• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

I'm going through the third palace right now, and I think I can safely say at this stage that Makoto is barely a blip on the waifu radar. She's like the Yukiko of Persona 5 - very upstanding, prim... and completely and utterly bland. She's like a portrait without the face painted on.

Ann's made more of an impression but she's still pretty vanilla. The teacher's making good headway though, so unless a new contender knocks it out of the park, it looks like I'll be fulfilling my pervy teen proclivities through video game format.

How is that possible???

The first like 3-4 links are pretty much a given,
Mishima
is one of the easier ones at that I think I only spent time with him once between rank ups.

It's just that everytime I go see him he's not available to spend time with. But I just did one request and now it seems I can spend time with him... So maybe it's connected

Chaos17

The whole exchange pissed me off to no end. MC and Co. shouldn't have bothered to prove anything and rather stone-walled her and denied, denied, denied. Better yet, grab the phone, erase the evidence (and cloud storage :p) and then deny :p.

How is blackmailing MC and crew into doing dangerous work a good thing?

I agree with you, all of this bs just for the twist at the end of palace 6...

Jintor

calling makoto p5's yukiko is p. savage tbh

...oh hey did they skip the 'waifus can't cook' joke this time around? I guess cooking just never came up

Jintor

d1c.gif

good times

Jintor

i really liked that ann's reaction to ryuuji leering at her was to laugh at him and then basically try and wrestle him

truly the broest of bros

pity about the pyramid scene tho, really standard anime reaction. The fireworks festival was kinda funny though

calling makoto p5's yukiko is p. savage tbh

...oh hey did they skip the 'waifus can't cook' joke this time around? I guess cooking just never came up

Totally skipped it. No hot springs antics scene either.

They do make a joke about it with Ohya romance rank 10
when she offers to cook and then reacts with someone annoyed surprise like the idea of a journalist cooking is beyond the pale.

I agree with the Makoto is typical bland Priestess girl because she is. Her slink is by far the worst in the game with maybe 2-3 scenes worth a damn in the whole story line. In the main story she feels too constructed to appeal to the waifu culture fanbase persona has.

Jintor

i will only go so far as to admit that her slink is pretty boring tbh. But I like all her romance and date scenes.

honestly i think that's kind of a thing overall, you don't really get a good sense of party char's 'phantom thiefness' or sense of rebellion a lot of the time. Like it seems to materialise in their rebel outfits and in battle and... that's it really

Jintor

although in her slink
her slapping that chick was pretty great. i'm disappointed 'you' feel the need to intervene before that host steps in tho cos Makoto would have stomped that jackass

Still sitting on 3 Guts. Ever since I progressed Takemi to the higher ranks she stops giving any. Is there a better option than getting my fortune read and eating burgers?

Jintor

Still sitting on 3 Guts. Ever since I progressed Takemi to the higher ranks she stops giving any. Is there a better option than getting my fortune read and eating burgers?

guts is definitely burgers for your best bet. maybe movies and shit if you get the chance. can't think of anotehr slink besides doc that helps it tho

Keep an eye out for books and DVDs I suppose. Study at the diner when improving your knowledge and drink coffee to get that little bit extra on the side.

I got Guts to three rapid-fire so I could start the S-Link with Kawakawi. Now I need to get it to four so I can get Iwai as a confidant. It's not easy.

Reached my first romance decision point with Takemi
Deciding on whether to be a honest man or a dirty 10-timer (on this playthrough) was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make in a game

Are you going full harem?

I won't. It's tempting, but I hate harem anime so I have to play responsibly.

Zaru

Reached my first romance decision point with Takemi
Deciding on whether to be a honest man or a dirty 10-timer (on this playthrough) was one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make in a game

StereoVsn

i will only go so far as to admit that her slink is pretty boring tbh. But I like all her romance and date scenes.

honestly i think that's kind of a thing overall, you don't really get a good sense of party char's 'phantom thiefness' or sense of rebellion a lot of the time. Like it seems to materialise in their rebel outfits and in battle and... that's it really
I agree and I think the characters are just not as well developed in general in comparison to P3/P4 (especially the latter).

