• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Sarcasm

Hmmm. You sure you beat rom???

Dont teleport there. Follow the path I told you and let me know if the big door is opened.

I got ported after Rom yes. I can see those big things.

I also now remember going by that fountain with the NPC hunter things and down a short cave too.

When I get a chance I will explore that area.

I really hate the healing system in this game. I'm in Old Yharnam trying to kill that cunt on the tower and now I'm without vials or bullets.

Great.

Maybe it's because I've already beaten and platinumed Bloodborne a couple of years ago, but the idea of VERY RELUCTANTLY putting away my kirk for a farming hoe just made me nope nope nope to the title screen.

I tried to give the game a chance last year but got burnt out really early on. I had just beat the first boss on a bridge and was in the sewers when I ran into some unfortunate glitches where i lost a lot of progress so i just kind of gave up and abandoned the game. a few days ago i restarted it again and i'm making good progress! i just beat my third boss and now i'm wandering around in a forest area. the first time i tried playing the game i was using a guide, but now i'm just kind of doing it myself. so, i'm trying not to look things up but i do have a few questions.

i remember reading last time that when building stats, i should just avoid blooding and arcane as those are good for NG+ and advanced players. since i'm not any of those, is that still the case? I have them at around 10 for the moment.

also, i still don't know what insights are. going by the fountain in the cemetery area, i can exchange them for the multiplayer stuff, but what else? is the gascoigne attire any good or worth it? also, i kind of remember once reading that bosses are harder the more insight you have. is that true? i'm sitting at 16 insights and i don't know what to do with them since i'm not going to be doing multiplayer stuff.

oh, and i haven't done it yet, but do i get anything for returning to previous characters/buildings? like, i got the mother's brooch but haven't returned it to the girl who gave me the music box. can i just dump the music box in the storage unit at this point?

any other tips or suggestions for a newish player? i don't ever use the oil urns because it takes too long to thrown them and the molotovs.

lastly, a question on items. what do the shining coins do, and does the bold hunter's mask just warp me back to a lantern without any penalty?

I tried to give the game a chance last year but got burnt out really early on. I had just beat the first boss on a bridge and was in the sewers when I ran into some unfortunate glitches where i lost a lot of progress so i just kind of gave up and abandoned the game. a few days ago i restarted it again and i'm making good progress! i just beat my third boss and now i'm wandering around in a forest area. the first time i tried playing the game i was using a guide, but now i'm just kind of doing it myself. so, i'm trying not to look things up but i do have a few questions.

i remember reading last time that when building stats, i should just avoid blooding and arcane as those are good for NG+ and advanced players. since i'm not any of those, is that still the case? I have them at around 10 for the moment.

also, i still don't know what insights are. going by the fountain in the cemetery area, i can exchange them for the multiplayer stuff, but what else? is the gascoigne attire any good or worth it? also, i kind of remember once reading that bosses are harder the more insight you have. is that true? i'm sitting at 16 insights and i don't know what to do with them since i'm not going to be doing multiplayer stuff.

oh, and i haven't done it yet, but do i get anything for returning to previous characters/buildings? like, i got the mother's brooch but haven't returned it to the girl who gave me the music box. can i just dump the music box in the storage unit at this point?

any other tips or suggestions for a newish player? i don't ever use the oil urns because it takes too long to thrown them and the molotovs.

lastly, a question on items. what do the shining coins do, and does the bold hunter's mask just warp me back to a lantern without any penalty?

For a newish player, I'd stick to just upping your health, stamina, and strength/skill depending on what weapon you use.

You can store the Music Box if you want, you could've used it during one of your boss fights.

Insight: used to buy things and to summon NPCs/other players, so always keep some on you (or at least Madman's Knowledge). Some enemies get new attacks with higher insight but if you keep it around 10-15 I don't think anything changes.

Shining coins are just used to mark your path if you have trouble remembering where you came from.

Bold Hunter's Mark does exactly that, useful if you want to farm.

zoodoo

Adding to the above post:

Arcane and bloodtinge are useful for some specific builds and weapons. For your first run I recommend ignoring them until you want to try different play styles.

Arcane attribute is a kinda like magic stat and is useful only for some equipment later in the game. I never upgraded it my first playthrough.

Bloodtinge is required for some firearms and very few swords (chikage). During my first playthrough, i only upgraded it once cause i wanted to use the repeating pistol which i kept the whole game.

Keep your insight, very useful as coop requires 1 each time you summon. I kept mine between 40/50 the whole game.

