• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youkai Watch: General Thread

Meffer

Since the third version of Youkai Watch 2 came out recently along with people outside of Japan catching wind of this franchise; what better why than to have a thread about Youkai Watch! Imported the shiny N3DS? You likely asked what games are good for people who know little to none knowledge of japanese. YW is on the list of games to get, so you're either on the fence about it or already have it but want to know more about it.
My intention is for this thread to help players help each other out through the game to get a better experience out of it. And just talk about YW in general and get people to know about a fun franchise. But we before we go to the games, here's some Q&A:

What is Youkai Watch?
large.jpg

Youkai Watch is a multimedia franchise created by Level5 which are known for their RPGs such as Dark Cloud 1 and 2, Rouge Galaxy, Inazuma Eleven series and most recently Ni no Kuni and Fantasy Life. They even did Dragon Quest 8 and 9!
YW was announced in 2012 and a little bit later was confirmed it was going on the 3DS. It was intended to be released in 2013 along with a TV show and toys such as the watch itself and medals. The game came out around 2013 first and although considered a good, polished game; was met with low sales. At least until the show aired shortly after.
Popularity boomed and toys were selling out fast. People loved it and wanted more. So Level5 did; in 2014 they released the sequel in two versions, Youkai Watch 2 Honke and Ganso, with the third one, Shinuchi that just released some days ago.
The first two versions was met with well over a million sales within first days of release, with the third selling over a 1.2 million in the first two days of it's release! Needless to say, Youkai Watch is one of the big boys now. But enough about backstory!

Okay, but what is it about?
Were you ever in a bad mood for no good reason or felt like spending a lot of money out of blue among other weird happenings? That is the work of youkai. You wouldn't know because they tend to be invisible! People are none the wiser, so what can you do? This is when the Youkai Watch comes into play. It allows you to see and summon Youkai you have befriended. With that in hand, who knows what'll you'll run into!

What are the games?
Screen%20Shot%202014-01-26%20at%2011.08.29%20AM.png

They're monster RPGs. You find, and befriend youkai that you can put in your party, train and battle with while exploring the game's city of Sakura Town among other areas. All the while following the story (don't worry, it's a good length) and doing side quests.

What is so special about these games?
I think there are two important factors that makes this series great.
1: The synergy the game has with the rest of the franchise, in this case the medals. The Youkai Medals are things that you can collect in packs usually in twos. Each medal has a youkai along with the youkai's type, they work with the watch and when inserted inside plays the youkai's type summoning song and then plays the youkai's name.
But there's more, you can also scan the medal's QR code using the games and get Youkai Coins where you can use on the gachapon machine in game and get various items and youkai (even rare ones!) certain times a day!
2: It's the little things that counts. The game's world is quite large and packed with things to find and do. Not only do you find and get youkai, you catch bugs, fish do tons of side quests, test your guts during Oni Nights, solve strange Youkai Sightings and so much more.
The game also just looks fantastic and Level5's well known use of polish in their games shine through here. The games are a joy to look at and the 3D isn't a slouch either. And then there's all the little details, like when you take of your shoes when enter inside houses watchings the backdrops go by while riding the train. These details most of the time aren't needed in games but they add up here and it improves the experience. It's the journey that counts.

Is it coming to the States or EU region?
Yes it is! Level5 is intending to bring the franchise to other regions next year! They're quite excited about it. Who wouldn't?
EDIT: The Americas are getting the first game on November 6th 2015 while EU regions will get the game sometime early next year.

Why does this video have so many views?! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyKLQXOj0ts
That's the Youkai Exercise. An exercise dance for kids and they really like it so they play it often dancing along, hence the crap load of views. Behold the power of kids!!!

I need help at this part!!!!
This is what the thread is for! We all help each other out! And here's my part.
This guy is doing a translation play through of the first Youkai Watch.
And this play through is for YW2, while the player doesn't talk you can still follow along and get the hang of it.
Now have some fun with these games!

