• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you have a gaming PC, is there really any reason to own an Xbox?

I have and Xbox One S that I really like, but I am a computer science major and plan on building a gaming PC in the near future. I already own a PS4 and the Nintendo hardware, but the XB1S has become my main console. It makes me not want to buy any games for the Xbox since I know that the GTX 1070 rig is inbound. My question is, is there really any reason to hold onto the Xbox?

Edit: I don't have a 4K tv and have no plans to get one anytime soon.

Backwards compatibility, ease of use(games,media) and Xbox live playing with friends. If none of those matter to you, then probably not.

alexbull_uk

Xbox Play Anywhere kinda means that if you have a decent gaming PC, then no, it's probably not that worthwhile.

I won't be replacing my OG Xbone with a Scorpio, because it just doesn't seem necessary.

cackhyena

Nope. It's a convenience thing for me. Also I am more comfy playing shooters on controller. So I still gravitate towards my XB1. Can't wait for Scorpio too. Still...nope.

Admodieus

Right now, it's just for me to play Destiny and Forza Horizon 3 with my friends, since the PC port of FH3 is so bad. Over time, it will just become a way for me to play Live Anywhere games on my TV instead of in my office.

If you know you're going to be moving to PC gaming, I would keep your purchases to strictly Live Anywhere titles - Gears 4, Forza Horizon 3, Halo Wars 2, and (rumored) Resident Evil 7. That way you can play them now but will also have access to them on your PC eventually.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Complete list of Xbox One exclusives not on PC (minus Kinect-only titles and a couple of Japan-only titles):
Clash
Crimson Dragon
Forza Motorsport 5
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Halo 5: Guardians
Powerstar Golf
Raiden V
Rare Replay
Sunset Overdrive
+ Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility (and if you don't have a 360, add Zoo Tycoon and Forza Horizon 2 and Screamride to the above list)

I keep my xb1 for backwards compatibility (Red Dead Redemption, SSX, Halo Reach, etc), as well as games like Sunset Overdrive, FH2, and Halo MCC.

dmr87

PS4/Pro, Nintendo and gaming PC and you're set. If I were to get an Xbox Slim it would be for the BR player but I won't get a 4K TV in at least a year.

GRaider81

If its one or the other then there might be some reasons but if you are getting a PC anyway I would say probably not.

Although be very aware that if you want to play Xbox/win10 exclusives, Windows store is complete trash.

PS4/Pro, Nintendo and gaming PC is the combo to have imo.

bigkrev

If you like Madden or NHL, those are still console exclusives. Backwards compatibility?

That's about all I got

I have a friend who bought a $1500 laptop but still buys AAA games on his Xbox One

I don't get it either. I can get preferring a console but don't spend so much on a PC that you're not gonna game on. I plan on building a $500 or so PC next year and will still play on console for achievements and multiplayer so maybe I'm part of the problem. It's just a really nice console to play on.

Coolade

Not to mention if you remember, xbox backtracked on saying all future exclusives will be coming to PC, just the select few that were in the play anywhere schedule, mainly these
r8BpIQl.jpg

We have no idea if any more future xbox titles will be coming to PC.

Zomba13

I regret getting my Xbone. Even for the exclusives like Sunset Overdrive and the Halo games I still feel it wasn't worth it. It is nice being able to play some 360 games on it but I feel I never got my moneys worth. I mainly use it for Rock Band 4 now though.

bman94

I mean, the Microsoft PC ports have been a nightmare so I think it's just easier to own a Xbox for exclusives. And I can only imagine the PC multi-player bring a ghost town compared to the Xbox One multiplayer population.

Plus backwards compatibility and games with gold.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Basically if you have a PC that plays this generation of games well, you'll want to go Nintendo first, then Sony. This maximizes notable exclusives and reduces overlap.

Complete list of Xbox One exclusives not on PC (minus Kinect-only titles and a couple of Japan-only titles):
Clash
Crimson Dragon
Forza Motorsport 5
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Halo 5: Guardians
Powerstar Golf
Raiden V
Rare Replay
Sunset Overdrive
+ Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility (and if you don't have a 360, add Zoo Tycoon and Forza Horizon 2 and Screamride to the above list)

So "no", then.

EmiPrime

Backwards compatibility with 360, physical games, don't have to use Windows and its store, ease of use/convenience.

Plenty of reasons to keep it, it's just up to you if you value them or not.

Papilloma

For a lot of people, I'm sure that there isn't.