As for equipment, they are mostly esthetic. None are perfect unless you want a specific stat boost for a level. Like frenzy resistance. I just wore the one i find the coolest.

Items like molotov or oil urn are useful against some enemies. But as you said, i found them too slow against bosses. I usually used them against regular ennemies.

Tips:

Always carry pebble on you during a level. When you encounter a group of enemies, you can throw one at one enemy and attrack him. Allowing you to take them one by one and not having to deal with a large number at once.

Do not worry too much about losing blood echoes. There is plenty later in the game.

Keep your blood echoe items for when you need to upgrade. Dont use them right away.

Enjoy the hunt.

thanks for the tips!

i'm through the forest (boss battle wasn't that hard, but level was really long) and i just finished the next level (super short, but that boss battle nearly killed me. i knew i had to get behind him, but he kept turning, then wiggling, and then i kept getting hit by everything). that's been one of the toughest fights for me so far.

i just got to the lantern in yahar'gui after all this, and, i noticed. Are enemies going to respawn now?

edit: I haven't used any of the items that i can fuse to weapons. if i do it, can i change them out incase i want to switch weapons, or are the fusion permanent?

zoodoo

thanks for the tips!

i'm through the forest (boss battle wasn't that hard, but level was really long) and i just finished the next level (super short, but that boss battle nearly killed me. i knew i had to get behind him, but he kept turning, then wiggling, and then i kept getting hit by everything). that's been one of the toughest fights for me so far.

i just got to the lantern in yahar'gui after all this, and, i noticed. Are enemies going to respawn now?

What boss are you talking about? What level are you in?

Enemies always respawn when you use a lantern to teleport. Except for bosses, npc hunters and some bell maidens.

What boss are you talking about? What level are you in?

I just beat Rom the Vacuous Spider. All the spiders kept spawning so I just focused on him, but by the time I got to the side of him to attack, he kept rolling around and turning, so it was hard. I used all my health but I finally got him. Since beating him, a scary creature appeared on ceiling of the cathedral, so I ran under it and got to yahar'gui. The boss fight in the forrest against the three hunters wasn't hard at all with the giant pillar able to block and section everyone from one another.

I guess I've skipped a lot of optional areas according to the walkthrough I looked up to get the names of these bosses and areas.

zoodoo

That scary creature can take you to an optional area if you have a certain item and let him grab you.

The area you just started is one of the most annoying to me in the entire game.

One tip:
Find the bell maidens.

That scary creature can take you to an optional area if you have a certain item and let him grab you.

The area you just started is one of the most annoying to me in the entire game.

One tip:
Find the bell maidens.

Yeah, that area was rough. I was able to get to the second lantern in the game, but it was frustrating to do so. Then, I found a broken lantern and three hunters (or 2 and some other creature) that kept killing me, so I ended up just running through them and stumbled into the boss area. I only used one blood vial on the One Reborn boss fight. that was the easiest boss so far, and felt comical in how easy it was for me to beat it.

blakdeth

Just throwing this out there. This is my second attempt at Bloodborne. Despite having played Dark Souls and Dark Souls II to completion, Bloodborne didn't click with me when it was first released. Once I pushed through the first part of Central Yharnam, I really hit my stride. In fact, I would go so far as to say this is up there with the original Dark Souls (having not played Dark Souls III). Giving it another chance has been very rewarding.

Just throwing this out there. This is my second attempt at Bloodborne. Despite having played Dark Souls and Dark Souls II to completion, Bloodborne didn't click with me when it was first released. Once I pushed through the first part of Central Yharnam, I really hit my stride. In fact, I would go so far as to say this is up there with the original Dark Souls (having not played Dark Souls III). Giving it another chance has been very rewarding.
Good to hear. It definately is at least on par with DS1 if not surpassing it in many respects. Enjoy :)

Umm... is the Micolash fight supposed to be this bad/stupid?

I chased him into the first room and fought him until he teleported away, so I chased after him, and then he went into a mirror, so I searched and found him, but then he just kept running away through mirrors and whatnot, and the only time I could get a hit on him was when a skeleton was blocking a doorway and it stopped him from running through a doorway. So, I get a hit in, he then teleports behind the skeleton, and the chase continues.

Then, I got to a room where I was above him in a balcony where he entered from a mirror. If I jumped down, he would run and the chase stuff would repeat. However, if I just threw stuff at him, knives and molotovs and whatnot, he just stayed.

