• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime Mafia |OT| My Little Scum can't be this cute! ()

TheExodu5

Banned
I don't know about Mafia, but Werewolf has Cupid, who wins when their selected Lovers are the only 2 other players remaining. The Lovers can only win this way, & die if their partner dies despite not knowing who their Lover is. Cupid has an "out" in some rulesets, where they join the Town if the Lovers die.

It makes a really difficult game for the Lovers. But this is Burb, so I expect there to be several Cupids.

So Lovers are essentially town, but they may be interested in lynching town late game if few scum remain. Cupid would be a neutral anti-town.

DAY 1 CURRENT VOTE TALLY:

squidyj (2)
cabot 116 146
SkyOdin 131
30yearsofhurt 251

No Lynch (2)
Poltergust 119
Nomadic Sparks 351

Haly (1)
cabot 146 305
Palmer_v1 398

30yearsofhurt (1)
rac 335

Poltergust (1)
squidyj 289

hey_monkey (1)
TheExodu5 344

Kyanrute (1)
Dusk Soldier 308

hatmoza (1)
cabot 347 353
hey_monkey 453

Nomadic Sparks (1)
Palmer_v1 352 398
cabot 353

WhereAreMahDragonz (1)
BlackBuzzard 320

rac (1)
Swamped 204
30yearsofhurt 220 251

cabot (0): Palmer_v1 274 352

No active vote for Day 1: Bowlie, Cewyn, Haly, hatmoza, Kyanrute, oreomunsta, StanleyPalmtree, ultron87, WhereAreMahDragonz, Zubz

Day 1 Postcount: 30yearsofhurt 12, BlackBuzzard 9, Bowlie 7, cabot 45, Cewyn 2, Dusk Soldier 11, Haly 15, hatmoza 0, hey_monkey 39, Kyanrute 4, Nomadic Sparks 19, oreomunsta 15, Palmer_v1 21, Poltergust 32, rac 14, SkyOdin 24, squidyj 29, StanleyPalmtree 5, Swamped 7, TheExodu5 4, ultron87 6, WhereAreMahDragonz 46, Zubz 10

Day 1 ends:
cya_1492894800.png

12 votes for majority

Zubz

Banned
So Lovers are essentially town, but they may be interested in lynching town late game if few scum remain. Cupid would be a neutral anti-town.

tumblr_inline_n3t7qbC9VK1qjyzrg.jpg

It's really the opposite. The Lovers & Cupid form their own Triad, & the Lovers have to make sure everyone else is dead. It doesn't matter what their original team or alliance was; no one else can be alive but the Lovers & Cupid.

Cupid turns full-town if the Lovers die, but they have no clue which team either Lover is on; they just know they're in love <3. So it's usually foolish to sacrifice them to join the town unless Cupid deduces they're both wolves or something.

It's way too early to be speculating the details here, but my guess is that Blarg put in 3 cupids: a Yaoi Shipper, a Yuri Shipper, & whatever a shipper who ships heterosexual couples is called.

(I do apologize for not being more active in this thread, I've just had shit pop up suddenly)

S'all good! We look forward to slaying with you when things clear up!

Not sure what a shipper would imply in a game of mafia. Is there a common analog to this role? Is it detrimental to town?

In Overwatch, I was the OTP shipper. A neutral who had to create a pair of lovers or be modkilled. I would win if my pair survived until the end game; if one died, the other would go, too.

Ended up getting Genji x Mercy without me knowing their roles when I chose them. Which is gross, because I am an adamant Pharmercy shipper.

SkyOdin

In Overwatch, I was the OTP shipper. A neutral who had to create a pair of lovers or be modkilled. I would win if my pair survived until the end game; if one died, the other would go, too.

Ended up getting Genji x Mercy without me knowing their roles when I chose them. Which is gross, because I am an adamant Pharmercy shipper.
I'm going to have to go. ack and read Overwatch mafia now after hearing this.

I feel like you've been a pretty active player in this!

Though I still can't reason out your decision to not lynch :/
oreomunsta, do you have any reads on people? Anyone stand out to you as suspicious? New perspectives are always useful.

Zubz

Banned

eda.gif

...But yeah. I haven't kept up with many games I haven't been in, but expect stuff like this if we have Lovers. Which we probably will.

oreomunsta, do you have any reads on people? Anyone stand out to you as suspicious? New perspectives are always useful.

A senpai has noticed me!! ( *&#8710;*)

Well, I'm not sure that I can confidently comment on every player who's participated yet, but here are some standouts to me:

Poltergust: What can I say about their behavior that hasn't been said yet? The pushing of the "lynch me, I'm vanilla" narrative only hurts us this early in the game. You should logically always be fighting to stay in the game, as it supports your cause, no matter who it is. The moment that you offer yourself up, you reveal that you're hiding something. Polter is either really just a vanilla, and might know of some PR Townies, or (less likely) is a scum. If they were scum and offering themselves up, that would hurt the scum side very badly, I'd think, because there are less scum than town if I correctly interpreted the rules. Polter is leaning Town - vanilla

Nomad: The "No lynch" agenda is weird. The premise to it, that having one less town is bad, is too simple for a game with depth like this. Someone already stated this better than I did, but even the death of a Townie can offer up some info to go on, based on the voting patterns of others. Not only that, but extending a phase of the game offers mafia more time to develop and quietly implement a pattern of discord in the town. Nomad sticks to his plan, though, so he's leaning scum for me.