(This is my first general thread so be gentle.)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I've played the second game for about 5 hours before I stopped and I have to say that it's a really well made title with better looks/performance than 3D Pokemon games.
Still, it didn't really click with me for some reason.

red13th

I was going to try and get a used 3DS next year when I'm in Japan solely for Youkai Watch but if they are really bringing it overseas I guess I'll just wait a bit more.

Meffer

I got into it pretty quick. It sated what I wanted in a game like this. The collecting aspect of it is just addicting to me.

Meffer

In most monster games, you catch monsters. In this series you various ways of getting Youkai.
One is playing through the story and earning the Youkai it gives you.

Another is using the gachapon machine behind the shrine under the big tree. You can either use Youkai Coins or 10 play coins to have a try. Mind though that you can the gachapon so many times a day, 4 times during the weekdays and 8 during the weekends. There could be other days that let you more tries but I'm not sure. If anybody can tell me more about it that be great.

The most common way is getting them through battle. After you win a battle there's a chance one of the youkai you fought will ask to be friends with you. But it's a slim chance and even more so with high ranked Youkai. So how can you increase that chance? The same way anybody can make new friends. Free food.

Before or during battle you can give food to the enemy Youkai and if they like it the chances it'll want to befriend you increases. Every youkai has a favorite food and the better the food the higher the chances will be.

Here is the list of Youkai, it shows their favorite type of food. http://youkai-gh.g-takumi.com/youkai_list.php
Make sure to use google translate or what other translate programs you prefer.

Impotaku

There is a item that will increase the chances of a youkai becoming friends with you. It requires a bit of work to get but well worth the effort.

There is a shrine in Kemamoto that allows you to turn youkai into souls you can then combine these souls with each other to get rare ones if you get the right combination together. There is a rare soul called a motemote soul when equipped on a youkai it raises the chances of a youkai becoming friends.

To make it you need 2 specific youkai

Motemoten (No 056)
Zukyukyunta (No 152)

Motemoten can be found on the 4th floor of the office building your dad works in, you will need to activate the mystery sign outside to the right of the building & find a maboroushi to put in the circle to get the extra floors in the building to appear.

Zukyukyunta can only be found if you evolve a Kyuntarou (No 151) they are a C rank youkai found in the trees around the area that the station is in they look like pink dogs holding a heart. Once you have one you will need the Item to evolve it into a Zukyukyunta the easiest place to find it is in the jungle hunter shop but you'll need points to buy it so it might take quite a bit of insect catching to get it. The ai no shyaku it looks like a piece of wood with a heart on & costs 750JP (might need to complete game for it to be in the jungle hunter shop)

Once you have the needed item goto the shrine where you can combine youkai & items & evolve your kyuntarou into Zukyukyunta then travel to kemamoto & goto the shrine that lets you turn them into souls.

Convert both into souls then select the second option & combine the 2 souls together, make sure that you select your Zukyukyunta as your base soul then motemoten as your second soul. If you have done everything correctly it will turn into a blue & yellow spiral soul that looks a bit like a galaxy, that is the motemote soul if you equip that on a youkai it vastly increases your chances.

Meffer

I'll be honest, I have a vague idea what the 4 stats for Youkai are but I don't know which is which. Anybody know?

Aeana

I've played the second game for about 5 hours before I stopped and I have to say that it's a really well made title with better looks/performance than 3D Pokemon games.

Sounds like Level-5 in a nutshell.

hongcha

I enjoyed the Japanese town atmosphere enough to complete the game (riding trains was fun too), but it is not much of a JRPG. The auto-battles are quite boring, and while the player can do some things during them (Special Attack, Target, Item, rotate Youkai), it's not enough to be considered a proper JRPG, IMO. So for me this is more of an adventure game. I don't care about collecting Youkai so I just played through for the story and the atmosphere, and it was fun enough.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I've considered importing this game, but it seems like something I'd really want to understand so I'm waiting for the localization.

Scott667

I keep hearing about this and how it's becoming the next "Pokemon" in Japan. I'm a big pokemon fan and wanted to learn more so this is a pretty helpful thread.

