• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upcoming Vita Games (~200+ Upcoming games in ENGLISH) || 2017 Edition ||

Cornbread78

Isn't they a Clannad version for the PSP and some group manage to do a translate of the game for it? I don't know much about it but with the official translate version of the game of the PC, it shouldn't be too hard to do the vita one now if they is enough demand for it.

Sekei Project localized the PC version, but nothing in English for Vita or PS4 in NA, unfortunaly.

evilsin

I decide to pick up a Vita for Persona 4 Golden, the urge was brought up by Persona 5, haha. Seeing this thread makes me even more so inclined to buy it. Any tips or suggestions for a future Vita owner?

I decide to pick up a Vita for Persona 4 Golden, the urge was brought up by Persona 5, haha. Seeing this thread makes me even more so inclined to buy it. Any tips or suggestions for a future Vita owner?

Buy all the Atelier games.

Also The Nonary Games if you haven't played them, and Shiren 5.

Buy a Slim and at least a 16GB memory card. Anything smaller and you'll end up frustrated at some point

If you like JRPG's, you're on a goldmine. My recommendations: The Atelier Games; Lost Dimension; Tales of Hearts R and Ys: Memories of Celceta would be my recommendations.

Also the DanganRonpa games are godly.

evilsin

Buy all the Atelier games.

Also The Nonary Games if you haven't played them, and Shiren 5.
Buy a Slim and at least a 16GB memory card. Anything smaller and you'll end up frustrated at some point
If you like JRPG's, you're on a goldmine. My recommendations: The Atelier Games; Lost Dimension; Tales of Hearts R and Ys: Memories of Celceta would be my recommendations.

Also the DanganRonpa games are godly.
Thank you so much for the suggestions! Funny that I heard about all these games and I wanted to check them out before. Now I just need to find a good deal here.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)

My personal suggestion is to hunt down a PCH-1000. Having used both the OLED PCH-1000 and LCD PCH-2000, the slightly longer battery life, slightly reduced weight, and ditching of the proprietary USB cable do not justify the massive reduction in black levels and introduction of (admittedly minor) ghosting. PCH-1000 build quality is also undeniably superior.

Get at least a 16GB memory card. If money is no object, an (import-only) 64GB card will do you for life.

If Remote Play and PSone Classics interest you, I would look into the excellent L2/R2 grips from Joetsu (models available for both the PCH-1000 and PCH-2000) and Hori (PCH-2000 only, although they offer a grip that supports L2/R2/L3/R3). These grips are also import-only.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! Funny that I heard about all these games and I wanted to check them out before. Now I just need to find a good deal here.

You should also check Vanillaware's games (Muramasa, Dragon's Crown, Odin Sphere), a bit repetitive but they're really great

i-Jest

I HAVE A QUESTION

Okay, as I'm sure you guys know some Asian region Vita games come with English subtitles. My question is, does Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax Ignition have this? Can you switch menus to English in the games settings?

EDIT:

How are you storing your extra memory cards everyone? My 64GB is finally full and I need to buy another.

Saphirax

So, uhh when will we be able to preorder Period Cube in EU? I know Aksys said it'd be a limited release, but I haven't seen any websites with a listing so far.

evilsin

My personal suggestion is to hunt down a PCH-1000. Having used both the OLED PCH-1000 and LCD PCH-2000, the slightly longer battery life, slightly reduced weight, and ditching of the proprietary USB cable do not justify the massive reduction in black levels and introduction of (admittedly minor) ghosting. PCH-1000 build quality is also undeniably superior.

Get at least a 16GB memory card. If money is no object, an (import-only) 64GB card will do you for life.

If Remote Play and PSone Classics interest you, I would look into the excellent L2/R2 grips from Joetsu (models available for both the PCH-1000 and PCH-2000) and Hori (PCH-2000 only, although they offer a grip that supports L2/R2/L3/R3). These grips are also import-only.
You should also check Vanillaware's games (Muramasa, Dragon's Crown, Odin Sphere), a bit repetitive but they're really great
Thank you for the help, guys!

Ugh, it's so frustrating, I can't find a Vita anywhere here in Russia, it's all gone. I'm really afraid of ordering somewhere abroad too. This is so upsetting.

Jimrpg

I finally got around to opening up my copy of DOA5+ which I ordered a couple of months ago... and WOW, Uncharted was the best looking game that I'd play so far, but I honestly think this is on a whole other level. Holy shit. Firstly the models look just as good in the close up shots. I think they're slightly downgraded while fighting and the backgrounds for some arenas are obviously downgraded from the PS3 version, but it feels GREAT at 60fps and the art direction is fantastic, especially the cherry blossom tree stage.

Another that doesn't have this - should give it a shot, even if there is an overwhelming amount of boobs (probably a non issue for Vita fans I'm guessing).

