• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starting Trails in the Sky for the first time, anything to know? [Up: He finished it]

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I bought the PSP UMD at launch, I bought a digital version on vita, and now I'm finally playing the game after I bought it on Steam lol.

Anything to know before I jump in?

Check the Bulletin Board often. Seriously. All the time.

That being said, a lot of stuff is missable, and even though it's not the end of the world, it's still a bit annoying. Sometimes, you need to go reaaaally out of your way to talk to a NPC and get an item for a sidequest later in the game.

Other than that, gameplay wise or story wise, the game is pretty straight forward and a lot of fun. Enjoy!

Steel

Banned
Go in knowing that it's a slow build-up. Things gradually get more and more interesting though the quality of character interaction is pretty even throughout.

I didn't like it, I still played the sequel and loved that.

I'm going back to Sky, in a couple of weeks and giving it another go.

Aters

Talk to all the NPCs after every cutscene - the right way to play the series.
Or use a guide.

It starts slow. Don't let that discourage you and just continue. This is the first part of a HUGE game, so don't go in expecting the pace of a normal 40 hour JRPG. Take your time to get to know the characters and the world.

If you like a well built world and characters it's worth it.

Talk to all the NPCs after every cutscene

This.

If you hate missing stuff you should probably use a spoiler free guide for books and quests

Xhorder

I'm currently playing and I'm at the start of chapter two and I'm loving it. Keep in mind: this game is slow, but the characters and the world building is great. The prologue is a little long and kinda boring in the beginning, after that it will get a lot better.

kromeo

The combat kind of sucks but it's not the focus of the game. Don't be put off by the starting city, you're there for a long time without anything really happening, it almost put me off continuing but it does get better

Angouri

Neo Member
The story is the slowest burn, but it does pick up.

Talk to the chests after you loot them, for some good quips :)

The game is pretty slow, from its combat to its pacing. There's going to be a lot that seems like filler, but the colossal amount of it is pretty much one of the key selling points of the series. The world has stuff going on, whether you were around for it or not. NPCs are pretty fleshed out, and "evolve" as the games progress. If you like talking to NPCs, or just like RPG towns in general, this is going to be your series.

As others have said though, the game does contain a decent amount of missables. The flow of the game design thing only makes sense if you are backtracking non-stop, even when you think it might not think it is appropriate for the story's short-term goals. If you want to be on the safe side, you might as well revisit the Bulletin Boards every time you saw a cutscene play, or use a guide.

I've given the series three tries, but I usually "take a break" from it and never bother picking the save back up. The people that are open to what the game has to offer, adore it to death though. Hope it works out you for, Trojita.

Well, prepare for some homophobic dialogue later on when a certain party member joins your group.

I was enjoying the game quite a bit until that point. It really soured me on the entire experience. It comes from the main characters, so it wasn't exactly see and forget. I just felt sort of uncomfortable playing the game after that.

I know this is sort of a thing in Japanese culture, but its appearance in this game felt especially aggravating.

im actually in the middle of playing the Second Chapter, played FC about two years ago and loved it. I highly recommend to explore the world, i personally found it fascinating how EVERY npc's dialogue changed after every single minor event happened. You can tell they put ALOT of heart into the game and it really feels like a world

This game has incredible immersion if you give it the chance

Yeah, I'm early into chapter three and found out I missed things near the end of chapter two which is annoying... I thought I was already being through. >_>

danthefan

If you're struggling then check the orbment FAQ on GameFAQs for the best skills you can set up.

I think it's basically impossible not to miss stuff if you're not using a guide so either check a guide for side quests or just make peace with it.

It's a really good traditional RPG, enjoy!

Accept you are gonna miss stuff.
Enjoy the game, FC is merely a prologue to SC.

And remember: Olivier is love, olivier is life.

zakujanai

It's great to see people are still discovering these games, gives me hope for their future because once they have you they don't let go.

My tip is play without a guide, talk to every npc after a major scene and accept that you will miss stuff. The npc's stories are quite often the best part of the game. After Olivier anyway.

