• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokemon Game to be announced next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Whats all this questioning over if DS & 3DS games can communicate? Wifi is wifi! Its nothing like the difference between not only game code but physcial link cable ports with the older games... right?

B/W were also taking longer than they expected in development, so they got another team to work on them.

Huh? Isn't the standard for new generations to come out every 4 years which is exactly when B/W hit? Were they trying to get them out a year earlier but instead had to fall back to G/S/C remakes?

jkanownik

You're wrong in so many ways.

Really?

128px-583Vanillish.png
tumblr_lqv92ztnUr1qf64pr.png
115px-370Luvdisc.png
Burmy.png
Rotom_All.png

survivor

Banned
Really?

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/2/2f/583Vanillish.png/128px-583Vanillish.png[IMG][IMG]http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqv92ztnUr1qf64pr.png[IMG][IMG]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/thumb/1/1d/370Luvdisc.png/115px-370Luvdisc.png[IMG][IMG]http://images.wikia.com/pokemon/images/9/9e/Burmy.png[IMG][IMG]http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110213031932/pokemon/images/a/aa/Rotom_All.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Do you want us to post old Pokemon designs that also suck? Cause that would be a long list

Guys this game combination idea thing isn't that good I think. You forget how those stories were paced and stuff. All the early areas are designed to be slow introductions to get you going.

The only way it would work is if you had the second area as a Gold/Silver style affair where it's a new story and chunks of content are skipped, but then that wouldn't really be a remake.
Realistically the only way it would work and still be fun imo is if after beating the E4 you had an option to start all over but in hoenn. All your pokemon got moved to the pc and you can get them back after beating Hoenns E4.

All this is just ideas that won't happen.

Mik2121

What does that mean?

You're making a ton of statements and although the sentences make sense I can't actually understand the thoughts behind them.

Will Grey also be 100% compatible with future 3DS Pokémon titles in your plan? Along with... remakes of Yellow and Crystal? How would this work?

I think what he means is that Grey could potentially use a new engine and have new features, therefore marking a new start for Pokemon, on the 3DS. It would be like if Silver and Gold released for the GBA and then Crystal for DS looking the same as R&B. It would create the new 'base' for the next Pokemon titles to come.

He isn't saying it would start a new generation or anything though.

At least that's how I understood it.

Also, hopefully it's for the 3DS. The DS games have black borders on the 3DS and that looks horrible :(

I think more than anything else, new pokemon designs often strike me as gamefreak simply having run out of ideas. They're compensating this by either A) making overly complex designs to differentiate pokemon that lose all charm in the process or B) modeling pokemon after ice cream and kitchen appliances, which just reeks of silliness. There are still some great designs in there, but the great:dud ratio seems stronger than it was in gen I and even II.

edit- on topic, I'm hoping to see this release on the 3DS, whatever it turns out to be. The DS is already too outdated of a platform to make such a major release on. When this is announced in a few days it will be even more outdated. When the game actually hits shelves in 6-8 months it will make exponentially less sense to be on the DS than it already does now.

In my personal opinion. The generation with the worst designs is the Fourth generation. Second has the best, with First in second place, while Third and Fifth tied.
That's not without saying that I love each and every mainline Pokemon game.

Davey Cakes

Every generation has its design duds. I just think that my tolerance for them has decreased over the years.

It's a little bit nostalgia, but I also think that it's been unnecessary to introduce 100 or more new Pokemon with each game.

There are too many Pokemon out there. What's the count now, over 500? (I don't even keep track). So as Game Freak continues to come up with these things, they maintain a certain ratio of dud designs (Voltorb/Luvdisc-alikes) and a certain amount of repetitious ones (e.g. Pidgey/Spearow-alikes).

Daschysta

Every generation has its design duds. I just think that my tolerance for them has decreased over the years.

It's a little bit nostalgia, but I also think that it's been unnecessary to introduce 100 or more new Pokemon with each game.

There are too many Pokemon out there. What's the count now, over 500? (I don't even keep track). So as Game Freak continues to come up with these things, they maintain a certain ratio of dud designs and a certain amount of repetitious ones (e.g. Pidgey/Spearow-alikes).

Having new pokemon is a necessity, it's the backbone of the entire collection aspect of the game. We'd miss out on tons of new awesome mon if we stopped having tons of new ones. Plus games would get stale faster as you run into geodude and zubat in caves over and over even more often than we do now. Even if some designs are rips it keeps it fun and fresh when playing through the game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

There are too many Pokemon out there. What's the count now, over 500? (I don't even keep track). So as Game Freak continues to come up with these things, they maintain a certain ratio of dud designs (Voltorb/Luvdisc-alikes) and a certain amount of repetitious ones (e.g. Pidgey/Spearow-alikes).

Most likely nostalgia, since people who are new into the series won't have that problem.

Also, some might have similar designs but their "goodness" varies. For instance the Starly line is clearly superior to Pidgey line.

Davey Cakes

Well, that also has to do with the fact that the games themselves are repetitious in their own designs, maintaining "staple" features. I agree that running into Zubats and Geodudes would get boring but in my opinion it doesn't make much things fresher if I have to do the same task (get through a cave) while fending of Zubat-alikes and Geodude-alikes. I agree that collection is important but my point is that less focus should have been put on the amount of new Pokemon (while still introducing a certain number of new ones), and more focus should have been on making it so that subsequent games in the series didn't necessarily have "Zubat caves" in the same manner as Gens 1 and 2.

