• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo needs to do something about AFK in splatoon 2

Wii U Splatoon would disconnect me a few times, I never had an issue with any other online Wii U games. It's probably going to be one of those issues that does not show up in Japan so there's no problem to fix.

Koren

Fix your shit.
No, I agree... Splatoon 2 has awful netcode (and Switch network bugs is making things worse). It seems that if, for any reason, a couple packets are lost (or lag is increased for a couple milliseconds), the game throws you out.

I've got a awful lot of disconnexions, and while my connexion isn't stellar, it's still good. I've never had a problem with Mario Kart 8 DX or any online game except Splatoon 1 and 2. It's annoying as hell.

I hate people leaving a game as much as the others, but if the rate is higher in Splatoon, the game is probably at fault, not the players...

boiled goose

good with gravy
this is annoying on both sides.

if i win against a team where this happened, i feel like we cheated the win
if i lose because of this, i just get mad, especially if my score is higher than anyone from the winning team.

i wonder how people would take if the game booted someone from the opposing team to balance the teams...

They could just add a bot

Waikis

Feels weird someone on a gaming forum doesn't know what afk is.

Generation gap? Phrase doesn't work anymore due to younger folks using mobile?

correojon

In S1 if you were afk for a minute the game would disconnect you from the match, doesn't S2 do this? When this happens, in both games, you get 0P and the others members of the team get a message saying there was a low number of players, so if you lose the match your rank isn't affected.

Fiendcode

Please tell me your joking? PS4 manages wireless just fine but Nintendo as usual uses cheap infastructure/parts and all of a sudden "well futuristic technology is hard".Seriously if you meant that then Nintendo should gtfo out of making consoles so consumers dont have to sound as ridiculous as Kellyanne Conway defending Trumps bs.
PS4 uses a cheaper wifi chip than Switch (Marvell Avastar 88W8797 vs Broadcom BCM4356). PS4 didn't even initially support 5GHz band, that was only revised for Slim/Pro with a newer module.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't let you cancel and get out of matchmaking. Sometimes, not often though, i'm waiting for way too long and we just doesn't have enough people to start a match. Let me get out and find another match.

Also why aren't we allowed to change our equipment during matchmaking?

And for the love of God, please let us skip the intro!!!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A list of the modes and maps would've been enough, but noooooooooooooooo, make it mandatory to watch from start to finish. At least let us press + and let us skip it.
I agree with all of this. I like the intro, but it'd be nice to skip it when I don't feel like watching it and just want to play a quick match or two.

Puggles

I had the same person do this 5 matches in a row last night. They are obviously there since you have to press continue to move on to the next match right?

trixx

you sure its not a disconnect? Tons of people disconnecting mid match.

Haven't seen too many that are afk, if so there afk momentarily usually not the whole match

Also in Splatoon 1 you get disconnected if you're afk for longer than some alotted time

trixx

I had lots of connection issues with the original Splatoon, so I invested in a LAN connector for the Switch specifically for this game. Not a single dropped connection thus far.
got one of these as well cause i was disconnecting like crazy and losing ranks over disconnects, the wifi on switch coupled with splatoon's requirement for constant strong connections makes disconnection occur like crazy even when you compare it to Mario Kart

I don't know why they don't have backfill at least in regular matches. Maybe that takes too much effort like being able to leave a game in matchmaking.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Some people don't know what AFK mean? Either they have been living under a rock for the past 2 decades, or they're very young...

I haven't played THAT much Splatoon 2 -probably like 20 turf war matches and 10 salmon run matches- but I have never experienced any sort of disconnect issue. I had an "unstable connection" message flash on the screen during a match for about 2 seconds once but that's it. And I'm playing handheld mode on wifi.

It's strange to me hearing about wifi issues when my unit has been fantastic with online games. The only real issues I've had was during MK8D's opening weekend, and really nothing since then.

I have definitely had some disconnected players on my team though, and I'd love it if they could replace them with bots. And also fix whatever wifi issues there are for the people experiencing them.

Agreed. It's the elephant in the room no one seems to be talking about. There was a stink about the poor wifi at launch but it's been going mostly unacknowledged post-Splatoon as far as I can see. Everyone is quick to blame the players but it's not that simple.

That's because this issue doesn't exist for the majority of players. Just look at the thread about things people love and hate about the Switch- wifi doesn't come up at all. I've never had any issues with the Switch online, and I've used it all over my house. Even when the wifi icon is only showing one bar, I still get flawless connection.

I've also tethered the Switch to my phone while out and about and although sometimes it takes a while for the Switch to find my phone, once connected it never disconnects.

Must've played about 25 hours of Splatoon 2 so far, and according to the app, I've had zero disconnects.

Some people don't know what AFK mean? Either they have been living under a rock for the past 2 decades, or they're very young...

Or maybe they haven't spent their life up until this point discussing video games on the internet? I mean, I didn't know what AFK meant until this thread, and I'm 27. This is the first gaming forum I've ever been a member of, I don't have any friends who are gamers, and I've only really been playing games since 2011.

