• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon |OT| Where You Are the Pokemon

And will this be too tough for a 5 year old?
Yes.

This is the only Pokemon-branded game that I would say is definitely too hard for younger children. It's actually kind of hilarious in a way.

I recommend getting an earlier installment. I found those games to be much easier than this one. Well, I never played Gates to Infinity but I've seen people on GAF complain about how that game was apparently way too easy so that might be a good intro to the series for your kid.

Evilkazz

Banned
How's this compared to Sky, Red/Blue? Haven't played Gates to Infinity.

From what I played very good. The story is actually as good as those (form the 20 hours I've played) with twists and turns and some dark themes. The gameplay is actually harder this time around requiring smart use of special items and random ability drops. The recruitment system is also arguably improved but makes the balance wierd. In the beginning you can potentially recruit lvl 50 mons when you're like 12 and use them in regular missions. But they have a cool down and wont be available for a while later. I dont know if that changes in the post game but it was certainly weird when I played.

Gates in my opinion was a disappointment because of so much forced gen 5, not every starter available, gameplay is pretty copypaste, and slow text speed.

Kyzer

Banned
I never got to play any of the mystery du geon games and always wanted to, I heard the story was incredible. Is this one along the same lines? Will I get feels?

JoeM86

I never got to play any of the mystery du geon games and always wanted to, I heard the story was incredible. Is this one along the same lines? Will I get feels?

Absolutely, and not just because of this

CPG0g4KXAAAM9Cw.png

:(

Joqu

Absolutely, and not just because of this

CPG0g4KXAAAM9Cw.png

Yeah. I watched the Tri Force Heroes credits recently and that took me by surprise. Don't know why, it only makes sense for the name to be there.

Mhm. My first and only PMD game was Red Rescue Team before this. I really loved Red Rescue Team and I was surprised at how critically unliked it was. After all the trailers and things I heard about Super Mystery Dungeon a ways before release, I got really excited and decided it was time I get back into the series.

Red Rescue Team was my first too. Must have had a DS back then so I've got no idea why I picked the GBA version. But I picked it up without reading any reviews all the way back then just because I thought it looked really neat. Actually playing as a Pokemon? Hell yeah. I don't think my reasoning was any more complicated than that. And then the story really took me by surprise in that game, as I think PMD tends to do with newcomers. And I really enjoyed the gameplay too! Never gonna forget that game. I think I lost the box though. :(

Anyway, I don't know what exactly it is but everything I've seen of Super gives me a real Rescue Team vibe so you getting back with this one makes sense to me. I really love the Explorers entries too so I can definitely recommend that one, preferably Sky, but they're very distinct to me somehow.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The OT says "playable pokemon" and there are about 20 choices. Does that just mean "starters"? Can I eventually use any captured pokemon in my party and ditch the starter?

Starters + Riolu.

Also just correction - you don't "capture" Pokemon, you make connections with the orb. With that said, outside of story mode, you can use any connected Pokemon without even using you and your partner, and you can hit L to switch between characters you control.

The OT says "playable pokemon" and there are about 20 choices. Does that just mean "starters"? Can I eventually use any captured pokemon in my party and ditch the starter?

So, you are a pokemon in this game, but you have a team of 3 going into each dungeon eventually. You can use any pokemon you've connected with in that 3rd slot (not sure if you can replace you or your partner on the team) , and inside dungeons you can switch the current leader to that 3rd pokemon. Post game, I think you can walk around as anybody, even in town? Not sure.

Joqu

I wrote that part in the image, sorry. Maybe I should have gone with "starter Pokemon" for clarity but yeah, basically you're a proper character in these games and not some random critter. These 20 are the ones you choose from to play as throughout the story.

Post-game you should be allowed to pick from aaaall the other Pokemon but I felt like that stuff was less important because well, it's post-game stuff? It probably should have been mentioned though. :/

Battlechili

Banned
I'll update the first post shortly to include a bit more clarity with regards to playable Pokemon.

Anywho, I'm on Chapter 6 and have just formed my very own Team Littlesketch! My first quest seems to involve saving a cute little Sylveon. Also, I strongly suspect and will probably be wrong that Ampharos
was originally a human. Or is with those weird critters that were chasing me at the very beginning of the game
EDIT: Also Pancham is so tsundere, haha
d5adCcR.jpg

Boss Doggie

Ehh Ampharos's surprise isn't really spoilerish or anything, at most it's mild. Especially if you look up Coro Coro stuff.

So, you are a pokemon in this game, but you have a team of 3 going into each dungeon eventually. You can use any pokemon you've connected with in that 3rd slot (not sure if you can replace you or your partner on the team) , and inside dungeons you can switch the current leader to that 3rd pokemon. Post game, I think you can walk around as anybody, even in town? Not sure.

Hell you can use any Pokemon anywhere outside of story-delivered dungeons.

TrickRoom

This game's plot sure does take its sweet time to ramp up, but when it does, hooo boy... it feels the plot overall just escalates exponentially.

Spoilers up to the Third-to-Last Boss on the save menu:

Wow. I did not expect a sudden evolution like that. Nor did I need it, to be honest; I was doing just fine against Entei as it was! Then again, ending the battle if you actually defeated him the first time around would not have been nearly as awesome.

And not to mention that amazing battle theme.