Jintor

I still have to finish haru's slink but in terms of party links (guess I'll spoil)

S tier
Oracle
Skull

A tier
Fox

B tier
Panther
Queen

??? tier
Mona
Crow

didn't do it yet completely but liked what i saw
Noir

Nightbird

Somehow I didn't managed to start my social link with Yusuke.

I recently finished the third palace.

Can someone help Pls? Is there something I'm missing?

NotLiquid

As someone who finds Mitsuru and Yukiko two of the most boring characters in this series I dig the hell out of Makoto. She has a deceptive depth to her, being rather misunderstood and far more friendly than you'd imagine, where-as the only real defining traits of the two former is one is sheltered and the other is oblivious.

Also while I haven't gotten deep into Futaba's s.link yet, if it doesn't convince me (which I have a feeling it actually might) I think I'm going to go with Hifumi as a romance option. She's just so pleasant, I expected her to be boring starting off but I just love how gung ho she is about shogi. I like characters that come across as distant but turn out to be geeks.
Her Hawaii scene was also really nice.

Jintor

i'm still really miffed there's no option in futaba's link (lvl 8)
to just tell her you're family and turn her emotionally dependent feelings towards you in a less creepy way. I mean she deals with the friendship talk pretty well considering, but yo

yo

we're family, kid!

Sayad

although in her slink
her slapping that chick was pretty great. i'm disappointed 'you' feel the need to intervene before that host steps in tho cos Makoto would have stomped that jackass
Yea, there's a lot of lost potential in Makoto's S-Link.

I feel like Persona 4 had more scenes of the characters hanging out and being friendly with each other. Maybe it's because a lot of things have been relegated to text messages, or maybe it's because I'm comparing 5 against Golden. I'm not sure. The lack of time with Haru is the biggest issue.

Sure don't miss the "lol the girls can't cook" scenes, though.

Having now romanced Ann, Makoto, Ohya, Kawakami, and Tae I can safely say this game has the weakest romance stuff in the series. Most of the confession scenes and pay off scenes are all rather disappointing.

I romanced Futaba and thought her scenes were super cute. I know a lot of people here are not comfortable romancing her, though.

Weebos

Banned
I have a sister and I feel pretty safe saying that the Slink with Futaba doesn't represent a sister relationship in anyway that I have ever known.

I agree, really don't get why people feel this way about her. She never acts like you're siblings, even in
Sojiro's confidant scenes
. I don't think Sojiro feels like my father either.

You don't even live in the same house.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm proud to say I've maxed all the confidants in my first playthrough.

I feel like Persona 4 had more scenes of the characters hanging out and being friendly with each other. Maybe it's because a lot of things have been relegated to text messages, or maybe it's because I'm comparing 5 against Golden. I'm not sure. The lack of time with Haru is the biggest issue.

Sure don't miss the "lol the girls can't cook" scenes, though.

I romanced Futaba and thought her scenes were super cute. I know a lot of people here are not comfortable romancing her, though.

Futaba is who I'm leaning towards for xmas/vday based upon everything I've seen though I'm only half way through her slink.

So far I'd rank the romances

Kawakami > Tae > Ohya > Makoto >>>> Ann

Ann's romance option felt like it came out of nowhere in her slink. Makoto's was good but it didn't have the emotional build up the other 3 had imo. Maybe the spice of them all being older and the "we can't date your a minor" made their scenes have more impact for me.

I figured I wasn't getting sister vibes from Futaba because I only have brothers. Guess not! She has such an obvious crush on your character.

I don't think Sojiro feels like my father either.

In his Rank 10 scene
he says it would be weird if you called him father. Of course, he also tells you not to date Futaba, though he at least backtracks on it afterward.

