• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS VITA LED compared to PS Vita OLED. (Screenshot)

The green tint in this photo is because of the angle. If you look at the screen from above its just fine. OLEDs have a problem with neutral colurs because they need to apply an extra layer over the LEDs to produce white colour. Anyway, the LCDs black levels are very good but there is always backlight enabled while OLED just turns out the diode that has no colour information -> black.
The Vita OLED simply has problems with blacks and greys. They look green. There is no denying that the contrast is better on OLED, but it is at the expense of some green tints. It's not apparent all the time - in very vibrant games it is unnoticeable (Rayman for example looks better on Vita than anything but an OLED TV), but in darker, more realistically coloured games like Uncharted or MGS Collection, the green is very obvious, to me at least.

I have pulled up that exact scene in Uncharted on my Vita, and it exhibits the same green tinting from any angle. That said, it isn't as bad in person - but the photo does a good job of highlighting the problem. And you're right - from exactly straight on, the colours do look slightly better, which is strange considering OLED is supposedly the Second Coming and has such great viewing angles...
Not ignoring, but the glare on the 2nd uncharted image throws everything off.
Glare is not causing the green tinting. The glare is mostly blue, and there isn't any in the lower right portion of the screen.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I dunno, maybe that screen is not that static, lcd and oled are very different in movement.
oled16j74.gif

Nope

NOPE.

Wait thats a psp up top?

So much is wrong with this post

It's only a few centimeters bigger on the surface, but it's thinner and lighter.

Wtf does "still gloss" mean?

And screen differences shouldn't be as drastic as they are in the OP.

We don't even know what kind of LCD they're using. There are several kinds of LCDs that outclass OLEDs. Granted, this probably isn't the case since Sony wanted to save money, but I wouldn't go talking out of my ass like that.
A good LCD cost about as much as a OLED iirc. The whole point of this model is to make it cheaper, they aren't going to put a good screen in Vita. It won't be 3Ds levels bad but t won't be as good as the OLED. And no LCD is as good as OLED for gaming.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Zbv.gif

Yeah ok. Keep ignoring the green guys.
That's a useless shot as the game does NOT look green on an actual Vita.

This whole thread is useless as the difference between the two cannot be properly appreciated in a shot likely viewed on an LCD. Color temperate can be noticed and a difference in saturation to a degree, but the real differences won't be obvious without seeing them in person.

There's no doubt that the OLED will look much much better in person, however.

Glare is not causing the green tinting. The glare is mostly blue, and there isn't any in the lower right portion of the screen.
Would you stop harping on that? It's inaccurate and doesn't represent the game.

The Vita OLED simply has problems with blacks and greys. They look green.
Bullshit.

If you're seeing green, your system is broken, plain and simple (or a batch of screens had issues).

Nymphae

Banned
Just noticed that they changed the oval buttons to circles. That's a good improvement, it makes more sense overall (lots of circles in the vita os). The old Select and Start oval buttons were tiny and a little hard to hit.

This is my only problem with the Vita design really, they sit flush with the main face of the unit, so it's really hard to just feel them out instantly, they just need to be raised a hair.

Actually, the cover for inserting vita carts is also a little annoying. I've had to use a knife just to open the fucking thing and put in a game.

LiK

That's a useless shot as the game does NOT look green on an actual Vita.

This whole thread is useless as the difference between the two cannot be properly appreciated in a shot likely viewed on an LCD. Color temperate can be noticed and a difference in saturation to a degree, but the real differences won't be obvious without seeing them in person.

There's no doubt that the OLED will look much much better in person, however.

Especially in motion. Really curious how they look with fast paced games. I want a report of that.

This is my only problem with the Vita design really, they sit flush with the main face of the unit, so it's really hard to just feel them out instantly, they just need to be raised a hair.

Actually, the cover for inserting vita carts is also a little annoying. I've had to use a knife just to open the fucking thing and put in a game.
Speaking of the cart cover, I'm wondering if the cover on the new model doesn't cover both the cart slot and the mystery port. It looks a little big for just the game cart slot to me.

DESTROYA

The only way to really tell the difference is if you see them with your own eyes, screen shots don't always tell the real story.
Saying that the OLED in first VITA is beautiful the LCD probably won't be as good in the 2nd gen but still be a good quality screen.

rezn0r

I do think the OLED looks a little better color-wise, however I didn't realize the new one had a bigger screen. Plus the redesigned buttons annoy me (as in they are better imo). I have the first version and I love the system, and much like the PS3 will probably be happy to have the "dropped feature" - but I do wish I had those better buttons. Oh well. Not the best comparison shots either as others have said.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Looks like they went for a warmer color profile. That's the only difference I can perceive with these shots.

