• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions |OT| After 6 years of Pacifism, the King returns.

2k7RSC7.png

UPDATE! INTRODUCING GEOMETRY WARS 3: DIMENSIONS *EVOLVED*!
On March 31st, 2015, there will be a title update, free of charge, on all platforms. Included in the title update (via direct communication from developer):

• Geo Wars 1 in Classic mode
  • 40 new levels
  • Hardcore Mode
  • New drone
  • New super
  • Revised hit boxes for Pacifism
  • Longer timeout on Geoms in King Mode
  • Improved lighting
  • Improvements to lobby/matchmaking in multiplayer
  • It won't tick through all of your friends scores at the end of a level anymore..
  • For PC there'll be some specific fixes for refresh issues, audio quality, various other minor niggles that have been reported

According to IGN's article and Sierra's own website, Hardcore mode allows players to play through challenging stages with no drones or supers, including separate leaderboards. The update also revises the previous level gating system in a bid to make progression easier.

NEW VIDEO TRAILER FOR THE "EVOLVED" UPDATE

More details might be released in the next couple weeks leading up to the release of the TU and I'll make sure to update here if they are.

Some screenshots of the new stuff on the way:

GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Publisher: Activision
  • Developers: Sierra / Lucid Games
  • Lucid Games consists of senior members of renowned racing game developer Bizarre Creations, original developers of the Geometry Wars series of games.
"Geometry Wars³: Dimensions is an exciting new evolution of the iconic, fast-paced and frenetic Geometry Wars™ gameplay fans love, and will introduce full 3D action and competitive online multiplayer for the first time in the franchise.

In addition to a full single-player campaign with 50 unique challenges and over 10 battle modes – five of which are completely brand new to the series – Geometry Wars³: Dimensions also features a revamped cooperative multiplayer mode, plus dynamic and persistent progression, offering players a consistently new experience each time they play."

FEATURES​
Platform exlusive bonuses:

• Playstation: Pre-order and get the "Secret Eye" level: a unique triangle-shaped grid with an evolving cubed wall.*
    Receive the platform-exclusive "Symbolic" level: enemies spawn in clusters shaped like the PlayStation controller button icons.
    *PSN pre-orders are only available in the Americas
  • Xbox: Pre-order and get the "Blood Count" level: a unique Torus shaped grid.*
    Receive the platform-exclusive "Titan Box" level: Titans on a cube shaped grid and Xbox green background.
    *Pre-orders are for Xbox One only. Blood Count level available to Xbox 360 users when game is purchased after launch on November 26, 2014 and before December 2nd, 2014 at 11:59 PM PST.
  • Steam: Pre-order and get the "Secret Eye" level: a unique triangle-shaped grid with an evolving cubed wall as well as the "Blood Count" level: a unique Torus shaped grid.
RELEASE DATES & PRICES​
  • PS3/PS4 - November 25, 2014 for $15
  • PC - November 25, 2014 for $15
  • X360/XB1 - November 26, 2014 for $15
  • As of July 7, 2015 the game is also available on iOS, Android, and PS Vita

MEDIA​

LCW5vUh.png
Streams of "known" players to watch upon release (in alphabetical order):

BLACKMACH1NE - http://www.twitch.tv/blackmach1ne
ConcludedFever9 - http://www.twitch.tv/Concludedfever9
K4rn4ge - http://www.twitch.tv/k4rrn4ge
XBLAFans - http://www.twitch.tv/xblafans
xRosierrox - http://www.twitch.tv/rosierro
YourExWife - http://www.twitch.tv/yourexwife

If you would like your stream to be added to the list, PM and let me know that you plan on streaming the game.​

Saying "the king returns" when Stephen Cakebread has nothing to do with this game is almost insulting to me.

That said, I hope it's rad. I just can't see it living up to the Retro Evolved and 2.

It's the 25th in Australia... is this out yet?

Not sure. Depends on the platform/system I believe. I think the XB1 preorder version unlocks on the 25th at 4:01pm PST even though it releases on the "26th".

Saying "the king returns" when Stephen Cakebread has nothing to do with this game is almost insulting to me.

That said, I hope it's rad. I just can't see it living up to the Retro Evolved and 2.

Well, the game includes every classic mode except for Sequence in addition to the new game and bonus levels.

And Stephen's on my FL and I dare say he'd approve. The fact that the name is living on in what seems to be a quality franchise is a definite plus.

CLEEK

I was playing Destiny last night when the notification came up that my pre-load had started! Woooo!