They're switching to the Vita 2.0.
Ugh.

You must hate going to all the game announcment threads, because everyone of them is basically - Where's the Switch version?

Jimrpg

Thank you for the help, guys!

Ugh, it's so frustrating, I can't find a Vita anywhere here in Russia, it's all gone. I'm really afraid of ordering somewhere abroad too. This is so upsetting.

I have to disagree with the poster above. The Vita 2000 slim is an infinitely better console. I have both.

+ The Slim is slimmer, lighter and has better battery life. It definitely feels better for me holding it.
+ It's redesigned and it probably got rid of first gen issues.
+ If you buy a Vita 1000, it'll be at least 3-4 years old if not more AND had more wear and tear.
+ The Slim LCD screen is better and probably last you longer. People have had issues with the original OLED screen.
+ It has 1gb ram, if you don't use a memory card. If you do, it doesn't use the internal 1gb ram. I'd say get at least 16gb, its another $40, but its better than the 8gb. The 8gb might only let you fit 4-5 large games on it, whereas you'll have a bit more breathing room on the 16gb.
+ If you can't find a Vita locally, Play-asia, Ami-ami still have them I think. You can use any region Vita to access your PSN account/shop, however you're only allowed one PSN account on the Vita which means if you want to use multiple shops like the US, EU you need to do a factory reset, which is a pain in the butt. Also X,O buttons (confirm/cancel) are swapped in Japan.

- The original Vita has slightly darker blacks from what I can, but you wouldn't know it unless you put them side by side. That's subjective, but I'd take the 'newer' screen any day of the week.

Here's a more in depth post between Vita 1000 vs Vita 2000 from the Happy 4th Bday Vita thread.

Marketing buzzwords 4 lyfe!

In all seriousness, though, the OLED display is one thing I *don't* remember fondly about the Vita, as it was an early gen display with a number of inherent flaws. Above and beyond the "blotches" mentioned, there were a number of issues with it, issues which were rectified by the Vita-2000, a criminally underrated and underappreciated hardware refresh that seems to have been snubbed by most fans of the system in the west:

1) Poor calibration, resulting in gaudy oversaturated colours. The IPS panel in Vita-2000 is well calibrated, and only shows saturation where it's necessary (like in Persona 4 Dancing).

The white point was also way off, which gave the screen this unnatural blue glow, as whites would appear blue-ish.

2) Burn in. Some users had the web browser menu bars burned into their screen, others had game HUDs.

3) very low max brightness. Peaks at 117cdm2, when IPS LCDs were reaching 600cdm2. This made it pretty unusable outdoors.

4) Mura/grain, which renders solid colours as grainy canvases, which is quite noticeable and distracting.

5) Power consumption.
Vita-2000's LCD gets the system about 2 hours more battery life out of a charge. One of OLED's strengths, the amazingly deep black levels, were also squandered with Vita, as most of the OS and games aren't designed around black UIs or environments where the pixels are turned off. This isn't a big deal, but it's worth noting.

6) It's covered in greasy plastic. The Vita-2000's LCD is covered in oleophobic glass, which feels much better to the thumb, but also means fingerprints are never a problem. Every time I pull the Vita-2000 out of my pocket the screen is spotless. Meanwhile the Vita-1000 OLED was always covered in distracting fingerprint oil stains. The plastic was also uneven, giving it a cheaper feeling.

7) Limited lifespan. Vita's OLED uses an RGB stripe, so it has a full amount of red, green and blue subpixels. While this is better than an OLED "PenTile" subpixel matrix, which would result in a lower perceived resolution, it means that the image quality degrades over time.

Blue subpixels in OLED displays degrade faster than the others, which results in even worse colour reproduction over the lifespan of the device (Samsung estimated degradation to occur after 18 months of daily use). So a screen that already displays stupidly off colours gets worse over time.

Modern OLED displays have overcome a lot of these problems (1, 3 and 5, number 7 is fixed by using a PenTile subpixel matrix combined with a higher ppi), so I wouldn't mind seeing the tech return in a future handheld either, but the Vita-1000's hasn't aged well by today's standards. The only real benefit today to the Vita-1000's display is better response times, as the deep blacks are wasted since few games and apps show blacks.

---

I went off on a tangent there, but that's the thing, the main issue with Vita's messaging in the first year was an abundance of marketing terms which meant nothing to the customer - OLED, twin sticks, rear touchpad, 2ghz quad core (the Cortex A9 cores in the Vita don't actually run at 2ghz anyway), these phrases ultimately carried little meaning. At the end of the day what mattered was the games, and I've had hundreds of hours of fun with my Vita, playing a variety of games that weren't linked to such marketing buzzwords.

While marketing has also played a large role in PS4's success, the difference there was that marketing played to peoples' emotions in a way Vita's didn't. So Sony at least learned from Vita's mistakes there.

