• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Explains Why Dragon Quest XI Doesn’t Have Voice Acting

Link.

In addition to the talk about having made a part of Dragon Quest III on PS4, Square Enix shared more about Dragon Quest XI, including their tough decision to not include voice acting. [Thanks, Ryokutya2089.]

The decision on what to do with voicing was a big debate over at Square Enix, with staff opinion splits between both sides. In the end, they decided to preserve Dragon Quest’s style up until now, and opted for no voice acting.

While it might seem like a foreign concept for those of us in the West that got Dragon Quest VIII voiced in its PS2 release, the original game wasn’t voiced in the Japanese version, and Japan only got the voiced game in the 3DS remake. Having a silent protagonist and a non-voiced cast is actually the norm in Japan, but it looks like Square Enix struggled between going with a more modern approach or sticking with tradition.

If they went with the voice acting option, Square Enix says that it would’ve taken a lot longer to record all the voices, and that would’ve also meant that the script would’ve needed to be completed earlier. Additionally, it would’ve made things difficult to make any changes later on in the development.

Series creator Yuji Horii also had a focus on wanting the players to properly focus on the scenario until the very end. He also did a lot of fine-tuning details of the script until the very very end. With this significance in mind, they decided to not include any voice acting into Dragon Quest XI.

The interview also mentions some talk from Horii about the protagonist’s emotional display. Since the protagonist is basically the player, Horii made the instruction to avoid showing expressions such as “anger” as much as possible. When the protagonist actually does get mad, you’ll see it in his body language and also in the movement of his eyes.

Other notes from the interview reveals that you’ll get to remove the protagonist from the party. There’s also a little something waiting for players who connect online after beating the game. While it isn’t any kind of online play, it may have a little surprise for the fans.

th4tguy

I bet it saved them a ton in December cost and time. I personally wish they had gone with voice acting. I haven't enjoyed a dragon quest game except for 8.

I actually dug the voice acting in VIII.

Another question would be would XI have an orchestral soundtrack or would it be in MIDI?

Kysen

Whelp, not gonna bother with the import then. Hearing the audio makes looking up unknown words easier. Was the primary reason Tales(xillia) was easy to get into when I imported it years ago.

Also for these long kind of RPGs reading nothing but text and that annoying beep sound when text scrolls is going to do my head in.

sotojuan

Would be nice to also let us know when NA release is :)

--

The backlash against no voice acting has come almost exclusively from the West. As the quote explains, Japan as never had it in original releases. I understand why Western players may be weirded out by it, but I think we'll get voice acting in the NA release like we did with DQVIII.

As others have said, it doesn't bother me. Most of the great JRPGs don't have voice acting anyway.

Ridley327

It seems like that Horii and the team were more concerned about getting this out ASAP, which I imagine Squenix didn't mind at all, but I don't think that will fly at all in the west.

RPGCrazied

No excuse in 2017 to not have voice acting. It could have just been limited like Ni No Kuni, only for important scenes. If they wanted to use the whole nostalgia line, then the game should have reflected that. Be a 2.5D game or something.

This takes my day 1 purchase of this and downgrades it until this game is like $19.99.

sotojuan

It seems like that Horii and the team were more concerned about getting this out ASAP, which I imagine Squenix didn't mind at all, but I don't think that will fly at all in the west.

It would be interesting to get their thoughts on the game being big on the West. Dragon Quest games sell so little in the West compared to Japan that they may just not care what we think. That said, they cared enough to dub DQVIII back in 2005. I can see them taking their time with the NA release (sadly for us) because there's less hype for the game here.

MilkBeard

No issues here. My favorite game experiences in the past were reading text and envisioning the characters to speak how I want them to, the old-fashioned way.

No excuse in 2017 to not have voice acting. It could have just been limited like Ni No Kuni, only for important scenes. If they wanted to use the whole nostalgia line, then the game should have reflected that. Be a 2.5D game or something.

This takes my day 1 purchase of this and downgrades it until this game is like $19.99.