But honestly, this series isn't developed to cater to Pokemon fans from over a decade ago. Every gen or so is catered to the current young audience for the most part. So the argument is a bit moot. If someone isn't going to play the older game that I experienced, then why shouldn't the newer game keep to the already-established series staples?

upandaway

From a player POV, the more Pokemon the better. There IS a number that would be bad to cross but I doubt we'll ever get there anyway. Gen 5's ecosystem reboot aside, the new Pokemon are metered out in a slow enough pace (both in-game and over the past decade) that there's no real way for someone to be overwhelmed with it. As far as multiplayer goes, the community divides them into groups and ignores as many as possible to make it easier to swallow.

Aside from being overwhelmed with it, what other issue could come from having as many species as possible?

From GF's POV, they probably need to find some workaround to the maintenance or the games will get half-assed soon

so...is there a new pokemon game? a reboot perhaps?

playing through heartgold right now, and my gosh, nostalgia.
i want to play red again... :(

i couldnt continue to play black/white: anybody else have this problem?
doesn't didnt want to finish it after 2nd gym. perhaps its the characters, the Pokemons, the story... i dunno.

Davey Cakes

Also, I never trained a Starly so I'm curious how is it superior to Pidgey? And, how, for example, is Taillow better than Spearow? Other than in terms of stats, I mean.

I'm not against more species. But I don't consider the Pokemon world analogous to the regular world and therefore don't really see the need for extensive repetition.

But I'm still of the opinion that the Pokemon selection wasn't perfect from the get-go either, and even my favorite game in the series (Silver) introduced some stupid designs. A coral Pokemon, really? A completely unnecessary evolution of Chansey? Really?

I'm just trying to think of where the line should have been drawn.

Davey Cakes

In terms of some of the Gen 1 Pokemon (and some choices from all gens, honestly), with many of the bad ones at least there was simplicity to them.

Like Voltorb/Electrode. Yeah, they're bad, but their inoffensive. "Oh, they look like Pokeballs. That's weird, almost lazy, but whatever."

Or Grimer/Muk. "Oh, they're just piles of gunk. Kind of lame but whatever."

With subsequent gens the bad or questionable designs are not bad in a simple way, they're bad in an over-thought sort of way. For example, Trubbish is like Grimer, but is a trash bag. A fucking trash bag. It's not just bad, but feels like it was forced. "What kind of gross thing can we make into a poison-type? Let me go into the kitchen and brainstorm."

upandaway

Also, I never trained a Starly so I'm curious how is it superior to Pidgey? And, how, for example, is Taillow better than Spearow? Other than in terms of stats, I mean.

I'm not against more species. But I don't consider the Pokemon world analogous to the regular world and therefore don't really see the need for repetition.
But Sinnoh is different from Kanto. I'd much rather Sinnoh have Starly than Pidgey. It doesn't make sense for the same bird to be everywhere.

I guess if you mean that you want Starly to be more different, then I agree. It would look slightly different and be a different type, but those differences are still a bit superficial. It still needs to be a bird and it still needs to be everywhere.

JazzmanZ

I'm not against more species. But I don't consider the Pokemon world analogous to the regular world and therefore don't really see the need for extensive repetition.

But I'm still of the opinion that the Pokemon selection wasn't perfect from the get-go either, and even my favorite game in the series (Silver) introduced some stupid designs. A coral Pokemon, really? A completely unnecessary evolution of Chansey? Really?

I'm just trying to think of where the line should have been drawn.

Playing Soul silver, I found out the pidgey line doesn't learn a good flying type attack until lv.36
and that move is Wing attack.

The only other flying move they can learn is Gust until then, and the only flying type TM in the game early on is Roost, so you literally have to wait until you get FLY or reach lv.36 to teach the pidgey line some good moves.

Meanwhile Spearow gets Aerial ace pretty early in it's levels.
Starly gets wing attack at 9, and Aerial Ace at 28

Acrylic7

In terms of some of the Gen 1 Pokemon (and some choices from all gens, honestly), with many of the bad ones at least there was simplicity to them.

Like Voltorb/Electrode. Yeah, they're bad, but their inoffensive. "Oh, they look like Pokeballs. That's weird, almost lazy, but whatever."

Or Grimer/Muk. "Oh, they're just piles of gunk. Kind of lame but whatever."

With subsequent gens the bad or questionable designs are not bad in a simple way, they're bad in an over-thought sort of way. For example, Trubbish is like Grimer, but is a trash bag. A fucking trash bag. It's not just bad, but feels like it was forced. "What kind of gross thing can we make into a poison-type? Let me go into the kitchen and brainstorm."

Grimmer and Muk are awesome/ I don't really thing that that any of them are simplistic in design. Especially when I read the Info from Pokedex's and old Pokemon cards. Everything just made melded together perfectly.

Davey Cakes

I like them all too. Then again, I'm more attached to Pokemon circa 1998 than anything else, as a franchise anyway. Like I said, Silver is my favorite actual game.

But in terms of thinking up an idea for a poison Pokemon, "pile of sludge" isn't the best idea. That's all I'm saying. Though unlike Trubbish, it's at least simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom