• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

What if Mercy's Ult places a Auto Rez buff on a friendly? Or not even a Rez, just a full heal that triggers when the character would have died.

So if I'm Rein, and my Mercy has Ult'd me, and I get fucked up mid fight, instead of dying, I pop right back up to full HP and Mercy's Ult has been consumed.

That would make for some interesting skirmishes. You'd have Ana's grenade cancel out the Ult. You could always focus fire a target still to fuck them up. Environmental kills would be more effective.

I don't think this would be ideal, if someone dies when mercy has her healing leash on them it's because they were in a bad position. Reviving them in a bad position = instant death.

That literally has nothing to do with skill. Mercy players bust their ass by holding left click in the general direction of their team mates with no concept of CD management or mechanical skills. A player like that should not be allowed near the top 50% of players, let alone the top 0.5%.

Mercy players bust their ass by positions themselves in a way that they can benefit their team, without worry of being punished by the opposing team.

Playing a Mercy, by default, puts a giant fucking target on your head. A skilled Mercy knows when to push up with her group, when to fall back, and when to pull out her pistol. She also knows when it's best to heal and when to dmg boost.

I'm not saying Mercy has a particularly high skill ceiling, but they certainly aren't Baby's First FPS character the way you seem to be implying.

Skii

Mercy players bust their ass by positions themselves in a way that they can benefit their team, without worry of being punished by the opposing team.

Playing a Mercy, by default, puts a giant fucking target on your head. A skilled Mercy knows when to push up with her group, when to fall back, and when to pull out her pistol. She also knows when it's best to heal and when to dmg boost.

I'm not saying Mercy has a particularly high skill ceiling, but they certainly aren't Baby's First FPS character the way you seem to be implying.

Positioning themselves? Like every other character in the game? Lmao.

Playing Zen puts a massive target on your head as well and you can't bail yourself out with guardian angel. You have to actually outskill the Tracer that can one clip you.

Mercy is the introductory healer for people that haven't played FPS. Soldier is the same for DPS. Difference is Soldier actually relies on mechanical skill so those in the higher ranks are actually good at the game and can transfer those skills to other heroes. Mercy's most transferable skill is her pistol shoots similar to baby DVa...

I don't understand why people are so defensive about Mercy having more depth and skill to her character.

Playing Zen puts a massive target on your head as well and you can't bail yourself out with guardian angel. You have to actually outskill the Tracer that can one clip you.

Mercy is the introductory healer for people that haven't played FPS. Soldier is the same for DPS. Difference is Soldier actually relies on mechanical skill so those in the higher ranks are actually good at the game and can transfer those skills to other heroes. Mercy's most transferable skill is her pistol shoots similar to baby DVa...

I don't understand why people are so defensive about Mercy having more depth and skill to her character.

Again, Mercy is highly sought after by the enemy team more than any other character. Obviously every character has to worry about positioning, but don't pretend that for Mercy it is much more important than for most others.

Plenty of characters can do their jobs from a distance. Hanzo, Pharah, Widow, Bastion, Torb's Turret, Symmetra's Turrets, Junkrat, McCree, and so on. These character can get into a position or vantage point, and basically hang out. A good ( and I stress good here) Mercy player is constantly jumping from teammate to teammate determing who is contributing the most damage that might need a boost, or who needs healing.

And I'm sorry but comparing her to Zen is just not the right call. For instance, as a Tracer, if I approach a Mercy, my concern is Mercy leaping to a teammate before I get the kill. If I approach a Zen, my concern is him turning to me and popping me in the head and killing me. Zen has the tools to defend himself at the ready. Mercy does not.

Jellie

Mercy is hard. Bet you are just a genji main who cries when she revives everyone you killed with blade. Look at it without your DPS goggles on.
Mercy takes work mentally than a genji.

komaruR

Remove mercy passive invulnerable during rez and make it active E ability that makes her invul for 1 or 2s, with decent cd that cant be use/ abuse often.
Revert the regen back to needing be out of combat longer.
so if mercy want to be rez without getting kill. Press e first before GA to rez.
I just want it where players decision plays more of a role instead of ezpz press q to win type of hero.

exYle

Reddit is faster than me so here is a list of everything talked about in the Seagull - Scott Mercer interview.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/6vcekr/scott_mercer_seagull_q_and_a_summary/

Also for anyone wondering it definitely seems the reason Seagull has been gone for a few weeks definitely has to do with Overwatch League.

You literally just had to wait a couple more seconds just wait until the game tells you you can leave. You have no one to blame but yourself lol

I like those spectator changes. I hope they're adding team jerseys so they can have outlines that match skins, like purple vs. green.

