleigh-load of free cars and tracks to its base package in the weeks and months ahead. You read that right -- Free!

iRacing Rookie or veteran, you’ll be able to take advantage of the enhanced base package beginning in early July with the release of legendary Thompson International Speedway, the high-banked Connecticut bull ring that has been synonymous with New England motorsports for more than half a century.

Of course, you’ll need a shiny new car to race at Thompson. How about a Tour Modified? The faster cousin of the SK Modified that has long been a staple of the iRacing garage is poised to join the service as well. iRacers who already own an SK Modified will see the Tour Modified automatically added to their inventory, while those new to the Modified sim racing scene will receive both the SK and Tour Modifieds with a single purchase. Like Thompson, the Tour Modified will be available in early July for practice and hosted racing, with official race series kicking-off in Season Three.

What could be better than a free new track and a shiny new race car? How about a free new track and two shiny new race cars? As hinted a few weeks ago, we’re also adding a street stock to the base package, one fresh from the JR Motorsports shop. Available in late 2010, the street stock will also be free to all iRacers.

Have we forgotten our road racers? Not hardly. One of iRacing’s worst-kept secrets is the fact that we’ll be adding the Mazda MX5 to our stable later this year. But we’ll bet you didn’t know it will be the new road racing rookie car (don’t worry Solstice fans, the Solstice will still be an integral part of iRacing); or that the Mazda will be available in both right hand drive (MX5 Cup) and left hand drive (MX5 Roadster) versions. And yes, as part of the basic package, the MX5 Cup and Roadster will both be free to all iRacers.

Regardless of the steering wheel location, you’ll need someplace nifty to race your shiny new MX5. Where better than Okayama International Raceway? The former home of the Pacific Grand Prix (1993-94), the 11 turn, 2.3 mile road course is set to join Brands Hatch, Silverstone, Oulton Park, Zandvoort and Phillip Island on iRacing’s expanding catalogue of renowned international circuits in 2011.

We've made our list and checked it twice: that’s two new tracks and two new cars (four if you count both versions of the MX5 and you have purchased the SK Modified). Ho-Ho-Ho!

bee

anyone been playing the 24 hours of fun races? it was multi class with the spec racer ford and the skippy at mid ohio, was ridiculous amounts of fun, was playing in 3D too :D

surprising how much the proper laser scanned track differs from the virtua lm rfactor version, which imo is rfactors best track. quite a lot of the turns are completely different and of course theres bumps and a lot of them

isamu

bee said:
anyone been playing the 24 hours of fun races? it was multi class with the spec racer ford and the skippy at mid ohio, was ridiculous amounts of fun, was playing in 3D too :D

surprising how much the proper laser scanned track differs from the virtua lm rfactor version, which imo is rfactors best track. quite a lot of the turns are completely different and of course theres bumps and a lot of them

Regarding the "24 hours of fun races"....how often are these going on? Are they available all the time? That is something that intrigues me.

Frawdder

isamu said:
Regarding the "24 hours of fun races"....how often are these going on? Are they available all the time? That is something that intrigues me.
They are run every Saturday at 12am GMT for 24 hours. The car and track is announced mid-week.

19Kilo

The Mustang FR500S and Driving School are out :D

Found some video of the stang.

The school videos seem pretty informative, I'll watch them all as I get the spare time. They also updated a few tracks with school layouts which add cone markers at turn-in, apex, etc.

Looks like the 24 Heures du Fun this weekend is the Mustang, most likely at Mid-Ohio (judging by a staff member's post asking for which track they want - it's overwhelmingly Mid-Ohio :) )

Edit: They are starting the 24 hr fun races early this week due to the Mustang's release - "Ok, going to run Summit Point starting tonight through tomorrow night. Watkins Glen Cup tomorrow night through Saturday night and Mid Ohio Full Saturday night through Sunday night." Awesome!

StayUp

Does anybody have a free 1-month trial code left? I'm interested in trying this out. I have a G25 and been playing GTR Evolution lately.

Can't believe I haven't seen this thread before.

All the new stuff is very exciting. I plan to renew my yearly subscriptions for a long time to come. I also can't wait to get my hands on the Miata for free. :D

bee

watkins glen then mid ohio, looks like i'll be buying the mustang a lot sooner than i thought

I'll be waiting for the $30 in free credits for renewing early--hopefully I'll get the email with the code early in July. Planning to grab the Mustang and either Brands or Mid Ohio with those credits.

mbmonk

Well I think the existence of this game just about seals it for me. I had decided not to buy a G27 because I wasn't sure if it was worth the price for GT5 alone. But throw this game in the mix and it could be worth that $$. Thanks for bumping the thread. First time I have seen this game.