Edit:

Accept you are gonna miss stuff.
Enjoy the game, FC is merely a prologue to SC.

And remember: Olivier is love, olivier is life.

This person gets it

ThaPhantom

The story and characters and world seemed pretty cool but the combat is awful. I stopped playing after about 13 hours in. It was dragging way too hard and the combat was not making me want to keep going.

Thud

I bought the PSP UMD at launch, I bought a digital version on vita, and now I'm finally playing the game after I bought it on Steam lol.

Game autosaves after entering/leaving the screen.

You can retry battles when you fail.

Reserve money so you can buy SC after completing this game.

aravuus

In addition to everything else that's been said, check out cheat engine's speedhack functionality if the battles start to feel too slow for you. Being able to go through the battles at 5x normal speed made the combat much more tolerable, though I still think it's kinda awful.

Khort

played it on vita... loved the characters a lot but I am at the last boss fight and seems like you need to do a lot of grinding so after a while I gave up and started to play Cold Steel... I may try again later as I got SC too but don't want to start it before finishing the first just to import my save for all the trouble I went to do a ton of side quest.

Don't obsses over the missable stuff, just enjoy the game.
It has a slow start but the payoff is worth it. Just sit back and enjoy some of the best characters and world building to ever grace a jrpg.

Despera

Banned

Game tends to stretch cutscenes and conversations way more than needed. Be prepared for 20 minute long cutscenes that could've been done in 5.

Take the game at your own pace. It can be overwhelming to try and do everything. Just have fun and don't feel the need to rush through it.

The game prioritizes world building and character building over everything else, including the story itself.

Exentryk

I'm currently playing and I'm at the start of chapter two and I'm loving it. Keep in mind: this game is slow, but the characters and the world building is great. The prologue is a little long and kinda boring in the beginning, after that it will get a lot better.

The combat kind of sucks but it's not the focus of the game. Don't be put off by the starting city, you're there for a long time without anything really happening, it almost put me off continuing but it does get better

I just finished the prologue, and it is really boring. The combat is boring too.

I'm considering dropping it, but I'll stick around for a couple more chapters and see how it goes.

played it on vita... loved the characters a lot but I am at the last boss fight and seems like you need to do a lot of grinding so after a while I gave up and started to play Cold Steel... I may try again later as I got SC too but don't want to start it before finishing the first just to import my save for all the trouble I went to do a ton of side quest.

There is no need.Falcom is pretty anti-grind.
Do a couple of battles in the last dungeon and you'll hit the the soft level cap.
Your party and Quarz configuration are much more importart than your level.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
It's a slow-moving game with mountains of text and an absolute shitload of easily missable sidequests with short activation windows. Personally I found it to be massively overrated.

It does have its charms though, if you are really into anime tropes.

Well, prepare for some homophobic dialogue later on when a certain party member joins your group.

I was enjoying the game quite a bit until that point. It really soured me on the entire experience. It comes from the main characters, so it wasn't exactly see and forget. I just felt sort of uncomfortable playing the game after that.

I know this is sort of a thing in Japanese culture, but its appearance in this game felt especially aggravating.
You wanna explain this? I'm only in chapter two but if you are talking about
Olivier hitting on Joshua I don't really think that qualifies. I mean, Olivier is mainly teasing him and it makes Joshua uncomfortable, but...Olivier makes everyone uncomfortable on purpose. It's his shtick.

"Subtlety" is this series' hallmark. Treat the game like a computer RPG not how would a "typical" JRPG. Involved conversation, foreshadowing, wordplay, and worldbuilding are the goals. That sorta thing.

Controversial observance: haze quartz and heavily weighted xp makes this arc's combat better than Cold Steel. Its the Suikoden Way!

Rest easy knowing that you didn't have to wait TWO AND A HALF YEARS FOR ITS CONTINUANCE :mad:

FOUR and a half years for some of us. Ive gotten very mellow about waiting from this series and thats a good thing.

