• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

oldsnakebro

Wow. This is my first post on gaf and I'm glad that can finally be a part of this thread. Thanks to Juanlatino for his hard work.
Anyway last gen was a great gen for japan studio. Tons of games, collaborations and new ips but this gen it seems they are doing limited projects and it's disappointing for me as a huge japan studio fan. If we assume next gen in 2019-2020 they have maybe one project left for this gen after knack 2. Hope they do some great 2d platformers. I think Microsoft is doing great in this genre with cuphead, ori and ... The last night seems great too. Sony needs something like these.

Lol, what ever happened to that guy. Didn't he say it would be launching considerably later in the year than Q1 as well?
Sorry for the late response.

He just up and vanished. He didn't get banned or anything. Yeah, he said it will be quite a bit later.

Wow. This is my first post on gaf and I'm glad that can finally be a part of this thread. Thanks to Juanlatino for his hard work.
Anyway last gen was a great gen for japan studio. Tons of games, collaborations and new ips but this gen it seems they are doing limited projects and it's disappointing for me as a huge japan studio fan. If we assume next gen in 2019-2020 they have maybe one project left for this gen after knack 2. Hope they do some great 2d platformers. I think Microsoft is doing great in this genre with cuphead, ori and ... The last night seems great too. Sony needs something like these.
Welcome!

Dadasch

AFAIK none of these games are developed in collaboration with any Microsoft Studios, so I don't really understand where you're coming from.

The Studio which is lacking in that matter is actually Sony Santa Monica. They had, seemingly, problems with TheChineseRoom during the development of "EGttR" and now they even dropped partnership with The Giant Sparrow, which is the reason why "What Remains of Edith Finch" wasn't exclusive anymore.

Japan Studio is fine, imo.

oldsnakebro

Thanks!

AFAIK none of these games are developed in collaboration with any Microsoft Studios, so I don't really understand where you're coming from.
Japan Studio is fine, imo.

No don't get me wrong maybe I wasn't clear enough I didn't say Microsoft developed them but they invested money in this genre. I think they own ori and helped funding cuphead AFAIK which I love them both. Sony last gen had great titles like puppeteer which I wanted them to continue on this route as a fan of this genre.
And about your comment on santa monica, they had a canceled AAA project and their external team left the studio AFAIK so their situation is understandable.

JlNX

No don't get me wrong maybe I wasn't clear enough I didn't say Microsoft developed them but they invested money in this genre. I think they own ori and helped funding cuphead AFAIK which I love them both.

Your right they own Ori and it is considered a first party project just like Halo, they do indeed also work with the MS studios team. I think the creative director at MS that works with Ori, at least brought it in under MS and got it funded was Adam Isgreen. He seems to go for the more obscure and less genre popular games which is why I'm usually excited for what he is working on.

Not like Sony Japan been sitting around.
They collaborated on bloodborne, made knack,tlg and gravity rush 2. Collaboration on everybody's golf, V what have I don't to deserve this my lord R and their own knack 2 this year as well.

Dadasch

Thanks!

No don't get me wrong maybe I wasn't clear enough I didn't say Microsoft developed them but they invested money in this genre. I think they own ori and helped funding cuphead AFAIK which I love them both. Sony last gen had great titles like puppeteer which I wanted them to continue on this route as a fan of this genre.
And about your comment on santa monica, they had a canceled AAA project and their external team left the studio AFAIK so their situation is understandable.

Just a minor misunderstanding. :)

Ok, I think you want games like Puppeteer, rain and Tokyo Jungle. Japan Studio has still time for that but it seems that their focus is more on titles with bigger Budgets, which ist understandable. They have a really huge staff and their output hasn‘t always been this continuous (as Blackleg-sanji pointed out).

RSchmitz

The only Japan Studio games out of those smaller budgets that I liked is Puppeteer.
I like Japan Studio a lot this gen, but I do wish knack was something else like Ape Escape.