I've wanted to join this since I started to tire of GP4 and its mod scene. But - yeah, shock - the costs involved on top of the subscription have kept me away. When I have cash to burn I might truly consider it, though.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
mbmonk said:
Well I think the existence of this game just about seals it for me. I had decided not to buy a G27 because I wasn't sure if it was worth the price for GT5 alone. But throw this game in the mix and it could be worth that $$. Thanks for bumping the thread. First time I have seen this game.
As a bonus, if you go the G27 route you can use the awesome Fanatec clubsport pedals with it for PC titles (not on the PS3 unfortunately, as they only work there with a Fanatec wheel).

mbmonk

XiaNaphryz said:
As a bonus, if you go the G27 route you can use the awesome Fanatec clubsport pedals with it for PC titles (not on the PS3 unfortunately, as they only work there with a Fanatec wheel).

Don't show me more stuff to spend money on. I already need to buy a wheel, mount/stand/cockpit of some sort, and the game. I have a wife.. this isn't going to be an easy sale. :lol

mbmonk said:
It's definitely worth it. If you like road course racing, I'd definitely suggest jumping in and working to obtain your D or C level license, then do some casual hosted races/practices and meet some people around your skill level and see when they normally race, then try to run with them in the many series available--it'll be your best bet at having a fun, intense, and fair race. Having a group of people who are respectful and aware of racing ethics (and I'll be honest, you find people like this 90% of the time in iRacing whereas in most other online racing titles you'd be lucky if 1 in 10 of the people have a clue or give a fuck about rules) makes iRacing one of the best online games out there period, regardless of genre.

It has to be because iRacing is subscription-based and actually carries consequences for being an idiot. I love it.

isamu

19Kilo said:
Edit: They are starting the 24 hr fun races early this week due to the Mustang's release

Out of curiousity, why aren't these 24hr fun races held like....everyday? why just the weekends?

Chris R

So is there any way to test this out? I hooked my DFGT up to my PC and had fun playing a little bit of GRID, but I want to try this.

19Kilo

rhfb said:
So is there any way to test this out? I hooked my DFGT up to my PC and had fun playing a little bit of GRID, but I want to try this.

I don't believe there are any free trials or demos (I've already given away my free promo code). The best you could do at the moment is the "Buy 1 get 2" (ends today, though). Buy one month, get two free, so $14 for 3 months of racing. Not bad at all.

Frawdder

isamu said:
Out of curiousity, why aren't these 24hr fun races held like....everyday? why just the weekends?
24HDF races are designed to be a down time, a way people can relax and race without worrying about safety rating or irating (they aren't counted in 24HDF sessions).

Also, great news about the Mustang 24HDF this weekend, I though Summit Point was an odd choice, but Watkins Glen and Mid Ohio should make for some great races. Running the Skippy and the Late Model so far this season, I tested the Mustang today and it felt strange at first sitting so high up. Seems to be neat car though.

Funky Functionality said:
It has to be because iRacing is subscription-based and actually carries consequences for being an idiot. I love it.
Agreed, the sub-based model plus having to use your real name really weeds out the people who aren't serious about it and is for the better. Everyone is there for the same reason and nobody wants to see idiots crashing into other racers.

I'm hooked on it.

19Kilo

Got another mail today, this time about next weekend's World Tour event:

2uzosnn.jpg

Legendary Lotus 79 F1 Car Is Featured For iRacing.com Historic British Grand Prix

Racing Game Enthusiasts Compete in Car That Took Andretti
to World Championship and Revolutionized Motorsport

Bedford, MA (July 2nd, 2010) - In a celebration of the history of the British Grand Prix at Silverstone and in appreciation of the car that 32 years ago ushered in the ground-effect era of motorsport, more than a thousand members of iRacing.com are expected to participate in the iRacing.com Historic British Grand Prix. This group of race game enthusiasts and sim racers will compete in virtual versions of the Lotus 79, Mario Andretti's mount for his 1978 Formula One World Championship and the first car feature a fully-effective design that generates downforce through underbody aerodynamics.

When it comes to Grand Prix racing, it doesn't get any more historic than Silverstone. The modern World Championship was born on this former RAF bomber base, where Giuseppe Farina led a 1-2-3 sweep for Alfa Romeo, propelling him to the inaugural World Drivers Championship. It was also on Silverstone's storied grounds, 28 years later, that Colin Chapman's then-revolutionary Lotus 79 made its competition debut in the hands of Mario Andretti at the BRDC International Trophy non-championship event.

