• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge #251 - UE4

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Interesting. Looks like the next gen compromises are already being mentioned upfront. Also good to know that AAA games' budgets can be scaled down due to easier development process.

Pertaining streaming, what exactly does "end of live streaming from optical media" entail? Does he mean that given both next gen consoles are likely to have HDD by default, it would include mandatory installation of games which will alleviate the "pop in" related issues? (this one is a big news).

Abandoning UnrealScript isn't a tradeoff, it's a design shift.

Kismet is now powerful enough to do what UnrealScript did for level designers/game designers/artists, and C++ access is more appropriate/powerful for programmers who need to do something beyond what Kismet does.

i-Lo

Kismet is now powerful enough to do what UnrealScript did for level designers/game designers/artists, and C++ access is more appropriate/powerful for programmers who need to do something beyond what Kismet does.

I meant the trade off in resolution for AA. People's expectation of 1080p with AA (depending upon type) just took a hit.

But what about the comment about using AA or 'graphic horsepower'?

Edit: beaten

charsace

Dropping script and going lower level? That's big news. Everyone is aiming for efficiency now instead of depending on raw power.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Do they say when will UE4 development kit be released to public if at all?

It's already showed up in the Steam registry and their UE3 setup was incredibly indie friendly. UE4 will have a public UDK and I suspect it will hit much more quickly than UE3's did.

It's also a good way to guarantee that schools will use it for teaching instead of a competitor.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I meant the trade off in resolution for AA. People's expectation of 1080p with AA (depending upon type) just took a hit.

But what about the comment about using AA or 'graphic horsepower'?

With a deferred renderer you're pretty much not going to be able to run high levels of MSAA with good performance.

FXAA and other cheap post-processing filters will still be very popular next gen.

I also expect most games to run at 720p, especially given Microsoft is using eDRAM and people like having multiple framebuffers for deferred rendering.

i-Lo bolded "abandoning" though so I assumed he meant that as part of it.

schlew

I immediately thought of Huepow/Hewpow from Klonoa, but have since seen the light. That and, you know, I can't imagine a new Klonoa being made and then earning itself an Edge cover.

*sigh*

i-Lo

With a deferred renderer you're pretty much not going to be able to run high levels of MSAA with good performance.

FXAA and other cheap post-processing filters will still be very popular next gen.

I also expect most games to run at 720p, especially given Microsoft is using eDRAM and people like having multiple framebuffers.

Sorry, I should have clarified better.

So, is the abandonment of the unreal script akin to getting rid of another layer of overhead and code closer to the hardware through C++ (Sorry, I am not well versed in computer science) tied to Kismet?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I thought I could cheat with GIRS using a quick trace job. No success. Cheaters never prosper and all that.

w5sT9Zqm.jpg

Early days of next-gen will include cross-gen games or use heavily modified versions of UE3. Sweeney doesn't know what a next-gen game with $100m budget will look like but he assures us that it will be insane. He talks about the resurgence of the mid-tier game due to digital downloads and says you'll no longer need $100m to make AAA games. He talks about tradeoffs in resolution and whether you use anti-aliasing versus pure graphical horsepower. They asked about multisampling and he said "it's complicated I'm afraid we don't have an answer I can give you." Eventually UE4 will support DX9 and 10, end of live streaming from optical media will end pop-in. They are abandoning UnrealScript and exposing the engine through C++ and for artists through the Kismet editor.
Whatever kills the jaggies in the best way possible man.

Previews
StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm
Dust 514
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
Yakuza 5
Luigi's Mansion 2
SimCity

Features
An audience with Day[9]
Unreal Engine 4
Interview with a couple of MMOG "power gamers"
Places: Nova Prospekt
The making of... Final Fantasy VI
The art of Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena

Interesting that Edge has decided to review episode 1 of Kentucky Route Zero where as they waited for the series to be complete with Walking Dead.

pelican

Yeah that does seem a little too high.

Played it?

Perhaps they like many others enjoyed it. The 7/10 in Edge sits right with me.

Remember being over-critical/negative doesn't equal credibility. Unlike some people think.

I wonder if my sub copy arrived today. Hope so:)

I also expect most games to run at 720p, especially given Microsoft is using eDRAM and people like having multiple framebuffers for deferred rendering.

do you see this being the case on both platforms?

there was a post from the FXAA inventor saying he expects his project to run faster on Orbis?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sorry, I should have clarified better.