Still not convinced by the 3D rotating playfield. It works fine in Super Stardust because your ship is always dead centre. It never impacts visibility.

In Nano Assault NEO it's a problem, as the camera and playfield rotation is independent from your ship, meaning you get times when you're at the edge and you can't see enemies or bullets. From what I've seen, GW3 scrolls like the latter.

I think there's a classic mode which just has a 2D playfield, so there's always that fallback if the updated modes are shit. Custom soundtrack + Pacifism was the absolute pinnacle of last gen gaming for me. I hope this version cane bring back that magic.

Booshka

This shit better be good. Geo Wars 1 and 2 were some of my most played and favorite games of last gen.

Will be picking it up on PC if this one is good.

I followed Karnage on Twitch, recognize the name, that dude has like 100% in every XBLA game ever, and always saw him at the top of Geometry Wars leaderboards.

Nice OT

For those wondering how well this game plays, I'd recommend the XBLAFans twitch rebroadcast from today (it's in the OP) that K4rn4ge did. The game seems pretty great.

I think there's a classic mode which just has a 2D playfield, so there's always that fallback if the updated modes are shit. Custom soundtrack + Pacifism was the absolute pinnacle of last gen gaming for me. I hope this version cane bring back that magic.

My man!

We should get some GAF leaderboard action happening. Hopefully the game supports a unified leaderboard across multiple platforms.

Triz

3 and a half hours till it unlocks. Wife looked at me and said "shit that's the one more game, game isn't it." Deal with it.jpg

Insta subbed. Already pre loaded on PS4 and READY!
I was gonna go straight to classic but I'm really excited about the Adventure mode and the levels it has to offer. I remember when Geo Wars Galaxies came out and the levels on that were really creative and fun. That being said this looks 2x more fun.

Also looking for people to compare scores to and compete with.
PSN: callmeJackz
Xbox One: callmeJackz
(I'm getting it on PS4 first but will get it for Xbox One within the coming weeks)

CLEEK

I've still got my old GW2 playlist in iTunes. I copied onto USB drive last night, ready to relive the magic.

I like to think that Sony rushed out firmware 2.0 to ensure that custom soundtracks would work for this game. #4TheGW3Players

Derpyduck

Banned
Bought it sight unseen on PS4, and I told myself after Destiny, Driveclub, LBP3, and Halo MCC that I would stop doing that. I have a problem.

Not sure. Depends on the platform/system I believe. I think the XB1 preorder version unlocks on the 25th at 4:01pm PST even though it releases on the "26th".

Well, the game includes every classic mode except for Sequence in addition to the new game and bonus levels.

And Stephen's on my FL and I dare say he'd approve. The fact that the name is living on in what seems to be a quality franchise is a definite plus.

Are you not one of the best Geo Wars players in the world?

I pre-ordered it off faith. Once I found out they included the CLASSIC modes as well as the new stuff, I knew I made the right choice. It can't possibly be bad.

Im not convinced by what I've seen so far, as a massive fan of the first two but hopefully I will be surprised, its preloaded on my Xbox One, anyway

Seriously? I don't think I ever got above that 250k achievement for Retro Evolved. But I think that's because I just couldn't dedicate the time needed to get better when games like Gears 1 and Ghost Recon: AW were out.

Shit man, Halo 2 still had Live support when the first game came out. YOU MAKE TIME DAMMIT.

But yeah, I'm a little out of practice. But I was streaming some no-bombs games of GW1 earlier today (evolved, not retro) and was doing pretty well with 2 five million point games in a row. I'm at the point now where I can get all the achievements in the first game in one game without using any bombs, but that takes some effort. Just getting all the achievements, though? It's hard, but doable for most people, I'd say.

Just 3 more hours!

Feel free to add me for some leaderboard competition:

PSN: Espanajefff

Resogun and Geometry Wars on the same console makes me very happy.

But isnt the classic mode 3D?

I want this but am too worried about it

But isnt the classic mode 3D?

I want this but am too worried about it

Classic mode looks like classic mode. The grid moves a little bit in classic mode, but only a little I think, which shouldn't distract you that much, if any. The level does twist in Adventure mode a lot from what I've seen, but it actually looks like the twisting would help you more than hurt you. It twists not in a random way, but in a way that allows you to see all four corners of the grid to avoid surprises. I watched some gameplay where one of the devs were talking about that aspect in particular.

If you've played Geo Wars Galaxies (on Wii and DS), some of adventure mode seems to be akin to that. So far I've seen more semi flat stages with added twists and catches in Adventure than I've seen full blown 3D stages.

Top Bottom