FelipeMGM

Its not that Japan Studio changed, the whole development picture changed, and SIE's vision on first party software did as well. They have mostly moved away from those digital collabs, and seem to have shifted that kind of budget to VR games. Internally, they also seem to be trying to make bigger projects and more appealing products.

And if we really put on a scale, Japan Studio is prob the best internal team SIE has had this gen in terms of number of quality shipped titles, be internal or external.

Welcome!

Besides Ori, none of those are MS games; Cuphead and Last Night are straight-up indies, the latter I believe is a timed exclusive.

I thought Japan Studio was weaker last gen compared to the PS2 generation. They even had to bring a Santa Monica person to clean up the place because many projects were in limbo or not going anywhere; it was very disorganized.

Getting there, however, won't be that easy. Becker, who has been at the studio for two and half years, inherited something of a mess. "The thing I was shocked by was the number of titles in production," he said of when he first arrived. "That completely blew my mind." At that time, there were 40-something titles in production, and the environment was, what Becker called, "a free-for-all."

oldsnakebro

Its not that Japan Studio changed, the whole development picture changed, and SIE's vision on first party software did as well. They have mostly moved away from those digital collabs, and seem to have shifted that kind of budget to VR games. Internally, they also seem to be trying to make bigger projects and more appealing products.

And if we really put on a balance, Japan Studio is prob the best internal team SIE has had this gen in terms of number of quality shipped titles, be internal or external.

You're right. I think Sony changed their direction from smaller collaborations which is sad.
Let me be clear I don't say they are doing bad I say last gen they used to do more risky and different projects.
This list is for this gen:
games developed internally until now:
Knack, playroom and gravity rush 2 (only 3 games with metacritic: 54, 77, 80)
externally developed until now:
bloodborne, tomorrow children which was a mess, the last guardian with some VR
It is not comparable to last gen at all, is it?
Welcome!

Besides Ori, none of those are MS games; Cuphead and Last Night are straight-up indies, the latter I believe is a timed exclusive.
Thanks!
I didn't say they are MS properties I said Microsoft is funding them and investing money on these kinds of games that Sony used to invest in last gen.
Your right they own Ori and it is considered a first party project just like Halo, they do indeed also work with the MS studios team. I think the creative director at MS that works with Ori, at least brought it in under MS and got it funded was Adam Isgreen. He seems to go for the more obscure and less genre popular games which is why I'm usually excited for what he is working on.
Thanks for the info :)

Elfstruck

Sony Japan output last gen was also meh. Puppeteer, patapon, Rain, and Siren were the few notable games that were developed internally. Both puppeteer and rain were also released toward the end of PS3 life so it will probably be the same for PS4.

FelipeMGM

You're right. I think Sony changed their direction from smaller collaborations which is sad.
Let me be clear I don't say they are doing bad I say last gen they used to do more risky and different projects.

Sure, you can argue that, (though many will say that the trio Bloodborne, The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2 beats all they did last gen) but my point is that due to how game development got costier and longer, you can also argue that none of Sony studios has managed to deliver the same kind of output they did last generation, at least yet.

Japan Studio at least (much due to their size and type of operations) has managed to ship 7-8 games, and will ship 3 more this year. Of course, their nature and quality are dabatable, but still pretty impressive I think.

And I agree its sad SIE moved away from these quirky projects, but at least we are in a moment where they are not needed much anymore for such risky and innovative projects to appear on the console space.

Dadasch

God of War would be my pick. It can be everything TLOU is but with the over top set pieces you can only expect from the GOW series.
Is GoW really that big? I never noticed that it is overly popular in any way...well, I can only speak for our german market.

TLoU Part II seems like the safe bet for me. I think 10-13m sale throughs are very much possible, considering "even" Uncharted 4 reached nearly similar numbers with PS4 Bundles..

The God

Why are yall discussing sales? I was talking about quality

yeah TLoU 2 will sell the most but GoW and Spider-Man will probably be better games

JlNX

Is GoW really that big? I never noticed that it is overly popular in any way...well, I can only speak for our german market.

