• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alright GAF, time to give me a push: Horizon Zero Dawn or Nier Automata?

Cornbread78

I can only get one of them to play prior to Persona 5 dropping in April because I already have a huge back-log of games I want to play, however, I'm at an impasse. Both games look great with the standard classification of; Horizon is more of a "Western" open world game and Nier more of a "Japanese" ARPG game.

Nier Automata:
Q4cpOuE.gif

Horizon Zero Dawn:
rLmugeX.gif

I love JRPGS (action/turn-based)Final Fantasy/Tales of */Star Ocean and I really like games like Uncharted/CoD/Killzone and even Tomb Raider...

What are the +/-'s for these games?

I'm at an impasse GAF, help me choose!

EDIT:
I played the original Nier (Endings A/B, but never got around to playing through C/D)

EDIT #2:
I get it Nintendo fanboys, you guys LOVE Zelda, however, I'm not buying a Switch when I don't have time to play the games I already have. (damn PSN sales) This is the whole reason I need to choose between these two games. The other money I set aside is being out on a pre-order for Ni No Kuni 2, Ys 8 and/or DQXI. These come out much later in the year, so I can play through Persona 5, FFXIV, Witcher 3 Complete Edition and Ys; Origin through the summer, well, until that lovely game called FFXII comes out on 7/11...

I'll be getting Zelda first, but Nier is definitely next on my list. That demo is really really fun and PG is probably my favorite 3rd party dev out there.
Haven't played the first Nier, but when given time/budget PG rarely lets down and the demo seems like one of the better PG games.

Maxinas

I love JRPGS (action/turn-based)Final Fantasy/Tales of */Star Ocean and I really liked games like Uncharted/CoD/Killzone and even Tomb Raider...

What are the +/-'s for these games?

I'm at an impasse GAF, help me choose!

love > liked.

You just answered your own question.

Hektor

Nier is a sequel to a cult hit, made by the best action dev in the industry, featuring an amazing soundtrack and is written and designed by a mad genius

It also got a demo you can try right now.

Personally I'm not Platinum's biggest fan, and my last three games were The Last Guardian, Gravity Rush 2, and Nioh. Time to play some western games again.

Wagram

Both, but i'll say Nier since it's going to be awesome and needs every sale (i'm biased I love Drakengard/Nier). Horizon will sell like crazy regardless.

Strakt

The demo to Nier was kinda meh

But if you go off reviews, horizon will most likely have the higher score. If you want a beautiful open world with an amazing soundtrack and good story , horizon for sure.

LotusHD

Banned
Gotta go with Nier. Can't help but prefer the game that's far less likely to "play it safe" in terms of storytelling, which includes multiple endings and genre-shifts. Plus the combat and music is just heavenly...

EDIT: Also high-key, Platinum needs the cash after the whole Scalebound thing.

naitosan

I'd get both but there's Nier demo that you can try. If it's something you really enjoy then Nier. Otherwise, Horizon.

Nier is a sequel to a cult hit, made by the best action dev in the industry, featuring an amazing soundtrack and is written and designed by a mad genius

It also got a demo you can try right now.

This might be true, but let's not act like Platinum hasn't released a bad game. Anyway, I feel like Horizon will get multiple updates like most open world games do like Witcher 3, and Elder Scrolls, so if you play it down the road it will be superior to what you will experience at release. I don't see Nier getting many post-release updates, so might as well get it first.

NieR is releasing soon in Japan. Maybe just wait a little bit for the impressions??

If I have to decide now, it would be NieR. Just because I don't think many people will buy it.

I feel like Horizon is less likely to get a price drop first, so I am choosing that over my other current holdouts, Gravity Rush 2 and Resident Evil VII. But I'm grabbing NieR as soon as I'm done with Horizon whether or not it has any discounts by then.

Nier Automata.

Games like it only come once in a blue moon.

EDIT
Horizon will be the better game.

Also, Platinum has a spotty track record so I would wait for reviews.

Nier Automata is not one of Platinum's low tier licensed games like Korra, TMNT, Transformers - you can tell by the demo. Its on the same level as Metal Gear Rising.

Shredderi

Hard to say. The combat looks hype-tier in Nier, but the open world looks boring and the visuals a bit washed out especially outside. Really depends on what you really grave for right now. Both will feature different kinds of atmospheres no doubt with Horizon having a more cinematic feel to it. The combat really speaks to me in Nier but everything else I've seen looks boring, unfortunately. Seeing it played in the open world made me hope it was structured more like Bayonetta or something, but I realize that it's supposed to be an rpg as well with hub areas and the like.

Top Bottom