It's easy to see in hindsight why the Vita didn't take off as well as we hoped (mainly a reliance on IP in the early days that didn't carry massmarket appeal, poorly defined marketing buzzwords which meant little to the consumer, and a lack of differentiation from the experience people can get from Sony's own consoles in face of the rising convenience of smartphone games).

But at the end of the day the games ended up carrying more weight for how we perceive the system today. And the changing market took Vita to new places, which I liked a lot. Instead of receiving the odd port of games designed for home console and big TVs (as good as some of those were), we saw Sony open the gates to independent developers and the system play host to a bunch of otherwise-overlooked games from Japan whose western releases would have been unthinkable in the market 5-10 years ago. As a handheld it's a superb complement to any other platform, including its closest cousin the 3DS. And ironically, Sony's plans not to release a successor should keep this system kicking about for many years to come, I think. Vita really *does* mean life.

maouvin

I have to disagree with the poster above. The Vita 2000 slim is an infinitely better console. I have both.

(...)

Here's a more in depth post between Vita 1000 vs Vita 2000 from the Happy 4th Bday Vita thread.

Preach.

People seem to forget that toad's list is not a comparison of OLED x LCD in general, but specifically Vita's OLED x Vita's LCD. All of it stands.
If you want saturated colors and "perfect blacks" you'll only notice on very specific situations, that's your call. Would never take that over than every other point (listed by toad an arbok, to which I agree wholeheartidly having and using both models nowadays) the Vita 2000 beats Vita 1000.

+ It has 1gb ram, if you don't use a memory card. If you do, it doesn't use the internal 1gb ram. I'd say get at least 16gb, its another $40, but its better than the 8gb. The 8gb might only let you fit 4-5 large games on it, whereas you'll have a bit more breathing room on the 16gb.

Smh....hardly an argument, this. You WILL need a memory card when you buy a Vita. Don't try to make it seem to people like that isn't the case when they buy a 2000. That 1Gb RAM is a useless feature that nobody uses.

+ It's redesigned and it probably got rid of first gen issues.

Another non-argument. "Probably got rid", really? If you don't know of any "first gen issues", then don't make it seem like there are any.

I'm not going into which model is better, btw. Just don't like people misinforming people on here.

When we get Dynasty Warriors Godseekers but no Warriors All-Stars - at all, you know the former either bombed hard, which is not surprising or KT is mostly done with the Vita in the west.

I still want Blue Reflection.

evilsin

*snip*
Oh wow, thank you for this write up. I was thinking about the slim one from the beginning, but I was willingto hear what people have to say about the console in general. I will look up Play-Asia nad Ami-Ami although I ave little expirience ordering from abroad. Will try to scour local tech stores, fingers crossed they have some in stock still.

jzbluz

Oh wow, thank you for this write up. I was thinking about the slim one from the beginning, but I was willingto hear what people have to say about the console in general. I will look up Play-Asia nad Ami-Ami although I ave little expirience ordering from abroad. Will try to scour local tech stores, fingers crossed they have some in stock still.

I doubt amiami has any in stock. I think you can still buying it from Amazon JP, they charge import fees but they usually refund it a few weeks later.

When we get Dynasty Warriors Godseekers but no Warriors All-Stars - at all, you know the former either bombed hard, which is not surprising or KT is mostly done with the Vita in the west.

I still want Blue Reflection.

It is probably a mix of both. I didnt even know about Godseekers until I randomly saw it on a Vita youtube channel and its got a mixed reception, especially on the Vita.

And for the spoilers, be prepared for a similar situation to Nights of Azure both Vita quality in Japan and western release...

*sigh* Well I would love the localization companies to go back and get some of the titles that are older and didnt make it west. I think there are a few fan translations out there thanks to the Heikaku (sp?). Hell, I have played Hollow Fragment, I would be ok with a decent Google Translate localization.

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/statuses/851781854923444229

I guess Toukiden 2 was a farewell from KT's western branches on Vita.

I don't get what game I was supposed to have bought to make this happen on Vita in the west.

Oh well, importing it is then.

It's nice that even if it's been a very rocky few years for Vita with so much being skipped, there's still pockets of awesome like this happening.

If PQube genuinely did grab this it'd be all the more hilarious given XSEED's comments on it.

(I'll be there day 1 regardless of who brings it across btw)

OT: And since Takao hasn't posted it here yet, Romancing SaGa 2 Vita is still still coming west; also Romancing SaGa 3:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=233725862&postcount=1

Jimrpg

Smh....hardly an argument, this. You WILL need a memory card when you buy a Vita. Don't try to make it seem to people like that isn't the case when they buy a 2000. That 1Gb RAM is a useless feature that nobody uses.

Another non-argument. "Probably got rid", really? If you don't know of any "first gen issues", then don't make it seem like there are any.