I also think for OWL and the WC they need 13+ cameraman, one watching each player and at least one free cam so they can switch to each perspective when something cool is happening.

Skii

Again, Mercy is highly sought after by the enemy team more than any other character. Obviously every character has to worry about positioning, but don't pretend that for Mercy it is much more important than for most others.

Plenty of characters can do their jobs from a distance. Hanzo, Pharah, Widow, Bastion, Torb's Turret, Symmetra's Turrets, Junkrat, McCree, and so on. These character can get into a position or vantage point, and basically hang out. A good ( and I stress good here) Mercy player is constantly jumping from teammate to teammate determing who is contributing the most damage that might need a boost, or who needs healing.

And I'm sorry but comparing her to Zen is just not the right call. For instance, as a Tracer, if I approach a Mercy, my concern is Mercy leaping to a teammate before I get the kill. If I approach a Zen, my concern is him turning to me and popping me in the head and killing me. Zen has the tools to defend himself at the ready. Mercy does not.

She's highly sought after, that's why it's encouraged for them to go afk near spawn until the whole team dies for their 5 man res. Sometimes whilst going afk, a dps might stumble across her, kill her to the ire of her team mates. Can't you see it's terrible game design on both sides? This happens at the highest levels in ranked. Aren't Mercy players supposed to be good at the game up there?

I don't like this Mercy elitism. Every character requires good positioning to play at a high level.

Mercy is hard. Bet you are just a genji main who cries when she revives everyone you killed with blade. Look at it without your DPS goggles on.
Mercy takes work mentally than a genji.

Back down Jellie, back down.

Jellie

She's highly sought after, that's why it's encouraged for them to go afk near spawn until the whole team dies for their 5 man res. Sometimes whilst going afk, a dps might stumble across her, kill her to the ire of her team mates. Can't you see it's terrible game design on both sides? This happens at the highest levels in ranked. Aren't Mercy players supposed to be good at the game up there?

I don't like this Mercy elitism. Every character requires good positioning to play at a high level.

Back down Jellie, back down.

Had a mercy today say "I'm gonna go hide to rez"
10 seconds later hear genji ult and mercy is dead
GJ Mercy

MCD

KUu01J7.jpg

From /r/xbone

Good news. Name dropping OW out of all games. Salt.

The Bolded is a perfect example of a mediocre Mercy, and not a skilled Mercy.

I'm not even a Mercy player but I recognize the difference, and again, I'm not saying Mercy has a particularly high skill ceiling, but she certainly has some complexities to her.

From /r/xbone

Good news. Name dropping OW out of all games. Salt.

Since the text is really awkward to read I decided to type it out for anyone interested in reading it.

Mike Ybarra said:
Thanks for all of the replies and the input on this.

I'm Mike Ybarra, and I'm part of the Xbox team. I was linked this thread off Twitter (@XboxQwik). First, let me thank you for the replies and the input in this area. It's really great to see the feedback, understand the issues, and think about how we evolve to satisfy gamer needs.

Later this month we're going to make a change to help here. Based on feedback from a number of people across a few competitive games, such as Overwatch, we're going to change how reports of players impact the ability for people to play multiplayer in games. In short, we'll change it so that it will have no impact on a player's ability to join and play multiplayer. It could still impact a reported players (this takes many reports over time, not just a few) ability to communicate with non-friends in multiplayer games, but it won't prevent them from playing.

We'll outline more details on this as we go forward. Please keep the feedback coming. It's our goal to ensure Xbox is a great, friendly, and safe place to play.

Mike
@XboxQwik

It's correct that the skills you need to master Mercy are no different than those of other heroes. All you need is good positioning and game sense, with nothing related to mechanics. Those skills are amplified with her compared to other heroes, but often that just pushes Mercy players into hiding in spawn or behind walls to get that big ultimate. Furthermore, I don't think there is a lot that sperates a good Mercy player from an average Mercy player, and it's the main reason you saw so many GM Mercy one tricks that we're way lower in past seasons. I don't think any of that is good game design at all.

I say this as someone who has a 75% win rate this season with Mercy and don't even play her on a regular basis.

oh and genji/tracer are better in 9/10 situations than doomfist but people still complain about doomfist

It's actually pretty arguable over whether Genji or Doomfist is the better pick right now, looking at GM+ and pro stats.

They gonna just reduce Rez distance and call it a day. No more easy big rezzes unless everyone died on one spot from a grav or something.

Is a 4 man Rez trophy so cannot replace it.

LiK

They gonna just reduce Rez distance and call it a day. No more easy big rezzes unless everyone died on one spot from a grav or something.

Increase Ult charge and reduce the range and they won't be able to make big rezzes on points so easily and often.

