• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryse: Son of Rome |OT| Are You Not Entertained?!

Ghizz

picked this up in the steam summer sale.
finished the story in a day! was unexpectedly good, albeit the executions started feeling familiar after a while (though it did change up when you fight in water)

is MP worth playing?

Overall 8/10!

Damn I forgot how hard and punishing this game can be on Legendary if you don't time your blocks and counters right. Just took me damn near an hour to beat Commodus.

This was my second Xbone game after DR3 and I played the hell out of it and then sold it, rebought it, played it some more, sold it again, and now have it on GwG. I never noticed there are unique executions for enemies underwater. I was killing some dude earlier and he was face down in some water and I just held my foot on his head while he drowned, amazing.

Also the facial animations in cut scenes are still amazing.

Tsukumo

Damn I forgot how hard and punishing this game can be on Legendary if you don't time your blocks and counters right. Just took me damn near an hour to beat Commodus.

This was my second Xbone game after DR3 and I played the hell out of it and then sold it, rebought it, played it some more, sold it again, and now have it on GwG. I never noticed there are unique executions for enemies underwater. I was killing some dude earlier and he was face down in some water and I just held my foot on his head while he drowned, amazing.

Also the facial animations in cut scenes are still amazing.

Double executions are even better. My favourite ones though
are during the last fight in the hall against the praetorians protecting Nero.
Can't wait for the inevitable flood of people coming in the thread to ask how to beat the archers with pilas, when you are defending the soldiers on the beach.

Just finished this after downloading it from GWG.

Great game and well worth the love and attention given to it since release.

The story was a little basic and the fortresses were hilariously huge and out of kilter with the genre/setting but take nothing away from the content.

I played on normal difficulty and got through the game in two sittings and at around 6 hours or so in total.

Now - do I dip into the multiplayer? What about the DLC? If I don't fancy the multiplayer or population is too low, is the single player content on the DLC any good?

RedStep

Now - do I dip into the multiplayer? What about the DLC? If I don't fancy the multiplayer or population is too low, is the single player content on the DLC any good?

You can play most (all?) of the MP content single-player (just like playing SP Horde mode in Gears, etc). It's not as easy to get the high-level Survival stuff, but with 1:1 matchmaking it's never been hard to find a match.

The MP is a blast, I've probably played 50:50 solo and with a partner. Once you get used to the combos (remember to call to the crowd to extend your combos during lulls), you can level up really quickly and unlock stronger weapons/items.

Tsukumo

Just finished this after downloading it from GWG.

Great game and well worth the love and attention given to it since release.

The story was a little basic and the fortresses were hilariously huge and out of kilter with the genre/setting but take nothing away from the content.

I played on normal difficulty and got through the game in two sittings and at around 6 hours or so in total.

Season pass is part of the easter sale, if you are interested.
MP is fun if you have good connections and your teammate doesn't keep stealing kills. The amount of xp is multiplied by your hits. There's plenty of youtube videos that will show you how to increase hits: once you know what to do you'll gain levels pretty quickly.
Game is GWG so you should find plenty of people ATM.

So yeah, I've been trying all week at different times. No luck. Don't really have that much time to game anymore, so I'm not going to buy the DLC "just to see if I can play with someone else". So, after a many few rounds of Solo, I'm letting it sleep for a while.

It's a shame. It is a good game (not the best) and really enjoyed it. Hope it's on GwG soon, so that the MP lights up again. Until then, it'll be a solo round every now and then.
If you see this, I want to imagine you still playing those solo matches over the past two years, and you letting out this long sigh of relief that it has finally come to GwG lol.

Played some multiplayer tonight with a friend and had a lot of fun! The combat is actually more involved than I remember people giving it credit for.

I enjoyed this far more than i thought i would. Some parts are poor but mostly it is enjoyable nonsense. A sequel with more combat options and more expansive world could be aces.

Top Bottom