• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 wheel GAF UNITE!

daw840

I've ridden approximately 200 miles and it still scares the bejesus out of me when I really romp on it. Sooooo much low end acceleration.

I see all the wimps come back out on their bikes once it starts warming up
SMH when I'm the only dude who rides All winter as long as it's not raining (have no rain gear)
Man up and face the cold! You dont have to go through the whole winterizing process and drain anything if you ride it every single week

Damaged

SMH when I'm the only dude who rides All winter as long as it's not raining (have no rain gear)
Man up and face the cold! You dont have to go through the whole winterizing process and drain anything if you ride it every single week

Your not alone, I rode all winter :) think my worst day was minus 9 and snowing lol

1585fd12430beed2141069acb6cf72d36148a8f4.jpg

Wolfe

Yeah yeah, I see that attitude from guys all the time. Hell I was like that when I lived in Cali, but now I'm in Wash and it's just not worth the effort for me. Even if I had rain gear I would still have to deal with getting in/out of it twice a day and the just general displeasure that comes from riding in the rain on the freeway with a bunch of other cars kicking up spray off the road.

daw840

Yeah yeah, I see that attitude from guys all the time. Hell I was like that when I lived in Cali, but now I'm in Wash and it's just not worth the effort for me. Even if I had rain gear I would still have to deal with getting in/out of it twice a day and the just general displeasure that comes from riding in the rain on the freeway with a bunch of other cars kicking up spray off the road.

Yeah, I ride for fun. If it's not fun, I don't want to ride. Plain and simple. Freezing my ass off is not fun....

That is nice looking.

Edit: Fuck, looks like they are not available in the US.

Seriously? That sucks and very weird considering we get it up here in Canadia, though it seems Kawi likes to do this since they did something similar with the ZZR250. Maybe look into importing one? The bike is very reasonably priced ($8200 tax in) and damned nice.

Muddimar

I had this same exact bike, 03, orange, but full fairings. It was my first bike and boy it was fantastic. I threw a Yosh pipe on it, sounded great with the V twin engine. All my friends had CBRs, GSXRs, R6s, none of them ever got comments on their bikes like I did lol. Has great power/torque ratio for handling curves, lightweight, comfy seat (compared to other 600s). I eventually sold it to a friend of mine when I upgraded to a liter bike. Good to know someone has similar taste.

Muddimar

It's not about what the salt will do to the paint/metal. It's about riding around when there is a salt/sand mixer on the ground. Nothing like going through a turn and crashing your bike because you couldn't wait for a few rainy days to wash the crap off the roads. I never take the chance, I always wait.

I know on other sportbike forums it's kinda usual, but does anyone else like to ride in the rain? Or is because I'm from LA and we rarely get any here?

Also, I need a bike soon...

Question for all repair/tech-Gaf out there. I've noticed a leak in the underside of my OEM M696 exhaust. I want to say it's condensation, as it's clear and odorless, but it's been bothering me and I'd like Gaf's opinion. Should I take it into a shop? It's an '09 and the warranty has expired.

I've attached a few photos below. I should also note that it stops leaking once the bike is fully warmed up.

Side View
OFUCcl.jpg

Underside
xV3S2l.jpg

I know on other sportbike forums it's kinda usual, but does anyone else like to ride in the rain? Or is because I'm from LA and we rarely get any here?

Also, I need a bike soon...

I love riding in the rain. Could have something to do with my first ride longer than 10 minutes was in torrential rain for just over an hour.

kylej

Banned
finally got the bike out of storage today

IMG_0143.JPG

(yes, missing seat, I was installing the battery).

feels good man. feels so good.

I love riding in the rain. Could have something to do with my first ride longer than 10 minutes was in torrential rain for just over an hour.
My first ride in the rain was going home for Thanksgiving from college, which was a total of 80 some miles on flooded LA freeways. It was fun.

I wonder what I'll be like 10 years from now...

"I dont like to ride in the summer time because there are bugs out and I run into them and they hurt and that's no fun
Also I get sweaty and I always smell like outdoors and THAT's no fun
Also I might get caught in the rain and THAT'S CERTAINLY NO FUN
YOU MIGHT SLIP AND FALL OR SOMETHING
If its not FUN I dont do it
So I dont ride anymore
Now I just post on gaf"

kylej

Banned
Tough guy motorcycling is retarded as shit, get over yourself.

Oh you only ride on roads in the winter time? Why not just take off through the woods to get to work. Oh you wear protective gear too? Ride nude, that's more manly. Personally I run the Dakar Rally in a thong on a TW200 before I go to the grocery store.

Oh you only ride on roads in the winter time? Why not just take off through the woods to get to work. Oh you wear protective gear too? Ride nude, that's more manly. Personally I run the Dakar Rally in a thong on a TW200 before I go to the grocery store.

Tell us how you really feel...

Tough guys get dead, that's my thinking. If it gets too windy I'll stop until it calms down. I also hate getting hit by bumblebees and june bugs. Those fuckers hurt!

I wonder what I'll be like 10 years from now...