For me there definitely is. I think of some games as more suited to playing on the Xbox than the PC. I like having the option of buying the game for whichever suits me better. The Play Anywhere games are great, because I can mix and match across PC and console depending on what the rest of my family are doing.

For me, a good gaming PC and an Xbox complement one another.

Rare Replay is why me and my wife bought a One.

Now it's also my FFXV machine (still no PS4, money has been tight this holiday) till FFXV hits PC, then I'll double dip.

cyba89

Forza Horizon 3 runs like shit on almost any PC and for the cheap UHD BluRay drive.
At least those are the reasons I bought one.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not to mention if you remember, xbox backtracked on saying all future exclusives will be coming to PC, just the select few that were in the play anywhere schedule, mainly these

Other than Crackdown 3 (which has disappeared off their website), and Phantom Dust and Fable Fortune (which are both coming to PC), this is "all future exclusives" right now.

Yes. If you care about multiplayer you will simply find a stronger population and community around those games on Xbox.

Some games just don't feel right with mouse and keyboard for me either (Gears, Halo, and CoD). I love the option, but I like the controlled context of controller only users online sometimes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think so, no.

I almost got an Xbox One S to use as an Ultra HD Blu-ray player, but I just couldn't justify the extra cost over a cheaper and slightly better dedicated player when I knew that any game I would want to play would also be available on PC. I've got a i7 6700k and GTX 1080, so it's unlikely that even the Scorpio will offer a better Xbox game experience than I can get on the PC.

Gaogaogao

I want to play sunset overdrive, halo and xbox 360 games, once the scorpio comes out

I also want people to play cod and tf2 with

Drago

Backwards compatibility and the handful of great games that don't have PC versions like Rare Replay, Sunset Overdrive and Forza Horizon 2, among other console standard features like the blu ray support and such. If those don't matter to you then yeah it's pretty safe to sell it off.

I've been thinking of selling mine but Rare Replay and BC are too good to pass up. Plus I still need to finish Sunset Overdrive!

Qwyjibo

The UHD blu-ray player?

Although I realize that isn't going to appeal to a huge number of people but, as a blu-ray collector, it was the #1 reason I just recently bought one.

I primarily play on PC but also play on PS4, PS3, and 3DS (my Wii U gathers dust). I was waiting on the PS Neo (now Pro) ever since it was announced to get that as a 4K blu-ray player. It would've made perfect sense to "upgrade" my PS4 to a Pro. When it was announced that it wouldn't have that, I started looking at the Xbox One S instead. A great deal came around and now to my surprise, I own an Xbox. I never thought I'd say.

I realize there won't be many games I'll end up playing on the One S but I will catch up on some exclusives that I never had the chance to play before like the Master Chief Collection, Sunset Overdrive, the early Gears games, and the backwards compatible Fable 2.

kobu

got a link for this because I never heard about them backtracking

Coxy100

Banned
If you have to ask this question then I think you already know the answer

Personally I think there are plenty of reasons to own an Xbox even if you have a PC. But then I'm not dramatic

Jtrizzy

Mine just sits in the closet. I think Halo is the only reason to keep it at this point. I keep thinking I'll trade it and my PS4 in for the PRO, but I can't really come up with any reason to do that either. Just moved from SLI 970's to a single 1070 with a 2600k@4.5 If Scorpio has games at 60 fps, I'll be all over it, but of course devs will prioritize everything but frame rate lol.

Gwyn

Worth keeping for co-op too.
I mean since you going PC someone else(family/gf/bf/friends?) can use the xbox and most exclusives have some kind of co-op, with no added cost since you can game share(digital)

Orayn

Sunset Overdrive, and uh, Halo 5 I guess? 360 BC is also nice depending on which games you missed, especially for the ones that have improved performance.

We had Stinkles basically state outright that Halo 6 would come to PC and it hasn't been formally announced yet, so I'd say it's safe to assume that everything MS publishes will be coming to PC.

You get to use a storefront that actually works, so that's pretty nice I guess.

Steam and PSN both work great. Downloads and installs in particular are much, much better on both platforms than xbox one. Also the sales are dramatically better on both platforms. And both offer a wider variety of games. The more I think about it, the more insane your comment sounds haha.

balohna

If you prefer console form factor and simplicity you get an Xbox, if you want a PC you get a PC. I feel like MS knows this and is embracing it. They might lose a few console sales, but they're keeping people on Windows (the latest version, at that) and potentially selling more software.

Top Bottom