"Each year Silverstone pays homage to its grand prix history with at least two historic Formula One races," said Divina Galica, iRacing.com's director of partner relations. "As the eighth round in our 2010 World Tour, the iRacing.com Historic British Grand Prix allows our members from all over the world to join in paying tribute to this significant event in modern motorsport and a car that changed racing forever."

Galica noted that unlike the real-world Silverstone historic races, which because of tight scheduling at the UK's Formula One World Championship event must race on different weekends, iRacing's virtual version is scheduled for the same weekend as this year's real-world British Grand Prix.

The 68-lap race is scheduled for July 10 at 3 pm ET (19:00 GMT) and is open without additional charge to all iRacing.com members around the world. Grids for the 24-car race splits grids will be determined by qualifying time, with qualifying sessions beginning July 3 at 8 pm ET (00:00 GMT).

19Kilo

More info about the Lotus from the email:

Lotus 79: Ground-Breaking Ground Effects

iRacing.com's virtual version of the iRacing Lotus 79 was developed with the cooperation of Classic Team Lotus, which since 1992 has served as the Lotus Works for historic motorsport activity. Classic Team Lotus continues to maintain and operate Lotus F1 cars for owners around the world, and it preserves the Team Lotus archive and Works Collection of cars.

"Of all of the racing cars in Lotus's long history, including others that have won world championships, few have had such an impact on the sport," said Clive Chapman, managing director of Classic Team Lotus and the son of Lotus founder Colin Chapman. "The Lotus 78 was designed around the notion of underbody aerodynamics, but the 79 was the first car that fully exploited ground-effect principles. And that changed the face of racing. It was an amazing car for its time, and it remains an amazing car today. I'm pleased that iRacing has made it possible for people today to experience what it is like to drive the 79."

Mario Andretti knows the Lotus 79 first-hand and his input helped iRacing's vehicle dynamics engineers accurately develop the digital version of his championship-winning mount.

"Driving the Lotus 79 was one of the most satisfying experiences in my career as a race driver," Andretti recalled. "The car was exceptionally responsive to different setups that we used to adapt to different circuits. Because I understood the dynamics of the car so well, I was able to achieve perfect balance with that car most of the time, which was very rare. I always looked forward to crawling into that cockpit. Of course that car also is significant in my life because I won the World Championship driving it."

It was with the Lotus 79 that the brilliant Chapman realized the full potential of ground effect. With redesigned sidepods and front and rear suspension components repositioned so as not to impede the airstream's entry or exit, the 79 generated 30% more downforce than the 78. Though it didn't make its championship debut until the sixth race of the 1978 season, the Lotus 79 was miles ahead of the competition and with it Andretti dominated the rest of the year, winning the Drivers Championship and helping Lotus secure the Constructors Championship.

It also mentioned that the Williams FW31 will be available by the end of the year. Too bad it didn't make it out for this event, but the Lotus is fun too :D

Fixed1979

Picked this up yesterday as I was dying to play something that would take full advantage of a new G27 and I'm totally enjoying it more than I thought I would. I found it a little difficult getting starting and finding my way around and what I was supposed to be doing (I probably skipped some instructions somewhere as I wanted to jump in). I worried about disliking the graphics as I'm a bit of a whore, but they accomplish what they need to do and I don't even think about it now.

I couldn't be happier than I spent 15 bucks on this for 3 months instead of GTR for 20 (or 30) bucks. I can see how this could get expensive buying cars and tracks as you go, but for now I'm too shitty to care. Just trying to get my SR up and become competitive with the cars and tracks I do have.

Big recommendation to anyone looking for a hardcore racing sim with what appears to be a smart online setup.

Ravenn17

Source

Racing.com has just announced the newest addition to the lineup of tracks in their online racing simulation as Spa Francorchamps will be available to iRacing subscribers in the rather near future.

The announcement answers the prayers of many sim racers as Spa is considered to be one of the finest race tracks in the world. Scanning work at Spa and Zolder will be starting in a few weeks, no specific release time has been given so far.

Opened in 1922, Spa Francorchamps is located in the Belgian Ardennes and has been hosting Formula One races, sports car races and other high-profile motorsport events ever since. Up until 1978, the circuit was made up of mostly public roads, creating a high-speed 14.1 kilometer layout. The modern version of the track opened in 1979 and has remained largely unchanged despite some recent modifications at the start/finish area and the bus stop chicane.

Even though the current 7 kilometer circuit isn’t as spectacular as the old layout, key elements such as the La Source hairpin and the famous Eau Rouge corner have been retained, making Spa a favorite of both the fans and many drivers.

Freakin' sweet.

Top Bottom