So, that's how I beat him. I just threw junk at him until he died.

Edit: I should say this happened twice. The first time, I thought it was a bug, and I ran out of stuff to throw at him, so I just jumped to my death. Then, I did it again and the same stuff happened.

Edit 2 and 3: I guess I missed out on some stuff. He apparently has different forms and moves? All he did in that first room is shoot tentacles straight ahead, which I dodged and then hit him.

Lure the dwarves out one at a time and then kill them, or try and run past them as fast as possible (there's another corpse here with eight Blood Vials). You'll eventually spot Micolash upstairs so follow him as he goes down to a small room where he jumps down (check for a corpse with Frenzied Coldblood before you jump). Down below, he'll run into a similar room that will close behind him, blocking your progress (there's more Quicksilver Bullets here if you need them).

So, I did run up the staircase, but he ran into a room in a mirror, disappeared, and reappeared into that room with the balcony I described. Except, I jump down, and he just ran. No door closing or anything. He just ran back to the original room where he first disappeared. Odd.

Micolash now has two new attacks with one being punching attacks that can be parried and a devastating magic attack - A Call Beyond - that fires multiple projectiles. The magic attack can be prevented if you shoot him right when it starts. Dodge his attacks and counterattack and he should go down without too many problems.

Since he never stopped running from me, none of that happened! He just ran and ran. And, that's when I just decided to get to the balcony and unload all my knives and molotoves and poisoned knives at him until he died in the most anticlimactic way possible.

Edit 4: And, looking at that guide, I guess I'm almost done with the game. One more level. Hope it ends on a high note because these last few levels have been really disappointing. And, I see the word "endings", and I wonder if it is worth looking up how to get them since this will probably be the only play through I do of the game.

zoodoo

To get the real final boss and "best" ending you need 3 specific items.

Also you can get all the ending by making a backup of your save file before facing the final boss. Once you go fight him there is no turning back and the game restarts automatically.

The way the Micolash fight is supposed to go is you chase him in to a room, then when half his HP is down he will run off again and a new part of the area opens up, you chase him again in to another room where a gate closes after him and you have to jump down from above and fight in the closed room until he dies.

It is a fight that can get a little buggy in the corridors - and for that reason I actually like to take my time, it's rare I fight him the 'proper' way. I shoot him a lot in the corridors and taking down enough of his HP seems to mess with things, or attacking him as he's trying to go through a mirror has completely broken his AI for me on more than one occasion and I just killed him as he stood there doing nothing.

I wouldn't quite say he's the Pinwheel of BB, but the 'real' way to fight him can be very easy and over quickly so I like that it can be buggy or broken. I do like gimmick bosses though.

derFeef

To get the real final boss and "best" ending you need 3 specific items.

Also you can get all the ending by making a backup of your save file before facing the final boss. Once you go fight him there is no turning back and the game restarts automatically.

I equally hate and love such things. Probably more on the hate side though since I will never experience all of it. But I am glad it got made.

What's the most fun weapon in the game? Finished it in 2015 with that generic super big sword you can buy and now I want to play something more exotic. I purchased the Kirkhammer but I don't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Any suggestions?

jviggy43

What's the most fun weapon in the game? Finished it in 2015 with that generic super big sword you can buy and now I want to play something more exotic. I purchased the Kirkhammer but I don't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Any suggestions?

The thing is BB's weapons are all pretty incredible. My first playthrough was with the saw cleaver and the axe as my secondary. I'm using Ludwigs on this current playthrough and find it a bit underwhelming.

Whirligig saw is amazing and has S scaling for STR builds. Simon's bow blade might be my favorite weapon in the game because it has S scaling for Blood tinge and skill which is incredible. Blades of Mercy are great for a skill build. So are both katana's. My Arc Str build is rocking moonlight holy blade and its just a blast to play with.

Finished it last night. Did as some of you suggested and backed up my save so I could experience each ending. Then, I went and found the three items needed for the other ending and beat the game again.

Overall, I'm disappointed. This is the first of these types of games for me. I like how every encounter is important, and that if you play sloppy, things will get sour really fast. However, because the game is so difficult and precise, the bugs I had really soured me. The bosses were my favorite part of the game, and having one be borked sucks. And, I may have had another boss be glitches as well since I went back and read strategies after finishing the game, and another boss didn't do as much as the guide said it would. That, and the two bugs I ran into the first time I tried to play this game last year.