Dragonz: This is the hardest player for me to get a read on. I get the strong impression that Dragonz is a pro at this (and a pro at weeaboomojis ( 'o') ), so either they are a strong player for the Town, or the kind of scum you can't figure out until late game. Can't tell lean - neutral.

Monkey: Some of monkey's statements leave me thinking... Some sound like accusations, but use softer terms, so as to try and throw shade without repercussions. I want to say leaning scum, but can't say that confidently.

Cabot: They've been bringing up some good points here and there, but I need to see more from them before I can make a confident statement. Neutral to me.

Ultron: They're spooky to me :< feels like Ultron is watching from the shadows. Neutral to me.

Odin: You have been pretty rational so far in this game, which is good for the Town, but could be a good cover if you're scum. Neutral to me.

Hazmot: A complete and utter rock. Truly hard to get a read on lol

This whole cupid thing changes everything...

It's all speculation at this point. We won't know for sure until day 2, at least. But it's still good to think about, in the back of your mind.

Oh, and I should also say that the lovers I chose got their own special chat. So if there is already a mason pair or equivalent out there, I highly doubt we would be dealing with a cupid at that point. Please don't come forward until a claim is necessary, though! b(~_^)d

Bowlie

Banned
I think it's likely that we have some lovers, and that's only because this is anime; I haven't read other burbs' games except for Love Boat to say it's his thing.

A cupid role, and three at that, is harder to believe as of now.

I don't care if there's a yaoi shipper around, in my headcanon squid is rin with the cop outfit

She only seems to do that on this thread so maybe a post condition?

her post condition so far is gaining a game by the end if things keep going like this. you all shy

I think it's likely that we have some lovers, and that's only because this is anime; I haven't read other burbs' games except for Love Boat to say it's his thing.

A cupid role, and three at that, is harder to believe as of now.

I don't care if there's a yaoi shipper around, in my headcanon squid is rin with the cop outfit

her post condition so far is gaining a game by the end if things keep going like this. you all shy

Y'all a bunch of casuals (&#3589;`&#969;´&#3589;)

Swamped

Banned
Monkey: Some of monkey's statements leave me thinking... Some sound like accusations, but use softer terms, so as to try and throw shade without repercussions. I want to say leaning scum, but can't say that confidently.

Interesting read. From a perfunctory read of the thread so far i felt similarly about her, but I'll be reading the thread tomorrow morning to really get a good opinion of her.

Maybe I'm D1-grasping-at-straws but there was one odd exchange between Squidy and another player. But i think i lean more town on him because of it.

There has to be a role involving gender, otherwise we wouldn't be assigned them. It's definitely not a red herring because this isn't a bastard game (one in which the moderator lies to the players). In a previous game (Werewolf i believe) there was a SK (serial killer) role that only targeted women. What a perverted hentai right? But don't panic just yet lol, let's see how this night goes first.

Monkey-chan is a girl???

Omg I'm so sorry (&#9711;&#916;&#9711;&#8741;)

Indeed. It's okay, though!

And I'm not throwing shade, just some mild suspicious. Except for the weirder incidents, there hasn't been much to move me - except this revelation about possible lovers. I've only played pretty vanilla mafia in the past. But I am pretty snarky.

SkyOdin

Thanks for the detailed response oreo.

As a reminder, Dragonz, I still wanted to hear why you read Haly as town. I know you said you woulod reply later, but it has been a few hours, and I want to remind you so my request doesn't get lost or forgotten. I'm waiting on cabot too, but I think he is asleep or something right now.

Now, it has been more than a day, and at this point I am content to take a "wait and see" approach to squidyj's odd choice of opening gambit. As I said earlier, I think I will save him for another day. So, without further ado:

Unvote

Right now I am more concerned by the fact that we have way too many players who are are on track to just barely squeak in over the ten-post-per-phase minimum. This is especially true for the posters who only show up to make some noise before vanishing again.

Watch list: Kyanrute, swamped, the exodu5, and ultron, since I know that they are veterans who have more experience than me in playing this game, yet they have been awfully quiet so far. It's suspicious.

So it's possible for the lovers (should they exist) to be of different alignments, right? That would make things really interesting since the special win condition for lovers can potentially contradict the win condition of their team.

As a reminder, Dragonz, I still wanted to hear why you read Haly as town. I know you said you woulod reply later, but it has been a few hours, and I want to remind you so my request doesn't get lost or forgotten. I'm waiting on cabot too, but I think he is asleep or something right now.

Now, it has been more than a day, and at this point I am content to take a "wait and see" approach to squidyj's odd choice of opening gambit. As I said earlier, I think I will save him for another day. So, without further ado:

Unvote

Right now I am more concerned by the fact that we have way too many players who are are on track to just barely squeak in over the ten-post-per-phase minimum. This is especially true for the posters who only show up to make some noise before vanishing again.