I was just wondering if I could ask what the battling is like (if there even is battling, I'm still a little confused). Is it like Pokemon where you can battle your friends? Is it turn based? Are there any good videos that help explain it?

weekev

Banned
I keep hearing about this and how it's becoming the next "Pokemon" in Japan. I'm a big pokemon fan and wanted to learn more so this is a pretty helpful thread.

I was just wondering if I could ask what the battling is like (if there even is battling, I'm still a little confused). Is it like Pokemon where you can battle your friends? Is it turn based? Are there any good videos that help explain it?
Skip to 1 min 38 (or just watch the whole vid, it isnt long) looks like deeper Pokemon to me. Makes me interested, will see what the localisation is like.

3DS - Youkai Watch - New Gameplay footage: http://youtu.be/ydtc4cs4If4

Forkball

I made a big thread about my Youkai Watch 2 impressions I really love that game and it's still one of my favorites from this year. It should definitely be on everyone's radar if you like JRPGs. I agree about the battles being a bit too hands off. It feels more like Dragon Warrior Monsters than Pokemon. They can certainly get more complicated though if you try the Battle Tower-esque Sports Club, battle online, or take on the post-game dungeons. The team I beat the game with died in like two hits to a boss in one of the post-game extra areas. I think a lot of the complexity arrives from really min/maxing your Youkai as you can get very specific in terms of growth. Team synergy is also important, as it relies more on roles (healer, buffer, attacker) etc. than on type advantages.

In terms of other stuff, here's a brief rundown:

+Graphics are fantastic and there's so much attention to detail. I was always a defender of Pokemon 3DS' look but after playing Youkai Watch 2, Pokemon looks so ugly in comparison.
+Even though the game is limited to a main city and two towns, there is so much to see and do. It feels like no area is wasted and even after playing for dozens of hours I constantly stumbled upon new areas and secrets.
+Ridonkulous amount of side quests that are actually pretty interesting.
+The Youkai are really well-designed and creative, though there are palette swaps galore
+The game is quite funny and the story is pretty different from your typical JRPG tale. There are a lot of memorable characters with distinct personalities.

-It is too damn hard to catch Youkai. It is basically random. Just because you give the most expensive food they like to them doesn't mean they will join you. You know in Pokemon how annoying it is to hunt for a specific Pokemon you want if the encounter rate is low? Imagine that PLUS having zero idea if it is going to join you at the end of the battle even though you did everything possible to get them to join. Also you basically have to have a guide open at all times because who knows what food a youkai even likes. Sometimes it makes sense but sometimes it's just wacky.

Impotaku

-It is too damn hard to catch Youkai. It is basically random. Just because you give the most expensive food they like to them doesn't mean they will join you. You know in Pokemon how annoying it is to hunt for a specific Pokemon you want if the encounter rate is low? Imagine that PLUS having zero idea if it is going to join you at the end of the battle even though you did everything possible to get them to join. Also you basically have to have a guide open at all times because who knows what food a youkai even likes. Sometimes it makes sense but sometimes it's just wacky.

In the first game it's a problem as there is no indication of what they like, in the second game when you scan a youkai using the lens it will tell you what it's favourite food type is.

Having a youkai with the mote mote ability will increase the chances of them wanting to become friends with you. Equipping a mote mote soul will increase those chances even further. In the 2nd game if you manage to get one of them in a status attack you can switch to the zeroshiki lens and scan them to do a minigame where you can inflict the heart status on them if you win, the minigame allows 3 outcomes either money, exp or hearts.

Kouriozan

I think I read some impressions where people said it was better than Pokémon for finding/getting specific monsters/youkais and then the cointerargument was the new DexNav.
Edit : there

Anyway, I remember getting interested about it before the first one release (= before its popularity exploded) and was a bit worried about the battle system, apparently you just swap your youkais and wait, with launching some specials here and there.

Forkball

I think I read some impressions where people said it was better than Pokémon for finding/getting specific monsters/youkais and then the cointerargument was the new DexNav.
Edit : thread title was something like "I like Youkai Watch more than Pokemon"

Anyway, I remember getting interested about it before the first one release (= before its popularity exploded) and was a bit worried about the battle system, apparently you just swap your youkais and wait, with launching some specials here and there.