Also, since you can't pause the game, I had to set aside big chunks of my time to play, knowing I couldn't be disturbed while playing it. That resulted in some levels that were really short (the one where you first see the enemy bugs that jump on your head) or really long (the forrest and the one near the end with the bell maidens). That, and the difficulty of some of the levels fluctuated greatly. At one point near the end, I just gave up and decided to run through everything, and I was able to do so and get to the shortcut.

I'd play the bosses again, but I don't want to go through the game to get to the bosses, so I'm not going to do a NG+. Story made no sense, but I'm sure I missed a lot of the lore or whatever. I liked the last few bosses, so it ended strong to me, especially after that miserable Micolash boss bug I encountered.

Glad I finally finished it.

zoodoo

From your posts it was obvious you were not enjoying the game and was rushing to finish it. I understand your frustration regarding the bugs eventhough I never came across any.

I really enjoyed this game, to the point that i bought the whole souls collection and am playing throught dark souls now for the first time.

But i understand it's not for everyone.

Perineum

I figured I would ask here instead of creating its own thread, but:

Just got Dark Souls 2 on the PSN sale for 11 bucks. I tried it back on 360 when it first came out, was super turned off and not into it, and dropped it maybe 5-10 hours in.

What is the best way to enjoy the game as far as starting character and a build? I've never done a mage type in Souls games, and I heard here in DS2 they are really strong. Would I get enjoyment doing that in Scholar of the Worst sin ?

cheesekao

I figured I would ask here instead of creating its own thread, but:

Just got Dark Souls 2 on the PSN sale for 11 bucks. I tried it back on 360 when it first came out, was super turned off and not into it, and dropped it maybe 5-10 hours in.

What is the best way to enjoy the game as far as starting character and a build? I've never done a mage type in Souls games, and I heard here in DS2 they are really strong. Would I get enjoyment doing that in Scholar of the Worst sin ?
IMO, SOTFS is worse than Vanilla because of the remixed enemies and the dumb petrified statue placements. Furthermore, Vanilla DS2 has the best magic and miracles and those got nerfed. Haven't really tried them out so I dunno how viable they are right now.

Perineum

IMO, SOTF is worse than Vanilla because of the remixed enemies and the dumb petrified statue placements. Furthermore, Vanilla DS2 has the best magic and miracles and those got nerfed. Haven't really tried them out so I dunno how viable they are right now.

but but but, 60 FPS, but but but 11 bucks!!! :(

I mean if magic is less viable then I can just go sword and board like a usual DS romp goes. Worse version or not I'm stuck with it lol.

cheesekao

but but but, 60 FPS, but but but 11 bucks!!! :(

I mean if magic is less viable then I can just go sword and board like a usual DS romp goes. Worse version or not I'm stuck with it lol.
Eh, you may like it. The changes made in SOTFS are quite divisive. Some like them, some don't. What exactly did you not like about Vanilla DS2?

Perineum

Eh, you may like it. The changes made in SOTFS are quite divisive. Some like them, some don't. What exactly did you not like about Vanilla DS2?

Well there's very little in the memory chamber from the game, but Demons, Dark 1, and Bloodborne just auto hooked me. The atmosphere was top notch right out of the game, great pacing right in the start, interesting enemies right away, the areas I visited, etc.

Something about DS2 just felt...off. Like it was missing it's heart or soul? Maybe I just didn't get far enough is what I was thinking so I was going to force myself to do 20 hours of it next chance I get.

cheesekao

Well there's very little in the memory chamber from the game, but Demons, Dark 1, and Bloodborne just auto hooked me. The atmosphere was top notch right out of the game, great pacing right in the start, interesting enemies right away, the areas I visited, etc.

Something about DS2 just felt...off. Like it was missing it's heart or soul? Maybe I just didn't get far enough is what I was thinking so I was going to force myself to do 20 hours of it next chance I get.
That definitely isn't a rare sentiment. That along with some changes made to the gameplay are some of the reasons why DS2 was such a disappointment for some people. I hope those 11 bucks you spent aren't wasted.

Perineum

That definitely isn't a rare sentiment. That along with some changes made to the gameplay are some of the reasons why DS2 was such a disappointment for some people. I hope those 11 bucks you spent aren't wasted.

Even if it is, it was only 11 bones. I've played worse stuff for more. :)

So there's a (likely bullshit) rumor circulating on 4chan and Reddit that Bloodborne 2 will not be at E3. Instead From is revealing a new collaboration with Sony called "Phantom Wail."