I liked the idea of MC and Futuba getting to have the relationship that Sojiro and Wakaba never got to have. It felt pretty romantic to me.

Zareka

Question: how difficult would it be to max all slinks in NG+ without a guide? I have max Charm/Knowledge/Understanding and rank 4 Guts/Proficiency. I'd like to at least max all slinks this run if not plat but I also don't want to be checking a guide every single day.

I managed to max way more than I thought I would in my first playthough (all but 4 I think?), so I'm guessing it should be doable. Maybe not if I want to read all books/play all games/watch all movies as well?

Waifu talk: Futaba best grill, no question. I never thought she seemed very sisterly.

I figured I wasn't getting sister vibes from Futaba because I only have brothers. Guess not! She has such an obvious crush on your character.

In his Rank 10 scene
he says it would be weird if you called him father. Of course, he also tells you not to date Futaba, though he at least backtracks on it afterward.

I liked the idea of MC and Futuba getting to have the relationship that Sojiro and Wakaba never got to have. It felt pretty romantic to me.
he says
it would be weird if you called him father in reference to dating Futaba (father-in-law). Then he backtracks on it

I'm not sure if thats what you meant, just clarifying in case.

Philippo

I suddenly hit a wall with Charm/Proficency/Kindness for various Confidants (Tae/Makoto, Haru, Sojiro), what's the quickest way to farm those?

Zafir

Question: how difficult would it be to max all slinks in NG+ without a guide? I have max Charm/Knowledge/Understanding and rank 4 Guts/Proficiency. I'd like to at least max all slinks this run if not plat but I also don't want to be checking a guide every single day.

I managed to max way more than I thought I would in my first playthough (all but 4 I think?), so I'm guessing it should be doable. Maybe not if I want to read all books/play all games/watch all movies as well?

Waifu talk: Futaba best grill, no question. I never thought she seemed very sisterly.
Assuming you managed to complete the Fortune arcana in the first playthrough it's really easy.

I've not followed a guide, or looked up social link responses and I'm close to maxing most of them in October. I've just been abusing the hell out of the affinity boosting in fortune telling.

I imagine it's still fairly easy even without the fortune telling, though.
I suddenly hit a wall with Charm/Proficency/Kindness for various Confidants (Tae/Makoto, Haru, Sojiro), what's the quickest way to farm those?

Charm - Bathhouse on Monday or Thursday gives +3. Also Rainy days can give +3, though there's a chance you may only get +1 guts.
Proficiency - Making tools
Kindness - Work at the flowershop

Kindness: Tower Social Link (not available until late), Hierophant Social link (if not currently gated by date), working in the flower shop, working at crossroads and selecting the right patron

Proficiency: Building tools, and Hanged Man social link (if guts is 4 or more)

Charm: Sun social link, Devil social link, bathhouse on rainy days (reload if you dont get charm), bathhouse on monday and thursday

Make sure to win each of the burger challenges too

StereoVsn

Romancing Futaba is just so weird to me. It's like romancing your sister. Y'all need Jesus.

Play how you wanna play though.
Yeap, between Sojiro being a cool guy to you once he warms up and her being more of a sister or even niece (depending on how you view Sojiro) character it just doesn't feel right. Then again, this is anime so you all roll how you must.

For Makoto vs Yukiko, the latter was even more interesting character with her feeling closer to the MC, but I think that's also due to structure of P4 / P4G where characters had tighter bonds.

Zareka

Assuming you managed to complete the Fortune arcana in the first playthrough it's really easy.

I've not followed a guide, or looked up social link responses and I'm close to maxing most of them in October. I've just been abusing the hell out of the affinity boosting in fortune telling.

I imagine it's still fairly easy even without the fortune telling, though.

Does maxing Fortune give me a bonus in subsequent playthroughs? I've never actually done NG+ in the previous Personas but I didn't think anything like that carried over. Or is it one of the services she offers? I never used them because I figured focusing on the actual social links was better use of my time.

Top Bottom