TLoU Part II seems like the safe bet for me. I think 10-13m sale throughs are very much possible, considering "even" Uncharted 4 reached nearly similar numbers with PS4 Bundles..

I think a comment was made by a Sony exec that God of War underperformed in Europe due to it's hack and slash nature, and with the new God of War being more narrative focused it would do better. I think God of War 3 was around or just under 6 millions sales, so comparable in size to the other GOW but not as popular as current generation Uncharted. The new God of War could potentially reach the same sales numbers as Uncharted, as during the ps3 era Uncharted was a similar size to God of War. So a current generation God of war could see a similar jump in sales as Uncharted this generation, especially given the tone of excitement and interest around the game. Kratos's old personality probably didn't help either.

Shredderi

Why are yall discussing sales? I was talking about quality

yeah TLoU 2 will sell the most but GoW and Spider-Man will probably be better games

GoW is a serious contended but as good as Spider-man will be it will no doubt have the standard trappings of open world games you can't escape from unless you come up with a new magic super formula for open world games and it will almost automatically lower the enjoyability for me (compared to well crafted and paced linear game). That's just the nature of open world games for me, and applies to every single one of them so far. Horizon managed to make up for some of this with it's absolutely fresh and beautiful environment.

While I agree it's sad and I do hope they still fund some small, artsy games occasionally, the reality is that with the insane number of great indie games coming out this gen, funding those projects was kinda redundant.

Having said that, no that list of current gen games isn't comparable to last gen, because it's a SHITLOAD better. I look at their last gen games and Demon's Souls is the only one that stands out as a GotG contender. I look at their current gen games and The Last Guardian and Bloodborne are number one and number two, while Gravity Rush 2 has a very good chance of making it into my top 10.

Thanks!
I didn't say they are MS properties I said Microsoft is funding them and investing money on these kinds of games that Sony used to invest in last gen.

This isn't the first time this argument has been made and, no offence, but it's nonsense. First party and third party are two different things with different management, budgets and strategies.

Sony clearly doesn't fund as many small first party games as they used to but they still publish a hell of a lot more than Microsoft in comparison, even if you exclude VR games for some weird reason. Matterfall and Hidden Agenda are both coming this year and look great.

And as far as the third party side goes, unless you've heard something no-one else has, nothing has changed in that regard at Sony. They still "fund and invest money" in a ton of different indie (and Japanese) games, like Pyre, which just came out this week and is reviewing incredibly well.

Oh and fuck Last "in a dystopian future where freedom and equality won" Night.

Dabi

I'm looking at it strictly from a quality point of view.

Thanks!

Sony showcased many small games this gen, though. Last Night is a timed exclusive, so if the investment is simply making it timed, that's not really noteworthy as it'll make its way to the PS4 (and it goes against what Phil Spencer said about being against these kinds of exclusive deals). I wouldn't be surprised if Undertale makes its way to the Xbox One, but it's certainly coming to PS4 with a Collector's Edition and all and was shown at E3.

May have not been a critical darling, but you still get games like Drawn to Death by David Jaffe, who is working on two more games, to which I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is working with him. Have you played stuff like Hohokum or Counterspy yet? They may be up your alley.

I'm starting to wonder if a potential Legend of Dragoon remake could have some sort of a Crash-effect. I was looking at GI's new issue and in it they have a section about the responses to their top 100 RPG's list. One is about the exclusions in that list. They listed the number of complaints about specific games and the main four they brought up were Fallout 4, Uncharted (?), Kingdoms of Amalur and LoD. What stood out is that of the 400 complaints, 308 of them were for LoD. I know it has a following on some forums, but that's a very mainstream gaming magazine. So, seeing that level of support for it is a bit shocking.

fatherKratos

Neo Member
GoW is a serious contended but as good as Spider-man will be it will no doubt have the standard trappings of open world games you can't escape from unless you come up with a new magic super formula for open world games and it will almost automatically lower the enjoyability for me (compared to well crafted and paced linear game). That's just the nature of open world games for me, and applies to every single one of them so far. Horizon managed to make up for some of this with it's absolutely fresh and beautiful environment.