There is a Trophy for destroying 4 Teleporters in the game that's virtually impossible to get nowadays, so I think trophies are the last thing blizzard considers when designing characters.

Pooya

What if they turn her rez into a necromancer like effect, players come back to life for a short time and then they die and go to spawn room.

blanchot

those resurrected via mercy's ultimate resume playing with 50% health instead of full health. that way, mercy still has to heal everyone instead of just hiding again. probably a terrible idea. definitely.

those resurrected via mercy's ultimate resume playing with 50% health instead of full health. that way, mercy still has to heal everyone instead of just hiding again. probably a terrible idea. definitely.
Mercy really shouldn't be hiding again after Rez though. You team usually just dies again if they don't get healed

TrueBlue

I've never been particularly good at stealthing with Mercy. Just ain't my style, I prefer being in the action.

Maybe a rework will actually benefit me in the long run.

LordofPwn

Finishing the season with a 78.57% win rate, which was good enough to get me to 2508... my career high was around 2800, last season i got fucked in my placements (cat unplugged my power strip, was able to come back and won but it also gave me a loss, was in a 3 stack where i had highest SR the season before but placed below both of my teamates) couldn't solo queue out of gold. it sucked.

this season I finally reached back up to platinum but barely...

it's a team game, only thing that should matter is winning. Platinum in 3 of the 4 seasons, season 1 i was 52 i think. just frustrating

This will most likely be the first season where I end up with a negative winrate :\

I'm at 15 games negative right now. Soloq was really terrible this season even though I didn't play that way too much.

Finishing the season with a 78.57% win rate, which was good enough to get me to 2508... my career high was around 2800, last season i got fucked in my placements (cat unplugged my power strip, was able to come back and won but it also gave me a loss, was in a 3 stack where i had highest SR the season before but placed below both of my teamates) couldn't solo queue out of gold. it sucked.

this season I finally reached back up to platinum but barely...

it's a team game, only thing that should matter is winning. Platinum in 3 of the 4 seasons, season 1 i was 52 i think. just frustrating

This will most likely be the first season where I end up with a negative winrate :

I'm at 15 games negative right now. Soloq was really terrible this season even though I didn't play that way too much.

I solo Q 99% of the time every season since season 2 when I got the game.

The end of last season, around the uprising event, and this one have been absolute dumpster fires.

LiK

This will most likely be the first season where I end up with a negative winrate :

Sometimes our stacks just don't work out. Hard to control.

finalflame

Gold Member
I hope changes are made to the next competitive season, enough to unfuck solo queue.

IMO you should never stack past trio unless you know that you have a team full of people with complementary roles, good communication, and great chemistry. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up to lose against other, better organized stacks.

I hope changes are made to the next competitive season, enough to unfuck solo queue.

IMO you should never stack past trio unless you know that you have a team full of people with complementary roles, good communication, and great chemistry. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up to lose against other, better organized stacks.

I hope for a solo only Q at least.

The stack games are mostly even I would say. No really big losing/winning streaks.

And the games are fun for the most part. Yesterday even when we lost that Oasis game it was still a ton of fun, that second round with both teams at 99 fighting on the point for 2 minutes or so lol

This is true, usually the games are bad when we try to had a lots of new people at the same time. Playing as a group is very different from soloq, lonely rambos are a no no, sometimes it takes time to adjust.

We do have a 4-5 stack that plays together for a good time now and it usually works well.

Owzers

I can try to carry our group tonight if we play by maining Doomfist. I was 1-0 last night when doomfisting.

LiK

Sometimes we invite Gaffers who join or wanna play with us. Yea, when they're not regulars, it can be a disaster.

The stack games are mostly even I would say. No really big losing/winning streaks.

And the games are fun for the most part. Yesterday even when we lost that Oasis game it was still a ton of fun, that second round with both teams at 99 fighting on the point for 2 minutes or so lol

Oasis match was puzzling. I beat my objective time record there. My Dva barely died. Lol

finalflame

Gold Member
Sometimes we invite Gaffers who join or wanna play with us. Yea, when they're not regulars, it can be a disaster.

Makes sense. I used to quad+ stack with people from work at my last company, and boy did that sour me. Now if people want to stack past 3 and it 's not people I absolutely trust, I'll just suggest QP or go back to solo.

_Legacy_

In the middle of a great match on Numbani, got a triple kill with my 76 ult and we're rolling the other side over. Xbox insider program needs to update and won't let me back online until I do, so i get disconnected from the match. So annoying! I only signed up to this for the DBZ Fighter beta next month. I hope this doesn't happen too often.

EDIT: on my alt account so not too pissed but still sucks

Top Bottom