Here's the deal: Japan likes their Dragon Quest without voice, and the games don't sell enough to warrant a dub in the West (and probably mix that with speed of delivery).

Also, I wonder: are people averse to reading? It's not bad, lol. Not every game needs to be voiced, I think. Some can stay oldschool.

LeleSocho

Banned
Metroid, Zelda and Xenoblade have voice acting now. We're just waiting on Pokemon to make the jump.

Metroid and Zelda got much worse because of voice acting, i am super glad that DQXI doesn't have it and more developers should have the balls to ditch it.

Quonny

To be expected from such a small indie company working on a brand new IP. Wouldn't want to invest time or money into something that could fail.

sanstesy

Metroid and Zelda got much worse because of voice acting, i am super glad that DQXI doesn't have it and more developers should have the balls to ditch it.

Difference is that Zelda and Metroid aren't nearly as story-focused as DQ are. That's why games with a huge story focus like Xenoblade get always full voice acting.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Voice acting will be the selling point for the Switch release next year.

/s
Like all nintendo games. It's fine.

lol...its not fine at all for every Nintendo game. The western market will expect voice acting for a big budget console JRPG.

I guess I'll probably get it when it's on sale or something. I don't have much interest in paying full price for a modern RPG with bad music and no voice acting.

I'm totally fine without voice acting. I'm amazed the game is even coming to the PS4 in the first place. It seems like at least Japanese developers have at least found a way to lower production costs in this AAA bloat world.

Fiendcode

Metroid got worse because Other M was a flawed product. We'll see how Prime 4 goes. Meanwhile BOTW might just be the best game in the entire Zelda series.

The point was though that most Nintendo adventure games and rpgs on consoles have VA now. This really isn't "Like all Nintendo games" at all.

Fbh

Doesn't really bother me.

The fact they are still going with the silent protagonist thing yet they don't let you create your own character bothers me more.

Blobbers

Dragon Quest VIII had really good voice acting, and even recently we've had World of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy XII TZA which were great efforts as well, so I'm a little disappointed.

Also, I already know a popular variety streamer who plays all the new releases including JRPGs that probably wont play this because there's a lot of lines that need to be read out loud. A lot of people have the sentinement that no voice acting is unacceptable in this day and age because it just means you've put in less effort.

I hope they reconsider for the west

I don't mind a lack of voice acting if there's at least a voiced grunt every now and then. A total lack of any level of VO just feels weird when the animations convey body-language and complex facial expressions.

The explanation is basically amounts to "this way it saves us time and money", which is fair, but cutting corners probably goes a little bit against the entire point of having a fancy HD version in the first place. My simplistic armchair-publisher solution (that probably doesn't take all sorts of external factors into account) would just be to release the 3DS version first, and push the PS4 one back a bit. The release date's pressure would be alleviated and allow them to go all-out in terms of audio-visual presentation (like getting an orchestral score too), recup some of the development cost already, and entice people to double-dip more easily with the releases spread out. Might as well line it up with the Switch version if it still exists, and market those at the same time.

Strings

Tbh, it's only a disappointment in the sense that the Dragon Quest material that does get voiced is typically pretty ace.

Outside of this and midi, the game looks just about perfect, and I can't wait for it to release on Saturday.

Also, I'm 90% certain they'll end up voicing the international version anyway.

EDIT: I honestly don't buy the money argument. This is a project that built 3 versions simultaneously, and exists in a premiere franchise. Obviously they're not going to throw away money, but they definitely could have added VO if they wanted to.

Metroid got worse but I prefer Zelda with voice acting. I can't remember the last console RPG I played with no voice acting for at least cutscenes. They are doing it to save money.

sotojuan

Since they're going to take their sweet time with the NA release, I have a feeling it'll have voice acting and maybe, maybe orchestral music.

Original JP DQVIII release (last traditional home console release) had no voice acting and sequenced music. The NA one had the voice acting and orchestral music.

Top Bottom