I dunno, I found it hard to get certain Youkai. There are no random battles, but you can't see Youkai in the cities or towns until you specifically search for them in areas with youkai activity. For example, each Youkai has a rarity ranking. You can only find Youkai Suchandsuch when your watch flashes "C rating" on the screen, and you can only find Youkai Soandso when "B rating" flashes on the screen. This is good because you don't really need to battle over and over again, but you still have to wander the area until the youkai spawns in an area. Not to mention multiple Youkai could have the same ranking in the same area, so even if you know that your youkai has a C rating, there are also other youkai with the same rating that you might find first. And then when you find the Youkai, you have to give him the food and hope it joins you. Sometimes it was easy as pie but sometimes it was torture. I didn't know about the aforementioned item that makes it easier. In post-game I used a Youkai with the motemote skill to make it easier but I feel like it didn't help a significant amount.

One thing I do like about acquiring youkai is that there are multiple ways to do it. One of the best is the gacha machine. In the game there are youkai coins you can use on the gacha, and you can get anything from a trash item to AN S RANKED YOUKAI. Imagine in Pokemon if there was a place where you could get either a potion or a Mewtwo. The coins are fairly hard to come across in the game, but you can get more by scanning QR codes that were distributed in Japan. Fortunately people put these on the internet so you can get dozens of free youkai coins. You can only use a certain amount a day though, and there is always a chance to get garbage.

Also, not only is their traditional level evolution, but also fusion. You can fuse youkai together, or a youkai with an item. Getting the legendary youkai is basically a quest in and of itself. In order to get a some legendary rank youkai, you have to collect eight other youkai. When you get those eight, you are given the legendary one. It may sound easy, but some of the youkai you have to collect are rare themselves. I remember it took me quite a bit of adventuring to get Bushinyan, the basic legendary youkai. He's awesome though.

Battles are really hit and miss. I can see some people hating how automated they are, but it also speeds up fighting trash mobs. When you get into a real battle, there is quite a bit of interaction. You have to time specials you activate via minigames, know when to switch in and out, exorcise youkai that become inactive, use items, use your pin to grab special buffs that float through the screen etc. Battles are in real time so it can be hectic. Boss battles really highlight how creative the battle system can be. And even though the game is easy, the final boss is strangely difficult. It has to be one of the biggest leaps in difficulty for a single boss.

Can't wait for it to reach these shores. I have a feeling that the moment Level 5 and Nintendo decide to do some kind of Amiibo x Youkai Watch crossover, the franchise will experience it's next spurt of growth. Anyone else agree?

ranmafan

It's great to see people taking about the series some more lately. I remember when it first came out I was a bit skeptical about it and didn't get it. I've never been a big fan on the whole monster collecting genre. I tried pokemon a few times and each time it never really clicked for me. But after all the hype and popularity of the game here, and many of my relatives and people I knew saying so many great things about it, I decided to try it out. I'm glad I did. It's a fantastic game. I love the atmosphere it it. The world is so lively and fun to play in. Love that it's more a real world setting than other games. And I love the youkai designs. They really stand out to me and while I know some in other threads have said they had trouble with them, I just find them great.

I do wish the battles could have more control to them but they are ok. Simply a great series. I'm enjoying it tremendously. I'll probably spend a lot of time with the games during my winter break. I hope gamers back in the west get to play it soon. I think it lives up to its hype. They are loads of fun!

Wanchan

I'll be honest, I have a vague idea what the 4 stats for Youkai are but I don't know which is which. Anybody know?

It's kinda basic :

ちから = strength (melee attack)
ようりょく = force (magic attack)
まもり = defense
すばやさ = priority (speed)

I finally played the demo yesterday. It seems to be a great game but I really wonder if it can be succesfull in the west. It seems heavily aimed at japanese kids with many japanese cultural references, taking place in Japan. Pokemon, while obviously japanese, has a "fantasy" setting and a broader appeal imo.

