• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedca

Another Best Buy success story. Showed up about five minutes before opening, there was a line but it wasn't crazy. Looked like they had 20+ consoles and sold 12 to the people in line but I'm sure the others will be gone by the end of the day.

JonnyB

Banned
I'm actually very surprised that the Switch still has stock issues. I figured that this Summer's lower release count would slow things down until Fall... apparently not.

Zedark

I'm actually very surprised that the Switch still has stock issues. I figured that this Summer's lower release count would slow things down until Fall... apparently not.
The worrying thing is that it probably did, but demand is still larger than supply (to be fair, though, Nintendo would expect lower demand in summer and plan to produce less than in fall months, so the two might cancel towards a similar degree of sell-out).

JLG-

Just looking for a quick answer here: If you live in California, should you worry about the Switch stock situation or should you be able to find a Switch with relative ease? I haven't checked in any electronics stores yet, just wondering if this is something I need to get on soon if I want to have one before Odyssey comes out.

I live in the LA area and i found a switch after doing some research. They sell out fast here so you need to be in the store early if they happen to have them in stock. Use iStockNow.com and as soon as u see its instock call them asap. I managed to snag one from target earlier this week after missing out at many other stores. Also if u go to the store and dont see it on the shelf make sure you as an employee. When i went they had them in the back.

sinkfla87

Now that I have the switch the next hunt begins... The carrying case haha. I can't find the official case anywhere :(. I mean there's an official Mario style case but I don't particularly like the looks of it :(.

Showed up at my best buy 15 minutes before and there's about 15 ppl in line. Hope I can still grab a neon
Despite being a Nintendo fanboy, I was a total naysayer before launch. I thought that this was gonna fail for sure. How wrong I was. Well done, Nintendo. Take a bow.

Never count Nintendo out.

AcridMeat

Banned
Got to Best Buy a little after 10, and was 4th in line. By the time it opened at 11 there were about 15-20 people in line. They only had about 15 in stock so I'm happy.

Got along well with the people who were there early so it was a fun morning.

edit: For reference I'm in the Bay Area. You absolutely need to be researching/calling/early to get one in my experience.

Ashhong

Got my neon! Dude forgot my best buy game case but whatever, I'd probably never use it.

Now the question is, do I get Zelda physical or digital? I figure that's a game I would always want to play and might be good to have available. But the damn thing takes up half of the storage! Hmm

goldenpp72

Got my neon! Dude forgot my best buy game case but whatever, I'd probably never use it.

Now the question is, do I get Zelda physical or digital? I figure that's a game I would always want to play and might be good to have available. But the damn thing takes up half of the storage! Hmm

Get physical, you won't ever take it out until you win anyways.

Roufianos

Store today had a few in stock. Was actually gonna get one with Zelda and Mario Kart until I saw the price of a pro controller. £60? Fucking hell.

AcridMeat

Banned
I bought mine digital. I'm going to spend the $30-40 or whatever it is to get a 128gb anyway.

I did drop $90 on Amazon because I saw the pro controller had 2 in stock prime shipping for $64, and got a case for $20.

Fuck that's a lot of money to just play Zelda right now. Oh well, planning on Splatoon 2, Rabbids, Mario, and probably Mario Kart 8. Gonna dig into Zelda now :)

pbsapeer

Banned
I'm really happy for y'all getting into the party. RIP GAF when you lot start opening "I want X to be on Switch" threads.
I want X
VII
on switch!
XIIIboxcover.jpg

antonz

Was it ever clarified that the July and August restocks that Nintendo talked about were worldwide and not just Japan?

I don't think it was ever meant to be anything more then Nintendo saying they expect shipments will begin getting larger by July or August. Which is possible if their production lines are finally picking up the pace.

700,000+ units intended originally for April and beyond were airlifted in to make it for launch. So a lot of supply chain was diverted so it may just finally be getting back to normal.

ramuh

Went on and bought one. One of those bundles from Gamestop. Should be here in a few weeks. Haven't owned a Nintendo console since 2007. Daughter is getting a little older, great way to introduce her to games.