From Anon on 4chan:

"Bloodborne 2 doesn't exist.

JP Studio and Fromsoft are making Phantom Wail, new game removed from the others. Tribal/aztec looking setting, more kung fu orientated, weapons and movesets are something you create yourself and style in your own way, weapons themselves don't have movesets."

Again, probably nonsense and I hate the concept of reducing the importance of weapons... but that setting would be amazing.

sphinx

the piano man
So there's a (likely bullshit) rumor circulating on 4chan and Reddit that Bloodborne 2 will not be at E3. Instead From is revealing a new collaboration with Sony called "Phantom Wail."

From Anon on 4chan:

"Bloodborne 2 doesn't exist.

JP Studio and Fromsoft are making Phantom Wail, new game removed from the others. Tribal/aztec looking setting, more kung fu orientated, weapons and movesets are something you create yourself and style in your own way, weapons themselves don't have movesets."

Again, probably nonsense and I hate the concept of reducing the importance of weapons... but that setting would be amazing.

so this begs the question, how credible is this rumor?

has this guy ever leaked anything else and been spot on?

They've already said they're not doing BB2, so unless they're blowing smoke let go of those dreams for now and look forward to the several projects they've already said they are doing, one of which is dark fantasy ARPG.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
They've already said they're not doing BB2, so unless they're blowing smoke let go of those dreams for now and look forward to the several projects they've already said they are doing, one of which is dark fantasy ARPG.

1. I once saw a video of David Jaffe looking a camera in the face and saying there would be no new Twisted Metal, and then two years later we get one. People lie about their current projects all the time and Miyazaki is no different.

2. *in a very whiny voice* I don't want a dark fantasy ARPG, we already have a bunch of dark souls. I want a Bloodborne 2

3. Never give up hope! For without it, what are we, but miserable wastes of flesh!

I wouldn't mind the Aztek setting.

i prefer they work on a game with a different setting each time.

That I'm definitely on board with. Japan has a great track record with depictions of Aztec society and culture.

tumblr_nmri7iyxYf1s2kojso1_1280.png

I'm only half joking, the Pillar Men were pretty great.

jviggy43

No they said that it wasn't in their plans but he also specifically said he wouldn't rule it out either.

Melchiah

I'd much rather have a horror (or sci-fi) setting than that, so the rumor doesn't do anything for me unfortunately.

No they said that it wasn't in their plans but he also specifically said he wouldn't rule it out either.
Same thing. Not ruling it out somewhere down the road = they're done (at least for the foreseeable future). We all love From, but lets let them spread their wings so they can grow and stretch their imaginations again. As much fun as DS3 was it definately showed why a company like From should be left to their will and not crank out sequel after sequel.

what about a 2nd DLC??

I'd be down for 3 or 4 more levels and 5 or 6 more bosses.
I wouldn't've minded that too but BB is done, the time for that would've been before DS3 - and that's done too.

Onwards and upwards to new pastures - isn't that exciting :)

xuchu

There's a new WR Any% Speedrun: 29:28.

HOWEVER it uses some quit & load skips that are new to me!

It is from a well known Souls speedruner: Distortion; I am trying to find a link....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGE0Nadd1ME

Distortion is so good. First learned about the DS3 ancient wyvern quick kill from him too. Yeah, seen a lot of the skips in the run but not that OoB Amelia skip. Apparently he found it ages ago but it had no use as quit outs weren't allowed. Sick run and I'm sure he'll beat it soon as well.

I'm thinking about going back and doing another BL4 run but I don't know what NG+ cycle I'm on. Most probably NG++ on the character but I may be NG+++. What's the community decided way on telling which NG+ cycle you're on? Mensis cages?

Kandinsky

Fuck, I cant beat Rom, what a terrible designed boss fight, and the worst/embarrasing thing is I'm probably overleveled haha

My own incompetence maybe lol

Fuck, I cant beat Rom, what a terrible designed boss fight, and the worst/embarrasing thing is I'm probably overleveled haha

My own incompetence maybe lol
What problems are you having with Rom?

It can be tedious, but you can take out all 3 groups of the spiders so it's just you vs Rom. It can be annoying sometimes trying to get in to hit her if she just loops the same attacks like the AoE blast, but it's just a matter of patience really - get in and out after a few attacks, don't get greedy. The ice meteor attack can be either just outrun (watch for her starting the attack then run in any direction) or roll dodged.

Top Bottom