I finally played the demo yesterday. It seems to be a great game but I really wonder if it can be succesfull in the west. It seems heavily aimed at japanese kids with many japanese cultural references, taking place in Japan. Pokemon, while obviously japanese, has a "fantasy" setting and a broader appeal imo.

That's not really a unique problem when it comes to game localization ("Eat your hamburgers, Apollo!" "I just love jelly doughnuts!"). They'll probably change enough of the names, jokes, and references that it becomes more of a "generic-Western" setting. Some of the monster designs are really weird, but given some of the weirdness kids are exposed to every day with cartoons and stuff I think they'll probably be able to accept it ok.

ubiblu

Amazing game series. I'm currently playing through Shinuchi after having already put in 50 hours with Ganso (but still starting from scratch). The games are just pure fun, and I honestly love the flow of battles - they are perfect.

Capturing Youkai can be a major hassle though, even with the right food. Master Nyada took me practically 50 battles to catch despite two motemote youkai and the top tier fish food. And don't get me started on the Gasha coins...so much trash every day.

If anything stops these games from overtaking Pokemon in the West, it will be the frustration that young kids with little patience experience when playing. I'm a grown man and my fiancée has to tell me to stop playing as I get visibly angry having to reset yet again for a stubborn youkai.

Dr. Buni

I am yet to play a Level 5 game which clicked with me. I want to love the Professor Layton series (for example), but I can't.

I am afraid the same might happen to Yo-Kai Watch.

Either way, I will give the game a try when it is released worldwide. It looks nice and am not feeling Pokémon lately, so I'd love to have a substitute franchise of sorts.

Meffer

It's kinda basic :

ちから = strength (melee attack)
ようりょく = force (magic attack)
まもり = defense
すばやさ = priority (speed)
Thank you so much! Know I know what items to equip on my Youkai.

Meffer

That's not really a unique problem when it comes to game localization ("Eat your hamburgers, Apollo!" "I just love jelly doughnuts!"). They'll probably change enough of the names, jokes, and references that it becomes more of a "generic-Western" setting. Some of the monster designs are really weird, but given some of the weirdness kids are exposed to every day with cartoons and stuff I think they'll probably be able to accept it ok.
I believe Hino said the fact YW is so Japanese that there will be interest in it. Yeah, they'll change some things but they'll embrace the Japanese aspect.

I wish the game had more voice acting. I watched a bit of the anime and cannot get over how cute Jibanyan is.

I'm also almost done with the first game. Maybe I'll pickup Shinuchi in the near future.

I believe Hino said the fact YW is so Japanese that there will be interest in it. Yeah, they'll change some things but they'll embrace the Japanese aspect.

That'd be interesting to see! I don't think I've yet seen a kid's anime that got localized and ran on kids networks that was just like "yep, this takes place in Japan all the characters are Japanese, get used to it." Instead we get stuff like Mamoru Endo -> Mark Evans.

So what's the best way to get into this series, in terms of getting the best gameplay experience while not being totally lost?

Do I actually need to play the first game first, or can I skip straight to Shinuchi, or what? From everything I've read it seems like 2 is a massive upgrade from 1 in basically all aspects, and from the sounds of it Shinuchi builds on that even further, so skipping straight to that sounds pretty tempting right about now.

Meffer

So what's the best way to get into this series, in terms of getting the best gameplay experience while not being totally lost?

Do I actually need to play the first game first, or can I skip straight to Shinuchi, or what? From everything I've read it seems like 2 is a massive upgrade from 1 in basically all aspects, and from the sounds of it Shinuchi builds on that even further, so skipping straight to that sounds pretty tempting right about now.

I would suggest starting with Shinuchi. YW2 starts in a way that playing the first one for story isn't needed. Unless you want to get the link content. Which btw, the link content rewards you a good amount. A really cool thing about Shinuchi is that you can transfer your save files from Honke and Ganso and continue playing that file on Shinuchi (it even let's you rename your character if you so choose) with the added stuff Shinuchi has.

I second the notion that you should begin with Shinuchi. I bought it right after I finished the first game last night and apart from the stuff you can get from finishing the first game, there really is no reason to play the first. It seems like every little gripe I had with the first game has been fixed in this.

