• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Horse Armour
(08-23-2012, 09:09 PM)
Even with the unlocked resolution, the game still looks terrible.

Edit: Are you sure it's even working in that screen you posted. Looks terrible, like an upscaled original res shot.
Durante
Come on down to Durante's drivethru PC port fixes. 15 minutes or less. Yelp: ★★★★★

Fixed Souls, Deadly Premonition, Lightning Returns, Umihara Kawase, Symphonia, Little King's Story, PhD, likes mimosas.

Originally Posted by darkpaladinmfc

Any word on the feasibility of unlocking the frame-rate?

From my preliminary look at it it seems very hard to do correctly. At least harder than fixing the resolution!

I wouldn't expect a fully working fix soon.
54-46!
Nice work, is it possible to up the FPS cap as well or is that a whole different ball game?
chiablo

Originally Posted by Tomat

Someone needs to explain to me what the issue was with playing at the game's original resolution (serious question, no sass intended).

Load a game, let's say Team Fortress 2, and change your resolution to 720x960 instead of 1080x1920. Play that game... that's essentially what happens.
Dachande
Holy shit, good work.
Alextended
Banned
(08-23-2012, 09:10 PM)

Someone needs to explain to me what the issue was with playing at the game's original resolution (serious question, no sass intended).

Play a previously 1080p 3D game on your PS3 or 360 with cables that don't actually allow it to display HD content. Sit just a few feet away from your HDTV. Alternatively play a Wii game on it. The blurry jagged aliased look is what happens when you merely upscale 3D content rather than render it natively in higher resolution and is the only thing Dark Souls officially supports for now.

Edit: perhaps wrongly assuming you're a console gamer, if not do what chiablo says.
Last edited by Alextended; 08-23-2012 at 09:13 PM.
HoosTrax

I'll have to look at some comparison shots then. That screenshot looks like an upscale to me as well.

Props to durante though.

Due to shitty low resolution textures I assume.
Santiako
You defeated.
MedIC86
So good! give this man a tag !
Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew
Banned
(08-23-2012, 09:11 PM)
$20 says this exact fix will be taken and offered as a "patch". Lazy devs are so lazy that one man does a better job fixing it in his spare time.
dmr87
I'll try to chip in some money for your work when I get home. Good job!
Tomat
Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

Originally Posted by Alextended

Play a previoously, 1080p 3D game on your PS3 or 360 or whatever with cables that don't actually allow them to display HD content. That blurry jagged aliased look is what happens when you merely upscale 3D content rather than render it natively in higher resolution.

I'm going to try this (with Dark Souls no less). Thanks.
Piercedveil
Great job, Durante. It looks so much better now.

Maybe it would be a good idea to put a comparison pic in the OP, in case some people have no idea what is going on?
Durante
Come on down to Durante's drivethru PC port fixes. 15 minutes or less. Yelp: ★★★★★

Fixed Souls, Deadly Premonition, Lightning Returns, Umihara Kawase, Symphonia, Little King's Story, PhD, likes mimosas.
As for the sharpness of the screenshots:
It was rendering at 2048x1440 which was then scaled to 1920x1080 by the game, giving some small amount of AA but also some loss of sharpness.

However, it is also true that the game seems to do something which makes it less sharp than it should be. However the amount of visible detail and the aliasing is still much improved with higher internal resolution.
Lombax
(08-23-2012, 09:12 PM)
Thank you again Durante.
TheExodu5

Originally Posted by Metalmurphy

Why does the game still have that upscale blur btw? Pic still looks kinda rough.

Probably a combination of post process AA, and low resolution HUD elements.
Giran

Originally Posted by Horse Armour

Even with the unlocked resolution, the game still looks terrible.

I think the game has some sort of post-process blur filter going on. That's why it looks a bit muddy. It's still leagues better than the official screenshots Namco kept releasing.
Vossler
Awesomesauce, I'm thinking I'm picking it up now.
Rumble19
(08-23-2012, 09:13 PM)
Thank you! Can't wait till this unlocks. Hopefully there is no adverse effect on the multiplayer.
Tain

Spiritual reasons. Principles, expectations, that sort of thing. There's nothing actually wrong with playing Dark Souls at 1024x720 (as evidenced by all the players that loved the console versions), but everyone was hoping for more.
Last edited by Tain; 08-23-2012 at 09:43 PM.
zerokoolpsx
Very cool Durante. Will probably pick this up now.
Grief.exe
Don't stop believin'~~~ hold on to the feeling

Unlocked resolution means that we can do things like downsampling as well.

Which means you natively render the game at a higher resolution then your screen is capable of, then downsample it to fit within your screen.

Gives games an extra level of sharpness and anti aliasing effects.
Metalmurphy
Banned

Originally Posted by HoosTrax

Due to shitty low resolution textures I assume.

No, it's not the textures, it's the blurring on the edges. Has that subnative look. Are you sure this is working Durante?

Originally Posted by Tain

Spiritual reasons. Principals, expectations, that sort of thing. There's nothing actually wrong with playing Dark Souls at 1024x720, but everyone was hoping for more.