"I dont like to ride in the summer time because there are bugs out and I run into them and they hurt and that's no fun
Also I get sweaty and I always smell like outdoors and THAT's no fun
Also I might get caught in the rain and THAT'S CERTAINLY NO FUN
YOU MIGHT SLIP AND FALL OR SOMETHING
If its not FUN I dont do it
So I dont ride anymore
Now I just post on gaf"

What's your problem, man? Salt, that's all we're saying (or I am, at least). I love my bike too much to subject it to that.

Muddimar

Tough guys get dead, that's my thinking. If it gets too windy I'll stop until it calms down. I also hate getting hit by bumblebees and june bugs. Those fuckers hurt!

Dude! True story. I left my bike outside (instead of inside the garage) and on my way home I felt stinging pains all over my stomach. I kinda ignore it because I was almost home, I figured something kicked up and hit my stomach. I get inside the kitchen, talking to my Dad, I tell him "yeah I totally got hit in the stomach with something", lift up my shirt, and bees are crawling everywhere inside my shirt! I run outside in a flaily rampage, whip my shirt off, throw it to the ground, and started stomping on it. Turns out I was stung 3 times in the stomach, luckily I'm not allergic. After this crazy incident I was mega paranoid, so I ended up taking most of my fairing work apart to search for the bee nest. I eventually found it and destroyed it with great pleasure. Pro Tip: Don't leave your bike outside if you don't have to!

Dude! True story. I left my bike outside (instead of inside the garage) and on my way home I felt stinging pains all over my stomach. I kinda ignore it because I was almost home, I figured something kicked up and hit my stomach. I get inside the kitchen, talking to my Dad, I tell him "yeah I totally got hit in the stomach with something", lift up my shirt, and bees are crawling everywhere inside my shirt! I run outside in a flaily rampage, whip my shirt off, throw it to the ground, and started stomping on it. Turns out I was stung 3 times in the stomach, luckily I'm not allergic. After this crazy incident I was mega paranoid, so I ended up taking most of my fairing work apart to search for the bee nest. I eventually found it and destroyed it with great pleasure. Pro Tip: Don't leave your bike outside if you don't have to!

0_0

Thank god I have underground parking. Sweet lord that's awful.

Edit: Just remembered a similar story where my buddy left his bike outside with his helmet on the helmet hook and a bird claimed the inside of his helmet as a home.

You seem upset over a joke
I'm sorry Kylej for offending you

Tough guys dont get dead, invincible thrill seekers who take corners fast and cut between traffic get dead

Is salt really all over the road all the time where you guys live? It's only put on here when snow's predicted, and it's gone a few days later

Muddimar

Is salt really all over the road all the time where you guys live? It's only put on here when snow's predicted, and it's gone a few days later

Yeah, in Ohio is stays on the roads until Spring really starts to move in. Luckily for us the Winter hasn't been too terrible, so the salt they laid down this year was minimal. Salt by itself isn't too bad, but they mix it with sand lol. Also, I hate riding in any weather below 50 degrees... it just isn't fun for me when I'm freezing my ass off.

Tough guys dont get dead, invincible thrill seekers who take corners fast and cut between traffic get dead

I should have put it as "Tough guys" because those are the people I'm referring to.

Like Mud said, it isn't the salt really, it's the mixture of sand. They don't really get to cleaning the streets until May/June and with how wonky our weather is they often sand/salt again if a weatherman thinks there is a chance of snow.

AiTM

Banned
Its been very nice having a bike again...Heres a couple more pictures of it. I really want to lower it an inch or two, and need a fender eliminator kit. Love the bike tho.

6980212549_45ce2cbf4c_z.jpg

6980210117_b3a00e4e3c_z.jpg

Its been very nice having a bike again...Heres a couple more pictures of it. I really want to lower it an inch or two, and need a fender eliminator kit. Love the bike tho.

I don't really like the Ninjas, but I really like the way your bike looks. The red shock does it for me.

Why do you want to lower it? Want to flat foot it? The ER-6n is the same seat height and when I sat on it I could get most of my feet on the ground at 5'5". I'm hoping it's slightly adjustable so I can bring it down a little bit.

The lady and I ride a '75 Honda CB750 and an '81 Kawa 550 LTD respectively.

This year she's planning on picking up a Ducati Monster 696 and I may think about that Triumph Street Triple in Red. Damn sexy. We love our mid-ranged beasts.

imag0010pw.jpg

AiTM

Banned
I don't really like the Ninjas, but I really like the way your bike looks. The red shock does it for me.

Why do you want to lower it? Want to flat foot it? The ER-6n is the same seat height and when I sat on it I could get most of my feet on the ground at 5'5". I'm hoping it's slightly adjustable so I can bring it down a little bit.

I can basically flat foot, but not a powerful sturdy flat foot. Im 5'8", but all upper body. My legs are probably the length of someone whos 5'6". One inch may be nice. But im not too worried about it.

Muddimar

Make sure to adjust your kickstand if you do lower it. Don't want it to topple over on ya!

The lady and I ride a '75 Honda CB750 and an '81 Kawa 550 LTD respectively.