Also...I remember someone mentioning that you can use the lenses on your Youkai Watch to find out the preferred food of a Youkai. Is this something that is unlocked as you play the game? I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. I'm at the part where
you defeat Baku and see a giant silhouette of a skeleton at the school.

Also I was really happy to see more voices in this game. :D

Meffer

I second the notion that you should begin with Shinuchi. I bought it right after I finished the first game last night and apart from the stuff you can get from finishing the first game, there really is no reason to play the first. It seems like every little gripe I had with the first game has been fixed in this.

Also...I remember someone mentioning that you can use the lenses on your Youkai Watch to find out the preferred food of a Youkai. Is this something that is unlocked as you play the game? I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. I'm at the part where
you defeat Baku and see a giant silhouette of a skeleton at the school.

Also I was really happy to see more voices in this game. :D
You have a bit more till you can unlock the feature. You get it when you get the Zero Watch, when you do you can change to either in battle by touching the middle of the bottom screen.

subscribed

I'm playing the game while looking for words I don't know, let's say it's a different way to study japanese :D

So I'm playing very slow but maybe I would find help here if I don't know what to do :)

kubus

This is an awesome thread! Subscribed! :)

I've got a question about the first game. I'm trying to upgrade my Watch to Rank A but to do so I need to defeat three youkai bosses. Problem is, I can't find them.
All three of them are in the sewers but I've only located the one that can be found using the entrance in Sakura New Town. I'm trying to find the one in Dan Dan Zaka but I think I got the wrong entrance. Hint says it should be an entrance down left from the train station but I can only find one slightly right from the train station that leads nowhere :/.

Any help would be appreciated!

Meffer

If anybody knows, I would like a suggestion. I was thinking about getting a Watch along with some medals but there's something I need to know. Which Watch should I get? The original or the newer one (the Zero one)? I'm not sure if the newer one can use the more recent medals while the older one can't. If both watches can use all medals I'll just get the original.

Meffer

Ordered a Watch on Amazon at around $40 which is pretty damn good. And I also a box of medal packs (those were more expensive than the watch lol). They all should get here around next month.

ubiblu

I had a minor Christmas miracle where I captured Master Nyada and Fuyunyan on their first battles yesterday. Loving all the Shinuchi changes also.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like Level-5 in a nutshell.

For real. They have very good technical skills, but I'll be damned if all of their games aren't boring as hell to me. I've tried a lot of them, but they never click.

Nightbird

For real. They have very good technical skills, but I'll be damned if all of their games aren't boring as hell to me. I've tried a lot of them, but they never click.

I on the other Hand loves everything Level 5 has put out so far. Only IE was a bit too much, after a Time.

Yokai Watch is my most hyped Game right now, i really cant wait to play that Game!

Impotaku

Nice! By the way, this the box of the packs I got. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NN2V4DO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ah so you're going down the dangerous slope of medals hehe, that's it you're at stage 3 they have you good now lol.

http://yw.b-boys.jp/member/products/product_list/

Here is a fantastic list that shows what medal works with each watch & game, however the list is not complete as there are some medals that have been released for a while but the website never updated them on it. I have my own text file listing every medal ever released and how it was available as keeping track of them all is really hard as they come out so fast with new ones and hidden in various ways to get them. I have fallen quite behind i have a lot of buying to recomplete my set as a lot was released over december.

If you need medal advice just ask away as i know where all of them appear.

Is there a site hosting QR codes for these games? Especially from some of the harder to find medals.

I was gifted a Japanese 3DS and a copy of the first and second game (black cover) for Christmas. I haven't had time to start a file as yet, while exploring Japan, but I'm looking forward to taking the time to do so tonight.

Could someone who is more familiar with the different versions please break down the bonuses awarded for linking multiple versions/save files? I read somewhere that there are some bonuses available for having a digital copy, I'd love clarification on that.

Dragoshi1

Hey guys, where do I find this one;

5a14cec2.png

Since its a B ranked Youkai, what does it mean? That I need a B ranked watch to find it? I just started the game, so I'm still a E rank.

Top Bottom