Watch list: Kyanrute, swamped, the exodu5, and ultron, since I know that they are veterans who have more experience than me in playing this game, yet they have been awfully quiet so far. It's suspicious.

Also looking at these 2.

Unvote

Oops! I totally forgot sorry.

It's primarily a gut read. I just went through his posts and you're right, there's not much substance there. But, the one common thread I can notice between all of them is this: he doesn't beat around the bush. He says exactly what he wants to say, no matter how harsh or offputting it may sound, which to me, does not indicate a scum carefully picking and choosing their words in order to appear town. He's not trying to appease anyone.

If I may, I can offer some insight here.

As I mentioned previously, Swamped does this in every game she's been in with me. It doesn't mean she's hiding in the scum chat, but it also doesn't mean she isn't either. This is just how she plays, which always makes her a difficult read. However, I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt here because of her consistent behavior as before.

I've been scum with Kyan...2, 3 times now? He tends to be more active in the scum chat than in the main thread. He likes to coordinate with his team before saying stuff. It's very early to tell, still, but he is also on my watch list. He always is, just as a general rule of thumb.

If I may, I can offer some insight here.

As I mentioned previously, Swamped does this in every game she's been in with me. It doesn't mean she's hiding in the scum chat, but it also doesn't mean she isn't either. This is just how she plays, which always makes her a difficult read. However, I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt here because of her consistent behavior as before.

I've been scum with Kyan...2, 3 times now? He tends to be more active in the scum chat than in the main thread. He likes to coordinate with his team before saying stuff. It's very early to tell, still, but he is also on my watch list. He always is, just as a general rule of thumb.

Very quick to rush to their defense...
...hmmmmm.

There is this. And I worry that it is making things more suspicious than they seem, or if people are posting more to fill holes, or... then again, I don't know what typical behavior is. Reading over the threads just isn't quite the same. The tempo is different.

That was a defense of Kyan? She's basically saying that his behavior is currently matching up with prior scum behavior.

Yes, which means he bears watching, if she's town. Or she could be scum and throwing attention onto him, since a few people have voted for her. <(¬&#65343;¬<)

But with all the quiet people, there could be some real wild cards. So who really knows.

There is this. And I worry that it is making things more suspicious than they seem, or if people are posting more to fill holes, or... then again, I don't know what typical behavior is. Reading over the threads just isn't quite the same. The tempo is different.

Yes, which means he bears watching, if she's town. Or she could be scum and throwing attention onto him, since a few people have voted for her. <(¬&#65343;¬<)

But with all the quiet people, there could be some real wild cards. So who really knows.

Kyan-kun always has attention on him. I don't think he's ever been town. Scum-me wouldn't need to throw attention; he has enough of that as it is, by default.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Kyan was town in MiniMaff III, and I do agree he's "usually" super active, but considering the short Day phases he probably just has RL scheduling stuff to go through.

Ultron tho...

Zubz

Banned
So it's possible for the lovers (should they exist) to be of different alignments, right? That would make things really interesting since the special win condition for lovers can potentially contradict the win condition of their team.

Yup. Lovers is the top priority on anyone's list of win conditions. If, say, 1 Lover is Seer & 1 is Scum, then they have to work together to pick off the rest of the Scum without throwing the Scum Lover under the bus. In many cases, the game can even role with just Townsfolk.

I don't want to push this point too far since it's still Day 1, but unlike Dragonz, I definitely don't think we should drop this entirely. If the Cupids are already at work, the Lovers may already know their partners (Depending on the ruleset; I've seen it done where Lovers are both aware & unaware of their partner. They usually don't know their Cupid at all).

As a result, that means we have more than just those Baka Gaijin Ugu Superheroes to worry about already.

Yup. Lovers is the top priority on anyone's list of win conditions. If, say, 1 Lover is Seer & 1 is Scum, then they have to work together to pick off the rest of the Scum without throwing the Scum Lover under the bus. In many cases, the game can even role with just Townsfolk.

I don't want to push this point too far since it's still Day 1, but unlike Dragonz, I definitely don't think we should drop this entirely. If the Cupids are already at work, the Lovers may already know their partners (Depending on the ruleset; I've seen it done where Lovers are both aware & unaware of their partner. They usually don't know their Cupid at all).

As a result, that means we have more than just those Baka Gaijin Ugu Superheroes to worry about already.

We knew that already. Town win-con references "ALL threats to anime", implying more than just gaijin scum.

Palmer_v1

I'm not going to have a ton of time between now and end of day, btw. I'm not trying to skate, but I've only going to be home long enough to sleep this weekend. Try to post from work tomorrow, but i can't promise anything.

Kevyt

I don't know about Mafia, but Werewolf has Cupid, who wins when their selected Lovers are the only 2 other players remaining. The Lovers can only win this way, & die if their partner dies despite not knowing who their Lover is. Cupid has an "out" in some rulesets, where they join the Town if the Lovers die.

That doesn't really make sense.

It makes a really difficult game for the Lovers. But this is Burb, so I expect there to be several Cupids

Actually, you're right... I can see that.

Top Bottom