I'm not going into which model is better, btw. Just don't like people misinforming people on here.

My bad, I did mean definitely get a memory card and at least a 16gb one, though that 1gb internal space could be used on a short term basis.

And to your second comment, that was bad wording I agree. What I wanted to say was console redesigns usually take advantage of lower part prices and removing flaws from the system and these things aren't usually disclosed by Sony. Most of the 2nd iteration consoles I've used have been better than the first, PS3, Xbox 360, DS Lite and even the DSi come to mind. Though the PSP might have been an anomaly, as the PSP-3000 was better but not the PSP 2000 because of ghosting? I forget. If nothing else, buying a 'new' slim in 2016 is a better bet because its been used less, than buying a used original vita if you don't have a strong preference for the original.

Btw, I was reading the NeoGAF Pick Up Thread, and didn't realise you were the one with the amazing game collection. Awesome stuff.

And to your second comment, that was bad wording I agree. What I wanted to say was console redesigns usually take advantage of lower part prices and removing flaws from the system and these things aren't usually disclosed by Sony. Most of the 2nd iteration consoles I've used have been better than the first, PS3, Xbox 360, DS Lite and even the DSi come to mind. Though the PSP might have been an anomaly, as the PSP-3000 was better but not the PSP 2000 because of ghosting? I forget. If nothing else, buying a 'new' slim in 2016 is a better bet because its been used less, than buying a used original vita if you don't have a strong preference for the original.

It really depends how you look at it. There are definitely consoles out there where later iterations were an improvement all across the board. You mentioned the XBOX360, which is a great example of that, and some others. It doesn't happen very often (anymore) that a console manufacturer introduces new flaws in later models either.

But in many cases features do get stripped from new models. E.g. GB Micro, Wii mini, PSP Go, PSP E1000, PS3 (stripped of PS2 backwards compatibility), etc... Oftentimes newer models "look and feel cheaper" as well. E.g. the PS3 Super Slim is not as nice esthetically to many people.

So it usually comes down to personal preference. As for the Vita: I feel like Sony didn't really "fix" anything that absolutely needed fixing between Vita 1000 and 2000. The 1000 is a great piece of hardware any way you look at it. And the 2000 doesn't remove the need for proprietary memory cards, which is arguably the biggest flaw of the console.

One thing that you forgot to mention, I think, is the proprietary charging cable of the 1000, vs the micro USB one of the 2000. If ever one would lose or break the Vita charging cable of their 1000, that could prove to be a real problem.

Btw, I was reading the NeoGAF Pick Up Thread, and didn't realise you were the one with the amazing game collection. Awesome stuff.

Not sure how my collection would stand out among the stuff some other people on here gathered through the years. But I did go a little crazy on Vita, if that's what you're referring to. ;-) My Vita set is not that big on LE's etc. But I'm slowly getting closer to a full English language set.

Jimrpg

It really depends how you look at it. There are definitely consoles out there where later iterations were an improvement all across the board. You mentioned the XBOX360, which is a great example of that, and some others. It doesn't happen very often (anymore) that a console manufacturer introduces new flaws in later models either.

But in many cases features do get stripped from new models. E.g. GB Micro, Wii mini, PSP Go, PSP E1000, PS3 (stripped of PS2 backwards compatibility), etc... Oftentimes newer models "look and feel cheaper" as well. E.g. the PS3 Super Slim is not as nice esthetically to many people.

So it usually comes down to personal preference. As for the Vita: I feel like Sony didn't really "fix" anything that absolutely needed fixing between Vita 1000 and 2000. The 1000 is a great piece of hardware any way you look at it. And the 2000 doesn't remove the need for proprietary memory cards, which is arguably the biggest flaw of the console.

One thing that you forgot to mention, I think, is the proprietary charging cable of the 1000, vs the micro USB one of the 2000. If ever one would lose or break the Vita charging cable of their 1000, that could prove to be a real problem.

Not sure how my collection would stand out among the stuff some other people on here gathered through the years. But I did go a little crazy on Vita, if that's what you're referring to. ;-) My Vita set is not that big on LE's etc. But I'm slowly getting closer to a full English language set.

Yes definitely there are also the fair share of models that have cheaped out, like the PSP E1000, the last model that bizarrely had the wifi taken out, which is still crazy when I think about it. But on the whole, just my opinion, I would personally recommend the Vita 2000 over the 1000 for the reasons above with the caveat that the 2000 has an LCD screen which going from everything I read on the internet is hopefully more reliable.

Removing the proprietary memory card, would have patched up a lot of good will with customers and that dang proprietary cable - I bought two extra because my original broke!

Regarding your collection, I was always impressed by the number of games on your shelves, it looked like one of the better collections on Gaf. The 5th birthday thread from last year also had some very impressive Vita collections and one of the reasons I started collecting a few more Vita titles.

Top Bottom