I consider myself experienced with regards to roguelikes and haven't wiped a single time so far, but I can definitely feel the challenge coming from this game and its demand for me to think things through, or else suffer a YASD. The Emera system is really neat in how it turns each individual dungeon into its own "roguelike run", so to speak. It feels like this game is a great start to playing roguelikes in general, even moreso than the other Mystery Dungeons, because it gives you an honest showing of what the genre's about.

Boss Doggie

Same, technically didn't need
to evolve
because of items lol

with that said the damage took a huge buff

So is this game so better than explorers of the sky?
That was the last mystery dungeon game I played and I heard Gates to Affinity wasn't that great so..

TrickRoom

I was playing this game on and off before, but at this point I'm finding it harder and harder to find a proper place to stop with how the story's winding and twisting. I've currently filled out every story portrait except the last one.

Nuzleaf's betrayal stung me quite a bit. I know there's a pretty common theme in PMD where someone turns out to be good, and someone else turns out to be bad, but sheesh I didn't expect it to be the dude that I almost considered a second partner.

I also didn't expect to get sent to hell and get pitted in a 3-Mega battle to get out.

I've really got to hand it to Chunsoft's writers for pushing the boundaries for Pokemon plot.

So is this game so better than explorers of the sky?
That was the last mystery dungeon game I played and I heard Gates to Affinity wasn't that great so..

As someone who's logged hundreds of hours on Sky, I can say that this game so far definitely contends. It has a wind-up time for the plot to take off, but gameplay gets challenging fairly early on. There's also lots of quality-of-life improvements made since Sky, and they overhauled the effects of many moves, abilities, and items to make them more dungeon-relevant. It all feels very fresh.

Battlechili

Banned
*move forward a tile*

"Heliolisk used Razor Wind!"

*turn off 3DS*
I had a mission to go to the 9th floor to help a Lillipup find a secret door and when I got to the 9th floor I ran into this very situation and it ruined everything. Wound up using up all of my reviver seeds and Lillipup fainted with no way to bring him back. Screwed me over.

Beginning of Chapter 23 (22?) spoilers
REALLY loving Espurr's character. Espurr was my favorite character at the begginign of the game and I'm very happy the role he played now. Loving the twists of the story.

Bog

Junior Ace
I own the DS ones already and never opened them. Is there a better one to start with, or should I just skip them for this?

Berordn

Beginning of Chapter 23 (22?) spoilers
REALLY loving Espurr's character. Espurr was my favorite character at the begginign of the game and I'm very happy the role he played now. Loving the twists of the story.

Espurr is secretly the best character in the game, despite her relatively minor role.

I own the DS ones already and never opened them. Is there a better one to start with, or should I just skip them for this?
I don't think it's really a better game overall, but its hard to go back to Explorers after Super, largely due to then cutting the IQ stat and making most of the perks baseline.

TrickRoom

I would use them on Heliolisks in a heartbeat, but they're almost always on the opposite side of a long room.

Wands have no distance limit. The hardest part is going to be aligning with them. Wand Expert emera can help there, if you find it.

It really sucks when you spawn on a floor with one at a weird angle from you on the other side, but for the times when you walk in a room and see the message that Heliolisk is charging, you should just back out and shove the rest of your party into the hall you came from so that it gives chase and closes the distance for you.

I was very surprised to see this and other critic reviews give the game at least positive reception. It puts a smile on my face.

Running really low on Oran Berries. Best way to get more?
Likely late on telling, and you may not be interested in this sort of way, but there are Wonder Mail codes to receive items.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/160809-pokemon-super-mystery-dungeon/cheats

This one gives you 20 Oran Berries.
N40P90CF

TrickRoom

Never played any of these dungeon games but I love Pokemon overall, should I buy this ?

As a Pokemon fan, this game should be quite enjoyable on scenario alone. You're playing as the Pokemon in this game, and the devs did justice to giving the major characters personality (although when you widen the scope to all 720, there's a lot that devolve into one-liner NPCs). If you're also in the party that felt like this generation's mainline games were too easy, then Super Mystery Dungeon will be a welcome change. Just be prepared to think very differently when tackling the challenges presented to you.

Evilkazz

Banned
I'm really really hating this final boss.

Well not even because of the fight(much), but everytime I loose I have to sit through a long cutscene every time.

I only have 3 reviver seeds at the start of the fight and usually his first phase takes off 1 maybe 2. And I only have 2 oran berries left at the point where I saved. Like 3 floors away from the boss. And what's worse is that I'm still capable of bringing it down to it's final phase (and final part of that phase where it's broken open. But he always ends up killing us both before then. Was this playtested? At least autosave me right before the damn fight.

Edit: Wow, how was I supposed to know that
when you click "give up" it sends you back to a place where you can get to your box and you return to fight the boss in his second phase with the cutscene skipped. I just kept clicking return from save point so that I dont loose all my items. Not sure how I feel about this design choice.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Tried one of those Meowth dungeons, things were running smoothly till I came across a sleeping Eelektrik---who one-shotted everyone when I woke it up.

Should have guessed that.

I' m about 18 hours into this and lol, pokemon from the mist continent keeps rekking my face! Quick question though, is there a point I can grind other missions before moving along the story at my own pace? Cause at this point, getting one shot ain't fun lmao. (also I need tiny reviver seeds ;.;

Top Bottom