Dibbz

It's telling that the 2 shots that we have seen are very very different. Does not seem possible to see the quality from off screen because there are too many variables, especially when someone is trying to hold them both.

Lets be real though LCD probably is not going to beat out the OLED but I doubt it will look terrible like people are assuming it will.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Or you're just not seeing it. I've looked at several Vitas and they're all identical to mine, all showing green tinting in the greys and blacks.
Any green tint present is nowhere NEAR as exaggerated as that shot suggests.

Here's a picture I just snapped with my phone camera of the Vita screen in that exact same spot. You can see that there is no such green effect present.

Zbv.gif

fcv.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So glad to have my OLED.

But to clarify - are they continuing with the current 3G/Wifi model as it is? I was under the impression from the conference that they were.

IvorB

I hope I don't lose my Vita now. I know in theory that LCD screens can be very good but I just prefer OLED. What happens if I lose my Vita no?.. oh god...

Red Mage

Seems like it's something I'll have to see in person to compare. I am leaning towards the LCD version, however, because of the decomposing factor of OLED. Unless it's been overstated in these threads...

A good LCD cost about as much as a OLED iirc. The whole point of this model is to make it cheaper, they aren't going to put a good screen in Vita. It won't be 3Ds levels bad but t won't be as good as the OLED. And no LCD is as good as OLED for gaming.

Well, there is only one supplier, Samsung, which makes the Vita OLED screen, while there are many that could provide the new LCD screen. So I think that even with a good quality LCD, it's still going to be significantly cheaper for Sony than using OLED.

Here's a picture I just snapped with my phone camera of the Vita screen in that exact same spot. You can see that there is no such green effect present.

Zbv.gif

fcv.jpg

As in the bottom screen is from the new LCD one right?

I mentioned that.

Zbv.gif

fcv.jpg
But there is. I can see it in your photo. :/

Load white picture on your vita and you will see, that there is no green tint.
When did I say white has a green tint? This is not a discolouration like the yellow seen on iPads. This is the way the OLED displays blacks and greys. There is no tinting across all colours, no discolouration in the whites.

Seems like it's something I'll have to see in person to compare. I am leaning towards the LCD version, however, because of the decomposing factor of OLED. Unless it's been overstated in these threads...

I think I read somewhere that the blue oled will start going out at around 40k hours at max brightness. Or 15 years of 8 hours a day :p that's for the tech itself though, I can't confirm what quality Sony is working with here.

Mit-

I think the first picture is pretty telling that the new LCD will suffer the fate of most average quality LCD screens and have a bad warm temperature/yellow tint to it. Uncharted picture is not as good if a comparison. Not shot as close and doesn't feature any real whites to compare, not to mention the new picture a gaffer just shot above pretty much rules out any of the "green" complaints.

Wow, I got the two mixed up when I first looked at it lol.

I'll wait for more screen shots to get a feel on the screens. Maybe more professional shots.

I guess you can take an ingame screenshot and compare it to your off screen image to see if its adding any extra green tint.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So is the green visible in that Uncharted shot typical for OLED screens?

Edit: Just saw dark10x's shot. I guess that's a no.

I think this is just a ploy by Sony to sell OG Vitas.

But nah, I don't think the LCD model looks bad at all. Still not giving up my OLED, though.

I mentioned that.

But there is. I can see it in your photo. :/

When did I say white has a green tint? This is not a discolouration like the yellow seen on iPads. This is the way the OLED displays blacks and greys. There is no tinting across all colours, no discolouration in the whites.

Ok, I will do photo of black/gray background, when I will be at home. But I never noticed any tint.

This is quite possibly the most useless comparison thread of all time. You are relying completely on the camera phone that is taking these pictures, which has its own rules for manipulating color, exposure, white balance etc. Just silly to compare two photos of a screens taken with a camera phone to see which screen is better.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Yes let's take off screen photos are evidence that the quality difference is a gulf.

Offscreen screenshots always work out well like that.

Jawmuncher

I'll be holing onto my Oled vita for awhile. Hell I almost want to go grab another while they're still available in stores as a back up.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Pazuzu9 said:
But there is. I can see it in your photo. :/.
But the lcd shot has far more of a green tint, if anything it makes it look like the particular scene itself is green tinted. Any direct feed shots of the area?

Top Bottom