So, is the abandonment of the unreal script akin to getting rid of another layer of overhead and code closer to the hardware through C++ (Sorry, I am not well versed in computer science) tied to Kismet?

Essentially Kismet is a visual scripting language that lets artists and designers do relatively simple things with no programming experience. Think of it like GameMaker or RPGMaker for professional developers.

C++ on the other hand lets programmers work very efficiently with the engine.

UnrealScript was a stop-gap measure between Kismet and C++ for things that were too complicated to do in old-Kismet, but simplistic enough that you wouldn't want a programmer to have to deal with all the management necessary in C++. It was also simple enough that a multi-talented artist or designer could learn it without learning tons of coding practices.

Basically they merged the benefit of UnrealScript for those who would actually want to use it into Kismet by making it more functional, and thus removed the need for it.

Here's an elevator built in Kismet 1 for example:

UnrealScript on the other hand looks much more like regular programming:

Code:
class HelloWorld extends GameInfo;

event InitGame( string Options, out string Error )
{
    `log( "Hello, world!" );
}

Edit: www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvfn1p92_8&t=5m55s

That video will show you their newest version of Kismet and skip to the correct timestamp.

---

do you see this being the case on both platforms?

there was a post from the FXAA inventor saying he expects his project to run faster on Orbis?

Well, PS4 isn't vastly faster than the Xbox 720 so if you're aiming at maxing out graphics at 720p, it'd probably be hard to run the same quality at 1080p on the PlayStation 4.

For any per pixel operations we're talking about 2.25 times more pixels versus 50% more FLOPS, and a lot of that flop difference is on compute duty.

Coxy

the pink blush makes it look like a Puni, but I highly doubt Edge would be revealing an Atelier game

Previews
Yakuza 5
japanese version I presume? :(

SJRB

Gold Member
Anyone here played Kentucky Route Zero? I'm strangely intruiged, but I haven't pulled the trigger on the game because of the "rest of the episodes will appear later this year or something, I dunno".

I hate episodic games.

bomma_man

Please be a Chao. I want my Chao Garden back already.

How likely is the cover to be for a brand new IP? Or do they leave any hints for the cover?

the back covers are normally fairly cryptic. not quite as bad as they used to be but still.

anyway edge doesn't get exclusives these days. it's either something you'll already know about or a feature.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Previews
StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm
Dust 514
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
Yakuza 5
Luigi's Mansion 2
SimCity

Features
An audience with Day[9]
Unreal Engine 4
Interview with a couple of MMOG "power gamers"
Places: Nova Prospekt
The making of... Final Fantasy VI
The art of Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena

Interesting that Edge has decided to review episode 1 of Kentucky Route Zero where as they waited for the series to be complete with Walking Dead.
Do they mention anything about "SVOGI" or "Sparse Voxel Octree Global Illumination" in the UE4 article btw?

Gloam

I thought Loco Roco when I saw the teaser. Upon some reflection I think it's the PS4 mascot 'Super Blue'.

Gravijah

I thought I could cheat with GIRS using a quick trace job. No success. Cheaters never prosper and all that.

http://i.imgur.com/w5sT9Zqm.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Why did you cut out the cheeks? With them, it reminds me of a Puni.

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/punimxuj4.png

But I don't think Atelier would be in Edge?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I look forward to hearing more about this and other next gen engines at GDC.

Here's hoping that if they can't get MSAA in they can at least support higher levels of SMAA with UE4. I don't want devs to get forced into having to use FXAA.

Still curious about the lighting situation, the sources about the nerf are dubious and we know at least some kind of advanced GI is in the engine from the Daylight screens. I'd guess it's just not voxel based any more.

I also love hearing Sweeney talk about falling dev costs and the return of the mid budget game. On top of the visuals, lower investment costs and shorter dev times will really help the industry if a lot of these engines are as good for content creation as they say.

That would be horrible. FXAA is the worst of the worst.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
No reason not to use SMAA next gen. Combined with some MSAA In 1080 it should look fantastic, hell even on its own it looks great.

I'm with you, I just hope devs jump on the SMAA wagon since it seems like they love FXAA right now. Crytek seems to be the only one who has implemented it natively so far.

Top Bottom