Koren

That's because this issue doesn't exist for the majority of players. Just look at the thread about things people love and hate about the Switch- wifi doesn't come up at all.
Not sure it's because people don't have issues (I nearly haven't reported the issue, yet, but Switch online is awful, I need to do a power cycle regularly to get the connexion back) and Splatoon makes things worse.

Or maybe they haven't spent their life up until this point discussing video games on the internet? I mean, I didn't know what AFK meant until this thread, and I'm 27. This is the first gaming forum I've ever been a member of, I don't have any friends who are gamers, and I've only really been playing games since 2011.
Pretty sure it's an IRC / other online chats things. I saw it a lot in the 90s-2000s in chats (and it's apparently also common on MMORPG), but I've barely seen it on forums.

Pretty sure it's an IRC / other online chats things. I saw it a lot in the 90s-2000s in chats (and it's apparently also common on MMORPG), but I've barely seen it on forums.

Semantics- you know exactly what I mean. 'Online gaming discourse' if you want to be really pedantic.

zelas

Yeah, let people leave matchmaking before a round. There have been a few rounds I reluctantly played because I accidentally hit continue and don't want to be banned over hard disconnects.

The game doesn't replace disconnected players? Seriously, Nintendo?

Yeah, imo their goals with matchmaking (including not letting you switch weapons) do not offer any benefit that offsets these problems. It's not just an issue limited to one player, the whole team is screwed.

DrArchon

I had the same person do this 5 matches in a row last night. They are obviously there since you have to press continue to move on to the next match right?

The only way I can see this working is if they stick around to continue on to the next match like you said, and move around a minimal amount during matches but still not paint anything.

At that point, why not just, you know, play the game?

wartama

Neo Member
Earlier today I played a match where two other people were on my team and only two on the other team, and one of them disconnected at the start of the match. Three against one. I was laughing and shaking my head at the same time.

There's something wrong with Splatoon's netcode. In half of the matches I play there's either a DC on my team or on the other teams. Makes victories hollow and losses infuriating.

When these are the wifi speeds my sister is getting when docked 10 feet from her router, I'm not gonna blame anyone but Nintendo for disconnects:

1MyLmQI.jpg

Stat!

Honestly, Nintendo needs to do something about online in general about Splatoon 2. I want to love this game so badly but the online is atrocious.

thefro

The best thing would be not to penalize the rest of the team if they lose because it's 3 v 4 due to someone disconnecting.

goldenpp72

They should allow people to join mid match but get no penalization and maybe a perk for participating. Especially in matches that last longer.

Seik

Banned
You two are making me confused. Is that a good or bad speed?

Those are some really bad speeds, mine is about the same distance and I get 30 MBPS for Download and 5 MBPS for Upload.

I did the same test yesterday (see my earlier post in this thread) and I got about the same results as his sister when I wasn't connected on my 5GHz signal.

This is literally the only game I play where i get connection issues and I play online games all the time.

If i get any unstable connection it never fixes itself and the game always just kicks me out. It's so annoying.

I see lots of this happen, and it sucks, especially when I'm killing it, but weirdly, it's never happened to me. I've played docked, and around my house handheld, and never happened. Just lucky I guess.

Peltz

My experience has been great so far. Ive only had one idle person in all of my matches and no disconnects myself. I'm playing with a wired Ethernet connection though.

Raimond

I was playing with my brother in same house online when I got connection error, but he was on other team but somehow didn't get disconnected (I was mad too since I was doing well).

Anyways, at the end of the match I was left with 0p even though I played about 2/3 of the match, as I was able to see the results on his screen.

So my point is that if you see someone with 0p, it doesn't mean that they were AFK. It could simply be they got disconnected midway through.

I get 10 MBPS on a really good day and the internet works fine. But only if it's connected so I have to use a Powerline Adapter since the router is downstairs.

Using Wi-Fi on any of my consoles is a losing battle yet the Switch works just fine. Haven't had a disconnection from them.

I have Google Fiber. Still trying to figure out why I only get 10 MBPS speeds instead of the true speed.

Only got that unstable connection message once and then dced. But I've seen plenty people 'disappear' during matches and end up with 0.

My Switch is on a 5Ghz wi-fi connection and it's the only device on it. During setup I had a problem where the Switch would disconnect every other minute but I fixed this by using Google DNS. Had to do the same for my Wii U back then too.

For those that have the option, if your Switch shares an entertainment area with a bunch of other devices and consoles, grab one of these and set it up near the entertainment area:

http://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/network-extenders/range-extenders

Then I hardwire from the extender > ethernet switch > devices/consoles (I have a Switch, WiiU, PS4, and Roku connected to the ethernet switch).

This is just my experience, but I'm essentially "outsourcing" the internet connectivity to a dedicated device, as well as reducing Wifi clutter by sending it all through a single device.

JCX

This rarely happens to me, but I have a wired connection to be safe. I have had 2 or 3 matches where one person DC'd, but it doesn't both me as much as when guys rage quit in OW comp mode, since the game takes the DC into account and doesn't penalize you for staying like OW does.

Mid match? Why would it? How would it?
Other games do it, the difference is a Splatoon Turf War match is only 3 minutes. Ranked modes can be longer but they can also be even shorter. Joining a game with like a minute left would kinda suck. It happens in Overwatch and those games last much longer.

Top Bottom