Exentryk

Get to a new city and walk in to a restaurant which has a big board with its name outside. I speak with the manager.

Estelle: "So, is this a restaurant?"

aravuus

I just finished the prologue, and it is really boring. The combat is boring too.

I'm considering dropping it, but I'll stick around for a couple more chapters and see how it goes.

It doesn't really get any less 'boring' until the final 10 hours. It's all about the character interactions and the world for the most part, so if you're finding it particularly boring now, I doubt it'll get that much better later on.

Combat stays the same, unfortunately.

Treat the game like a computer RPG not how would a "typical" JRPG. Involved conversation, foreshadowing, wordplay, and worldbuilding are the goals. That sorta thing.

Pretty much the best advice as far as expectations go for anyone who plays all kinds of RPGs ranging from the typical Final Fantasies and Tales games to Baldur's Gate and Torment. This is how I finally got into TiTS FC, and I loved it.

-NPC dialogue changes after every little event in the main quest.
-AOE attacks and long distance attacks are king. Use them liberally.
-Turn off voice acting unless you can get a Japanese voice pack.
-When you see those shiny little monsters on the field, make killing them a top priority. They provide tons of XP and resources.
-Finishing each chapter means that region will be permanently locked away. Get as much as you can out of it before leaving.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
As others have said, be wary of how ungodly slow the beginning is, even by JRPG standards. I hear it picks up, but it was so boring I deleted it and don't feel the need to go back and see for myself. I'd probably label it the most overrated game on GAF next to KI: Uprising.

Neoweee

I found the game to be completely unplayable before using Cheat Engine to speed it up to 1.5x. Sound//Music plays fine at higher game speeds, but the battles are horrifically slow at the base speed. 1.5x feels like a normal RPG, but some actually prefer it faster than that.

But about 10 hours in with the speed boost, and I'm absolutely loving it.

Thoraxes

Play it like you'd read a long book. Enjoy each moment, and take it at a relaxed pace.

Stop and see everything each location has to offer, and talk to all the townspeople. Characters you meet 10 minutes into the game have stories that span the whole first two games, while some even make it into the other titles outside of the Sky games too.

There's a significant amount of depth to the world if you choose to engage with it. Those of us that do engage with it have become smitten with the world of this series and very invested, to put it lightly.

Play it how you want though, which is the most important thing.

Mephala

The story focuses on a coming of age style story and is pretty straight forward most of the way for the first game. If you dislike these stories for whatever reason then there is a good chance you will not like this despite its better than usual execution.

For what its worth. I really disliked some of the characters at first but they pretty much all grew on me. To me it was worth it but I can fully understand how some people might not want to put in the effort to get into it.

Neoweee

The game is pretty slow, from its combat to its pacing. There's going to be a lot that seems like filler, but the colossal amount of it is pretty much one of the key selling points of the series. The world has stuff going on, whether you were around for it or not. NPCs are pretty fleshed out, and "evolve" as the games progress. If you like talking to NPCs, or just like RPG towns in general, this is going to be your series.

As others have said though, the game does contain a decent amount of missables. The flow of the game design thing only makes sense if you are backtracking non-stop, even when you think it might not think it is appropriate for the story's short-term goals. If you want to be on the safe side, you might as well revisit the Bulletin Boards every time you saw a cutscene play, or use a guide.

I've given the series three tries, but I usually "take a break" from it and never bother picking the save back up. The people that are open to what the game has to offer, adore it to death though. Hope it works out you for, Trojita.

Cheat Engine to speed hack the game. It's worth it, IMO.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
You should know that when abbreviated, the title spells out TitS

Ratrat

I actually like the two games for the gameplay and barely cared about the story. The battle system is great.

Tjamato88

Weird this would pop up right when I had a question about this game.

I'm in the middle of my first playthrough of Trails in the Sky FC and I'm in Kaldia Tunnel and I'm level 18 with Estelle and Joshua. Am I underleveled?

Top Bottom