This year she's planning on picking up a Ducati Monster 696 and I may think about that Triumph Street Triple in Red. Damn sexy. We love our mid-ranged beasts.

Those bikes are going to blow your fucking minds, mark my words.

I believe it!

She's ridden both because she was undecided. The Ducati gave her the raw, passionate Italian fire she's been looking for in a bike.

Not to mention brakes that aren't from the Reagan Era.

All kidding aside, the 696 is an incredibly nimble bike, love it to death.

I'll keep my refined powerhouse. :)

Yeah, I test drove the Speed Triple a couple years ago, though I'm willing to bet the 675 is actually more fun. Perhaps the 1050 is a little too much engine.

bad idea to test ride bikes when you have no money. test drove the Street Triple a while back and holy hell, it was amazing.

I should also add that I am by no means an irresponsible rider. I like riding in the rain and, since the bike was my only transport a necessity and I took bad weather as a learning experience.

TomServo

IMAG0217.jpg

IMAG0216.jpg

Well, I was banned when you posted this and it really pissed me off. This is my new bike. Almost exactly the same bike.....except for a pesky additional 350 CCs, and a belly pan. I absolutely love this bike. I have plans for some Heli-Bars that will bring the bars up 2 inches and rearward 1 inch. Makes for a little less stressful riding position.

Nice!

I love the belly pan, I need to get one for mine. OEM isn't available any more, unless I get lucky on SVRider or eBay I'll probably import a Poly26 pan. It's the only one I've seen that looks factory.

Wednesday's are my designated ride-the-250-to-work days. Man, it's hard going from the 650 every other day to a Ninja 250. Just trying to keep it in running order until the girlfriend can take it over in a few months.

Not to mention brakes that aren't from the Reagan Era.

All kidding aside, the 696 is an incredibly nimble bike, love it to death.

Yeah, I test drove the Speed Triple a couple years ago, though I'm willing to bet the 675 is actually more fun. Perhaps the 1050 is a little too much engine.

The big problem is we don't have a Ducati dealer within 200 miles of my home. All our service would end up being done at home or at the Triumph dealer. Or after a nice long drive to the Ducati dealer.

I haven't tested out the Speed, it's a bit tall for me though. I'm mostly upper-body and it's an issue with it comes to flat-footing a bike. I wouldn't be comfortable with all that power without good support.

I would like to join my 2 wheel brothers within the next 3 months. I'm going to take my time shopping around for something and not just bite on impulse. I have zero experience with motorcycles but I don't think it would be very difficult to catch on.

I'm thinking of the 2-3 thousand range. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a beginner? I want something like a Ninja but I am not sure if I should jump out of the gate at something like that.

I would like to join my 2 wheel brothers within the next 3 months. I'm going to take my time shopping around for something and not just bite on impulse. I have zero experience with motorcycles but I don't think it would be very difficult to catch on.

I'm thinking of the 2-3 thousand range. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a beginner? I want something like a Ninja but I am not sure if I should jump out of the gate at something like that.

You lookin to eventually end up on a sport bike? or what type of bike do you have your heart set on?

Ninja 250r
Honda Rebel 250

Ninja 250r
Honda Rebel 250

Yes most definitely a sport bike.

Yeah, a ninja 250 would probably be a great bike to start on. I would take the MSF class first before buying one. Also, when you do eventually buy one, take it slow and build your experience up before you move onto things like heavy travelled roads and highways. I have a friend that thought he was good to ride anywhere he pleased after only taking the class and he wrecked a bike he was test driving cause he fucked up a simple turn.

When I bought my first bike I actually had them deliver it to my house in one of the dude's trailers since it was pretty far from my house. That way I could get used to the bike driving around my neighborhood.

Yeah, a ninja 250 would probably be a great bike to start on. I would take the MSF class first before buying one. Also, when you do eventually buy one, take it slow and build your experience up before you move onto things like heavy travelled roads and highways. I have a friend that thought he was good to ride anywhere he pleased after only taking the class and he wrecked a bike he was test driving cause he fucked up a simple turn.

When I bought my first bike I actually had them deliver it to my house in one of the dude's trailers since it was pretty far from my house. That way I could get used to the bike driving around my neighborhood.

They have one of those classes behind my local mall I see almost every weekend so I will definitely get that taken care of.

Is there anything besides the Ninja 250 that is comparable?

They have one of those classes behind my local mall I see almost every weekend so I will definitely get that taken care of.

I'm probably not the best person to ask....I've only ever looked into cruisers and have been starting to fawn over some adventure bikes. Never really been into sportbikes. As far as I know, there's not a huge selection of sportbikes in the 250cc range.

in my opinion, no. Unless you are a big guy than a KLR 650 or other dual-sport would be a good option.

TomServo

Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R
Suzuki GS500F

I love my '11 Ninja 250R, but it really could use a bit more power. Either one of the above bikes will be just as forgiving and just as cheap, but will be a lot more enjoyable due to a more capable engine.

'08+ 250R's look freaking sexy though.

Top Bottom