Keep telling yourself that.

Originally Posted by Durante

It was rendering at 2048x1440 which was then scaled to 1920x1080 by the game, giving some small amount of AA but also some loss of sharpness.

However, it is also true that the game seems to do something which makes it less sharp than it should be. However the amount of visible detail and the aliasing is still much improved with higher internal resolution.

That would explain it. Can you make it render at 1080p, same as output to see how it looks?
Hoo-doo
Durante increasing Dark Souls PC sales tenfold.
Alcoholikaust
(08-23-2012, 09:14 PM)
Bazinga.
FSLink
Now considering buying the PC port if this fix is as advertised. Thanks OP.
EternalGamer
Banned
I tossed $5 your way. Mainly to encourage and show appreciate for your work. :)
Valnen

There seems to be some sort of like...blur filter or something. Hopefully it can be further fixed :D.
aganu
Thank you, legend!
Dizzy-4U
The man needs a tag. Amazing dude!
Tain
(08-23-2012, 09:15 PM)

Keep telling yourself that.

Do you apply this to all excellent games? I mean, I'd love to play Virtua Fighter 5 FS at 1200p, but assuming you are interested in the game at all, there's nothing wrong with playing the only versions that actually exist.
Alextended
Banned

But I don't think Dark Souls is HD on consoles either so you won't see as much of a difference. Although there should still be some.
Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew
Banned
As posted in the other thread:

Originally Posted by S0N0S

Also, for anyone else that are just now committing or changing their minds thanks to Durante, you can get a Steam key for $32 at GMG with the code DERHE-RRDER-RINGE.

Gwanatu T
(08-23-2012, 09:16 PM)
YEEEEEHAAAWWWWWW!! Thank you Durante, you've made my day.
Durante

No, it's not the textures, it's the blurring on the edges. Has that subnative look. Are you sure this is working Durante?

I am sure it is working to some extent. Just look at it: there are far more than 1024 pixels of horizontal detail in my shots, and far far less aliasing. It's not working as well as it maybe should and I'll certainly investigate that in the future!

If you run it at 1080p internal there's less detail and more aliasing, but still some blur.
Cloudius12
I think it might be better to put up some comparison shots.
chiablo
(08-23-2012, 09:17 PM)
Is it at all possible to get a before and after comparison shot for the OT?
zkylon
zkylewd
I think I may call my character Durante in your honor...

(how about uploading a full 2560x1440 instead of downscaled?)
Metalmurphy
Banned

I am sure it is working to some extent. Just look at it: there are far more than 1024 pixels of horizontal detail in my shots, and far far less aliasing. It's not working as well as it maybe should and I'll certainly investigate that in the future!

I've read your post explaining afterwards. Try setting it to render natively at the same resolution of your screen without scaling, see if that helps.
dino1980
Try again for an answer. :)

Durante: Does it work together with a FXAA injector that also has d3d9.dll like your fix? If not does it work with a SMAA injector that has a dxgi.dll file?
Dog Problems
(08-23-2012, 09:18 PM)

Do you apply this to all excellent games? I mean, I'd love to play Virtua Fighter 5 FS at 1200p, but assuming you are interested in the game at all, there's nothing wrong with playing the only versions that actually exist.

PC gamers have come to expect more on the technical side of games. It's fine if things like low resolutions and terrible frame rate don't bother a person, though.
Durante

I'll put up comparison shots when I provide the download in a few hours, so people can see if they consider the improvement worthwhile.
Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew
Banned

Originally Posted by chiablo

Is it at all possible to get a before and after comparison shot for the OT?

Yes, is it. I would love to see one shot of 720p (stretched to 1080p) and one shot of 1080p.

I'll put up comparison shots when I provide the download in a few hours, so people can see if they consider the improvement worthwhile.

AWW YEAH!!
Uriah
(08-23-2012, 09:19 PM)
I'd like to see all those people defending From Software for the shitty port try now.
HoosTrax
- Spend no money on making proper port
- Wait for modders to fix it for free
- Profit
Metalmurphy
Banned

If there's an option to not play it at subHD resolutions then yes, there is something wrong. This isn't taking any merit about the actual game, resolution won't affect gameplay.
FtHTiny
Thank you durante.
Awesome job!
TheExodu5
My suggestion for comparison shots:

1024*720 upscaled to 1080p.
Native 1080p.
2560*1440 downscaled to 1080p.
Durante

Originally Posted by dino1980

Try again for an answer. :)

Durante: Does it work together with a FXAA injector that also has d3d9.dll like your fix? If not does it work with a SMAA injector that has a dxgi.dll file?

It will not work out of the box with another d3d9.dll based override, no.
Shao Kahn Brewing a Stew
Banned
(08-23-2012, 09:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Uriah

I'd like to see all those people defending From Software for the shitty port try now.

BUT BUT, THEY'RE NOT EXPERIENCED! It's hard to create this game locked at 30fps at 1080p for current PC as it's better than Crysis! You need a lot of manpower that From just doesn't have!!!11!!111!11