Yup, I cant wait to play Spider Man and I'm sure it'll be amazing and will look insane, but we can expect what the game will be like so not sure if its going to have many jaw-dropping moments. Same goes for may be GoW and TLOU2 to some extent. Not sure, if i'm going to feel how I felt while playing TLOU for then first time.

Really interested in the unknown...Death Stranding, Dayz Gone, Sucker Punch's next...

JlNX

Anybody know if Sony is doing a Gamescom conference or not?

Feel like they are missing a couple of games to show off on the Europe side.

Well given that they skipped it and Paris games week last year for PSX I don't think it's likely. They are probably going to focus down on PSX and keep whatever else they have got for that conference, especially given how good the conference was last year and given the tepid response to their E3 conference they will probably want to one up themselves. Which maybe means seeing what Suckerpunch is working on?

EDIT: Just correcting, got 2015 and 2016 mixed up. Thanks for reminding me Felipe.

FelipeMGM

Well given that they skipped it last year for Paris games week and PSX I don't think it's likely, in fact I don't think they will do Paris this year. They are probably going to focus down on PSX and keep whatever else they have got for that conference, especially given how good the conference was last year and given the tepid response to their E3 conference they will probably want to one up themselves. Which maybe means seeing what Suckerpunch is working on?

They didnt do PGW in 2016, that was 2015

So yeah, I dont think they will do neither (Gamescom or PGW) this year

Loudninja

4 PSVR games
At PlayStation, we’re serious about unearthing new talent to make sure we bring you the freshest, most innovative experiences across each of our platforms.

At the ChinaJoy expo in Shanghai, four new titles for PlayStation VR took center stage, the result of a partnership between Sony Interactive Entertainment and some of Asia’s most exciting developers.
This is just a small sample of the PS VR experiences we have in development in our talented studios around the world. We’ll have more to share soon.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/26/four-ps-vr-games-confirmed-for-the-west-during-chinajoy/

Seriously where is Dreams Beta? If they don't announce anything at this PGS or GamesCon then I would question the state of the game itself not just the beta.

kojiguerrillalwsll.png

Man, that combo is still amazing to think about.

Co-developed with Sony Japan. This is why I love this studio.

Yeah. That's awesome that they're working with them on this.

I'm starting to wonder if a potential Legend of Dragoon remake could have some sort of a Crash-effect. I was looking at GI's new issue and in it they have a section about the responses to their top 100 RPG's list. One is about the exclusions in that list. They listed the number of complaints about specific games and the main four they brought up were Fallout 4, Uncharted (?), Kingdoms of Amalur and LoD. What stood out is that of the 400 complaints, 308 of them were for LoD. I know it has a following on some forums, but that's a very mainstream gaming magazine. So, seeing that level of support for it is a bit shocking.

Woah neat.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

jordddddd

Neo Member

Don't fkin bate us like than jesus christ. I'm just here nicely scrolling through the thread and i happen to 3 celebratory gifs. Obviously you think something big has happened, so i quickly glance up and see the words "legend of dragoon remake". Do you know what that can do to a mans heart? please, save these kind of things for when stuff actually gets leaked or announced, and not for basless speculation or a persons dream.

N° 2048

Don't fkin bate us like than jesus christ. I'm just here nicely scrolling through the thread and i happen to 3 celebratory gifs. Obviously you think something big has happened, so i quickly glance up and see the words "legend of dragoon remake". Do you know what that can do to a mans heart? please, save these kind of things for when stuff actually gets leaked or announced, and not for basless speculation or a persons dream.

Check his username, I think it's fine for him to get excited at even the thought of it.

Some Nobody

Announcements would be on the front page. Chill out.

Top Bottom