Sounds like the stock situation is starting to improve in both the US and Japan. I'm glad people are starting to finally get theirs.

I wonder if this is the Splatoon 2 surge or if there will be a bigger surge for it in a few weeks.

Theswweet

Sounds like the stock situation is starting to improve in both the US and Japan. I'm glad people are starting to finally get theirs.

I wonder if this is the Splatoon 2 surge or if there will be a bigger surge for it in a few weeks.

I'd like to think this is a little early for the "Splatoon 2 surge".

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
For anyone in the Bay Area the Pleasant Hill Best Buy has a handful of neon units on the entry table. Had to do a double take since I've never seen one in a store.

I'd like to think this is a little early for the "Splatoon 2 surge".

It might make more sense to get more consoles into people's hands before it launches so that the pent up demand is a bit more satisfied before Splatoon 2 comes out. In which case they don't necessarily have to increase shipments much more when Splatoon 2 comes out, rather they can just keep up the current shipment levels. Which is what I meant by surge.

It might make more sense to get more consoles into people's hands before it launches so that the pent up demand is a bit more satisfied before Splatoon 2 comes out. In which case they don't necessarily have to increase shipments much more when Splatoon 2 comes out, rather they can just keep up the current shipment levels. Which is what I meant by surge.

This is how I see it but my knowledge of logistics is little to none.

I am glad to see more people getting the switch. Absolutely fantastic console.

I don't think there is going to be a Splatoon surge in America, they didn't even announce a Splatoon 2 bundle. Too big of an area to cover as it is.

YoshiMax

Managed to bag the only new Switch I've found since launch today from Game in Inverness, Scotland. That it took a trip to the Highlands to finally come across one speaks volumes. Neon model. Impressed so far.

AcridMeat

Banned
Nintendo did issue a statement last week stating they're sending larger shipments in July and August so you'll have better chances in the next couple months for sure. Hopefully a nice group for Splatoon 2 :D

Hopefully you guys find your Switches before September. In September and October Nintendo will be stockpiling for the Holiday shopping season so shipments will be very limited in Sept/Oct

JohnsonUT

I can't speak for every Best Buy, but if the experience at my store is any indication: Best Buy will have a LOT of Switches tomorrow. I think we got about 12 for MK8 launch (last time I remember them advertising stock), but we have about 20 set aside for tomorrow, and in a strange turn of events, they're majority Neon. We have more Neons than Greys 2:1 for tomorrow. Before they close, it might be worth calling your local Best Buy if you're still looking for one.

EDIT: just checked our internal system... appears to be the case all around us. A huge restock is hitting tomorrow, with Neons:Greys 2 or 3:1 depending on location.

Went to Best Buy right at opening today based solely on this post. Thanks for the heads up. From what I could see there was one grey and about seven neons. We were fourth and there was nobody after us.

Went to Best Buy to pick up Zelda and the place had been cleaned out by noon. They had a bunch of copies of Zelda yesterday when I checked on the site so I'm guessing they went 1:1 with new system buyers. Had to go to 2 different Targets to track down a copy.

gkeller16

Neo Member
Got to best buy about 9:30 this morning and there were 2 in line. Only ended up being 5 ppl total by opening and they had 10 neons and 5 grey.For the most part the people were fine,guy in front of me had a small argument with a redneck who was talking all kinds of nonsense the whole time,made it uncomfortable for the last hour .

watershed

Banned
Went to Best Buy to pick up Zelda and the place had been cleaned out by noon. They had a bunch of copies of Zelda yesterday when I checked on the site so I'm guessing they went 1:1 with new system buyers. Had to go to 2 different Targets to track down a copy.

Damn. Where do you live that even copies of Zelda are hard to find? I've always seen Zelda in stores even in places with no Switch units.

KNT-Zero

Did anyone in the UK notice how the Switch's price changes every day at CEX? Swifting between 290, 300, 310, etc in a matter of hours. Ridiculous.

massoluk

Banned

I have a hard time believing the game itself is out of stock. >100% attachment rate continues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom